Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bristol City make £38.4m loss 14:13 - Dec 28 with 5736 viewsWacko

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/59797491

At least it's sunny in Arizona!

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 20:59 - Dec 28 with 1099 viewsitfcsuth

It’s not a positive set of accounts, and a proportion of that was under our new CEO, that can’t be denied.

The operating losses over the last 5 years at Bristol have seriously increased.

Them losses are ok if you have Lansdown to write them off, a pension fund in need of return on investment will not.
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:21 - Dec 28 with 1053 viewsChurchman

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 20:41 - Dec 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

You don't think any Derby fan was saying anything like this before they went the way they went?

Maybe all is well in the BCFC camp financially but, as you seem to recognise, the future is likely a downward trajectory and Derby and we know what that looks like longer term.

Derby will be fine. They are a proper football club with a distinguished history and good support - went to the Baseball Ground many years ago. Now there was an atmospheric ground. Tight as a gnats chuff and all the better for it.
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:27 - Dec 28 with 1043 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:21 - Dec 28 by Churchman

Derby will be fine. They are a proper football club with a distinguished history and good support - went to the Baseball Ground many years ago. Now there was an atmospheric ground. Tight as a gnats chuff and all the better for it.

Depends on what you mean by fine. They are taking the same journey as Portsmouth, Sunderland, ourselves and plenty of others. It is the same journey that I am suggesting likely lies ahead for BCFC.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:33 - Dec 28 with 1029 viewsChurchman

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:27 - Dec 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Depends on what you mean by fine. They are taking the same journey as Portsmouth, Sunderland, ourselves and plenty of others. It is the same journey that I am suggesting likely lies ahead for BCFC.

There will always be buyers for famous clubs like Sunderland, Portsmouth and Derby, even if they have a few years of hardship. It’s why I never swallowed the ‘Marcus saved us’ line believed by some.

A club like Bristol City? In my view, they’d better hope their owner hangs in there and doesn’t do a Morris..
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:50 - Dec 28 with 999 viewsPhilTWTD

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:33 - Dec 28 by Churchman

There will always be buyers for famous clubs like Sunderland, Portsmouth and Derby, even if they have a few years of hardship. It’s why I never swallowed the ‘Marcus saved us’ line believed by some.

A club like Bristol City? In my view, they’d better hope their owner hangs in there and doesn’t do a Morris..

Think Lansdown has considerably deeper pockets.
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:53 - Dec 28 with 989 viewsFevsBCFC

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 20:41 - Dec 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

You don't think any Derby fan was saying anything like this before they went the way they went?

Maybe all is well in the BCFC camp financially but, as you seem to recognise, the future is likely a downward trajectory and Derby and we know what that looks like longer term.

Yeah, we have already started remedying it.

We wiped £5-7m off the wage bill in the summer, another £5-6m wiped off amortisation too, so that is £10-13m less footballing costs.

We hope to return income levels back to the £30m mark, although expect that is ambitious as some fans stay away due to covid.

I very much think the plan is to further reduce the wage cost this January. Wells, Palmer, Dasilva and Moore are all candidates to move on, whether that me sales or more likely loans. That’s £75k p.w. of wages.

Giving youngsters like Scott, Benarous, Massengo, etc more minutes. May get the odd signing like George Tanner (21 - £300k), but we will be quiet. We will meet FFP this season, and I suspect our covid allowances will get us through next season too.

So I don’t think we are anywhere near being a Derby, who couldn’t even meet their expenses with an £81m (cough, cough) stadium sale.

Lansdown prides himself on financial compliance (Hargreaves Lansdown), he is not a risk taker, nor one to try dodgy accountancy practices like Mel Morris. They are cut from a very different cloth.

Austerity indeed, but not not “bust” by any stretch.
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:58 - Dec 28 with 974 viewsKieran_Knows

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:53 - Dec 28 by FevsBCFC

We wiped £5-7m off the wage bill in the summer, another £5-6m wiped off amortisation too, so that is £10-13m less footballing costs.

We hope to return income levels back to the £30m mark, although expect that is ambitious as some fans stay away due to covid.

I very much think the plan is to further reduce the wage cost this January. Wells, Palmer, Dasilva and Moore are all candidates to move on, whether that me sales or more likely loans. That’s £75k p.w. of wages.

