Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time 15:51 - Sep 16 with 4101 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

for the first time in 17 years, speaking to more than 250 artists, writers, and industry figures.

I don't know how one undertakes such a task. Like what constitutes a great song anyway? Even the definition is subjective, let alone before you get into preferences.

It piqued my interest because I laughed at a mate declaring the other day that Last Man On Earth by Wolf Alice is the greatest song ever written. I mean, it's a great song, but really? Ahead of all those famous classics? But then who am I to scoff? It's as valid as any other.

And also, surely your favourite songs change on a regular basis, depending on a myriad of factors - your mood at that moment, what was happening when you first heard the song, whether you prefer lyrics or tunes. Even favourite genres can be wildly different, so you end up with comparing apples with oranges.

An interesting discussion at least.
https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-lists/best-songs-of-all-time-1224767/

I obviously jumped to number one and couldn't really argue with it. I won't spoil it by revealing it here.

No.5 surprised me. Nirvana, 'Smells Like Teen Spirit'. It's a great song, don't get me wrong. iconic for it's time. But the 5th best song EVER?!

The Beatles only have one entry in the top 10, surprisingly. And Strawberry Fields Forever isn't even their best song IMO.

And also, how the hell is Outkast, 'Hey Ya!' the 10th best song ever?!?

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

The problem with these lists is that.... on 18:24 - Sep 16 with 923 viewsDubtractor

The problem with these lists is that.... on 16:11 - Sep 16 by Bloots

...they tend to err towards "most influential" rather than "best".

I can already see a lot of examples of that.

Plus of course people tend to to be desperately pretentious in an attempt to look cool as well.

Personally, I'm disappointed that "The Land of Make Believe" hasn't made the list.

If Rock me Amadeus by Falco isn't in the list, then I'm declaring the whole thing null and void.

In all seriousness, I am an utter music obsessive, my life revolves around it, but I'll rarely bother looking at these lists because a) it's all too subjective and b) music's popularity plays too big a part in it.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:27 - Sep 16 with 921 viewsIllinoisblue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:51 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

The biggest pile of sh1t song of all time is at 10. Wow.

Without looking, is it Bohemian Rhapsody?

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:35 - Sep 16 with 905 viewspositivity

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:27 - Sep 16 by Illinoisblue

17, 2 places higher than the real worst song...

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:35 - Sep 16 with 901 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:27 - Sep 16 by Illinoisblue

No that was well down at like 47 or something.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:36 - Sep 16 with 897 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:49 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

Bloody hell that song is utter sh1te.

Oi, have a little bit more R.E.S.P.E.C.T.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:41 - Sep 16 with 886 viewsjaykay

is Nights In White Satin and Whiter Shade of Pale in that 100 if not why not

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 19:27 - Sep 16 with 839 viewsfactual_blue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:49 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

Bloody hell that song is utter sh1te.

Spoken like a fifty-two percenter.

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

The problem with these lists is that.... on 19:36 - Sep 16 with 834 viewsIllinoisblue

The problem with these lists is that.... on 18:24 - Sep 16 by Dubtractor

If Rock me Amadeus by Falco isn't in the list, then I'm declaring the whole thing null and void.

In all seriousness, I am an utter music obsessive, my life revolves around it, but I'll rarely bother looking at these lists because a) it's all too subjective and b) music's popularity plays too big a part in it.

First 7inch single I ever bought. Banger of a tune.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 19:44 - Sep 16 with 829 viewsDebsyAngel

Not likely to have anything I would consider that great! I have my own all time favourite songs - and no suprise, none of them are in this list! Songs that make you laugh, cry, think, just sit and listen...
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 19:59 - Sep 16 with 803 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 18:15 - Sep 16 by Herbivore

Probably because Oasis are sh!te, mate.

And yet the whole of music wishes they were Oasis.

The GOAT band

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:06 - Sep 16 with 792 viewsPhilTWTD

That was my assumption as well.
Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:08 - Sep 16 with 792 viewsCoastalblue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 19:59 - Sep 16 by The_Romford_Blue

The GOAT band

They're OK in small doses but they're never likely to fare particularly well in lists like this because they're quite derertive rather than being innovative which is what generally tends to score the points.

I wouldn't really argue with number one, though it wouldn't be my choice, best is very hard to quantify though, most influential songs or something of a similar ilk would make more sense.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:17 - Sep 16 with 781 viewsnoggin

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 19:59 - Sep 16 by The_Romford_Blue

The GOAT band

You haven't listened to much music, have you Rommers?

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:25 - Sep 16 with 772 viewsThe_Romford_Blue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:17 - Sep 16 by noggin

You haven't listened to much music, have you Rommers?

