Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. 17:42 - Apr 25 with 419724 viewsEireannach_gorm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/25/evidence-ukraine-women-raped-befor

https://www.wsj.com/articles/russia-turned-a-bucha-building-into-an-execution-si
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 04:04 - Sep 15 with 5130 viewsKropotkin123

A few things that seem a little bit beyond the front pages.

1. Russia had started to hook up towns in Kharkiv to the Russian energy grid. The not too great a leap in logic being that they have no reason to do this, unless they thought they could hold and annex it. This also demonstrates that Russia does intend to annex more than Donbas and Luhansk.

2. The Ukrainian Military Intelligence (GUR) have reported that Russian security forces in Crimea have been encouraged to sell their houses and leave the region. If true, this would mean that Russia believes it is vulnerable in Melitopol and Crimea.

In the main news it was great to see our contribution to the war effort rise significantly. Second biggest contributor of military aid now at >$4bn.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2022 4:11]

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.
Poll: Are you happy we signed
Blog: Round Four: Eagle

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 06:47 - Sep 15 with 5081 viewsGlasgowBlue

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 04:04 - Sep 15 by Kropotkin123

1. Russia had started to hook up towns in Kharkiv to the Russian energy grid. The not too great a leap in logic being that they have no reason to do this, unless they thought they could hold and annex it. This also demonstrates that Russia does intend to annex more than Donbas and Luhansk.

2. The Ukrainian Military Intelligence (GUR) have reported that Russian security forces in Crimea have been encouraged to sell their houses and leave the region. If true, this would mean that Russia believes it is vulnerable in Melitopol and Crimea.

In the main news it was great to see our contribution to the war effort rise significantly. Second biggest contributor of military aid now at >$4bn.

Desperate assassination attempt?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62910236

Or shoukd we take it at face value.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:58 - Sep 15 with 5059 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 06:47 - Sep 15 by GlasgowBlue

Face value. Considering the anoint of travel he’s doing partly to avoid assassination, I’m amazed there hasn’t been an accident before.

I’m also amazed Putin hasn’t killed him by now. It is the one thing the Russians are generally very good at.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 08:02 - Sep 15 with 5058 viewsKropotkin123

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 06:47 - Sep 15 by GlasgowBlue

They have a tendency to publish information about attempts on his life. There was the three attempts in one week story before. Gives a sense of being invincible, which is in turn a symbol for Ukraine being invincible.

However, at the moment they a delaying most information by days. So if it is an attempt I wouldn't be surprised if we don't hear for the first 72h. Everywhere I look it is almost exactly the same story, so I think they have really controlled the information on this one.

I think now that they have key stakeholders on side, it is less about raising the profile of Ukraine on the international scene, and more about making sure every last bit of information is used to enable Ukraine to deliver on the support they've received within the parameters that are laid out.

I think there is a 50/50 chance we'll hear more on this over the weekend.

Submit your 1-24 league prediction here -https://www.twtd.co.uk/forum/514096/page:1 - for the opportunity to get a free Ipswich top.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:31 - Sep 15 with 5026 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 04:04 - Sep 15 by Kropotkin123

Re our contribution and Polands... they both show up the lack of funds from other European countries. We're both smaller economies than Germany for example, yet we seem to have provided c 3 times the funds. What are they playing at?

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:49 - Sep 15 with 5019 viewsclive_baker

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:31 - Sep 15 by giant_stow

Re our contribution and Polands... they both show up the lack of funds from other European countries. We're both smaller economies than Germany for example, yet we seem to have provided c 3 times the funds. What are they playing at?

Think Ukraine said recently German weapons were very helpful in their recent gains, but probably only to encourage them to provide more. They need to up their game there, not sure why they're so reticent.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:58 - Sep 15 with 5011 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:49 - Sep 15 by clive_baker

Think Ukraine said recently German weapons were very helpful in their recent gains, but probably only to encourage them to provide more. They need to up their game there, not sure why they're so reticent.

