Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... 22:29 - Feb 13 with 8163 viewsTresBonne

He's growing in confidence. A goal would do him the world of good in the coming weeks.

Must be so refreshing for him to have a manager who believes in him & coaching staff who can improve him.

JD's resurgence is a prime example of why you never write off a player. He could potentially do the same. KJ did very well on MK, his best performance in a while. Only 2 seasons ago he scored the same amount and assisted more than Norwood in this division.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:18 - Feb 15 with 1454 viewsDJR

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 20:43 - Feb 14 by PrideOfTheEast

Yep - we will be going nowhere fast with him up front. Technical ability close to zero. The shot when through on Saturday was typical of him. in that position obviously go low and across the goalkeeper, Jackson head down and blast it.

It was his only chance, and you can't expect a striker to score every time he shoots. I think he has more technical ability than both Bonne and Norwood, and it looks like McKenna rates him. The criticism is that he is a bit lightweight but he wasn't on Saturday. As evidence of his footballing brain, he has the ability not to get caught offside.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:01 - Feb 15 with 1403 viewsSouperJim

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:18 - Feb 15 by DJR

It was his only chance, and you can't expect a striker to score every time he shoots. I think he has more technical ability than both Bonne and Norwood, and it looks like McKenna rates him. The criticism is that he is a bit lightweight but he wasn't on Saturday. As evidence of his footballing brain, he has the ability not to get caught offside.

You've got to be kidding. Jackson has the worst first touch of any striker I've seen play for Ipswich. His ball control is mediocre at best, he can dribble ok but he can't turn with the ball well at all for a player with pace, which kind of makes him pretty useless in possession.

He's good at one thing, running without the ball. We might as well sign Usain Bolt.

I don't think Nors is exactly the most technically gifted player either, but suggesting Bonne is worse the Jackson is frankly ludicrous.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:15 - Feb 15 with 1387 viewsDJR

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:01 - Feb 15 by SouperJim

You've got to be kidding. Jackson has the worst first touch of any striker I've seen play for Ipswich. His ball control is mediocre at best, he can dribble ok but he can't turn with the ball well at all for a player with pace, which kind of makes him pretty useless in possession.

He's good at one thing, running without the ball. We might as well sign Usain Bolt.

I don't think Nors is exactly the most technically gifted player either, but suggesting Bonne is worse the Jackson is frankly ludicrous.

Obviously it's a matter of opinion (and McKenna who knows more than most obviously rates him) but I've never thought Jackson was as bad as most people make out. I thought he played well against Wimbledon, and very well on Saturday. Indeed it wasn't just his running off the ball on Saturday that impressed, but also his holding up, laying off and closing down. He certainly struck me as less of a headless chicken than most of our other strikers in recent games. And as I said, the ability to keep onside is a key role of a striker.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:12 - Feb 15 with 1354 viewsSouperJim

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:15 - Feb 15 by DJR

Obviously it's a matter of opinion (and McKenna who knows more than most obviously rates him) but I've never thought Jackson was as bad as most people make out. I thought he played well against Wimbledon, and very well on Saturday. Indeed it wasn't just his running off the ball on Saturday that impressed, but also his holding up, laying off and closing down. He certainly struck me as less of a headless chicken than most of our other strikers in recent games. And as I said, the ability to keep onside is a key role of a striker.

I don't think that you can use his inclusion in 2 games under McKenna as evidence that he "rates him". McKenna is clearly tactically astute as a manager and knows what each of the players at his disposal currently bring to the table. He puts a different team out each week to counter the opposition and impose our game plan. We'll know whether McKenna rates him if he chooses to hang onto him. I for one am highly doubtful.

Of course being able to stay onside is important. However, staying onside is of questionable use when you are ineffective once you receive the ball.

Poll: Prawn Crackers
Blog: Broken Ipswich

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:39 - Feb 15 with 1333 viewsDJR

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:12 - Feb 15 by SouperJim

I don't think that you can use his inclusion in 2 games under McKenna as evidence that he "rates him". McKenna is clearly tactically astute as a manager and knows what each of the players at his disposal currently bring to the table. He puts a different team out each week to counter the opposition and impose our game plan. We'll know whether McKenna rates him if he chooses to hang onto him. I for one am highly doubtful.

Of course being able to stay onside is important. However, staying onside is of questionable use when you are ineffective once you receive the ball.

