Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A false dawn 18:46 - Sep 25 with 1957 viewsHARRY10

Lincoln suggests it may well have been, as today was set to be the beginning of the promotion push -and the best I've heard people say is 'well we were better than the Bolton game'.

Bar a few inches offside and a silly keeper error, we would be sat bottom. However we might have snatched it at the end and been two places higher. And over the 8 games so far it has been about last minute goals, which have sort of evened themselves out.

But there have not been the performances that suggest we can even make the play offs, never mind automatics. Weds have stumbled of late, and these are games that we would have been expecting to win previously. Games we actually need to win.

You succeed by grinding out results on bad days - they are where the difference lies come the end of the season.

Winning the odd game here or there is what has put Weds and Lincoln mid-table, and not winning is why we are where we are now. We are not battling to stay in the top two, or even the play off places.

We are struggling to get out of the relegation zone - and nothing today really suggested we will do much more than perhaps win that struggle, but that is all.
A false dawn on 18:48 - Sep 25 with 1671 viewschrismakin

"and these are games that we would have been expecting to win previously"

This is the biggest problem. To many fans expect things they really shouldn't

Never be afraid to share your thoughts.
Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?
Blog: We Need to Go Back to the Past to Go Forwards

A false dawn on 18:56 - Sep 25 with 1632 viewsHARRY10

A false dawn on 18:48 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

Can't agree

Roll back to the start of the season, and the thought was on a promotion certainty, and so games like these were ones we would have expected to win.

The point being that we are not hitting the level that a promotion chasing side should be achieving.

If you cannot beat mid table teams then you are not going to be in the top six.
A false dawn on 19:01 - Sep 25 with 1613 viewschrismakin

A false dawn on 18:56 - Sep 25 by HARRY10

Can't agree

Roll back to the start of the season, and the thought was on a promotion certainty, and so games like these were ones we would have expected to win.

The point being that we are not hitting the level that a promotion chasing side should be achieving.

If you cannot beat mid table teams then you are not going to be in the top six.

If the season goes as you suggest, Sheff won't be a midtable side by the end of it based on expectation..

There should have been 0 expectation, and still 0 expectation. As mentioned many times before there are handful of clubs who's fans expect promotion. Some of these fans are going to be dissapointed.

Poll: As TWTD polls influence Ashton.. what should he have for breakfast tomorrow?

A false dawn on 19:02 - Sep 25 with 1606 viewsChurchman

The reality is we are 20th. This time next week we will be 10 games in and the table will reflect how good we are. No excuses, no more ‘gelling’ and that other nonsense. We will belong where we are.

We are an established League One club. A club everyone likes to play because get stuck in, find the gaps and the points are yours. No more no less. But with the ownership changes and so called better players, my expectation was that by 10 games in we would begin to look like a proper, competitive team. Be at worse mid table/in touch with the play offs. That our players would begin to be showing.

For whatever reason this just hasn’t happened. Is it poor players, poor coaching, clueless manager, players thinking they’re at easy living Town where mediocrity has been the target for years? A combination? I don’t know. What I do know is that it’s not good enough and something needs to change.
A false dawn on 19:07 - Sep 25 with 1576 viewschrismakin

A false dawn on 19:02 - Sep 25 by Churchman

The reality is we are 20th. This time next week we will be 10 games in and the table will reflect how good we are. No excuses, no more ‘gelling’ and that other nonsense. We will belong where we are.

We are an established League One club. A club everyone likes to play because get stuck in, find the gaps and the points are yours. No more no less. But with the ownership changes and so called better players, my expectation was that by 10 games in we would begin to look like a proper, competitive team. Be at worse mid table/in touch with the play offs. That our players would begin to be showing.

For whatever reason this just hasn’t happened. Is it poor players, poor coaching, clueless manager, players thinking they’re at easy living Town where mediocrity has been the target for years? A combination? I don’t know. What I do know is that it’s not good enough and something needs to change.

except the gaps aren't there, they've been closed. You ask for improvement, it's happening.