I thought I'd heard something similar but here's a link reporting on Ukrainians asking for more help / chiding the lack of further support from them:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/13/ukraine-germany-more-military-hard

Right at the bottom of the article, it hints that maybe Germany fears not having enough left to defend itself, but I've read similar murmurings from the British military, so maybe it just comes down to priorities and if so.... well make your own conclusions.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2022 9:59]

Has anyone ever looked at their own postings for last day or so? Oh my... so sorry. Was Ullaa
Poll: A clasmate tells your son their going to beat him up in the playground after sch

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:17 - Sep 15 with 4982 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 09:58 - Sep 15 by giant_stow

I thought I'd heard something similar but here's a link reporting on Ukrainians asking for more help / chiding the lack of further support from them:
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/sep/13/ukraine-germany-more-military-hard

Right at the bottom of the article, it hints that maybe Germany fears not having enough left to defend itself, but I've read similar murmurings from the British military, so maybe it just comes down to priorities and if so.... well make your own conclusions.
[Post edited 15 Sep 2022 9:59]

An interesting perspective on Europe’s military support for Ukraine

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraines-wins-turn-focus-back-on-europes-waning-

If you are kind, ‘patchy’ covers it. With regard to Germany, they never had enough to defend themselves before Russia started on Ukraine. They’ve allowed others (the US) to do the heavy lifting for decades, which has of course helped them from an economic growth and wealth perspective.

German military is plain weak. Technically good kit in many areas, as you’d expect from a country of great engineers, but neglect, lack of interest and lack of investment characterises it. A certain Ursula Von der Leyen oversaw five years of run down before her current EU job and already had a reputation for being useless before the German defence role.

At one point, they had just a handful of working Typhoon Eurofighters and one operational Leopard 2 tank. Shortage of spares, people and munitions were the main reason. They are talking about a financial package next year. If it happens (doubtful) it’ll be years before Germany has any military worthy of the name.

Before now none of this mattered. The policy was increasing trade with Russia to remove the military threat. Cheap energy and other raw materials imported, machinery, tech and finished goods exported. A massive win for Germany. A logical solution. They get the profits and neutralise the threat. Ready smiles, handshakes and holidays on the Black Sea. No problem as long as you ignore poisonings, Crimea etc.

It’s all blown up in their faces. They’re lucky Russia are proving so inept. It’ll give them time to do something about defence, but the question is will they? I look at Scholz and variable attitude towards Putin in Germany and wonder if there is really a will once the shock of the last six months has worn off.
Login to get fewer ads

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:25 - Sep 15 with 4978 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:17 - Sep 15 by Churchman

https://www.politico.eu/article/ukraines-wins-turn-focus-back-on-europes-waning-

If you are kind, ‘patchy’ covers it. With regard to Germany, they never had enough to defend themselves before Russia started on Ukraine. They’ve allowed others (the US) to do the heavy lifting for decades, which has of course helped them from an economic growth and wealth perspective.

German military is plain weak. Technically good kit in many areas, as you’d expect from a country of great engineers, but neglect, lack of interest and lack of investment characterises it. A certain Ursula Von der Leyen oversaw five years of run down before her current EU job and already had a reputation for being useless before the German defence role.

At one point, they had just a handful of working Typhoon Eurofighters and one operational Leopard 2 tank. Shortage of spares, people and munitions were the main reason. They are talking about a financial package next year. If it happens (doubtful) it’ll be years before Germany has any military worthy of the name.

Before now none of this mattered. The policy was increasing trade with Russia to remove the military threat. Cheap energy and other raw materials imported, machinery, tech and finished goods exported. A massive win for Germany. A logical solution. They get the profits and neutralise the threat. Ready smiles, handshakes and holidays on the Black Sea. No problem as long as you ignore poisonings, Crimea etc.

It’s all blown up in their faces. They’re lucky Russia are proving so inept. It’ll give them time to do something about defence, but the question is will they? I look at Scholz and variable attitude towards Putin in Germany and wonder if there is really a will once the shock of the last six months has worn off.

Good post and thanks for the link - I'm saving it for lunchtime.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:31 - Sep 15 with 4924 viewsWeWereZombies

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 12:17 - Sep 15 by Churchman

Worth bearing in mind that for decades after the Second World War anything that even vaguely hinted at German rearmament was heavily clamped down on by the United States, France, the United Kingdom and, err, Russia. Even after this was relaxed I think the Germans were so wary of antagonising their neighbours, who had suffered terribly as a result of German militarism in the first half of the Twentieth century, that they proceeded with caution.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:01 - Sep 15 with 4901 viewsBLUEBEAT

Russian Oligarch Epidemic

Poll: W or W

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:44 - Sep 15 with 4831 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:01 - Sep 15 by BLUEBEAT

Russian Oligarch Epidemic

It’s some list that. Dangerous job being a Russian oligarch
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 23:56 - Sep 15 with 4828 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:31 - Sep 15 by WeWereZombies

Worth bearing in mind that for decades after the Second World War anything that even vaguely hinted at German rearmament was heavily clamped down on by the United States, France, the United Kingdom and, err, Russia. Even after this was relaxed I think the Germans were so wary of antagonising their neighbours, who had suffered terribly as a result of German militarism in the first half of the Twentieth century, that they proceeded with caution.

