Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... 22:29 - Feb 13 with 8164 viewsTresBonne

He's growing in confidence. A goal would do him the world of good in the coming weeks.

Must be so refreshing for him to have a manager who believes in him & coaching staff who can improve him.

JD's resurgence is a prime example of why you never write off a player. He could potentially do the same. KJ did very well on MK, his best performance in a while. Only 2 seasons ago he scored the same amount and assisted more than Norwood in this division.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:56 - Feb 14 with 2243 viewsPJH

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:27 - Feb 14 by PhilTWTD

Happens a lot with players who make the trip but don't get included in the 18.

Yes, at most away games there is one and sometimes two players not in the 18 doing sprints until just before kick off.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:02 - Feb 14 with 2228 viewsunstableblue

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:50 - Feb 14 by hype313

Bit of an odd one, can understand from a squad unity point of view, but having to go out and warm up in that cold weather seemed harsh!

Didn’t zouma drop out of the match day team on Sunday just before kick off? Surely then a none match day squad member is then drafted onto the bench? So explains warming up players who are seemingly not in the team/bench

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:06 - Feb 14 with 2216 viewsitfcjoe

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:55 - Feb 14 by hype313

Joe, why was Penny and Pigott doing warm up drills on Saturday even though they weren't in the 18? is that standard practice?

We like to travel with a bigger party, think I've seen it before but normally not in ground early enough to!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:15 - Feb 14 with 2190 viewsmarkchips

I think McKenna is making the best use tactically of the strikers available to him.

The way it is going, I can't see any of them being around next season.

Jackson and Norwood are out of contract, Bonne will go back and Pigott can be sold for a fee .

I bet McKenna already has players in mind but for now he is making best use of what he has got.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:45 - Feb 14 with 2137 viewsFightingEssex

I would play Bonne and Norwood, our two best forwards. Jackson hasn’t delivered anything in 2 years now.

Poll: Next Ipswich Town manager?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:52 - Feb 14 with 2139 viewsBlueBadger

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:45 - Feb 14 by FightingEssex

I would play Bonne and Norwood, our two best forwards. Jackson hasn’t delivered anything in 2 years now.

In all fairness, Norwood has delivered very little in the past three seasons...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:56 - Feb 14 with 2132 viewsEireannach_gorm

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:11 - Feb 14 by textbackup

I’m pretty confident that he could play 90mins in every remaining game and he’ll score no more than 2…

His pace is his biggest asset but doesn’t use it well at all.

I must say I don’t rate him in the slightest, never have, looks absolutely clueless

Toto of the striker world

Toto even being a limited player, was effective against the riight teams . Bonne is a better player but he is not scoring so how is he currently better than Jackson?
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:58 - Feb 14 with 2114 viewshype313

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:56 - Feb 14 by Guthrum

Possibly better than sat shivering on the bench!

They weren't even on the bench! I was sat next to it!

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Login to get fewer ads

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:00 - Feb 14 with 2106 viewsPhilTWTD

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:56 - Feb 14 by PJH

Yes, at most away games there is one and sometimes two players not in the 18 doing sprints until just before kick off.

Have usually tended to travel with 20 under the last few managers. I suppose if only one is doing the sprints someone might have failed a fitness test or dropped out for some other reason.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:00 - Feb 14 with 2103 viewsBeckets

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:52 - Feb 14 by BlueBadger

In all fairness, Norwood has delivered very little in the past three seasons...

Well apart from the 24 League goals in 47 League starts you mean?
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:19 - Feb 14 with 2078 viewsSteve_M

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 09:33 - Feb 14 by Chrisd

It’s not really because as a striker he will find himself in those situations and if he’s not you’d be wanting to know why he’s not getting himself in those positions. Bottomline, he’s in there to score goals and if he misses a few chances in important games he won’t be judged on how quick he is and how hard he has worked, that’s the long and short of it.

Yes, but this is the third division, strikers miss chances. Bonne should have done better with a header from a corner on Saturday and much better at Doncaster.

McK is clearly looking at balancing squad rotation and the individual strengths and weaknesses of the players we have for the rest of the season.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:22 - Feb 14 with 2055 viewstextbackup

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 10:56 - Feb 14 by Eireannach_gorm

Toto even being a limited player, was effective against the riight teams . Bonne is a better player but he is not scoring so how is he currently better than Jackson?

I don’t believe I used Bonne as an example of currently being better than Jackson, in terms of scoring.

However, Bonnes all round game is far superior to KJ. KJ’s football brain is non existent.

