Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Amazon Echo Dot 10:40 - Dec 28 with 3069 viewsJimmyJazz

Got one for Christmas, anyone have any tips for useful things I can get it to do?

So far i have it telling me the latest football scores, telling me the weather and playing some music from Amazon

Poll: If we could perm sign just one, which would it be?
Blog: Top Championship Teams?

Amazon Echo Dot on 10:51 - Dec 28 with 2524 viewshoppy

Ask “Alexa, what can you do for me?” And it will tell you a few things… we’ve got one in the kitchen, so whilst cooking, I often say ‘set a timer for 6 minutes’ or whatever, which is useful as I’ve usually got my hands full.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Amazon Echo Dot on 11:04 - Dec 28 with 2494 viewsKing_of_Portman_Rd

I also got an Echo dot and not sure how best to use it. Is there a way of removing Amazon Music as it’s already doing my head in that I ask it to “open Spotify” which plays what I was last listening to, then when I ask for a specific artist or song and it then opens it on Amazon music instead 🤦‍♂️

I have a Spotify account, not Amazon music account
Amazon Echo Dot on 11:12 - Dec 28 with 2471 viewsJimmyJazz

Amazon Echo Dot on 10:51 - Dec 28 by hoppy

Ask “Alexa, what can you do for me?” And it will tell you a few things… we’ve got one in the kitchen, so whilst cooking, I often say ‘set a timer for 6 minutes’ or whatever, which is useful as I’ve usually got my hands full.

My follow up question was going to be where is it best located. I can see it being useful in the kitchen. I have mine in my home office as that's where I spend most time, but most stuff I ask I could look online

Amazon Echo Dot on 11:17 - Dec 28 with 2459 viewsJimmyJazz

Amazon Echo Dot on 11:04 - Dec 28 by King_of_Portman_Rd

I also got an Echo dot and not sure how best to use it. Is there a way of removing Amazon Music as it’s already doing my head in that I ask it to “open Spotify” which plays what I was last listening to, then when I ask for a specific artist or song and it then opens it on Amazon music instead 🤦‍♂️

Yeah, it won't play my music in iTunes unless I pay for an Apple subscription. The Amazon music is only slightly edgier than Radio Suffolk.

Amazon Echo Dot on 11:22 - Dec 28 with 2442 viewshoppy

You can add your Spotify account to it, as far as I understand… through the Alexa app - I think it’s under ‘skills’ or something like that.

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

Amazon Echo Dot on 12:12 - Dec 28 with 2340 viewsFBI

Amazon Echo Dot on 11:22 - Dec 28 by hoppy

You can add your Spotify account to it, as far as I understand… through the Alexa app - I think it’s under ‘skills’ or something like that.

You can, although in the last couple of months the 'skill' (sic) doesn't seem to work very well and although it links to your Spotify a/c it seems not to find your (well, my, obvs) playlists. Some very cross reviews on the skills site.

I suspect they're trying to drive people to Amazon Music, which isn't anywhere near as good but, of course, part of the Bezos empire

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

Amazon Echo Dot on 12:27 - Dec 28 with 2308 viewsTheBlueGnu

I've got mine to pull me off twice daily. A marvelous piece of kit.

Poll: Other than "The Mean Machine", what was your favourite Wacky Races car ?

Amazon Echo Dot on 12:49 - Dec 28 with 2272 viewsfactual_blue

Here's some Amazon music

Ta neige, Acadie, fait des larmes au soleil
Poll: Do you grind your gears
Blog: [Blog] The Shape We're In

Login to get fewer ads

Amazon Echo Dot on 13:19 - Dec 28 with 2202 viewsDeano69

You can ask for your music in a single phrase. Alexa play xxxxxxxxxx on Spotify (then if you have various zones you can say eg in the kitchen)

Might need to have the Skill set up.

Although the randomness of the music played can be odd. If you say something like ‘Alexa, play 70’s music on Spotify (in the kitchen)’ she sometimes comes back with stuff like ‘Playing Elton John on Spotify)

We have connected power blocks to switch on/off the Christmas lights which has worked really well and some lighting in the garden room. Will reuse the power block to be able to switch fan heating on/off once all the Christmas lights are down.

