Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? 10:04 - Sep 14 with 769 viewsRyorry

Esp when using from cold or sleep mode. 2013 MacBookAir, using Chrome. Have tried Firefox but don't like it! Should I do a 'clean'? Have Malwarebytes running in background.

Cheers if you can help.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 10:10 - Sep 14 with 750 viewsDanTheMan

I'm not a Mac expert but...

https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/activity-monitor/actmntr1001/mac

If you open up the Activity Monitor and look at both the CPU and Memory tabs, is the percentage in use high.

I would say that unless you've been upgrading your Mac, 8 years is quite a good innings for a laptop.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 10:12 - Sep 14 with 744 viewsSWGF

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 10:10 - Sep 14 by DanTheMan

If you open up the Activity Monitor and look at both the CPU and Memory tabs, is the percentage in use high.

I would say that unless you've been upgrading your Mac, 8 years is quite a good innings for a laptop.

And, after 8yrs, will be out of warranty. Thus hindering the "Return of the Mac"

Poll: What constitutes "too many" when it comes to a daily intake of custard creams?
Blog: Mirroring the Last Rites of Keane's Reign

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 10:31 - Sep 14 with 699 viewsMookamoo

Can you disable/uninstall Malwarebytes? Whenever I install anti-virus stuff on a Mac it always clogs it up and makes it run slow - personally I don't bother anymore.

The Activity Monitor should tell you what the issue is. I have an Adobe related issue which grinds my machine to a halt. Its a pain
https://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/global/high_cpu_usage_cephtmlengine.html

The best way to keep it going would be to do a complete fresh OS install.
Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 10:33 - Sep 14 with 688 viewsLesta_Tractor

Download and run 'etre check', that'll give you a useful system report

1:23:47, 38:26
Poll: What is more important to you?

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 10:40 - Sep 14 with 675 viewsRobTheMonk

We had some old iMacs at work that rather than replace, we now run them off an external Solid State Drive (rather than taking the iMac to bits) as they still had mechanical hard drives in them. It made so much quicker.
Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:08 - Sep 14 with 564 viewsEly_Blue

What iOS are you running?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:09 - Sep 14 with 561 viewsRyorry

Thanks Dan & all who replied 👍

Atm, have just looked at the CPU % which is varying between

2-5% systems
2-18% user
78%-94% idle (which I guess is high! I have about 80 tabs open on 3 windiows).

I also emailed my ISP overnight & have just had a reply saying they've remotely updated my router. So I just checked my speed & that's definitely improved from 14.4 down & about 4.8 up last night, to 21.99 down & 5.88 up, which has certainly helped things.

I know it may be time to replace - the poor ol thing gets heavy use & much of the keyboard lettering got wiped away, plus the 'e' stopped functioning altogether, so had to get a 'magic' keyboard added on; plus one of the ports stopped working years ago! so only have one available which I've had to stick a "multiplier" into for the remote mouse & ext HDD which serves as backup.

Meanwhile, also just found this - useful & will follow some of the advice here too -

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/how-to-fix-performance-issues-for-a-slo

ETA - Ely - Mojave 10.14.6
[Post edited 14 Sep 2021 12:11]

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:10 - Sep 14 with 556 viewschicoazul

Try lightly brushing the keyboard with a mix of oil and milk using a steel wire brush. This should work.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Login to get fewer ads

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:13 - Sep 14 with 543 viewsRyorry

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:10 - Sep 14 by chicoazul

Try lightly brushing the keyboard with a mix of oil and milk using a steel wire brush. This should work.

I'd need you to test drink a pint that for me first. Tia

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:37 - Sep 14 with 511 viewshype313

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:09 - Sep 14 by Ryorry

2-5% systems
2-18% user

I also emailed my ISP overnight & have just had a reply saying they've remotely updated my router. So I just checked my speed & that's definitely improved from 14.4 down & about 4.8 up last night, to 21.99 down & 5.88 up, which has certainly helped things.

I know it may be time to replace - the poor ol thing gets heavy use & much of the keyboard lettering got wiped away, plus the 'e' stopped functioning altogether, so had to get a 'magic' keyboard added on; plus one of the ports stopped working years ago! so only have one available which I've had to stick a "multiplier" into for the remote mouse & ext HDD which serves as backup.

Meanwhile, also just found this - useful & will follow some of the advice here too -

https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blog/how-to-fix-performance-issues-for-a-slo

80 Tabs!!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:39 - Sep 14 with 506 viewsDanTheMan

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:09 - Sep 14 by Ryorry

2-5% systems
2-18% user

I'd be interested the see the memory usage with 80 tabs!

Looking at the stats for the machine you said you have, it has about 4GB of RAM which is really little now. You might find someone who can upgrade that for you but honestly it's probably time for a new laptop.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Laptop running slow, any suggestions pls? on 12:40 - Sep 14 with 505 viewsnodge_blue

I had the same problem with chrome on my old iMac. It seems to have a habit of opening loads of sessions that don't close. As someone else said if you look in your memory usage you can see them all. I had to switch to using Safari which didnt have the same problems.

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024