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:29 - Feb 14 with 2043 viewsitfcjoe

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:22 - Feb 14 by textbackup

I don’t believe I used Bonne as an example of currently being better than Jackson, in terms of scoring.

However, Bonnes all round game is far superior to KJ. KJ’s football brain is non existent.

I thought he did the plan well on Saturday, just a little frustration when he has a chance to do something and you see a little half a second thinking time before he then tries to do it.

He's a decent option as a 4th striker, and has played a good part in 2 decent away performances/results but feel like the striker position going to get a total overhaul this summer

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:40 - Feb 14 with 1999 viewstextbackup

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:29 - Feb 14 by itfcjoe

I thought he did the plan well on Saturday, just a little frustration when he has a chance to do something and you see a little half a second thinking time before he then tries to do it.

He's a decent option as a 4th striker, and has played a good part in 2 decent away performances/results but feel like the striker position going to get a total overhaul this summer

If his whole job was to only occupy the defence by headless chicken running then fair enough, but as you say the main chance fell to him, and we all knew sod all would come from it.

That said would the other 3 have finished it? Probably not, and IMO they’d have played the plan just as well.

As you say, hopefully 2/3 forwards to come in this summer

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:56 - Feb 14 with 1981 viewsBluroo

In terms of the system KM plays, I think Jackson is the most likely of the 4 to remain here next season. He's in his prime, I would suggest the fitnest and the best presser/defence stretcher we have - "unique" is how KM described him. Obviously people want to focus on the goals, and a few more would be nice, but as 1 of 4 options up front and versatile within that, I think he's ideal because of what he does well.

10 games in and Pigott has one game to show what he can do, I think the writing is on the wall there.
Norwood has a goal in him but I just don't think has the fitness to sustain pressing and running for 60 minutes let alone 90, or 2 starts in a week.
And Bonne, taking the sentiment that he is a "Blue" out of it, I think the harsh reality is that his early purple patch was deceiving and he would be expensive for what he offers. Though he is a clever and puts in a shift so he could be another one of the 4.

I think we definitely need one out and out goalscoring fox-in-the-box and a big and strong hold up player to make up a 4 in an ideal world. Quality to be determined by what league we're in...
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 12:25 - Feb 14 with 1940 viewsBlueBadger

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:00 - Feb 14 by Beckets

Well apart from the 24 League goals in 47 League starts you mean?

...and the endless injuries, the tedious banta, the off field dickery...

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 13:12 - Feb 14 with 1886 viewsMerseyBlue

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 12:25 - Feb 14 by BlueBadger

...and the endless injuries, the tedious banta, the off field dickery...

I often enjoy your posts and comments on covid, politics and music, but why this endless need to sh*t on everything and anything you don't like? Nobody is going to argue with you that Norwood is a Saint, we're all aware of what he has and hasn't done off-the-field. What I don't get is why you constantly have to stick the boot in, whilst also periodically posting about being kinder? It's the same with the F1 and the NFL - whenever a thread goes up, you have to be there to remind everyone that you don't like it.

You seem to have stopped just endlessly posting "something something improved performances", which is nice to see as the joke is long-expired but it just feels a bit hypocritical that you endlessly pour negativity onto one specific player whilst preaching kindness. It doesn't really stack up.

"Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."
Poll: Who will be the winner?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 13:41 - Feb 14 with 1840 viewsChrisd

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:19 - Feb 14 by Steve_M

Yes, but this is the third division, strikers miss chances. Bonne should have done better with a header from a corner on Saturday and much better at Doncaster.

McK is clearly looking at balancing squad rotation and the individual strengths and weaknesses of the players we have for the rest of the season.

Bonne has missed a number of really good chances even when he was going through his 'hot' spell earlier in the season, he probably could and should have another 5 or 6 goals on top of his tally. It doesn't matter what level of football it is, strikers will miss chances, but Jackson's work rate won't be a factor for fans if he isn't scoring goals and we aren't winning games. We've scored 11 goals in KM's 9 games, it's certainly a part of our play that needs improving.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 15:37 - Feb 14 with 1777 viewsBigCommon

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 05:12 - Feb 14 by BondiBlue

Very good point that KM's post match comments confirm. BUT if strikers could also stick away some of the decent chances they've been getting recently, it wouldn't half help.