My favourite music is never really going to be popular on here haha - The 1975, Gerry Cinnamon, Courteeners, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis would be my most listened to five artists.

Poll: Would we sell out our allocation for Wembley for a PJ Trophy final?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:30 - Sep 16 with 760 viewsCoastalblue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:25 - Sep 16 by The_Romford_Blue

My favourite music is never really going to be popular on here haha - The 1975, Gerry Cinnamon, Courteeners, Arctic Monkeys, Oasis would be my most listened to five artists.

I doubt many of us would have a top 5 most listened to artists that would be very popular on here, that's the biggest beauty of music and a good reason why lists like this don't really work.

I don't care if somebody's favourite artists are Bucks Fizz and Abba, if they're into it then I respect them for it, as long as they have headphones.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:53 - Sep 16 with 738 viewsWeWereZombies

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:30 - Sep 16 by Coastalblue

I doubt many of us would have a top 5 most listened to artists that would be very popular on here, that's the biggest beauty of music and a good reason why lists like this don't really work.

I don't care if somebody's favourite artists are Bucks Fizz and Abba, if they're into it then I respect them for it, as long as they have headphones.

Unless I blinked and missed it, now that I have gone through the whole list there is not one ABBA song, which is barmy when you think about how influential they are and, like it or not, they knew how to put a song together.

Also, no Edith Piaf - what bunch of lame brains puts together a list of five hundred 'greatest songs' without including 'Non je regrettez rein' or 'La vie en rose'?

And another thing, I only noticed one Elvis song and it wasn't 'Heartbreak Hotel' or 'Hound Dog'

I was, however, wrong in my initial criticism of everything being in English. There are three songs in Spanish and one in Portuguese - whoop de doo...and no Oum Kalthoum, no Asha Bhosle, no Khalid, no Miriam Makeba, I could go on...at great length...

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 21:29 - Sep 16 with 710 viewsHerbivore

The GOAT band

Oh dear.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 22:34 - Sep 16 with 684 viewspositivity

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 20:53 - Sep 16 by WeWereZombies

Unless I blinked and missed it, now that I have gone through the whole list there is not one ABBA song, which is barmy when you think about how influential they are and, like it or not, they knew how to put a song together.

Also, no Edith Piaf - what bunch of lame brains puts together a list of five hundred 'greatest songs' without including 'Non je regrettez rein' or 'La vie en rose'?

And another thing, I only noticed one Elvis song and it wasn't 'Heartbreak Hotel' or 'Hound Dog'

I was, however, wrong in my initial criticism of everything being in English. There are three songs in Spanish and one in Portuguese - whoop de doo...and no Oum Kalthoum, no Asha Bhosle, no Khalid, no Miriam Makeba, I could go on...at great length...

it's an american list, don't think abba were as huge there as everywhere else, same with oasis mentioned elsewhere.

surprised about elvis though. in the ghetto?

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 01:06 - Sep 17 with 654 viewsMelford

Strawberry Fields Forever is their best song.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:08 - Sep 17 with 579 viewsWeWereZombies

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 01:06 - Sep 17 by Melford

I prefer 'In My Life' for the reflective and romantic mood it generates, it's more comforting and at the same time more practical and well intentioned.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:14 - Sep 17 with 578 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 01:06 - Sep 17 by Melford

I beg to differ. A Day In The Life for me.

It was, however, a milestone in terms of innervation and influence. To think it was recorded just three years after they recorded She Loves You.

That’s like One a direction recording OK Computer just three years after recoding What Makes You Beautiful.

Edit. 10001 songs you must here before you die is a much better list.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 8:15]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:16 - Sep 17 with 575 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

I'd have Yesterday, Let It Be and Hey Jude above it.

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:22 - Sep 17 with 572 viewsDanTheMan

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 17:51 - Sep 16 by J2BLUE

The biggest pile of sh1t song of all time is at 10. Wow.

That's pretty harsh on Hey Ya.

Andre 3000 is pretty damn great all round.

Number 10, I don't know, but it's a great track.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:24 - Sep 17 with 567 viewsHerbivore

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:22 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Agreed, though I am unsurprised it's not J2's cup of tea.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:34 - Sep 17 with 550 viewsGlasgowBlue

Rolling Stone have compiled the 500 greatest songs of all time on 08:22 - Sep 17 by DanTheMan

Rosa Parks and Ms Jackson are far better.

Hey Ya is a hit lightweight. May as well have Pharell’s Happy or Taylor swift’s Shake It in the top 10.
[Post edited 17 Sep 2021 8:35]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024