Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
RIP Geronimo 09:05 - Sep 1 with 2447 viewsLord_Lucan

I've been following this story for some time and accept that if he had TB then he should be put down.

There were however good reasons put forward to suggest that the previous tests were flawed, I cannot understand why they couldn't just give one more test? Instead DEFRA turns up heavy handed with a dozen police and manhandles the terrified beast away to be put down.

Am I missing something?

Wasn't the whole thing 100% unnecessary?
[Post edited 1 Sep 2021 9:17]

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

RIP Geronimo on 09:16 - Sep 1 with 1996 viewsDeano69

Couldn’t agree more. It was like they could back down using common sense for fear of losing face.

Even a curfew or resigned to never leaving it home would have been better than the appalling outcome.

My daughter and I have this silly thing about alpacas and llamas, we have adopted them (paper based thing really) and buy each other silly llama/alpaca items.

A few weeks ago Gordon Ramsey was cooking and eating them now this. Poor things.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

RIP Geronimo on 09:18 - Sep 1 with 1989 viewsGuthrum

Geronimo got a lot more leeway than most farm animals. The longer the situation went on, the more chance there was of infecting the rest of the herd and/or other animals.

If it had been an ordinary cow rather than a fluffy, "cute" (they really aren't, close up) alpaca, then I doubt there would have been the same level of protest.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

RIP Geronimo on 09:23 - Sep 1 with 1958 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

RIP Geronimo on 09:18 - Sep 1 by Guthrum

Geronimo got a lot more leeway than most farm animals. The longer the situation went on, the more chance there was of infecting the rest of the herd and/or other animals.

If it had been an ordinary cow rather than a fluffy, "cute" (they really aren't, close up) alpaca, then I doubt there would have been the same level of protest.

Well quite. Witness the 27000 cows slaughtered last year to stop the spread of Bovine TB.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

RIP Geronimo on 09:25 - Sep 1 with 1946 viewsLord_Lucan

That's quite interesting.

I am no expert on Alpacas or general farm animals but from media reports I maybe incorrectly imagine a single Alpaca strolling around at leisure in it's own field eating carrots.

I am though interested in media and PR and as soon as the story hit the media and started to gain momentum it would surely have been common sense to administer another test and put the fire out.

Then, if proved positive it could have been put to sleep peacefully in his own surroundings rather than manhandled and dragged to death.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.

Yeah. (n/t) on 09:26 - Sep 1 with 1930 viewsBloots

Elite Level Poster: Elite Level Supporter: Elite Level Human

RIP Geronimo on 09:28 - Sep 1 with 1935 viewsElderGrizzly

RIP Geronimo on 09:25 - Sep 1 by Lord_Lucan

I am no expert on Alpacas or general farm animals but from media reports I maybe incorrectly imagine a single Alpaca strolling around at leisure in it's own field eating carrots.

I am though interested in media and PR and as soon as the story hit the media and started to gain momentum it would surely have been common sense to administer another test and put the fire out.

Then, if proved positive it could have been put to sleep peacefully in his own surroundings rather than manhandled and dragged to death.

Fairly sure they said the owner put it back in a field with loads of others yesterday to make it difficult for DEFRA to identify it.

She then left for the day too apparently as it would make their job more difficult.

It does seem bizarre they couldn't do one more test and now they have said she can't have an independent vet do part of the autopsy to verify if TB was present.
RIP Geronimo on 09:44 - Sep 1 with 1892 viewsGuthrum

I doubt a further test would have stopped the furore. If it came back positive, there would be claims that one was also "flawed" and "a conspiracy" (they would get that result, wouldn't they), so it continues, in the current climate.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

It amuses me how the media..... on 09:47 - Sep 1 with 1879 viewsBloots

....have been reporting this though.

"Geronimo the alpaca has been killed"

Alpacas are quite trendy at the moment.

I sometimes see the veterinary nurse that put my dog down, I always say "that's the woman that killed my dog".

Drama innit.

Login to get fewer ads

RIP Geronimo on 09:48 - Sep 1 with 1858 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Geronimo on 09:16 - Sep 1 by Deano69

Couldn’t agree more. It was like they could back down using common sense for fear of losing face.

Even a curfew or resigned to never leaving it home would have been better than the appalling outcome.

My daughter and I have this silly thing about alpacas and llamas, we have adopted them (paper based thing really) and buy each other silly llama/alpaca items.

A few weeks ago Gordon Ramsey was cooking and eating them now this. Poor things.

I've eaten alpaca.

Tastes like chicken.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

RIP Geronimo on 09:54 - Sep 1 with 1833 viewsGlasgowBlue

On the plus side, Alpaca actually tastes like chicken

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It amuses me how the media..... on 09:55 - Sep 1 with 1815 viewsGlasgowBlue

It amuses me how the media..... on 09:47 - Sep 1 by Bloots

I sometimes see the veterinary nurse that put my dog down, I always say "that's the woman that killed my dog".

Drama innit.

Geronimo was the people alpaca. He's now sitting in heaven next to Lady Di and Captain Tom.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

It amuses me how the media..... on 09:57 - Sep 1 with 1795 viewsWeWereZombies

It amuses me how the media..... on 09:55 - Sep 1 by GlasgowBlue

Geronimo was the people alpaca. He's now sitting in heaven next to Lady Di and Captain Tom.

