Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Churchman’s Stand 12:42 - Dec 29 with 3820 viewsITFC_nostalgia

Memories…….

https://www.instagram.com/p/CYESINhozI9/?utm_medium=copy_link
The Churchman’s Stand on 13:04 - Dec 29 with 3233 viewsITFC_Forever

TWTD.

And on a slightly more general point about terracing… it was so much easier to go as a group to games.
Using 1991-92 as an example, I was in the Lower Sixth and there were various factions at our Sixth Form who were all Town fans.
Some were ST holders, some weren’t, but we could all meet together at the same point in Churchmans to watch together, and as the season on, our numbers snowballed and even some of the fit girls from the Upper Sixth were coming with us.

Added to that, other lads we knew from our high school who had gone to other sixth forms brought all their new mates with them too, as well as some familiar faces we recognised from away games, the Spring of 1992 was the very best of days.

TWTFD.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:13 - Dec 29 with 3184 viewsazuremerlangus

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:04 - Dec 29 by ITFC_Forever

TWTD.

And on a slightly more general point about terracing… it was so much easier to go as a group to games.
Using 1991-92 as an example, I was in the Lower Sixth and there were various factions at our Sixth Form who were all Town fans.
Some were ST holders, some weren’t, but we could all meet together at the same point in Churchmans to watch together, and as the season on, our numbers snowballed and even some of the fit girls from the Upper Sixth were coming with us.

Added to that, other lads we knew from our high school who had gone to other sixth forms brought all their new mates with them too, as well as some familiar faces we recognised from away games, the Spring of 1992 was the very best of days.

TWTFD.

I had similar experiences but a decade before yours.

Churchmans was certainly a melting pot of teenagers who weren’t quite ready for the full on North stand experience.

Poll: What type of manager will we get?

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:21 - Dec 29 with 3144 viewsIllinoisblue

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:13 - Dec 29 by azuremerlangus

Churchmans was certainly a melting pot of teenagers who weren’t quite ready for the full on North stand experience.

I started in Churchmans, had a season in lower West Stand for 90-91, then graduated to the North.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:27 - Dec 29 with 3107 viewsNBVJohn

That wasn’t so for everyone!

Once I was able to go without my Dad (circa 1984, up to this point we had stood in West Stand lower) I was straight into the North Stand at the back by the fence separating us from visiting fans. I probably did a dozen or so games there and realised I didn’t really want to be associated with some of the more knuckle dragging fans in attendance (they were very much in evidence in both sides of the fence!)

I tried Churchman’s and realised that it was an all round better experience of supporting the team without so much of the macho posturing.
The Churchman’s Stand on 13:28 - Dec 29 with 3093 viewsNBVJohn

Wonderful pictures by the way - thanks for posting!
The Churchman’s Stand on 13:30 - Dec 29 with 3073 viewsChurchman

That’s a great picture and brings back a lot of happy memories.
The Churchman’s Stand on 13:47 - Dec 29 with 2981 viewsbilllm

I went straight to the north stand as a 15 year old, only time I went in the churchman's was when Lyle was manager with my then girlfriend who's now my wife,
The Churchman’s Stand on 13:50 - Dec 29 with 2970 viewsgtsb1966

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:27 - Dec 29 by NBVJohn

That wasn’t so for everyone!

Once I was able to go without my Dad (circa 1984, up to this point we had stood in West Stand lower) I was straight into the North Stand at the back by the fence separating us from visiting fans. I probably did a dozen or so games there and realised I didn’t really want to be associated with some of the more knuckle dragging fans in attendance (they were very much in evidence in both sides of the fence!)

I tried Churchman’s and realised that it was an all round better experience of supporting the team without so much of the macho posturing.

You found the Churchman's better than the North when you were young. Really. Couldn't beat the North when it was standing only. I remember going in there when there was no segregating home and away fans.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 13:59]
Login to get fewer ads

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:55 - Dec 29 with 2941 viewslongtimefan

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:30 - Dec 29 by Churchman

That’s a great picture and brings back a lot of happy memories.