Win Tuesday, 7 points out of 9 and potentially 3 points from playoffs, which after the start we had, isn't as bad as it could have been/or be if we lose tues lol.

A false dawn on 19:11 - Sep 25 with 1555 viewsHARRY10

A false dawn on 19:01 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

If the season goes as you suggest, Sheff won't be a midtable side by the end of it based on expectation..

There should have been 0 expectation, and still 0 expectation. As mentioned many times before there are handful of clubs who's fans expect promotion. Some of these fans are going to be dissapointed.

I have not stated how the season will go - I merely pointed out what our current standard of play will deliver (note the word current)

and I have not the slightest idea of what your comments on Weds mean

And I am sure almost every Town fan will disagree with your talk of '0 expectation', given the hype about investment and the new squad. If that does not lead to any expectation, I don't know what would. Nor would I dismiss any expectation to have been promotion either.
A false dawn on 19:13 - Sep 25 with 1537 viewsgtsb1966

I think we'll win the next four league games.
A false dawn on 19:16 - Sep 25 with 1504 viewschrismakin

A false dawn on 19:11 - Sep 25 by HARRY10

I have not stated how the season will go - I merely pointed out what our current standard of play will deliver (note the word current)

and I have not the slightest idea of what your comments on Weds mean

And I am sure almost every Town fan will disagree with your talk of '0 expectation', given the hype about investment and the new squad. If that does not lead to any expectation, I don't know what would. Nor would I dismiss any expectation to have been promotion either.

My comment about sheff wed is regarding your talk about pre season expectations of clubs, sheff wed should be right up there come end of season. So to call them midtable and sides we 'should' beat is premature if based on pre season expectations.

The least we wanted to see recently was some improvement and we've clearly seen it, despite this, it still isn't good enough has there's this quite bizarre thought that you can just overnight change from struggling to winning expected games..... the bare minimum was seeing some form of management being done and work being done behind the scenes, it's clear it has been, yet it's a false dawn because we didn't beat sheff wed?

Login to get fewer ads

A false dawn on 19:27 - Sep 25 with 1461 viewsHARRY10

A false dawn on 19:16 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

My comment about sheff wed is regarding your talk about pre season expectations of clubs, sheff wed should be right up there come end of season. So to call them midtable and sides we 'should' beat is premature if based on pre season expectations.

The least we wanted to see recently was some improvement and we've clearly seen it, despite this, it still isn't good enough has there's this quite bizarre thought that you can just overnight change from struggling to winning expected games..... the bare minimum was seeing some form of management being done and work being done behind the scenes, it's clear it has been, yet it's a false dawn because we didn't beat sheff wed?

I am not sure Weds fans thought they would be much more than mid table.

" quite bizarre thought that you can just overnight change from struggling to winning expected games"

that excuse has long been put to bed, as numerous other teams have rebuilt their squads and not failed as badly as we have.

As to work being done behind the scenes that takes it to levels of absurdity. EVERY club has work done behind the scenes. Or do you think they all go home and do not meet up again until an hour or so before the next game ?

It is what that work behind the scenes is achieving that is the problem/concern.

7 points out of 24, and two cup defeats says it all.
A false dawn on 19:33 - Sep 25 with 1415 viewschrismakin

A false dawn on 19:27 - Sep 25 by HARRY10

I am not sure Weds fans thought they would be much more than mid table.

" quite bizarre thought that you can just overnight change from struggling to winning expected games"

that excuse has long been put to bed, as numerous other teams have rebuilt their squads and not failed as badly as we have.

As to work being done behind the scenes that takes it to levels of absurdity. EVERY club has work done behind the scenes. Or do you think they all go home and do not meet up again until an hour or so before the next game ?

It is what that work behind the scenes is achieving that is the problem/concern.

7 points out of 24, and two cup defeats says it all.

Hang on, Im talking about Post Bolton, not since begining of the season.. Your false dawn is based on Lincoln win, not beginning of season.

