Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... 20:38 - Feb 19 with 3090 viewsnorfsufblue

as KM integrates him into the team.... still a bit rusty but unlucky not to notch today and I genuinely believe he is the best hold up forward we have.... it will also take time for the team to adjust to his style but I really believe he will become a very important member of the squad.... did an awful lot of closing down today which often led to them giving up possession
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 20:41 - Feb 19 with 2875 viewsCuffy81

Done really well for the opener, should have scored but occupied defenders and made space for others.

Wish some of our fans would get off his back
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 20:42 - Feb 19 with 2874 viewsjayessess

I thought his hold up play was very poor both today and the last time we saw him. We barely ever retain possession when he gets it under pressure.

"Done really well for the opener", he got tackled and the ball fell for Burns! Talk about damning with faint praise...
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 20:49]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 20:52 - Feb 19 with 2792 viewsnorfsufblue

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 20:42 - Feb 19 by jayessess

I thought his hold up play was very poor both today and the last time we saw him. We barely ever retain possession when he gets it under pressure.

"Done really well for the opener", he got tackled and the ball fell for Burns! Talk about damning with faint praise...
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 20:49]

Have to agree to disagree tbf... he gets his body between ball and opponent far more often than Bonne but I do agree his distribution needs to improve but he definitely gave them something else to worry about in addition to KJ.... Wes really should have found him for a tap in first half when he fizzed it too hard across the box.. he was rightly annoyed but I think he is a promising work in progress
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 20:58 - Feb 19 with 2762 viewsjayessess

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 20:52 - Feb 19 by norfsufblue

Have to agree to disagree tbf... he gets his body between ball and opponent far more often than Bonne but I do agree his distribution needs to improve but he definitely gave them something else to worry about in addition to KJ.... Wes really should have found him for a tap in first half when he fizzed it too hard across the box.. he was rightly annoyed but I think he is a promising work in progress

Whatever Pigott does with his body it almost never ends with us having quality possession. One of the reasons Burton had a good spell today was Pigott failing to retain possession 3 or 4 times in a row.

I can put it in stats if you like? Bonne completes twice as many passes per 90 as Pigott and wins 3 times as many aerial duels. He's a way more effective target man. Pigott looks like he should be, but isn't.

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 21:02 - Feb 19 with 2731 viewsFrimleyBlue

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 20:58 - Feb 19 by jayessess

Whatever Pigott does with his body it almost never ends with us having quality possession. One of the reasons Burton had a good spell today was Pigott failing to retain possession 3 or 4 times in a row.

I can put it in stats if you like? Bonne completes twice as many passes per 90 as Pigott and wins 3 times as many aerial duels. He's a way more effective target man. Pigott looks like he should be, but isn't.

Don't let the love of Bonne ruin the appreciation of other players.

Pigott was fine today. Bit rusty going to be. He hasn't had half the season like Bonne has on the pitch. But he grew into it. Held it up well at times and yes also struggled at times too. But he's not as bad as you're making out.

Pigott played today for set pieces. Simple as that and he did the job KM wanted. No need for people to compare strikers imo as they all play depending on the job desired.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 21:26 - Feb 19 with 2641 viewsbilllm

He's a good footballer,great first touch, watch this space,
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 22:03 - Feb 19 with 2524 viewsRomeo4

He did fine and was the width of a post from capping a decent display with a goal. I think he needs a run of games to sharpen up.
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 22:39 - Feb 19 with 2435 viewsBluroo

It’s almost as if some of the critics of Jackson, with their tails between their legs, have moved on to Pigott…
Login to get fewer ads

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 22:58 - Feb 19 with 2388 viewsjayessess

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 21:02 - Feb 19 by FrimleyBlue

Don't let the love of Bonne ruin the appreciation of other players.

Pigott was fine today. Bit rusty going to be. He hasn't had half the season like Bonne has on the pitch. But he grew into it. Held it up well at times and yes also struggled at times too. But he's not as bad as you're making out.

Pigott played today for set pieces. Simple as that and he did the job KM wanted. No need for people to compare strikers imo as they all play depending on the job desired.

When does he stop being rusty? His 2nd ineffectual start in 2 weeks.

I'm generally pretty positive with all our players, but I'm afraid I just don't see anything to be positive about with Pigott. Ball doesn't stick with him, too slow to be a threat in behind, not proven himself a goalscorer, not that adept at finding space, no impact at set pieces, not a great passer of the ball, never had much impact off the bench.

I trust that McKenna has a plan, but I've no idea why we're persisting with Pigott. We're worse with him on the pitch.

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 23:16 - Feb 19 with 2330 viewsFrimleyBlue

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 22:58 - Feb 19 by jayessess

I'm generally pretty positive with all our players, but I'm afraid I just don't see anything to be positive about with Pigott. Ball doesn't stick with him, too slow to be a threat in behind, not proven himself a goalscorer, not that adept at finding space, no impact at set pieces, not a great passer of the ball, never had much impact off the bench.

I trust that McKenna has a plan, but I've no idea why we're persisting with Pigott. We're worse with him on the pitch.