I don't think Jackson will be here next season either. But what I do think is that McKenna will be looking for more skilful and adaptable attacking players than we currently have. Scott Twine springs to mind.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:42 - Feb 15 with 1327 viewsreusersfreekicks

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 04:08 - Feb 14 by BigCommon

Think some people are missing the point, regarding our forwards roles, under KM.. Imo, they are used as a foil/distraction, as much as anything else.. Occupying defenders and pulling them around to allow other players such as Chaplin , Burns, etc to ghost in unmarked..Or creating clear channels for the likes of Morsy, Cellina or even Woolfy, at times, to drive into. It's a role that requires a lot of, unselfish, effort. Hence , the majority of the time, in most games, a fresher , replacement, striker is brought on at around 70 minute mark... Often like for like. But, as we saw on Saturday, 2 brought on , fresh, to change formation ... My observation, is, that while most of the team are playing a neat, controlled, passing game, and letting the ball do the work (with the odd foray from our wingbacks). It is the forwards that are running themselves into the ground .And, perhaps, should not be harshly judged on their goals return, alone. But, more on, what the team creates, down to their efforts.. It's an incredibly, unselfish role. And perhaps explains, KM's liking for K.J. In that, he is probably showing the right strength of character, to be a team player, whenever called upon, without moaning , when not selected..... I won't be judging our forwards on their goals return, alone. Neither will I judge our defenders too harshly, if a mistake is made, when playing out from the back. Imo, it's the McKenna way. And as long as the squad are together and performing well and picking up points, as a unit. It doesn't really matter who scores, or who, even plays.... In fact, I quite like the unpredictable nature of KM's team selections... Under Cook, we had one main striker, one main focal point in attack and no in game management. It was easily sussed out.

Great post
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:51 - Feb 15 with 1324 viewsArnieM

What is Jackson though, a sprinter or a striker?

There’s no getting away from it, he’s quick. In fact that was the first thing he said when he joined us ..” I’m really fast”. Great 👍 but we are desperate for our strikers to hit the back of the net and none of them seem capable of hitting a barn right now do they ?

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 19:24 - Feb 15 with 1257 viewsEireannach_gorm

Meanwhile Rotherham pickup top scorer in LoI on a free.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/georgie-kelly-signs-for-english-league-o
Login to get fewer ads

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 20:13 - Feb 15 with 1238 viewsArnieM

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 19:24 - Feb 15 by Eireannach_gorm

Meanwhile Rotherham pickup top scorer in LoI on a free.

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/georgie-kelly-signs-for-english-league-o

Well they would do wouldn’t they sat clear at the top of the division !

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 17:35 - Feb 19 with 1145 viewsTresBonne

I don’t want to say I told you all so, but….

Yes, I am being a smart arse.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 17:43 - Feb 19 with 1107 viewsSwailsey

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:01 - Feb 15 by SouperJim

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

[Redacted] on 17:46 - Feb 19 with 1093 viewsvictorywilhappen

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 17:43 - Feb 19 by Swailsey

[Redacted]
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 18:49 - Feb 19 with 978 viewsRadioOrwell

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 17:43 - Feb 19 by Swailsey

Really enjoying the look back at what the board thinks.
I already acknowledged my complete mis-reading of Jackson somewhere else FWIW.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 18:53 - Feb 19 with 954 viewsRadioOrwell

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:14 - Feb 14 by SouperJim

I wouldn't, he's crap.

Offers pace (which can be useful when the game is stretched or you want to create space for others), but little else. There were at least half a dozen occasions on Saturday where his touch was poor, he wasn't positive enough or made the wrong choice where I think any other striker in our squad probably would have done better (and certainly wouldn't have done worse).

He had one of our best chances from open play in the entire game, elected not to take the last defender on and hit a tame shot from distance.

Got nothing against the guy personally, but for me he's toilet.

comedy bump
I would genuinely stick with Jackson.. on 19:31 - Feb 19 with 916 viewsSwailsey

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 18:49 - Feb 19 by RadioOrwell

Really enjoying the look back at what the board thinks.
I already acknowledged my complete mis-reading of Jackson somewhere else FWIW.

Having an opinion is fine, but it really bothers me when people go full on hyperbole and go over the top. At the time of this post being made, we’d already seen KJ deliver the goods when he (briefly) had a run under PL. He gets lots of assists, crosses incredibly well, can shoot etc. He’s a striker in League 1, and he isn’t perfect, but if he was he wouldn’t be here.