We've got 4 points out of 6, going into Tuesday, with the manager clearly stating and the games clearly showing what they've been working on intensely since Bolton. But instead of applauding it, you're going full negative still rather than embracing the fact we have actually worked on something and so far the signs of this look promising that we've overcome the defensive issues we had. The next step will be to get the balance right, which had Bonne had his shooting boots on, we have even celebrated a win again today.

You ask PC to show signs of turning it around, yet when the signs are there they are ignored....

A false dawn on 19:39 - Sep 25 with 1391 viewshomer_123

A false dawn on 19:13 - Sep 25 by gtsb1966

When was the last time we won four in a row?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

A false dawn on 19:44 - Sep 25 with 1360 viewsHARRY10

A false dawn on 19:33 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

Hang on, Im talking about Post Bolton, not since begining of the season.. Your false dawn is based on Lincoln win, not beginning of season.

We've got 4 points out of 6, going into Tuesday, with the manager clearly stating and the games clearly showing what they've been working on intensely since Bolton. But instead of applauding it, you're going full negative still rather than embracing the fact we have actually worked on something and so far the signs of this look promising that we've overcome the defensive issues we had. The next step will be to get the balance right, which had Bonne had his shooting boots on, we have even celebrated a win again today.

You ask PC to show signs of turning it around, yet when the signs are there they are ignored....

Are we being issued with a defence now ?

And you seem to be confusing yourself about expectation and current reality.

The first is about how almost all fans saw the season as panning out. The second is how it is panning out.

And as stated, the odd late goal either way is currently deciding games - not any supposed much improved play. That we are not conceding five (Bolton) is not a sign that we are improving, merely that a one off game has not been repeated. And that is not some great positive either.

We are 8 games in. We have won only one game out of 10 so far, and sit in the relegation zone. Nothing on the pitch so far has given me and many others thought that we can live up to what a suggested multi million pound squad with a 'top' manager was and is expected to deliver.
A false dawn on 19:49 - Sep 25 with 1328 viewschrismakin

A false dawn on 19:44 - Sep 25 by HARRY10

Are we being issued with a defence now ?

And you seem to be confusing yourself about expectation and current reality.

The first is about how almost all fans saw the season as panning out. The second is how it is panning out.

And as stated, the odd late goal either way is currently deciding games - not any supposed much improved play. That we are not conceding five (Bolton) is not a sign that we are improving, merely that a one off game has not been repeated. And that is not some great positive either.

We are 8 games in. We have won only one game out of 10 so far, and sit in the relegation zone. Nothing on the pitch so far has given me and many others thought that we can live up to what a suggested multi million pound squad with a 'top' manager was and is expected to deliver.

You're ignoring the fact that the defensive gaps have been reduced, a prime example of this being Bannan being taken out of the game today ( Wed comments ) someone who is their fraser, and that's 2 games where we haven't been hurt from the flanks aswell and again according to wed fans, they couldnt get though us, even going to before Bolton, the gaps was the major issue. And it's been addressed, which again is a positive to see no? and an improvement. If you can't appreciate improvements when they happen, what's the point in following the season, just come back at the end with either haha or excellent.

People shouldn't post on the forum that improvements are needed and then actively ignore them when they are clear as day to see.

A false dawn on 19:49 - Sep 25 with 1325 viewsChurchman

A false dawn on 19:07 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

except the gaps aren't there, they've been closed. You ask for improvement, it's happening.

Win Tuesday, 7 points out of 9 and potentially 3 points from playoffs, which after the start we had, isn't as bad as it could have been/or be if we lose tues lol.

Chris, we scraped a draw today and let in five in our last home game. We haven’t won at home all season and have come close to winning in one game only. Yes, a win at Lincoln was great, but it’s the only win.

If you let in five at home and have to give thanks it was only five, you are relegation fodder. At this moment in time we are a poor team. Had we beaten SW today and deserved to do so, I might have shared your optimism. But we didn’t.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 19:50]
A false dawn on 19:52 - Sep 25 with 1302 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

A false dawn on 19:49 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

You're ignoring the fact that the defensive gaps have been reduced, a prime example of this being Bannan being taken out of the game today ( Wed comments ) someone who is their fraser, and that's 2 games where we haven't been hurt from the flanks aswell and again according to wed fans, they couldnt get though us, even going to before Bolton, the gaps was the major issue. And it's been addressed, which again is a positive to see no? and an improvement. If you can't appreciate improvements when they happen, what's the point in following the season, just come back at the end with either haha or excellent.

