Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Happy birthday, Liz. 08:07 - Apr 21 with 1760 viewsSitfcB

GSOQ

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Happy birthday, Liz. on 08:14 - Apr 21 with 1725 viewsitfcjoe

GSTQ

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Happy birthday, Liz. on 10:01 - Apr 21 with 1633 viewsLord_Lucan

Happy birthday your Maj!

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Happy birthday, Liz. on 10:17 - Apr 21 with 1596 viewschicoazul

We wish in our country that morality may be substituted for egotism, probity for false honour, principles for usages, duties for good manners, the empire of reason for the tyranny of fashion, a contempt of vice for a contempt of misfortune, pride for insolence, magnanimity for vanity, the love of glory for the love of money, good people for good company, merit for intrigue, genius for wit, truth for tinsel show, the attractions of happiness for the ennui of sensuality, the grandeur of man for the littleness of the great, a people magnanimous, powerful, happy, for a people amiable, frivolous and miserable; in a word, all the virtues and miracles of a Republic instead of all the vices and absurdities of a Monarchy.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Happy birthday, Liz. on 10:46 - Apr 21 with 1555 viewsTJS

Happy birthday, Liz. on 10:17 - Apr 21 by chicoazul

We wish in our country that morality may be substituted for egotism, probity for false honour, principles for usages, duties for good manners, the empire of reason for the tyranny of fashion, a contempt of vice for a contempt of misfortune, pride for insolence, magnanimity for vanity, the love of glory for the love of money, good people for good company, merit for intrigue, genius for wit, truth for tinsel show, the attractions of happiness for the ennui of sensuality, the grandeur of man for the littleness of the great, a people magnanimous, powerful, happy, for a people amiable, frivolous and miserable; in a word, all the virtues and miracles of a Republic instead of all the vices and absurdities of a Monarchy.

Did Robespierre say this before or after he started having thousands of people murdered ?
Happy birthday, Liz. on 11:07 - Apr 21 with 1509 viewschicoazul

Happy birthday, Liz. on 10:46 - Apr 21 by TJS

Did Robespierre say this before or after he started having thousands of people murdered ?

That was during the Terror I believe.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Happy birthday, Liz. on 15:09 - Apr 21 with 1424 viewsHARRY10

Happy birthday, Liz. on 10:46 - Apr 21 by TJS

err, it was rather a bit more complicated than that
Happy birthday, Liz. on 19:08 - Apr 21 with 1372 viewsLord_Lucan

People downvoting a happy birthday message to a 96 year old

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Happy birthday, Liz. on 19:27 - Apr 21 with 1346 viewsDarth_Koont

Happy birthday, Liz. on 19:08 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

Not from me. I respect how she self-identifies.

And she’s probably been a lot better and more worldly than what we could have had.

Pronouns: He/Him

Login to get fewer ads

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:06 - Apr 21 with 1263 viewslightuser

Happy birthday, Liz. on 19:08 - Apr 21 by Lord_Lucan

My apologies, but I cannot give my respects to this head of an institutionally racist and parasitic organisation.

It's had decades to change its organisations practices, but has not done so.

Its organisation lacks any sort of transparency with its (non-)employment of poc and its financial dodges (even scrutinising and secretly getting legislation changed to suit itself).

One can only assume from these activities, that the 96 year old head of said organisation holds questionable views and practices that would have it sacked from any other organisation.

Why should I admire this seemingly racist, self serving, god-bothering old biddy?
FFS. (n/t) on 21:08 - Apr 21 with 1259 viewsBloots

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:06 - Apr 21 by lightuser

My apologies, but I cannot give my respects to this head of an institutionally racist and parasitic organisation.

Its organisation lacks any sort of transparency with its (non-)employment of poc and its financial dodges (even scrutinising and secretly getting legislation changed to suit itself).

One can only assume from these activities, that the 96 year old head of said organisation holds questionable views and practices that would have it sacked from any other organisation.

Why should I admire this seemingly racist, self serving, god-bothering old biddy?

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:15 - Apr 21 with 1243 viewsDarth_Koont

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:06 - Apr 21 by lightuser

I agree with a lot of the underlying points. I’m no fan of the monarchy as an idea. On the other hand, I can’t exactly blame someone who was born into it.

All families are pretty weird. And with your family being of national importance (I say wrongly but that’s not the point), that must be 100x weirder.

I’m impressed by her stamina and commitment. Which I’d also be for the World Tiddlywinks Champion but on a human level both deserve a fair degree of respect and empathy.

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:34 - Apr 21 with 1220 viewslightuser

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:15 - Apr 21 by Darth_Koont

I agree with a lot of the underlying points. I’m no fan of the monarchy as an idea. On the other hand, I can’t exactly blame someone who was born into it.

All families are pretty weird. And with your family being of national importance (I say wrongly but that’s not the point), that must be 100x weirder.

I’m impressed by her stamina and commitment. Which I’d also be for the World Tiddlywinks Champion but on a human level both deserve a fair degree of respect and empathy.