They probably have him on the barbeque right now...

It amuses me how the media..... on 10:22 - Sep 1 with 1728 viewsLord_Lucan

It amuses me how the media..... on 09:47 - Sep 1 by Bloots

Drama innit.

Artsbossbeard killed my rabbit.

It amuses me how the media..... on 10:58 - Sep 1 with 1653 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

It amuses me how the media..... on 10:22 - Sep 1 by Lord_Lucan

Artsbossbeard killed my rabbit.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

RIP Geronimo on 11:27 - Sep 1 with 1594 viewsDropCliffsNotBombs

Weren't both tests done back in 2017? That's a long time for this to rumble on without doing another to check and put any debate to bed.
RIP Geronimo on 11:38 - Sep 1 with 1575 viewsstonojnr

Alpacas are herd animals, that live in social/family groups, so it would actually harm the animal to keep it in some kind of solitary confinement for the rest of its life, not that it would guarantee it from spreading it further anyway.

also I dont think Alpacas get quite the same amount of space your average herd of cows or sheep get to roam on farmland, they seem to be quite contained paddocks from what Ive observed in Suffolk at least.

Im sure the officials involved would have preferred to do it with the minimum fuss and least harm & distress to the animal, but as soon as the owner chose to be less than fully cooperative, and protestors promised to disrupt it, it became what transpired.
RIP Geronimo on 11:46 - Sep 1 with 1558 viewsZx1988

Or, on the other hand, if he wasn't such a brilliant distraction from other potentially-newsworthy items, there probably wouldn't have been quite the same level of manufactured controversy.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

RIP Geronimo on 11:47 - Sep 1 with 1553 viewsNthQldITFC

Not sure that quite that number of stormtroopers were necessary, but I expect they enjoyed themselves. Why could it not have been done quietly, in private, in situ. Surely if we were in the habit of 'putting down' humans with contagious diseases, we would afford ourselves a little more dignity before and during the kill, televised or otherwise?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

RIP Geronimo on 11:53 - Sep 1 with 1539 viewsleitrimblue

RIP Geronimo on 09:48 - Sep 1 by WeWereZombies

I've eaten alpaca.

Tastes like chicken.

Seems very popular in Scotland. I wonder if eventually the alpaca will become as common a sight on Scottish hillsides as the haggis is now?
RIP Geronimo on 12:00 - Sep 1 with 1515 viewsEdwardStone

RIP Geronimo on 11:53 - Sep 1 by leitrimblue

Seems very popular in Scotland. I wonder if eventually the alpaca will become as common a sight on Scottish hillsides as the haggis is now?

This is the Haggis with two long and two short legs, so they can comfortably graze on a hillside?
RIP Geronimo on 12:12 - Sep 1 with 1481 viewsleitrimblue

RIP Geronimo on 12:00 - Sep 1 by EdwardStone

This is the Haggis with two long and two short legs, so they can comfortably graze on a hillside?

That's the one
RIP Geronimo on 13:01 - Sep 1 with 1385 viewsWeWereZombies

RIP Geronimo on 12:00 - Sep 1 by EdwardStone

He's noo yer regular backpacker, he's Big Al Paca (seen from the back, from the front he could be mistaken for a Highland Terrier.)

RIP Geronimo on 13:13 - Sep 1 with 1365 viewsLord_Lucan

RIP Geronimo on 11:38 - Sep 1 by stonojnr

Alpacas are herd animals, that live in social/family groups, so it would actually harm the animal to keep it in some kind of solitary confinement for the rest of its life, not that it would guarantee it from spreading it further anyway.

also I dont think Alpacas get quite the same amount of space your average herd of cows or sheep get to roam on farmland, they seem to be quite contained paddocks from what Ive observed in Suffolk at least.

Im sure the officials involved would have preferred to do it with the minimum fuss and least harm & distress to the animal, but as soon as the owner chose to be less than fully cooperative, and protestors promised to disrupt it, it became what transpired.

As far as I understood it the owner was just asking for a new reliable test and if positive would have got her own vet to shoot the thing.

Animal lovers...... on 13:57 - Sep 1 with 1297 viewsFattyBoomBoom

....everywhere.

Most of whom are happy to eat meat and dairy, thus contributing to the continued mass breeding, enslavement, torture and murder of baby and juvenile sentient beings for a few minutes of taste pleasure.

Watch Dominion on YouTube.

At least do animals the courtesy of acknowledging what they go through in their short and terrifying existence.

This story is sad, but pales so far into insignifance compared to what goes on every day.
Surely it's a lifetime of...... on 14:09 - Sep 1 with 1274 viewsBloots

Animal lovers...... on 13:57 - Sep 1 by FattyBoomBoom

....everywhere.

Most of whom are happy to eat meat and dairy, thus contributing to the continued mass breeding, enslavement, torture and murder of baby and juvenile sentient beings for a few minutes of taste pleasure.

Watch Dominion on YouTube.

At least do animals the courtesy of acknowledging what they go through in their short and terrifying existence.

This story is sad, but pales so far into insignifance compared to what goes on every day.

..."taste pleasure" rather than a few minutes?

I fully acknowledge their commitment to the cause.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024