It can lock/unlock the car too, but I lost my nerve and disabled that.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Amazon Echo Dot on 10:37 - Dec 29 with 1961 viewsSamWhiteUK

You change the default in the app
Amazon Echo Dot on 10:44 - Dec 29 with 1944 viewsKeno

you do realise that its constantly spying on you and judging you

its like having a second wife in the house

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Amazon Echo Dot on 10:46 - Dec 29 with 1937 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Ask it to put itself in a little box and go back where it came from.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Amazon Echo Dot on 10:49 - Dec 29 with 1927 viewsKeno

Amazon Echo Dot on 10:46 - Dec 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

I think you are getting it confused with the thread about Norwich fans

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Amazon Echo Dot on 11:01 - Dec 29 with 1902 viewsNthQldITFC

Amazon Echo Dot on 12:27 - Dec 28 by TheBlueGnu

I've got mine to pull me off twice daily. A marvelous piece of kit.

"...and it added a little piquancy to the Soufflé..."

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:42 - Dec 29 with 1768 viewsSwansea_Blue

Amazon Echo Dot on 10:46 - Dec 29 by BanksterDebtSlave

Ha. That does seem to be the most use for it, unless you want it to play music you don't want from an online library you don't use.

I was given one, but it's still in the box and this thread isn't doing much to change that in all honesty.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:48 - Dec 29 with 1756 viewsjeera

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:42 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

Ha. That does seem to be the most use for it, unless you want it to play music you don't want from an online library you don't use.

I was given one, but it's still in the box and this thread isn't doing much to change that in all honesty.

The speakers packed up on my laptop and ever since the echo has replaced those as the main, well only, speaker.

I think that's about it.

So that's its use. It's a speaker.

I was also a bit disappointed when I added it to my TV in the naïve thinking I would have 3rd speaker, for films and stuff, but that doesn't happen. It just takes over and becomes the only speaker instead, so that's no good.

One day, I will buy some speakers and it will be redundant I suppose.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 14:52]

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:48 - Dec 29 with 1751 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

I asked Miss Slave's phone Siri if it was overall a good or bad thing for climate change. It said it couldn't answer that and was just doing its job!

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:49 - Dec 29 with 1743 viewsFBI

The workaround is to launch Spotify from your phone and 'throw' it to the Echo. It's basically using it as a wireless speaker but you can tell it to skip etc and use it as if it were standalone.

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:52 - Dec 29 with 1723 viewsSwansea_Blue

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:48 - Dec 29 by jeera

The speakers packed up on my laptop and ever since the echo has replaced those as the main, well only, speaker.

I think that's about it.

So that's its use. It's a speaker.

I was also a bit disappointed when I added it to my TV in the naïve thinking I would have 3rd speaker, for films and stuff, but that doesn't happen. It just takes over and becomes the only speaker instead, so that's no good.

One day, I will buy some speakers and it will be redundant I suppose.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 14:52]

I don't need another speaker, so that probably explains why I'm not inclined to get it out of the box! That and being a technophobe.

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:53 - Dec 29 with 1723 viewsFBI

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:49 - Dec 29 by FBI

The workaround is to launch Spotify from your phone and 'throw' it to the Echo. It's basically using it as a wireless speaker but you can tell it to skip etc and use it as if it were standalone.

Oh yeah. On Boxing day it told me it had eaten too many sprouts and then made a farting noise... both my kids have denied all responsibility...

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:55 - Dec 29 with 1711 viewsjeera

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:52 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

I don't need another speaker, so that probably explains why I'm not inclined to get it out of the box! That and being a technophobe.

A few times I've asked for its help with pronunciation and all it has done is record me saying the word incorrectly and repeated me back to me.

Amazon Echo Dot on 15:00 - Dec 29 with 1704 viewsSwansea_Blue

Amazon Echo Dot on 14:55 - Dec 29 by jeera

A few times I've asked for its help with pronunciation and all it has done is record me saying the word incorrectly and repeated me back to me.

I've got the wife for that.

Amazon Echo Dot on 15:03 - Dec 29 with 1694 viewsjeera

Amazon Echo Dot on 15:00 - Dec 29 by Swansea_Blue

I've got the wife for that.

It's like having a slightly dumber Kryten.

Amazon Echo Dot on 15:07 - Dec 29 with 1676 viewsJ2BLUE

Reminders and timers mostly. Occasionally music.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Amazon Echo Dot on 15:14 - Dec 29 with 1656 viewsjeera

Amazon Echo Dot on 15:07 - Dec 29 by J2BLUE

Reminders and timers mostly. Occasionally music.

That's true, it is useful for reminders.

When I remember to set them.

And alarms.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024