Pigott was influential in the first half as part of a defensive unit at set pieces.

On the attacking side, he dropped very deep at times and this opened up space behind him where Aluko was able to get involved and the ball then sprayed around further

Absolutely agree some things bounced off him. But he put the effort I'm to get it back. Prime example that first goal.

In regards to rustyness its difficult to answer as it varies for players.

BTW I'm not saying his amazing. But he's different and he does do things bonne doesn't ( stay onside for one lol ) I
dont see him playing weekly no, but I do think he's done exactly what KM has asked of him. And today was a prime example.

Waka waka eh eh

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 23:23 - Feb 19 with 2315 viewsbluefunk

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 22:58 - Feb 19 by jayessess

Maybe consider that you don’t know as much as our Manager, who pronounced himself very pleased with Piggotts display, because he gave him a difficult job to do. Still we’re worse with him on the pitch, imagine how many we’d have scored today if he hadn’t been.
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 03:13 - Feb 20 with 2118 viewsBigCommon

I like Piggot's intelligent movement... His overall contribution is very good, imo.. I was gutted for him , when he struck a post, today..... Hope he gets a run of games. ... There's been some criticism levelled at Joe , unfairly, imo..... I think Bonne had a chance to kick on, after breaking his goal drought at Gillingham in the 4-0. I was disappointed that he didn't go on another little golden streak. (Think we were all hoping for that to happen).. But, right now, imo, there isn't much between any of Bonne, Piggot, or Norwood. Except for Piggot, hasn't been given, the same kind of unforgiving run of games, and the support from some of the fans, as Bonne has been afforded... Given, that Joe is a Town player, whose contract runs beyond the end of the season. It would make sense, to try and induct him, properly into KM's playing style, by way of more game time. As long as, it doesn't affect team results .. Just my opinion. Others may disagree....
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 08:47 - Feb 20 with 1942 viewsjayessess

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 23:23 - Feb 19 by bluefunk

Maybe consider that you don’t know as much as our Manager, who pronounced himself very pleased with Piggotts display, because he gave him a difficult job to do. Still we’re worse with him on the pitch, imagine how many we’d have scored today if he hadn’t been.

One of the things I like about McKenna is that he's pretty consistently positive about the players regardless of performance.

Just feel like a bunch of people have decided to hang their hat on Joe for some reason and interpret quite poor performances in that light.

(Oh, and go tell Kayden Jackson that footballers "need a run of games" to perform)
[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 8:59]

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 10:31 - Feb 20 with 1794 viewsnorfsufblue

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 08:47 - Feb 20 by jayessess

One of the things I like about McKenna is that he's pretty consistently positive about the players regardless of performance.

Just feel like a bunch of people have decided to hang their hat on Joe for some reason and interpret quite poor performances in that light.

(Oh, and go tell Kayden Jackson that footballers "need a run of games" to perform)

I very much agree.... and for those that like to prove stuff with stats... JP started 4 of the first 5 leagues scoring twice which I believe is 1/2 ratio..... pretty good for a "useless" striker?!!!
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 10:41 - Feb 20 with 1761 viewspointofblue

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 08:47 - Feb 20 by jayessess

Jackson who went out of his way to say how important Pigott’s style of play was to him finding gaps and being on the shoulder of the last man. Yes, we’d love to get more goals out of him but he’s having an impact and we have the likes of Bonne and Norwood to pressure the front two.

Personally I wouldn’t be surprised to see Pigott replaced by Bonne or Norwood on Tuesday but that will be down to squad rotation up front rather than poor form; I can see Celina coming in for Aluko too.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:02 - Feb 20 with 1725 viewsLankHenners

If you go in a bit OTT in the criticism of a player then you'll likely find a few people push back on it.

Just because I don't care doesn't mean I don't understand.
Poll: What is Celina's problem?

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:04 - Feb 20 with 1714 viewsjayessess

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:02 - Feb 20 by LankHenners

If you go in a bit OTT in the criticism of a player then you'll likely find a few people push back on it.

The reverse is also true.

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:11 - Feb 20 with 1680 viewsDinDjarin

Plank
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:22 - Feb 20 with 1655 viewsLankHenners

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:04 - Feb 20 by jayessess

The reverse is also true.

That is true. I just don't get the idea that Pigott was 'poor' either today or the last start he had. He's been hit and miss but no more so really than Bonne when he's started but he seems to escape similar criticism as the better things he did get focused on whereas the opposite appears true for Pigott. (Though I do agree with you that the 'run of games' argument is a bit thin at this stage in the season.)

Luckily for us McKenna seems smart enough to set up the system in such a way that we're not relying on the striker to have an 8/10 performance every game, though it's very pleasing that Jackson's generated something of a hot streak from nowhere.

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:48 - Feb 20 with 1607 viewsjayessess

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:22 - Feb 20 by LankHenners

That is true. I just don't get the idea that Pigott was 'poor' either today or the last start he had. He's been hit and miss but no more so really than Bonne when he's started but he seems to escape similar criticism as the better things he did get focused on whereas the opposite appears true for Pigott. (Though I do agree with you that the 'run of games' argument is a bit thin at this stage in the season.)

