Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? 10:17 - Dec 7 with 2180 viewsHipsterectomy

2 up front? 4-4-2? I’m not sure what system McGreal has played before

Walter Smith's Barmy Army

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:18 - Dec 7 with 1612 viewsIpswichKnight

He plays 4-2-3-1
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:21 - Dec 7 with 1595 viewswitchdoctor

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:18 - Dec 7 by IpswichKnight

He plays 4-2-3-1

ffs 🤦
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:24 - Dec 7 with 1567 viewsSaigonTractor

I could see KVY at left back. That's about it.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:24 - Dec 7 with 1562 viewsRadioOrwell

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:18 - Dec 7 by IpswichKnight

He plays 4-2-3-1

Well he should know by now what that means.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:26 - Dec 7 with 1544 viewsitfcsuth

What tactical changes really can be made by having a 1 hour training session with players?
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:30 - Dec 7 with 1520 viewsSomethingBlue

Probably not but I'd like to see KVY and Edwards both start, we need pace in there.

Blog: The Way Back From Here Will Be Long, But There is a Way

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:38 - Dec 7 with 1484 viewsRadioOrwell

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:26 - Dec 7 by itfcsuth

What tactical changes really can be made by having a 1 hour training session with players?

2 up front.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:46 - Dec 7 with 1469 viewsRadlett_blue

The appointment of McGreal as an U23 coach & then caretaker manager seems odd. He doesn't even know most of the Town players by sight so how's he going to pick a team & decide on his tactics? Once Town had decided to sack Cook & all his first team coaches, the obvious caretaker was Peter Reid, maybe with Dyer as his assistant. Town clearly hadn't got a replacement lined up for Cook and as this is the new owners' first appointment, they may take time to make it so McGreal may get a few games. Not sure the players will react well to not knowing who is going to be their ultimate boss, but maybe results can't get much worse?

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

Login to get fewer ads

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:50 - Dec 7 with 1443 viewsHerbivore

I'm hopeful we might see some tactics.

I don't really get the clamour to play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 to be honest. I don't think the formation has been our biggest issue, more a lack of a clear tactical plan and the inability to change things in game when things start going against us.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:52 - Dec 7 with 1427 viewsfooters

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:46 - Dec 7 by Radlett_blue

The appointment of McGreal as an U23 coach & then caretaker manager seems odd. He doesn't even know most of the Town players by sight so how's he going to pick a team & decide on his tactics? Once Town had decided to sack Cook & all his first team coaches, the obvious caretaker was Peter Reid, maybe with Dyer as his assistant. Town clearly hadn't got a replacement lined up for Cook and as this is the new owners' first appointment, they may take time to make it so McGreal may get a few games. Not sure the players will react well to not knowing who is going to be their ultimate boss, but maybe results can't get much worse?

He's been going to the games as a fan for the last few months so should know most of them by now, even if not intimately. (Well, he's not gone to dinner with any of them to my knowledge).

footers KC - Prosecution Barrister - Friend to all
Poll: Battle of the breakfast potato... who wins?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:56 - Dec 7 with 1410 viewsDavoIPB

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:50 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

I don't really get the clamour to play 4-4-2 or 3-5-2 to be honest. I don't think the formation has been our biggest issue, more a lack of a clear tactical plan and the inability to change things in game when things start going against us.

Yes the formation did at times work really well. Celina in the 10 against Wycombe worked perfectly because they didn't pick him up. However McGreal has said he wont change anything yet and his preferred tactic is 4231, sound familiar? He doesn't change from it either.

I think the problem with Cook was not being able get the players to do what he wanted. We would get into good crossing positions then there would be nobody free in the box or making space and the cross would be awful.

By the way I re-watched the crewe game as awake in the night. We absolutely bossed the first half. Players played really well, fought for the ball, the skill level was superb, every player played a part. We restricted them to a half chance and were leagues ahead of them in quality. Looked really good. We only really lost control when Cook brought Chaplin off and put Evans on, Chaplin didn't seem to want to go off either.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:11 - Dec 7 with 1354 viewsRadioOrwell

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:50 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Imagine if Cook had a good strategy for holding on to a lead.
It would all be very different now.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:13 - Dec 7 with 1345 viewsitfcsuth

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:38 - Dec 7 by RadioOrwell

2 up front.

Going 2 up top changes the shape and structure of what's behind them, and you can't teach a new shape or structure in a 1 hour session.

I am sure it will remain 4-2-3-1, it is what this squad is accustom to, and what McGreal has predominantly always played.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:17 - Dec 7 with 1326 viewsBlueBadger

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:26 - Dec 7 by itfcsuth

Lambert used to make changes all the time based on even less time spent doing any kind of actual coaching...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:19 - Dec 7 with 1305 viewsRadioOrwell

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:13 - Dec 7 by itfcsuth

Going 2 up top changes the shape and structure of what's behind them, and you can't teach a new shape or structure in a 1 hour session.

I am sure it will remain 4-2-3-1, it is what this squad is accustom to, and what McGreal has predominantly always played.