It wasn’t quite like that. In 1955 the Bundeswehr was officially formed. It means Federal Defence and the western allies encouraged, trained, supplied kit towards it even before 1955. The limit within German constitution was I believe around foreign adventures, not the Cold War/defence of Germany against the USSR.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 02:30 - Sep 16 with 4795 viewsKropotkin123

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 15:31 - Sep 15 by WeWereZombies

Or that they are the 5th biggest supplier or arms in the world. France really are toothless though. Begged us to help them hit targets with our superior planes after their terrorist attacks. Won't do anything to help Ukraine being invaded by Russia.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:30 - Sep 16 with 4757 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 02:30 - Sep 16 by Kropotkin123

Or that they are the 5th biggest supplier or arms in the world. France really are toothless though. Begged us to help them hit targets with our superior planes after their terrorist attacks. Won't do anything to help Ukraine being invaded by Russia.

They’ve certainly helped Russia in recent years.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/world-news/2022/04/22/exclusive-france-germany-evade

The UKs hands are hardly clean on this but where France and Germany’s interests lie is blindingly obvious.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 08:03 - Sep 16 with 4721 viewsgiant_stow

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 02:30 - Sep 16 by Kropotkin123

Fascinating and surprising stats. I'm shocked how low the UK is in that list - always assumed we would be 3rd on such a list for some reason. I mean who know Italy even made weapons.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 08:17 - Sep 16 with 4706 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 08:03 - Sep 16 by giant_stow

Fascinating and surprising stats. I'm shocked how low the UK is in that list - always assumed we would be 3rd on such a list for some reason. I mean who know Italy even made weapons.

A bit of HoC information on U.K. exports

https://researchbriefings.files.parliament.uk/documents/CBP-8310/CBP-8310.pdf
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 16:44 - Sep 16 with 4651 viewsKropotkin123

BBC was using Kiel Institute stats, so I went to the source.

I thought it would be interesting to link this one, as it shows the contribution beyond military spending. If it was true that some countries cant provide military aid, then they could provide humanitarian aid or financial aid.

This second one shows contribution by GDP. Note that Canada and the USA were both the same colour as the UK. China was the same colour as France!

Poland rightly get a lot of respect for their contribution. But I think this information gives people the opportunity to appreciate the contribution of Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania, Norway, Czechia and Slovakia.

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 17:22 - Sep 16 with 4635 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

I imagine there’ll be a few countries after a refund having seen the performance of Russian weaponry versus those provided by NATO countries.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 18:19 - Sep 16 with 4591 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 19:07 - Sep 16 with 4572 viewsEireannach_gorm

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 20:01 - Sep 16 with 4544 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 19:07 - Sep 16 by Eireannach_gorm

The bloke speaking to the convicts - a real motivational speaker. It’s back to the good ole NKVD days where turn around= get shot. Enemy at the Gates - run alongside and when the mush next to you is killed, you can have his rifle.

Don’t fancy the chances of those blokes who told that officer to do one.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 02:48 - Sep 17 with 4470 viewsKropotkin123

"Ukraine counter-offensive won't change Russia's plans" — Putin. Re-assuring, as their plans suck, their "soldiers" have zero morale, and they're losing territory rapidly!

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:24 - Sep 17 with 4425 viewsChurchman

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 02:48 - Sep 17 by Kropotkin123

"Ukraine counter-offensive won't change Russia's plans" — Putin. Re-assuring, as their plans suck, their "soldiers" have zero morale, and they're losing territory rapidly!

Yes, Putin is stonewalling. He seems for the moment to be using his made up ‘disputed territories’ as the war aim, but of course it wasn’t and isn’t. He’s just got stuck. The state of his armed forces is an issue, though I suspect that’s patchy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62914958

What next? Tactical nuclear weapons? I doubt it. It’s something I doubt best mates China and India could agree to. Keep battering away with conventional forces. It’s the most likely.
The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:36 - Sep 17 with 4422 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

The 'special military operation' continues to reach new lows. on 07:24 - Sep 17 by Churchman

Yes, Putin is stonewalling. He seems for the moment to be using his made up ‘disputed territories’ as the war aim, but of course it wasn’t and isn’t. He’s just got stuck. The state of his armed forces is an issue, though I suspect that’s patchy.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-62914958

What next? Tactical nuclear weapons? I doubt it. It’s something I doubt best mates China and India could agree to. Keep battering away with conventional forces. It’s the most likely.

The Chinese and Indian leaders definitely seem to have realised that they may have backed the wrong horse and are now hedging their bets.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If the choice is Moore or no more.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024