Luckily for us McKenna seems smart enough to set up the system in such a way that we're not relying on the striker to have an 8/10 performance every game, though it's very pleasing that Jackson's generated something of a hot streak from nowhere.

Again, think I'd reverse that. I'm not sure why Pigott's getting so much credit for performances which are very much the low end of Bonne's range (ie. A bit of involvement in build up play, a lot of running, but still a lot of balls lost under pressure and not much goal threat). I don't really get why there's so much investment in him (to the point where I'm getting abuse above) when we're 20+ appearances in and the best he's registered is a 6/10 performance.

In the context of a board where Thompson and Bakinson get written off 5 minutes after arriving, where young players like Woolfenden and Dozzell are all write offs before their 23rd birthday, the Pigott patience is really baffling to me.

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 12:00 - Feb 20 with 1573 viewsFrimleyBlue

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:48 - Feb 20 by jayessess

Again, think I'd reverse that. I'm not sure why Pigott's getting so much credit for performances which are very much the low end of Bonne's range (ie. A bit of involvement in build up play, a lot of running, but still a lot of balls lost under pressure and not much goal threat). I don't really get why there's so much investment in him (to the point where I'm getting abuse above) when we're 20+ appearances in and the best he's registered is a 6/10 performance.

In the context of a board where Thompson and Bakinson get written off 5 minutes after arriving, where young players like Woolfenden and Dozzell are all write offs before their 23rd birthday, the Pigott patience is really baffling to me.

Based on early season Bonne you have a point

Based on Bonne since November, Pigott hasn't played any worse. He's not offside as often either so doesn't ruin attacking phases. He's creating space that Bonne doesn't create and he's been useful during defensive set pieces.

Bonne is better at other stuff hence why KM selects him and not Pigott, depends what KM wants from them.

[Post edited 20 Feb 2022 12:08]

Waka waka eh eh

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 12:27 - Feb 20 with 1494 viewsLankHenners

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 11:48 - Feb 20 by jayessess

I think that's just football fandom at the end of the day isn't it? Everyone has their favourites and ones they're not keen on which biases some of the appraisals, I'm sure we're all guilty of it to a degree.

Specifically on Pigott, he was a bit unfortunate in a sense that Bonne started like a train and made himself pretty much impossible to drop, especially given Cook's stubbornness in just playing 1 central striker, and there's an argument to be had that he should have been brought in for a spell when Bonne was struggling towards the latter end of the calendar year. It's not worked out for him which is a shame really regardless as he came with promise and evidently has talent and good attributes but it just hasn't happened.

I can see why people want him to come good but if you're looking for consistency with regards to how long players are given before being slagged off then you'll be searching for a while.

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 13:17 - Feb 20 with 1428 viewsSawtrich

It's amazing how some people's brains work isn't it? Guy near me yesterday was slagging off Pigott every time we went forward and didn't score. Any hopeful clearance and it was Pigott's fault for not being where the ball landed. A couple of times Burns was played in and failed to pick out a blue shirt with his cross, again this was Pigott's fault. When he hit the post I thought this guy was gonna have a heart attack, it was as if he'd missed the easiest tap in ever seen at Portman Road. Yet he didn't have a single word of criticism for any other player. It's a real shame when people take against a certain player for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out perfectly for Pigott here so far but he wouldn't be playing for Ipswich Town if he didn't have a high level of ability. We've seen recently with Jackson that a player that has been written off has turned out to be a valuable member of the squad. I wish people would get off Pigott's back.
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 18:08 - Feb 20 with 1244 viewsTresBonne

For me, Pigott is always just 'alright'. He doesn't have good games, and while he's not playing badly either, he's just always bobbing around a 5-6 rating.
I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 18:50 - Feb 20 with 1197 viewsjayessess

I hope we are also going to see Joe Pigott blossom... on 13:17 - Feb 20 by Sawtrich

It's amazing how some people's brains work isn't it? Guy near me yesterday was slagging off Pigott every time we went forward and didn't score. Any hopeful clearance and it was Pigott's fault for not being where the ball landed. A couple of times Burns was played in and failed to pick out a blue shirt with his cross, again this was Pigott's fault. When he hit the post I thought this guy was gonna have a heart attack, it was as if he'd missed the easiest tap in ever seen at Portman Road. Yet he didn't have a single word of criticism for any other player. It's a real shame when people take against a certain player for whatever reason, it hasn't worked out perfectly for Pigott here so far but he wouldn't be playing for Ipswich Town if he didn't have a high level of ability. We've seen recently with Jackson that a player that has been written off has turned out to be a valuable member of the squad. I wish people would get off Pigott's back.

For the record, beyond muttering the odd curse under my breath when he failed to hold the ball up, I don't do this (and wouldn't for any player).

Guy in front of me Saturday would not stop yelling at Jackson for staying back at opposition set pieces, which was bizarre.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024