Absolutely, it would help... I'd like to think that one , or more, of our strikers or AM's could hit a mini vein of goal scoring form, during our run in.... But I also believe, that football is evolving.. Bright young managers, with, new methods and playing styles. The 25 goal a season striker? It's carved in stone, right? It's the law? Or is it becoming old school ?... I can think of a very good team in England, that don't have a recognised striker, at all and are top of the Prem'....... Who would have thought, that we'd see Woolfy dribbling the length of the pitch into the opposition area? Not many fans.. Likewise, who would have thought, we'd see strikers used as sacrificial lambs, for the greater good of the teams results.. It's a hard one to get your head around. Because we are indoctrinated into thinking what "we" think, a striker "should" be doing, after watching decades of football... The irony , is, imo.. A lot of supporters that wanted change and accused previous managers of stubbornness, are actually quite stubborn, themselves.. Hanging onto old school ideas, of what a player in a certain position, "should" be doing... Ultimately, it's our points total that is the indicator of our level of success. Not how many goals an individual scores..... For example, Cole Stockton is the leagues top scorer, and Morecambe are currently relegated, should the seaon end today.....
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 15:49 - Feb 14 with 1770 viewsThe_Realist_09

Bloke behind me at MK had it in for him from the first minute.

Even if the pass to Jackson was 20 yards ahead of him, he'd blame Jackson for not running fast enough and being useless!
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 16:04 - Feb 14 with 1739 viewsChrisd

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 15:37 - Feb 14 by BigCommon

Absolutely, it would help... I'd like to think that one , or more, of our strikers or AM's could hit a mini vein of goal scoring form, during our run in.... But I also believe, that football is evolving.. Bright young managers, with, new methods and playing styles. The 25 goal a season striker? It's carved in stone, right? It's the law? Or is it becoming old school ?... I can think of a very good team in England, that don't have a recognised striker, at all and are top of the Prem'....... Who would have thought, that we'd see Woolfy dribbling the length of the pitch into the opposition area? Not many fans.. Likewise, who would have thought, we'd see strikers used as sacrificial lambs, for the greater good of the teams results.. It's a hard one to get your head around. Because we are indoctrinated into thinking what "we" think, a striker "should" be doing, after watching decades of football... The irony , is, imo.. A lot of supporters that wanted change and accused previous managers of stubbornness, are actually quite stubborn, themselves.. Hanging onto old school ideas, of what a player in a certain position, "should" be doing... Ultimately, it's our points total that is the indicator of our level of success. Not how many goals an individual scores..... For example, Cole Stockton is the leagues top scorer, and Morecambe are currently relegated, should the seaon end today.....

Yes, that's all well and good but when you have a front 3 of top quality international footballers who are regularly contributing goals and assists that makes it a whole lot easier to digest. Sadly, we don't and when we score goals it's in fits and starts. There's no doubt that Guardiola has Manchester City purring in the way they play and they are probably the best club side in world football, we aren't and we aren't even that in L1. We ply our trade in the third tier of English football where physicality and direct football are king. I see you mentioned about Cole Stockton, have a look who is top scorer for the current league leaders Michael Smith, a giant of a CF with 17 goals and 6 assists. So it can't be all bad having and implementing old school ideas? Looks like that can still be effective too.
[Post edited 15 Feb 2022 9:22]

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 16:19 - Feb 14 with 1716 viewsNthQldITFC

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 11:22 - Feb 14 by textbackup

Jackson was the right player for that game against a (relative) quality opponent who could have made use of a bit more time at the back which KJ denied them for 60 minutes, better than any of our other forwards could have done.

Bonne looks really tentative every time he gets a chance at the moment, BUT he will knock one in sooner or later, and if he can get a second soon after, his confidence will come flooding back. A confident Bonne is our best lone striker (in front of two 10s) against at least 80% of opposition teams we will face in this division.

Pigott could maybe do the same role, but seems to have a confidence? problem as well and hasn't got going at all yet.

Norwood is the battering ram option, probably better in a two.

It's actually quite a good balance of options we have, style-wise, but we just need to get at least two of them playing with the same sort of belief the rest of the team seems to have. It's a nice run of games now to get that piece of the jigsaw working in.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 16:54 - Feb 14 with 1685 viewsScuzzer

I’m pretty confident that he could play 90mins in every remaining game and he’ll score no more than 2…

I must say I don’t rate him in the slightest, never have, looks absolutely clueless

Probably could say the same about Piggott. Does not have the asset of pace either. Probably better at hold up play.

Established 1968

I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 20:43 - Feb 14 with 1623 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Yep - we will be going nowhere fast with him up front. Technical ability close to zero. The shot when through on Saturday was typical of him. in that position obviously go low and across the goalkeeper, Jackson head down and blast it.
I would genuinely stick with Jackson... on 08:07 - Feb 15 with 1536 viewsMalcolmBlue

Thought Jackson played well actually, I agree. We should give him a run in the side

Poll: Is Theresa May the "Paul Hurst" of politics?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024