Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ian Cranson 01:32 - Nov 2 with 1464 viewsRetroITFC

Looking at a chat about players with headbands and Cranson's name came up. Whilst Googling a photo of him, stumbled across a Sheff Wed forum where he isn't viewed in a good light, most stating they thought he was very poor.

What are your memories of him?
Ian Cranson on 06:47 - Nov 2 with 1362 viewsPendejo

I recall him as being a good solid defender who, by going to Wednesday, managed to stay in the top tier.

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ian Cranson on 06:50 - Nov 2 with 1359 viewsYallop

Strong, brave, good in the air. Read the game well. Not the best with the ball at his feet
Ian Cranson on 06:54 - Nov 2 with 1350 viewsPendejo

Ian Cranson on 06:47 - Nov 2 by Pendejo

I recall him as being a good solid defender who, by going to Wednesday, managed to stay in the top tier.

Funny how the memory works

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Cranson

One season at Wednesday before moving into Stoke joining Mick Mills, don't recall that!

uberima fides
Poll: Start a new job tomorrow - which suit?

Ian Cranson on 07:26 - Nov 2 with 1319 viewsChurchman

My memories of Cranson are that he was a good prospect and player. He was big limbed, curly hair, liked a tackle, could play a bit - there was a lot to like about him and I thought he’d have a good career here. I see that he actually made 131 appearances over 6 years.

I recall him as being pretty injury prone but note that in his career he made nearly 400 appearances, mainly for Stoke under Mick Mills.

We’ve had worse here!
Ian Cranson on 07:56 - Nov 2 with 1275 viewsBluefields

Ian Cranson on 07:26 - Nov 2 by Churchman

My memories of Cranson are that he was a good prospect and player. He was big limbed, curly hair, liked a tackle, could play a bit - there was a lot to like about him and I thought he’d have a good career here. I see that he actually made 131 appearances over 6 years.

I recall him as being pretty injury prone but note that in his career he made nearly 400 appearances, mainly for Stoke under Mick Mills.

We’ve had worse here!

A lot worse. Very good centre half and yes he could play a bit. Always put a very heavy challenge in early as was the norm then.
Ian Cranson on 08:31 - Nov 2 with 1243 viewsSharkey

Ian Cranson on 06:54 - Nov 2 by Pendejo

Funny how the memory works

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ian_Cranson

One season at Wednesday before moving into Stoke joining Mick Mills, don't recall that!

Stoke paid nearly half a million for him, it says here, so he must have been decent at Sheff W.

I remember his accent being the same as Peter Willey's, to my southern ears at least.
Ian Cranson on 09:40 - Nov 2 with 1165 viewsElephantintheRoom

Very good, tough defender - suffered by comparison by who he was replacing. Back in the day he benefitted from Town's solid gold reputation for producing good players - who looked better than they were because of the quality of players around the them - call it the Steve McCall or Sammy Lee effect.

Hence he didnt ever look quite so good again when he left to help finance the Pioneer Stand

Mick Mills pulled off a great double - managing Stoke towards relegation and taking Colchestre out of the league in the same season

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Ian Cranson on 10:13 - Nov 2 with 1144 viewsChurchman

Ian Cranson on 09:40 - Nov 2 by ElephantintheRoom

Very good, tough defender - suffered by comparison by who he was replacing. Back in the day he benefitted from Town's solid gold reputation for producing good players - who looked better than they were because of the quality of players around the them - call it the Steve McCall or Sammy Lee effect.

Hence he didnt ever look quite so good again when he left to help finance the Pioneer Stand

Mick Mills pulled off a great double - managing Stoke towards relegation and taking Colchestre out of the league in the same season

I don’t think he left to finance the Pioneer Stand. Robson’s team was let go to do that.

He left in March 1988 in John Duncan’s first season and was replaced by David Linighan who cost £300k. I think it was more to do with Duncan trying to build his team with his players and Cranson’s dodgy knees/fee offered for him at the time (£400k?).

He played over 200 games for Stoke and made 6 England u21 appearances. He was a good player.
Login to get fewer ads

Ian Cranson on 10:16 - Nov 2 with 1131 viewssolemio

Ian Cranson's biggest problem was following so closely behind Butch and Russ - and not too long after 6' 2" and the Beat. Comparisons clearly did him few favours at the time.
Ian Cranson on 10:43 - Nov 2 with 1114 viewsRetroITFC

Ian Cranson on 10:16 - Nov 2 by solemio

Ian Cranson's biggest problem was following so closely behind Butch and Russ - and not too long after 6' 2" and the Beat. Comparisons clearly did him few favours at the time.

