Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rule Change 08:56 - Sep 27 with 2149 viewshype313

After all the histrionics by Sheff W on Saturday why doesn't the FA start looking at doing what Rugby do with injuries, just stop the clock and call the final whistle on 90 minutes, that way if people want to waste time then it makes no odds and you then don't get this nonsense of how many minutes will be added on.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Rule Change on 09:57 - Sep 27 with 429 viewsitfcjoe

Rule Change on 09:23 - Sep 27 by hype313

But all that does is mask the issue somewhat, as it will constantly be subjected to interpretation.

I really fail to see what would be bad about just stopping the clock like Rugby and the a horn goes off at 90 minutes (80 in Rugby)

There would be no arguments all round that way, and it is fairer.

One problem is that teams still use it to slow game and momentum down, which whilst getting time back is important it needs to be more strictly managed.

If we went down that route, you'd get some teams doing it so badly that the games would go on for hours.

Hard to know what to do, but refs have to be stronger for a start - more savvy to it. I wouldn't want to go down the route of electronic timekeeping, where have certain amount of time to get ball back in play etc......but it's an option.

It is absolutely baffling though, that a ref has the responsibility for timekeeping on a watch on his wrist where no one has any transparency of it - in games worth millions of pounds in some cases! It should be handled elsewhere in the stadium

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rule Change on 09:58 - Sep 27 with 429 viewsjayessess

Rule Change on 09:54 - Sep 27 by Nthsuffolkblue

Having time kept off-field happens in hockey. A loud siren signals the end of each period of the match.

Imagine a goal-bound shot just as the siren sounds and the referee having to determine whether the siren has gone before or after it goes in. Alternatively, you could still have the fourth official decide the suitable moment for the referee to blow up as soon as time is up or you could have the siren but play continues until there is a stoppage and the half/match ends at that point. Could make a final attack tasty. Of course a penalty award still means the penalty gets taken but a free kick/corner etc would not.

Of course, you could still have the ref whistle as now. Just have the off field time keeper tell him the time to add.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rule Change on 09:59 - Sep 27 with 426 viewsitfcjoe

Rule Change on 09:44 - Sep 27 by Pinewoodblue

Doubt the ball is currently in play for30- 35 minutes each half. This excludes the time taken to restart games for goal kicks, throwing, corners, free kicks etc.

In 2 WBA games this season, now they play long throw football and get bodies up and down the pitch for these the ball was only in play for 35 minutes in the whole game!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Rule Change on 10:08 - Sep 27 with 401 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Rule Change on 09:57 - Sep 27 by itfcjoe

One problem is that teams still use it to slow game and momentum down, which whilst getting time back is important it needs to be more strictly managed.

If we went down that route, you'd get some teams doing it so badly that the games would go on for hours.

Hard to know what to do, but refs have to be stronger for a start - more savvy to it. I wouldn't want to go down the route of electronic timekeeping, where have certain amount of time to get ball back in play etc......but it's an option.

It is absolutely baffling though, that a ref has the responsibility for timekeeping on a watch on his wrist where no one has any transparency of it - in games worth millions of pounds in some cases! It should be handled elsewhere in the stadium

Simply moving it elsewhere doesn't make it transparent, though.

I do like the idea of allowing a certain amount of time for different actions. The extra time can be added on and a team falling foul of the limits by more than a certain amount should be fined as well.

So, as soon as the ball goes out of play a clock is started for whichever team has the decision and only restarted when the ball is put back in play and the number of each type of set play is totted up. It would be a bit similar to over rate in cricket. The difficulty would be where play is prevented from restarting due to the opposition - it would require the time-keeper to add the time on for the opposite team instead. This would require whoever is doing the timing to be on the ball.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Rule Change on 10:10 - Sep 27 with 391 viewsjayessess

Rule Change on 09:59 - Sep 27 by itfcjoe

In 2 WBA games this season, now they play long throw football and get bodies up and down the pitch for these the ball was only in play for 35 minutes in the whole game!

It's actually not so bad, relatively speaking, in England. I used to have a season ticket for Rayo Vallecano in Madrid and Spanish football culture is so much more permissive of time wasting. You'd have away teams come and time waste from the first minute and the home fans barely bothered to complain. It was just part of the game, everyone did it, no-one really got annoyed.

Sure enough I watched Rayo - Cadiz yesterday and Rayo, at home, 2-1 up from just before half time, very much the better side, looking far more likely to score, were time wasting and "game managing" from the 45th minute and no one questioned this strategy in the slightest.

As a result the average La Liga game is 5 minutes shorter than the average Premier League game!

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Rule Change on 18:38 - Sep 27 with 305 viewsBluedicea

It adds to the jeopardy of the game, the minutes added. Especially in a close game, to remove that added uncertainty would be detrimental in the long run.

It's also a useful tactic for both sides, which both sides often make use of, it allows you to try and force a change of pace into the game, to wind up others so hopefully giving you a tactical advantage as they are angry so more likely to make mistakes.

Modern football stretches the rules, and makes use of all tactical allowances pushing for every advantage. Gone are the days of the player being honest and saying no foul, they are taught to play for the advantage by manipulating the system. It does allow for more variety in different tactics, but the losers end up feeling more hard done by.

What is the use of knowing about everything else, when you do not yet know who you are.

Rule Change on 18:51 - Sep 27 with 304 viewsBurns7

Rule Change on 09:00 - Sep 27 by bluelagos

If the ref adds on enough time, it makes no odds. I dont understand why he didnt just point to his watch and state clearrly the time was getting added on.

And the guy who moved himself onto the pitch to receive treatment, I'd have just booked him. Fit enough to move a couple of meters and then he became crock again fss.

Sheffield Wednesday played the very poor referee and linesmen perfectly the whole game, they were hitting the floor with ease, wasting time, and calling for any old nonsense. The minute Burns tried it back it was ignored. The referees in this division absolutely loathe Ipswich and you could see the disappointment on their faces when we equalized so late on.
Rule Change on 19:24 - Sep 27 with 290 viewsmonytowbray

In fairness as enraging as it was the ref was a shambles and let them crack on. Partly our fault, we don’t do half as much as we should to s**thouse refs. I used to value our honesty but in the modern game it’s too cut throat for nice teams.

But at the same time, change the rules and that dying minute equaliser wouldn’t have felt half as good. Sweet poetic justice, even more if we buried that last minute chance.

TWTD never forgets…
Poll: How close will a TWTD election poll be next to June results?

Login to get fewer ads

Rule Change on 19:54 - Sep 27 with 278 viewsGeoffSentence

https://www.givemesport.com/1723383-fifa-reportedly-considering-rule-changes-tha

I don't know how seriously to take that, especially it is a "reportedly considering" piece, meaning they don't know if it is true, but at least it shows you aren't the first to think of this.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Rule Change on 19:56 - Sep 27 with 275 viewshype313

Rule Change on 19:54 - Sep 27 by GeoffSentence

https://www.givemesport.com/1723383-fifa-reportedly-considering-rule-changes-tha

I don't know how seriously to take that, especially it is a "reportedly considering" piece, meaning they don't know if it is true, but at least it shows you aren't the first to think of this.

Always knew I was ahead of the game...

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024