Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
It's written into my managers contracts that... 22:18 - Feb 16 with 3481 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

...they have final sign off on any transfer.

Thought that was an interesting snippet from Mark Ashton.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 09:56 - Feb 17 with 750 viewsBattersea_Blue

I think the most important aspect on player recruitment is that KM gets the final say.

With the best will in the world, KM will not have knowledge of every team and every player within our 92 clubs and around Europe. No one could expect that, especially in the middle of a busy season, particularly when he's primarily a top quality coach, so spending the majority of the time with the players in the building.

We have an extensive support network within the club now and as MA has said, the stats and analysis side of things, both for our players as well as within the leagues, provides massive background information.

So I can see KM saying to someone within the club "this is the type of player I need, must be able to be this, this and this. The stats guys will run that through their algorithm and up pops a bunch of players. The analysts then get clips and background info of those players and presents them to KM.

He then puts together a shortlist and passes to MA and says "here's the preference order" whereby MA scopes and does background work on whether these players are under long term contract, potentially available etc. etc. and starts contacting their clubs to check on availability, pricing, etc.

I can then see another conversation where MA goes back to KM to give all the detail of what he's found out on that list of players and KM then gives his final choice(s).

That's just one scenario of course. KM will know players from his previous clubs and previous experience and the stats guys may well spot something exceptional on certain players that haven't been mentioned, bringing that to KM's attention.

Lots of ways this works, but the bottom line is KM will approve every player that we sign.
It's written into my managers contracts that... on 12:07 - Feb 17 with 688 viewsBseaBlue

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 09:49 - Feb 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

If the manager supplied the entire list, that would be a terrible system.

This is an incredibly vital point to this thread. Scouting isn't new is it? Plenty of the previous managers would have utilised scouting networks and contacts (Bowman being MM's right hand man) Endless lists being produced for potential signings.

Ultimately, it was PC's decision to say yes or no to those players as it is now with KM. In my view, that makes it his signing. He decides whether that player is right for his system, how he fits into the group and how they can develop. He therefore accepts the accountability as to whether it works out or not for that player.
It's written into my managers contracts that... on 13:33 - Feb 17 with 649 viewsArnieM

They have the final say on who goes into the first team. But not it seems which SPECIFIC players he wants .. the manager has been very good at giving us the TYPE OF PLAYER he wants ….

So it looks like Ashton and HIS recruiting team ( built by Ashton himself ) will identify specific players and recruit them to the Club. The manager has the last say on who plays in his first team. That’s big of him! You can see why no established manager would fit the role of Ashtons puppet …,

I note that according to Ashton, the manager works for him, “ he works for me”, really? and not Ipswich Town FC…….

So this Club is Mark Ashtons is it ?

Where does a CEO role start and end because he seems to be billy big bollox, all singing all dancing in charge. His words allude the the mind set of the man who believes he runs the club like it’s HIS and everyone e works for HIM! He comes across as someone who had a big ego …. The big chief , until perhaps the brown stuff hits the fans , then it’ll be everyone else’s fault .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 14:15 - Feb 17 with 626 viewsBloomBlue

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 09:49 - Feb 17 by Marshalls_Mullet

If the manager supplied the entire list, that would be a terrible system.

Agreed, but if the list doesn't include any names supplied by the manager that too would be terrible
It's written into my managers contracts that... on 15:35 - Feb 17 with 589 viewsChurchman

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 13:33 - Feb 17 by ArnieM

They have the final say on who goes into the first team. But not it seems which SPECIFIC players he wants .. the manager has been very good at giving us the TYPE OF PLAYER he wants ….

So it looks like Ashton and HIS recruiting team ( built by Ashton himself ) will identify specific players and recruit them to the Club. The manager has the last say on who plays in his first team. That’s big of him! You can see why no established manager would fit the role of Ashtons puppet …,

I note that according to Ashton, the manager works for him, “ he works for me”, really? and not Ipswich Town FC…….

Where does a CEO role start and end because he seems to be billy big bollox, all singing all dancing in charge. His words allude the the mind set of the man who believes he runs the club like it’s HIS and everyone e works for HIM! He comes across as someone who had a big ego …. The big chief , until perhaps the brown stuff hits the fans , then it’ll be everyone else’s fault .

I have listened to the interview and it doesn’t come across to me that way you interpret it at all. Where in the interview does it say that the manager doesn’t have input on specific players he wants? It doesn’t. He does say that no player will be brought in without KMs say so.

Who else is going to be responsible for building the recruitment team if it isn’t Ashton? I suspect the Chairman who knows the game will have input, maybe KM and Pert, but I don’t know.

Who is to say no established manager would want the manager’s role here? From reports, Neil Harris wanted it and I doubt he was the only one. Regardless, whatever McKenna is, he’s clearly nobody’s puppet.

Modern football clubs have moved on from the days of Robson, Clough and co doing the lot. Even in those days, the Ron Grays of this world did the legwork and Robson had the final say. Same with MM and Bowman.

Modern football clubs have structure a bit like ITFC is going to have and KM alluded to that with his comment when Rolls and co were mentioned. Let’s face it, the Evans zero structure strip out method with Lee O’Neil doing everything from sweeping the floor to community stuff didn’t exactly work well.

