Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time 15:51 - Sep 16 with 4102 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

for the first time in 17 years, speaking to more than 250 artists, writers, and industry figures.

I don't know how one undertakes such a task. Like what constitutes a great song anyway? Even the definition is subjective, let alone before you get into preferences.

It piqued my interest because I laughed at a mate declaring the other day that Last Man On Earth by Wolf Alice is the greatest song ever written. I mean, it's a great song, but really? Ahead of all those famous classics? But then who am I to scoff? It's as valid as any other.

And also, surely your favourite songs change on a regular basis, depending on a myriad of factors - your mood at that moment, what was happening when you first heard the song, whether you prefer lyrics or tunes. Even favourite genres can be wildly different, so you end up with comparing apples with oranges.

An interesting discussion at least.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/

I obviously jumped to number one and couldn't really argue with it. I won't spoil it by revealing it here.

No.5 surprised me. Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. It's a great song, don't get me wrong. iconic for it's time. But the 5th best song EVER?!

The Beatles only have one entry in the top 10, surprisingly. And Strawberry Fields Forever isn't even their best song IMO.

And also, how the hell is Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' the 10th best song ever?!?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:39 - Sep 17 with 522 viewsDanTheMan

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:34 - Sep 17 by GlasgowBlue

Rosa Parks and Ms Jackson are far better.

Hey Ya is a hit lightweight. May as well have Pharell’s Happy or Taylor swift’s Shake It in the top 10.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 8:35]

Again I think that's harsh on it, personally. Hard to argue musical opinions, but I think Hey Ya is a way better song than Happy or Shake it.

Although I prefer B.O.B from that album.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:39 - Sep 17 with 521 viewsWeWereZombies

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:34 - Sep 17 by GlasgowBlue

Rosa Parks and Ms Jackson are far better.

Hey Ya is a hit lightweight. May as well have Pharell’s Happy or Taylor swift’s Shake It in the top 10.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 8:35]

I wonder if any of them will have the staying power of 'Auld Lang Syne'?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:45 - Sep 17 with 513 viewsghostofescobar

Rolling Stone have put a playlist of these 500 songs on Spotify. And for those knocking Hey Ya, it is one of the most perfect slices of joyous pop ever made! For me, La Ritournelle always stops me in my tracks: it can make me smile or cry, depending on what mood I'm in. Reckoner comes close. Dreams by Josh Ritter can also make the world stop for a few minutes. But let's face is, there is no "best". I don't even know what my "best" songs are, they change every day. It's like choosing your favourite child.

GhostOfEscobar

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time (n/t) on 08:56 - Sep 17 with 506 viewskeighleyblue

[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 9:02]
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:58 - Sep 17 with 503 viewsThe_Last_Baron

A pointless exercise from a pointless magazine.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 09:17 - Sep 17 with 493 viewsWeWereZombies

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:58 - Sep 17 by The_Last_Baron

A pointless exercise from a pointless magazine.

Maybe 'Rolling Stone' has become a pointless magazine but in the early 1970s I used to buy it occasionally and it was interesting to see the US perspective on alternative societies, music and culture. I think it was where I first read Hunter S. Thompson when they printed an extract from 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 09:21 - Sep 17 with 486 viewsHerbivore

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:39 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Again I think that's harsh on it, personally. Hard to argue musical opinions, but I think Hey Ya is a way better song than Happy or Shake it.

It's the definition of a banger.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 09:29 - Sep 17 with 475 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:49 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

Bloody hell that song is utter sh1te.

A song that was taken on by both the civil rights and feminist movement and you can dance to it. It has everything, and is far from utter sh1te.

On a side note, and this is by no means aimed at you mate, but there is still a lot of racist and misogynistic thinking when it comes to assessing music.

Less so now since black music went mainstream in the late 80’s when Hip-Hop became more popular amongst white music listeners. But when I was a teenager in the late 70’s/ early 80’s, the black music I preferred to listen too was looked down on by white rock fans as being inferior and less serious.

Even today there are misogynistic views that if a band is liked predominately by women then it is inferior to more serious music. That music like by men is more serious.

Again, not aimed at you.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Login to get fewer ads

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 09:35 - Sep 17 with 455 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:39 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Really it’s two solo albums rather than an OutKast double album. At the time I preferred Speakerbixxx to the Love Below.

Must admit, I haven’t listened to either for some years.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 11:35 - Sep 17 with 418 viewsThe_Last_Baron

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 09:17 - Sep 17 by WeWereZombies

Maybe 'Rolling Stone' has become a pointless magazine but in the early 1970s I used to buy it occasionally and it was interesting to see the US perspective on alternative societies, music and culture. I think it was where I first read Hunter S. Thompson when they printed an extract from 'Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas'.

It was a much different publication back then and had some worth. Now it sticks the Boston bomber on its cover and writes nonsensical articles like this. These lists have contaminated music magazines for 25 years.

Poll: Would you support a permanent return to the old yellow Town badge?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 12:22 - Sep 17 with 400 viewsElephantintheRoom

Kind of reflects the pretentiousness, age, nationality and and musical interests of 250 people - rather a small sample I suspect for such a task

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024