I think a lot of the players around that era struggled as people naturally compared them (unfairly) to who they were following on from. Cranson, D'Avray, Brennan etc.
Ian Cranson on 11:16 - Nov 2 with 1096 viewsChurchman

Ian Cranson on 10:43 - Nov 2 by RetroITFC

I think a lot of the players around that era struggled as people naturally compared them (unfairly) to who they were following on from. Cranson, D'Avray, Brennan etc.

This is fair. Mark Brennan was a lovely player, if my ageing memory is correct. We also had for example Micky Stockwell, a good, versatile player and brilliant for the club over many years. Dozzell, Kiwomya, Atkins, Lowe, Milton, Romeo - plenty of players we’d crawl over glass for now.

But as you rightly say, the shadow of the great team unfairly loomed over them.
Ian Cranson on 14:56 - Nov 2 with 986 viewsNorthLondonBlue2

Didn't he play in goal once, pulling off some memorable saves after our keeper went off injured? Before the days of having a GK on the subs bench.
Ian Cranson on 16:16 - Nov 2 with 955 viewsmonty_radio

Ian Cranson on 11:16 - Nov 2 by Churchman

This is fair. Mark Brennan was a lovely player, if my ageing memory is correct. We also had for example Micky Stockwell, a good, versatile player and brilliant for the club over many years. Dozzell, Kiwomya, Atkins, Lowe, Milton, Romeo - plenty of players we’d crawl over glass for now.

You're certainly right about players of that post-Bobby era suffering by comparison. Apart from those you mention Forrest, Gleghorn, Paul Mason and Kevin Wilson would be far out of our reach at the moment.
[Post edited 2 Nov 2021 17:18]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ian Cranson on 16:24 - Nov 2 with 949 viewsEpiphone

Ian Cranson on 16:16 - Nov 2 by monty_radio

You're certainly right about players of that post-Bobby era suffering by comparison. Apart from those you mention Forrest, Gleghorn, Paul Mason and Kevin Wilson would be far out of our reach at the moment.

How much would Dalian Atkinson be worth?
Ian Cranson on 16:30 - Nov 2 with 935 viewsGavTWTD

Ian Cranson on 16:16 - Nov 2 by monty_radio

Gleghorn? Mason was soooo good, but Nigel Gleghorn? I don't remember him very positively.

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

Ian Cranson on 17:19 - Nov 2 with 899 viewsmonty_radio

Ian Cranson on 16:30 - Nov 2 by GavTWTD

Gleghorn? Mason was soooo good, but Nigel Gleghorn? I don't remember him very positively.

I thought he was stylish. Looking him up, I see he played 400 games after leaving us, including winning what is now the championship
[Post edited 2 Nov 2021 17:24]

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Ian Cranson on 18:09 - Nov 2 with 867 viewstownman1986

Ian Cranson on 17:19 - Nov 2 by monty_radio

I thought he was stylish. Looking him up, I see he played 400 games after leaving us, including winning what is now the championship
[Post edited 2 Nov 2021 17:24]

I remember he was a very good goalkeeper when he went in goal up at Sunderland
Ian Cranson on 18:32 - Nov 2 with 843 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ian Cranson on 18:09 - Nov 2 by townman1986

I remember he was a very good goalkeeper when he went in goal up at Sunderland

Was that the game where we conceded a last minute penalty? I seem to remember Ian Atkins needing to be held back by team mates. going after the ref.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ian Cranson on 19:15 - Nov 2 with 813 viewsMelford

Ian Cranson on 11:16 - Nov 2 by Churchman

Tony Humes was hard as nails but suffered with injuries, Gavin Johnson would be in there too. Apart from centre-back and goalkeeper I think Micky Stockwell played every other position on the pitch for Town.

Dragging TWTD into the gutter since 2009
Poll: What do you call this site?

Ian Cranson on 19:22 - Nov 2 with 807 viewsgainsboroughblue

Ian Cranson on 19:15 - Nov 2 by Melford

Tony Humes was hard as nails but suffered with injuries, Gavin Johnson would be in there too. Apart from centre-back and goalkeeper I think Micky Stockwell played every other position on the pitch for Town.

I liked Humes. Another versatile player and he stood up very well to Vinny Jones in a central midfield match up at Elland Road. He also scored a brace (again, I think at Leeds) as a makeshift forward.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Ian Cranson on 19:33 - Nov 2 with 791 viewsYallop

Ian Cranson on 19:22 - Nov 2 by gainsboroughblue

I liked Humes. Another versatile player and he stood up very well to Vinny Jones in a central midfield match up at Elland Road. He also scored a brace (again, I think at Leeds) as a makeshift forward.

David Hill gets a hard time on here but I remember an outstanding performance at Forest where he marked Neil Webb in his prime out of the game
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024