Yet that is exactly what fans ask for when a match is going badly.

We are accustomed to 4 2 3 1 but where has it got us ?
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:20 - Dec 7 with 1294 viewsStokieBlue

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:13 - Dec 7 by itfcsuth

Apparently he has played 442 with the 2 central midfielders being defensive and deeper and then two advanced wingers which could work with this squad.

Celina and Burns advanced with Pigott and Bonne up top could be lethal with Morsy + another holding.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:20 - Dec 7 with 1293 viewsHerbivore

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:56 - Dec 7 by DavoIPB

Yes the formation did at times work really well. Celina in the 10 against Wycombe worked perfectly because they didn't pick him up. However McGreal has said he wont change anything yet and his preferred tactic is 4231, sound familiar? He doesn't change from it either.

I think the problem with Cook was not being able get the players to do what he wanted. We would get into good crossing positions then there would be nobody free in the box or making space and the cross would be awful.

By the way I re-watched the crewe game as awake in the night. We absolutely bossed the first half. Players played really well, fought for the ball, the skill level was superb, every player played a part. We restricted them to a half chance and were leagues ahead of them in quality. Looked really good. We only really lost control when Cook brought Chaplin off and put Evans on, Chaplin didn't seem to want to go off either.

Were you drinking last night by any chance?

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:22 - Dec 7 with 1273 viewsStokieBlue

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 10:56 - Dec 7 by DavoIPB

Chaplin was very poor against Crewe.

SB

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:23 - Dec 7 with 1268 viewsHerbivore

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:20 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

Apparently he has played 442 with the 2 central midfielders being defensive and deeper and then two advanced wingers which could work with this squad.

Celina and Burns advanced with Pigott and Bonne up top could be lethal with Morsy + another holding.

SB

Of course you could argue that with Pigott tending to drop off that essentially the system is little different to playing 4-2-3-1. I think we get hung up too much on the formation when it's really more about our tactical plan, the shape(s) we use within that formation, and the patterns of play that follow. Under Cook even in our better displays it felt like far too much of what we were doing was off the cuff and worked because we had good players.

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:26 - Dec 7 with 1247 viewsStokieBlue

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:23 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Of course you could argue that with Pigott tending to drop off that essentially the system is little different to playing 4-2-3-1. I think we get hung up too much on the formation when it's really more about our tactical plan, the shape(s) we use within that formation, and the patterns of play that follow. Under Cook even in our better displays it felt like far too much of what we were doing was off the cuff and worked because we had good players.

You could argue that, depending on what Pigott is told to do. It's more about actually having two people in the box to get on the end of things which is a rarity for us.

SB

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:29 - Dec 7 with 1234 viewsclive_baker

I think, in time, McGreal would create a side that's more rigid defensively than Cook managed. His approach is a little more pragmatic, but that's not such a bad thing and I did think earlier in the season McGreal would've been a really good #2 to Cook should he want it, the ying to Cooks yang.

He'll know KVY pretty well resumably, so he might come back in on either side. Edmundson out is a blow, so I imagine Toto and Burgess centre backs. Donacien and KVY either side would make sense.

I imagine he won't change too much, Evans and Morsy in the middle, he'll want Chaplin in front of them and some pace wide, perhaps Edwards and Aluko in Celina and Burns' absence.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:33 - Dec 7 with 1208 viewsDavoIPB

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:20 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

Were you drinking last night by any chance?

Possibly, I can't remember
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:34 - Dec 7 with 1205 viewsitfcsuth

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:20 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

SB

Yeah I think he has on occasion play 4-4-2 with two no.6 in midfield. He always had a long spell in 2017 where he played with a 3 at the back (2 wing-backs).

I don't think there is much in the 4-2-3-1 and the 4-4-2 (double 6). Just means the no.10 becomes at partner right up alongside the other striker.

For me a partnership of Chaplin along with Pigott or Bonne would be better. Feel Bonne and Pigott are quite similar strikers.
Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:37 - Dec 7 with 1198 viewsHerbivore

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:26 - Dec 7 by StokieBlue

You could argue that, depending on what Pigott is told to do. It's more about actually having two people in the box to get on the end of things which is a rarity for us.

SB

When Chaplin plays as a 10 he gives us that, I think Celina and Fraser less so as their instinct is to drop in or drift wide to get invovled. Like I say, it's less about formation and more about how we look to play.

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:41 - Dec 7 with 1184 viewsitfcsuth

Do you expect any tactical changes tonight? on 11:37 - Dec 7 by Herbivore

When Chaplin plays as a 10 he gives us that, I think Celina and Fraser less so as their instinct is to drop in or drift wide to get invovled. Like I say, it's less about formation and more about how we look to play.

Agree. Probably why I like Chaplin that 10 more than anyone else in the squad right now, plays a lot closer to a lone striker than anyone else I have seen in that role.

As you say, if you have the set of habits and behaviours throughout, you really should be able to alter your formation from time to time, but your principles will remain the same regardless.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024