Not old enough photo for my early days! It’s got concrete steps there, in my early days they were wooden with gaps between them, just wide enough to trap a cigarette butt. There were at least two occasions where the fire brigade were called for small fires started this way and they would appear on a ladder at the back of the stand wanting to know where the fire was!
The Churchman’s Stand on 14:01 - Dec 29 with 2906 viewsPJH

Churchmans was where I was from (I think) some point in 1972/73 until the end of 1979/80 so witnessed some great times from there.
The Churchman’s Stand on 14:24 - Dec 29 with 2793 viewsCageyblue

That brings back memories thanks, although that photo is later than when I used it. I used to stand there when it still had wooden steps !

They opened the gates at half time there as well so I could get in after playing local football and watch what was left of the game !
The Churchman’s Stand on 14:40 - Dec 29 with 2750 viewswitchdoctor

The Churchman’s Stand on 14:24 - Dec 29 by Cageyblue

That brings back memories thanks, although that photo is later than when I used it. I used to stand there when it still had wooden steps !

They opened the gates at half time there as well so I could get in after playing local football and watch what was left of the game !

I have been in all stands over the years but the last couple of years before we went all seater I used to stand in windy corner next to the away fans…lots of ‘banter’ ensued..😅
The Churchman’s Stand on 15:07 - Dec 29 with 2660 viewsITFC_Forever

It was more the fact we could buy a student discount ST for Churchmans and we couldn’t for the North for some reason, but certainly a melting pot of teenagers.

P 1126, W 502, D 288, L 336, F 1711, A 1360
Blog: Confessions of a Statto - Why We Bother

The Churchman’s Stand on 15:51 - Dec 29 with 2554 viewsITFC_nostalgia

The Churchman’s Stand on 15:07 - Dec 29 by ITFC_Forever

It was more the fact we could buy a student discount ST for Churchmans and we couldn’t for the North for some reason, but certainly a melting pot of teenagers.

There was a minimum age in the North Stand (perhaps 14?) at the time so I’m guessing that was the reason the North didn’t have reduced rates.
The Churchman’s Stand on 16:23 - Dec 29 with 2481 viewsmonty_radio

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:50 - Dec 29 by gtsb1966

You found the Churchman's better than the North when you were young. Really. Couldn't beat the North when it was standing only. I remember going in there when there was no segregating home and away fans.
[Post edited 29 Dec 2021 13:59]

Indeed. We stood there in '66 (I think) when Millwall fans visiting with "bottle and brick and waalking stick (Hey Ho, Hey ho etc ) sent os vaulting the rail above the gangway and dropping down to make our escape.

Blog: Too Many Suspects? – A Swede Ramble

The Churchman’s Stand on 16:24 - Dec 29 with 2480 viewsDubtractor

I've got 3 main memories of the old Churchmans stand - I'm someone that changes where I sit from game to game so have never been attached to one stand especially.

My first game there (though not my first game) was the Charlton play off semi in 1987, where Paul cooper saved a penalty but not much else happened as I recall.

I was stood there for Sergei Baltacha's goal scoring debut.

Thirdly, against opponents I forget, we skied a penalty over the bar (Brennan I think) and as I turned to the back of the stand to see where the ball ended up, it was thrown back and smashed me square in the face resulting in a heavy nose bleed.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

The Churchman’s Stand on 16:25 - Dec 29 with 2473 viewsRetroITFC

Some great memories.

The Churchman’s Stand on 16:40 - Dec 29 with 2412 viewsRetroITFC

The Churchman’s Stand on 16:24 - Dec 29 by Dubtractor

I've got 3 main memories of the old Churchmans stand - I'm someone that changes where I sit from game to game so have never been attached to one stand especially.

My first game there (though not my first game) was the Charlton play off semi in 1987, where Paul cooper saved a penalty but not much else happened as I recall.

I was stood there for Sergei Baltacha's goal scoring debut.

Thirdly, against opponents I forget, we skied a penalty over the bar (Brennan I think) and as I turned to the back of the stand to see where the ball ended up, it was thrown back and smashed me square in the face resulting in a heavy nose bleed.

That Brennan penalty sounds like the Derby game we lost 2-0. Brennan sliced it woefully wide.