As for Ashton, as CEO yes, he heads up the operation of the different strands of football club. He is responsible for that. He is accountable to the owners. It’s how it is. I’ve no doubt whatsoever, if McKenna fails, the owners will have their gunsight firmly on Ashton too, especially after the waste that was Cook’s time. Ashton backed Cook with the bomb squad shambles remember and is accountable, even if he had been here only five mins..

It’s certainly not Ashton’s club. As for the last sentence about it being everybody else’s fault if it goes wrong, I read that on this Bristol City endless thread on MA. Like everything else re the CEO, I will judge him on what he does here.
It's written into my managers contracts that... on 17:13 - Feb 17 with 560 viewsArnieM

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 15:35 - Feb 17 by Churchman

I have listened to the interview and it doesn’t come across to me that way you interpret it at all. Where in the interview does it say that the manager doesn’t have input on specific players he wants? It doesn’t. He does say that no player will be brought in without KMs say so.

Who else is going to be responsible for building the recruitment team if it isn’t Ashton? I suspect the Chairman who knows the game will have input, maybe KM and Pert, but I don’t know.

Who is to say no established manager would want the manager’s role here? From reports, Neil Harris wanted it and I doubt he was the only one. Regardless, whatever McKenna is, he’s clearly nobody’s puppet.

Modern football clubs have moved on from the days of Robson, Clough and co doing the lot. Even in those days, the Ron Grays of this world did the legwork and Robson had the final say. Same with MM and Bowman.

Modern football clubs have structure a bit like ITFC is going to have and KM alluded to that with his comment when Rolls and co were mentioned. Let’s face it, the Evans zero structure strip out method with Lee O’Neil doing everything from sweeping the floor to community stuff didn’t exactly work well.

As for Ashton, as CEO yes, he heads up the operation of the different strands of football club. He is responsible for that. He is accountable to the owners. It’s how it is. I’ve no doubt whatsoever, if McKenna fails, the owners will have their gunsight firmly on Ashton too, especially after the waste that was Cook’s time. Ashton backed Cook with the bomb squad shambles remember and is accountable, even if he had been here only five mins..

It’s certainly not Ashton’s club. As for the last sentence about it being everybody else’s fault if it goes wrong, I read that on this Bristol City endless thread on MA. Like everything else re the CEO, I will judge him on what he does here.

I get what you’re saying . I really do. But there just seems an element of “ my Club”, “working for me” etc that fits uneasily . Trust me I want him to do really well , and I realise it’s a new approach but sometimes it doesn’t sit easy with how he comes across .

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 17:18 - Feb 17 with 557 viewsFrimleyBlue

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 17:13 - Feb 17 by ArnieM

I get what you’re saying . I really do. But there just seems an element of “ my Club”, “working for me” etc that fits uneasily . Trust me I want him to do really well , and I realise it’s a new approach but sometimes it doesn’t sit easy with how he comes across .

I get where you are coming from Arnie. But I will say to defend M/A when you put so much time into something, you do feel it's your club and most of the time you say it naturally rather than purposely trying to make it out that's it's yours.

I used to all the time when I was chair. Because I'd given my all and I was overseeing it I'd always refer to it as my club. But it wasn't. It was the communities club it was just a phrase that became normal to me.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 18:21 - Feb 17 with 537 viewsGuthrum

If that's the way the club is structured, the Manager quite possibly reports to the Chief Executive, with authority delegated to the latter by the Board. So McKenna may well work for Ashton, in a real and meaningful sense.

It also makes a lot of sense to go after particular types of players, rather than specific individuals. We want round pegs to go in round holes and the widest possible choice of those available. If the club can identify a prime candidate for a role within the team who is undervalued, or somehow obtainable when most think they wouldn't be, then that's better than going after just one person simply because it's someone the Manager happens to have come across.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Login to get fewer ads

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 20:03 - Feb 17 with 504 viewsChurchman

It's written into my managers contracts that... on 17:13 - Feb 17 by ArnieM

There is an element of David Brent, action man beard, accent and bullsh£t bingo speak that jars with me too, so I do understand what you are saying Arnie. I worked with enough of it to reach for the bucket.

I just think that on the positives include that he is deeply committed, has a picture of where the club is going, is organised and crucially has experience in the football world. I can live with that and some of the Brenty bits as long as it’s an improvement on the last 20 years.

Trust me, if MA starts playing the blame game or football god, I’ll be hammering him with the best of them. Until then, I’m in the ‘support’ mob!
[Post edited 17 Feb 2022 20:15]
It's written into my managers contracts that... on 20:17 - Feb 17 with 487 viewsxrayspecs

That is not correct.

Players are not just identified by the recruitment team, it has been said previously that McKenna and coaching staff also ID potential recruits, agents will also approach Town with potential players. I doubt that Ashton gets too involved in the ID process personally.

Recruitment team effectively look for players based on the brief given to them by McKenna. A long list becomes a shorter list, fitness data is considered and McKenna reviews and decides which players he wants to target.

It means he can focus on the first team, rather than having to do all the scouting and player ID as well.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024