People shouldn't post on the forum that improvements are needed and then actively ignore them when they are clear as day to see.

It's ok to disagree.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

A false dawn on 19:54 - Sep 25 with 1296 viewsBlueBadger

I don't think it's the actions of an overly entitled fanbase to expect to win more than one game in eleven with an expensively assembled, allegedly Championship-capable side.

In the third division.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 20:38]

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

A false dawn on 19:55 - Sep 25 with 1288 viewschrismakin

A false dawn on 19:49 - Sep 25 by Churchman

Chris, we scraped a draw today and let in five in our last home game. We haven’t won at home all season and have come close to winning in one game only. Yes, a win at Lincoln was great, but it’s the only win.

If you let in five at home and have to give thanks it was only five, you are relegation fodder. At this moment in time we are a poor team. Had we beaten SW today and deserved to do so, I might have shared your optimism. But we didn’t.
[Post edited 25 Sep 2021 19:50]

I just think people Demanded change after Bolton, they demanded action. clearly that's been put into place. But because we didn't win today, nothing has changed... which clearly isn't correct.

Had we ended today in the same way of previous games, wide open gaps, condeding for fun, i'd say it's not going anywhere and as I said after Bolton, PC looked like he had done all he could. BUT fair play to him, he and his team have worked on things and it's night and day in those specific areas.

A false dawn on 20:18 - Sep 25 with 1210 viewsLeoMuff

We haven’t lost since Bolton, against Lincoln away who were in the play offs last season, and Wednesday one of favourites pre season.

We kept going for 90 mins today and Wednesday didn’t have a clear cut chance.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

A false dawn on 20:39 - Sep 25 with 1158 viewsBlueBadger

A false dawn on 20:18 - Sep 25 by LeoMuff

We haven’t lost since Bolton, against Lincoln away who were in the play offs last season, and Wednesday one of favourites pre season.

We kept going for 90 mins today and Wednesday didn’t have a clear cut chance.

We've won one game total, all season.

This is all starting to sound like Roy Keane Statistics, depressingly.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.

A false dawn on 22:11 - Sep 25 with 1016 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

What I don't get is why any Town supporter wants to write off the season after so few games.

Each to their own though.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

A false dawn on 22:27 - Sep 25 with 969 viewsLeoMuff

A false dawn on 20:39 - Sep 25 by BlueBadger

We've won one game total, all season.

This is all starting to sound like Roy Keane Statistics, depressingly.

We are improving though no doubt, what’s the alternative sacking Cook ?

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

A false dawn on 23:23 - Sep 25 with 912 viewsBlueBadger

A false dawn on 22:27 - Sep 25 by LeoMuff

We are improving though no doubt, what’s the alternative sacking Cook ?

Ah yes, Improved Performances.

A false dawn on 00:01 - Sep 26 with 852 viewsreusersfreekicks

A false dawn on 19:16 - Sep 25 by chrismakin

Make up your mind. Few days ago you said you were wrong and Cook wasn't performing. Now you are back to rationalising us being in the rel zone
A false dawn on 10:07 - Sep 26 with 662 viewsTheBlueGnu

A false dawn on 19:13 - Sep 25 by gtsb1966

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha !!!!!!!!!!!!

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

A false dawn on 10:47 - Sep 26 with 523 viewschrismakin

A false dawn on 00:01 - Sep 26 by reusersfreekicks

Make up your mind. Few days ago you said you were wrong and Cook wasn't performing. Now you are back to rationalising us being in the rel zone

Few days ago? No.

After Bolton yes

Has he worked on things yes

Has there been an improvement since Bolton yes

There you go.

That's life. We wanted improvement. We've seen it. Let's hope it continues.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024