Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna 17:04 - Mar 19 with 6427 viewsITFCBlues

Not good enough is it and certainly not going to cut it next season.

20 goals in 16 games... Not good enough. Its all well and good keeping clean sheets and controlling games, but we create very little clear cut chances or chances in general.

For all the love in everyone's giving McKenna, massive improvements needed next season or we will fall short again.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 12:09 - Mar 21 with 1095 viewsChurchman

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 11:32 - Mar 20 by itfcjoe

What’s the point in talking about Goals Scored without Goals conceded along side it?

There’s every point in talking about goals scored only and results against the better teams if you want to make the points like one of our most balanced and positive posters, Elephantinetheroom. That we are ‘not a very good team’, we are in this league forever, we were better with Cook, squandered the best squad in the league last year and generally preferred the days of Evans because we all enjoy decay and misery.

Personally, as you and others rightly suggest, you need to look at the whole picture.

I suspect if we murder this division next year and sail through the Championship, there will be people complaining about something.

Personally, while for me the season will go down as disappointing, something is being built here and I think it’s now being built the proper way. I am happy with that.
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 12:51 - Mar 21 with 1040 viewsbenrhyddingblue

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 08:54 - Mar 20 by AlanG296

Nobody is denying that we look a much better team than under Cook. But as you know that was not the point at issue here. However you play, only results and points matter if you want to get promoted.

"Only results and points matter if you want to get promoted"

As has been noted above several times under McKenna we are averaging two points a game, which over a season is 92 points. The only reason we are not in a play off place is because of the results and lack of points before he arrived at the club. Your argument is nonsense.
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 11:34 - Mar 22 with 978 viewsBluroo

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 12:51 - Mar 21 by benrhyddingblue

As has been noted above several times under McKenna we are averaging two points a game, which over a season is 92 points. The only reason we are not in a play off place is because of the results and lack of points before he arrived at the club. Your argument is nonsense.

Yup and it wasn't just the start of the season either (as Cook apologists like to narrate).

We only got 7 points from Cook's last 6 games (2ppg being 12) and 9 from the last 10 including the interim fixtures (2ppg being 20) so as well as McKenna having to turn the form around, it's clear as a whistle that the decision was made too late. Had the decision been made 1 month earlier, we'd have approximately 6 more points on the board now (at 2ppg) meaning we'd be well in the PO conversation and 2 months earlier perhaps 12 (at 2ppg) meaning we'd be virtually home and hosed.

Some people still think Cook wasn't given enough time!
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 16:25 - Mar 22 with 934 viewsbraveblue

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 17:07 - Mar 19 by ReusersTown

Someone needs to explain to you how football works mate. Yes 20 goals in 16 games is good enough when you hardly concede a goal! The idea is to score more that the opponent if you needed a hint.

But it hasn’t worked has it?
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 16:28 - Mar 22 with 932 viewsitfcjoe

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 16:25 - Mar 22 by braveblue

Well it has worked because we have picked up 2 points per game

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 09:11 - Mar 23 with 896 viewsBluroo

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 16:25 - Mar 22 by braveblue

McKenna has us picking up points at the same rate as Rotherham, the team at the top of the table, since he's been in charge, so obviously it is working. To expect more than that, instantly, with a team that had been put together and coached entirely to Cooks vision (and who were not performing well) is a wildly unrealistic expectation. Rotherham are settled team with an established identity, Wigan were put together by the man in charge. McKenna has matched that without any of the underlying advantages and had to implement his vision instantly, yet has matched their consistency over 12 or so games. Yes we play tight meaning we hardly conceed and score not to many, but that is obviously largely a consequence of the limitations of the squad he currently has at his disposal. I'm sure we'll score more next season once KMac has tweaked the squad.
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 09:58 - Mar 23 with 875 viewsMediocre_Quick

Have a day off...
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 19:52 - Mar 26 with 788 viewsjayessess

2-4-2* (it'll be 3-3-2 if Accrington get anything from their game in hand)

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Login to get fewer ads

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 20:09 - Mar 26 with 763 viewsSwansea_Blue

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 09:38 - Mar 20 by AlanG296

Not keen, just cautious. On form over last 10 games we're 6th, last 8 we're 8th, last 6 we're 10th. Should have? Means nothing, fact is we didn't.

And then it changes. Of course points decide where we end up in the table, but the only way you accrue points is by delivering good performances. And then you still need some luck however well the players deliver the game plan.

Performance-wise, this is the best I’ve seen us play for decades. The control on games we have is even better than under Burley. Stick someone like Marcus Stuart in this team and I reckon we’d go up easily. We’re playing better than many Championship teams do as well.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 20:45 - Mar 26 with 725 viewsbenrhyddingblue

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 20:09 - Mar 26 by Swansea_Blue

And then it changes. Of course points decide where we end up in the table, but the only way you accrue points is by delivering good performances. And then you still need some luck however well the players deliver the game plan.

Performance-wise, this is the best I’ve seen us play for decades. The control on games we have is even better than under Burley. Stick someone like Marcus Stuart in this team and I reckon we’d go up easily. We’re playing better than many Championship teams do as well.

Absolutely! My sons are 14 and 11 and I have been taking them to games since they were three. They have never seen an Ipswich team control games like we are doing at the moment. Starting this thread was stupid last week and it looks even stupider this week.
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 21:26 - Mar 26 with 705 viewsBiGDonnie

Gutted, you must be p*ssed about todays result?

COME ON YOU BLUES.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 11:41 - Mar 27 with 593 viewsSawtrich

Yes, the OP was based on a small sample size that included a 95th minute equaliser for Oxford and a wrongly disallowed late winner against Portsmouth. Two draws could easily have been two wins, giving us a positive record even before the Plymouth game.

The point that we need to turn dominance into goals more effectively is valid but I'm certain the coaching staff and players are well aware of this.
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 14:12 - Apr 5 with 472 viewsBluroo

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 12:51 - Mar 21 by benrhyddingblue

I'd like to see a poll to understand how many people on this forum grasp this basic point. I suspect it's about 49%.
1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 19:40 - Apr 5 with 408 viewsArnoldMoorhen

1-4-2 record against top half sides under McKenna on 14:12 - Apr 5 by Bluroo

I'd like to see a poll to understand how many people on this forum grasp this basic point. I suspect it's about 49%.

The other point is that there is a hell of a difference between a manager putting their own squad together, choosing players to play their system, and inheriting a massively under-achieving squad with several players being "the previous manager's men", having played for him at 2 or 3 clubs.

To turn that around is remarkable.

The only downside is the complete inverse with Bonne. Went from the League's best striker to a shadow. I do wonder whether he just clicked with Franny Jeffers?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024