He’s clearly a capable footballer. He did it at Accrington, he’s done it here in fits and starts, Posh wanted him (on numerous occasions) and KMK rates him too.

It’s fine to not rate him, but if you go full-on-extreme, you gotta be called out on it!

Who said: "Colin Healy made Cesc Fabregas look like Colin Healy"? | We miss you TLA

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 19:58 - Feb 19 with 869 viewsRyorry

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:12 - Feb 15 by SouperJim

From KM's post-match interview today:-

"Regarding Jackson, McKenna said: “Delighted for him, delighted for him as a lad first of all. As I’ve said before, his personality, how he’s been since the first day, has really pleased me coming into a situation where I knew he hadn’t been having a very good time at the club.

“But I’m just delighted that he’s been able to show what he shows in training every day. He’s really impressed me in training with his pace and his movement, and his work-rate off the ball is of a really high level.

“We’ve seen it in training now for eight weeks. He’s had a couple of opportunities in a couple of games, I thought he had a good performance last week against MK, but I thought he was able to bring that to another level today.

“He scored the goal early and that gives players confidence, of course. It gave Kayden just that little bit more confidence to throw his shoulders back and enjoy the game a little bit more, play with less pressure on himself and just show the qualities that he shows on a daily basis.

“Pleased for him, for how he’s been through a difficult period for him and hopefully he can have more good days like this.”

As well as his finish for the first goal, Jackson showed composure to find Burns and Celina for their goals while Sam Morsy might well have scored Town’s fourth from another pass from the striker.

“He’s a good crosser off of both feet, that’s something that we’ve seen in training,” McKenna continued.

“And he’s very good with his movement patterns. With Kayden, if you give him an instruction, he did it last week, he did it at AFC Wimbledon, if you give him a movement and a certain run and a a certain type of something to look for, he goes and does it. He does his absolute best to execute the plan, so he’s really coachable in that way."

I'd say he rates him.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 20:30 - Feb 19 with 816 viewsStrimmer

A good reminder why I rarely come on here. Lot of people here talk a lot but don’t know what you’re taking about. Pure poison! Shout out to all the sensible heads! See ya

Poll: Was it a punch?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 20:54 - Feb 19 with 780 viewsvilanovablue

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 19:58 - Feb 19 by Ryorry

From KM's post-match interview today:-

"Regarding Jackson, McKenna said: “Delighted for him, delighted for him as a lad first of all. As I’ve said before, his personality, how he’s been since the first day, has really pleased me coming into a situation where I knew he hadn’t been having a very good time at the club.

“But I’m just delighted that he’s been able to show what he shows in training every day. He’s really impressed me in training with his pace and his movement, and his work-rate off the ball is of a really high level.

“We’ve seen it in training now for eight weeks. He’s had a couple of opportunities in a couple of games, I thought he had a good performance last week against MK, but I thought he was able to bring that to another level today.

“He scored the goal early and that gives players confidence, of course. It gave Kayden just that little bit more confidence to throw his shoulders back and enjoy the game a little bit more, play with less pressure on himself and just show the qualities that he shows on a daily basis.

“Pleased for him, for how he’s been through a difficult period for him and hopefully he can have more good days like this.”

As well as his finish for the first goal, Jackson showed composure to find Burns and Celina for their goals while Sam Morsy might well have scored Town’s fourth from another pass from the striker.

“He’s a good crosser off of both feet, that’s something that we’ve seen in training,” McKenna continued.

“And he’s very good with his movement patterns. With Kayden, if you give him an instruction, he did it last week, he did it at AFC Wimbledon, if you give him a movement and a certain run and a a certain type of something to look for, he goes and does it. He does his absolute best to execute the plan, so he’s really coachable in that way."

I'd say he rates him.

Mckenna's humanity shines through here. I do think we have found a fantastic manager at the start of his journey. Hope we keep him for a long time.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 21:29 - Feb 19 with 756 viewsDJR

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:18 - Feb 15 by DJR

I think today proved my point.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 21:42 - Feb 19 with 725 viewsFreddies_Ears

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 21:29 - Feb 19 by DJR

I think today proved my point.

Jackson proved me wrong, proved he has real attributes and proved that KMac is one heck of a manager.

So simple, eh - encourage a player by playing to his strengths rather than asking him to fit to a system... (if it were that simple, everyone would do it)
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024