Giving youngsters like Scott, Benarous, Massengo, etc more minutes. May get the odd signing like George Tanner (21 - £300k), but we will be quiet. We will meet FFP this season, and I suspect our covid allowances will get us through next season too.

So I don’t think we are anywhere near being a Derby, who couldn’t even meet their expenses with an £81m (cough, cough) stadium sale.

Lansdown prides himself on financial compliance (Hargreaves Lansdown), he is not a risk taker, nor one to try dodgy accountancy practices like Mel Morris. They are cut from a very different cloth.

‘Giving youngsters like Scott, Benarous, Massengo, etc more minutes‘

Blimey, didn’t you sign Massengo for £8m? Admittedly I know nothing about his injury history, but if you’re paying that much money for a very highly rated French youth player, I’d have thought he’d be getting plenty of minutes (unless there is other issues of course).

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 22:00 - Dec 28 with 971 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:53 - Dec 28 by FevsBCFC

Apologies. I did not mean a Derby in a financial sense but rather a gradual and slow slide down to relegation. As I say, the longest serving club in that division inevitably exits downwards eventually. If you are not the next longest after Derby, I would be surprised. Possibly Millwall?

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 22:41 - Dec 28 with 917 viewsFevsBCFC

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 21:58 - Dec 28 by Kieran_Knows

‘Giving youngsters like Scott, Benarous, Massengo, etc more minutes‘

Blimey, didn’t you sign Massengo for £8m? Admittedly I know nothing about his injury history, but if you’re paying that much money for a very highly rated French youth player, I’d have thought he’d be getting plenty of minutes (unless there is other issues of course).

No, £2.7m (€3.0m). Still a big fee for an 18 year old (at the time). French papers often quote all the potential add-ons too, e.g. promotion (ha-ha), international apps, etc.

I just used him as an example of youngsters taking lots of available minutes. I could’ve used Semenyo (21), Bakinson (22) etc. we will transition our 30+ year olds out over the next 12-18 months.
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 22:45 - Dec 28 with 905 viewsArnieM

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 15:21 - Dec 28 by Illinoisblue

Ouch:

So serious question here . Does this coincide with MA’s tenure at BCFC, and was he responsible for buying and selling their players?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 22:46 - Dec 28 with 902 viewsFevsBCFC

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 22:00 - Dec 28 by Nthsuffolkblue

Apologies. I did not mean a Derby in a financial sense but rather a gradual and slow slide down to relegation. As I say, the longest serving club in that division inevitably exits downwards eventually. If you are not the next longest after Derby, I would be surprised. Possibly Millwall?

Yes, fair point. That is a concern for sure.

Survival this season is key…and with 8 points between us an Peterborough I don’t fear a relegation battle (famous last words!)

Other clubs will be posting record losses too. We are not in a good place, but fortunately we aren’t the worst three in this division. It’s austerity for next couple of seasons. It will be for lots of clubs. We’ve started our course of action earlier than many clubs thankfully. It’s an advantage of having an Accountant as an owner.
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 13:42 - Dec 29 with 647 viewsbriz

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 22:45 - Dec 28 by ArnieM

So serious question here . Does this coincide with MA’s tenure at BCFC, and was he responsible for buying and selling their players?

Ashton joined in 2016, and yes he was responsible for the financials as a CEO/COO.
Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 14:14 - Dec 29 with 600 viewsmonty_radio

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 14:47 - Dec 28 by Keno

Its a scandal and need investigation!!

its Ashtongate!!

Ahem!

Ashton is the problem on 20:43 - Nov 28 with 1072 views monty_radio

Is this problem henceforward to be known as Ashton-gate?

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 14:31 - Dec 29 with 580 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bristol City make £38.4m loss on 20:59 - Dec 28 by itfcsuth

It’s not a positive set of accounts, and a proportion of that was under our new CEO, that can’t be denied.

The operating losses over the last 5 years at Bristol have seriously increased.

Them losses are ok if you have Lansdown to write them off, a pension fund in need of return on investment will not.

They've been all very Evans-esque. Pumping in the money, high turnover of players and to go backwards. The bigger issue for me is the poor judgement in managerial and player signings (I don't really give a monkeys about club accounts as long as they're not threatening the existence of the club). To get it wrong on the pitch is surely the biggest problem fans should be worrying about.

On the flip side, they aren't us and there's no reason why what happened under Ashton there has to necessarily happen here.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024