Ok DK. 👍

But I just think that she has spent her life enriching herself/family and perpetuating the class ridden and non "poc" organisation and society that she was born into.

A lot of very rich people seem to have impressive commitment and stamina when it comes to making themselves more money...

I'm a wee bit cynical. Sorry...
Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:46 - Apr 21 with 1193 viewsDarth_Koont

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:34 - Apr 21 by lightuser

Ok DK. 👍

But I just think that she has spent her life enriching herself/family and perpetuating the class ridden and non "poc" organisation and society that she was born into.

A lot of very rich people seem to have impressive commitment and stamina when it comes to making themselves more money...

I'm a wee bit cynical. Sorry...

I don’t think she can think about a lot of that any other way without rejecting everyone she knows. She’s been a captive all her life in many respects.

FWIW I don’t think she’ll be replaced by anyone better. The next iteration of the monarchy will surely slide into irrelevance like the majority of the European monarchies have – just there for show.

Happy birthday, Liz. on 22:12 - Apr 21 with 1162 viewslightuser

Happy birthday, Liz. on 21:46 - Apr 21 by Darth_Koont

I don’t think she can think about a lot of that any other way without rejecting everyone she knows. She’s been a captive all her life in many respects.

FWIW I don’t think she’ll be replaced by anyone better. The next iteration of the monarchy will surely slide into irrelevance like the majority of the European monarchies have – just there for show.

Agree to differ?

I think that she is a highly intelligent, strong willed and politically astute woman.

She has had plenty of opportunity to try to persuade, or drag along those necessary to enact change.

But that has to start from within her.

I think that she has not had the will because she holds "questionable" views regarding people of colour and thus the house of windsor has remained institutionally racist under her governorship.
Happy birthday, Liz. on 22:32 - Apr 21 with 1135 viewsDarth_Koont

Happy birthday, Liz. on 22:12 - Apr 21 by lightuser

Agree to differ?

I think that she is a highly intelligent, strong willed and politically astute woman.

She has had plenty of opportunity to try to persuade, or drag along those necessary to enact change.

But that has to start from within her.

I think that she has not had the will because she holds "questionable" views regarding people of colour and thus the house of windsor has remained institutionally racist under her governorship.

Sure. But there’s the difference – she’s not the head of an organisation as much as the head of a family and would be hanging family members out to dry.

I see how difficult that would be even if she wanted to. And I can’t expect anyone born in 1926 and that sort of privilege to be all that enlightened or accountable anyway.

Which sort of informs why I think a monarchy/hereditary head of state is an awful idea in this day and age. She’s a human being who shouldn’t be put in that position on any number of levels. But I’m slightly in awe of her just like I’m in awe of crazily religious people who sacrifice their life for what they consider a greater purpose helping the poor (while not advocating birth control that would make a real difference, for example).

It’s f@cked up but there’s still a person there.

Happy birthday, Liz. on 23:21 - Apr 21 with 1087 viewslightuser

Happy birthday, Liz. on 22:32 - Apr 21 by Darth_Koont

Sure. But there’s the difference – she’s not the head of an organisation as much as the head of a family and would be hanging family members out to dry.

I see how difficult that would be even if she wanted to. And I can’t expect anyone born in 1926 and that sort of privilege to be all that enlightened or accountable anyway.

Which sort of informs why I think a monarchy/hereditary head of state is an awful idea in this day and age. She’s a human being who shouldn’t be put in that position on any number of levels. But I’m slightly in awe of her just like I’m in awe of crazily religious people who sacrifice their life for what they consider a greater purpose helping the poor (while not advocating birth control that would make a real difference, for example).

It’s f@cked up but there’s still a person there.

So, now we are downgrading her mag and fam to "many" families slightly dotty old grannies and granddads with "old-fashioned"/ "colourful" views...😁

Unfortunately, those "lovable"oldies haven't got themselves legal (and secret) exemptions from the Equality Act under Queens Consent (the same process she has used for her financial shenanigans).

Oh well, I guess that future historians will put her under the "flawed, but of her time" label.
Happy birthday, Liz. on 00:23 - Apr 22 with 1065 viewsDarth_Koont

Happy birthday, Liz. on 23:21 - Apr 21 by lightuser

So, now we are downgrading her mag and fam to "many" families slightly dotty old grannies and granddads with "old-fashioned"/ "colourful" views...😁

Unfortunately, those "lovable"oldies haven't got themselves legal (and secret) exemptions from the Equality Act under Queens Consent (the same process she has used for her financial shenanigans).

Oh well, I guess that future historians will put her under the "flawed, but of her time" label.

Bit of that definitely.

I’m trying to give a bit of nuance to your overall point which I agree with. I’m just saying that she’s not reached for her position rather had it foisted on her so difficult to get too critical of her as a person.

Hitler, Boris and Simon Cowell chose their evil path. They didn’t have it chosen for them.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024