The Churchman’s Stand on 17:03 - Dec 29 with 2327 viewsFBI

My childhood stamping ground, 1976 - 85.

We used to stand to the left of the goal; I remember an old boy just behind us who used to shout 'play the whistle, town!' at every opportunity, and the smell of pipe tobacco takes me right back. We always chucked chewing gum at Paul Cooper - he must have had tons of the stuff by the time he left.

I once got smashed in the face by an Ian Bowyer miskick, too.

Poll: The career progress of former town players is...

The Churchman’s Stand on 17:04 - Dec 29 with 2319 viewsFPL_Tractor

TWTD. Agree with the early point about terraces. I don’t think I want standing back, but that was a good element (plus the reverse, if someone was being a Wally you could just go somewhere else easily).

For more ITFC chat and some fantasy football mutterings follow me on twitter @fpl_tractor.

The Churchman’s Stand on 17:24 - Dec 29 with 2242 viewsjeera

The Churchman’s Stand on 13:21 - Dec 29 by Illinoisblue

I started in Churchmans, had a season in lower West Stand for 90-91, then graduated to the North.

I started off at the front of the Churchman's on a blue milk crate and remember feeling more grown up when it was later swapped for a green Greene King one.

By the time I was 15 there was a crowd of us making a racket and probably a nuisance of ourselves right at the back.

Definitely the stand to grow up in as others have said.

For reserve games it was always the West Stand, entry for which was something like a quid.

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

The Churchman’s Stand on 17:45 - Dec 29 with 2174 viewsBluespeed225

The Churchman’s Stand on 16:25 - Dec 29 by RetroITFC

Some great memories.

The middle exit is where I was ejected from V Arsenal Nov83. All day in town, I’d had enough so thought Churchmans would be a more relaxed atmosphere. Half time a few came in, Kingfisher blokes threw them out, I somehow ended up in the melee😂
The Churchman’s Stand on 18:28 - Dec 29 with 2078 viewsjontysnut

The Churchman’s Stand on 17:24 - Dec 29 by jeera

I started off at the front of the Churchman's on a blue milk crate and remember feeling more grown up when it was later swapped for a green Greene King one.

By the time I was 15 there was a crowd of us making a racket and probably a nuisance of ourselves right at the back.

Definitely the stand to grow up in as others have said.

For reserve games it was always the West Stand, entry for which was something like a quid.

Started off in the East Stand paddock on a wooden stool, then Churchmans with my dad and his pals, then back of Churchmans with my school mates and then the North. I was in Churchmans for the Man Utd 6-0. Well at least the start of it. A girl I was with fainted so I had to take her out just as the Cockney reds were trying to get in. Ended up listening to radio Orwell in a cafe.
The Churchman’s Stand on 18:30 - Dec 29 with 2074 viewsblueprint

The Churchman’s Stand on 17:45 - Dec 29 by Bluespeed225

The middle exit is where I was ejected from V Arsenal Nov83. All day in town, I’d had enough so thought Churchmans would be a more relaxed atmosphere. Half time a few came in, Kingfisher blokes threw them out, I somehow ended up in the melee😂

Was that the year Arsenal wore the green and blue away kit? I remember some Arsenal that n the Churchmans and a loas being marched around the Town after by the old bill. Was only 11 at the time so memory a bit patchy.
The Churchman’s Stand on 18:32 - Dec 29 with 2062 viewsjeera

The Churchman’s Stand on 18:28 - Dec 29 by jontysnut

Started off in the East Stand paddock on a wooden stool, then Churchmans with my dad and his pals, then back of Churchmans with my school mates and then the North. I was in Churchmans for the Man Utd 6-0. Well at least the start of it. A girl I was with fainted so I had to take her out just as the Cockney reds were trying to get in. Ended up listening to radio Orwell in a cafe.

I've posted before that I was at the front for that game, watching Gary Bailey picking the ball up from the back of his net.

We were all quite taken aback at the time so it's no surprise your friend fainted.

I trust she was ok in the end (and that you got extra points for taking good care of her).

Poll: Xmas dinner: Yorkshires or not?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024