Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One of the best signings we ever made 07:47 - May 11 with 2611 viewsGlasgowBlue

I dint think it can be over estimated to say how much this club was on its arse before John Lyall won the First Division title.

That title win is the reason we get 20,000+ fans at a league one game 30 years later.

Portman Road was a morgue. We were getting crowds of under 10,000. Lyall brought the fans back and that title win set up everything that went after it.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

One of the best signings we ever made on 08:00 - May 11 with 2506 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Took only 2 seasons to get out of the old 2nd division. Played some lovely football didn’t they, with a rum old mixture of experience and youth.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

One of the best signings we ever made on 08:12 - May 11 with 2450 viewsEly_Blue

One of the best signings we ever made on 08:00 - May 11 by StochesStotasBlewe

Took only 2 seasons to get out of the old 2nd division. Played some lovely football didn’t they, with a rum old mixture of experience and youth.

But also another example of why when the manager moves on that you don’t appoint his assistant as your next manager (see also when Sir Bobby left)

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

One of the best signings we ever made on 08:22 - May 11 with 2404 viewsPippin1970

The game versus Newcastle was amazing.
One of the best signings we ever made on 08:30 - May 11 with 2365 viewsChurchman

He did a great job. Lyall inherited some good professionals like Stockwell, Dozzell, Kiwomya, Linighan, Johnson,Thompson along with of course exceptional John Wark. Add in a few experienced additions like Whitton and Goddard, he welded together a really good team.

They just got better and better and despite delaying the inevitable with a loss at Ashton gate and a nothing draw with Grimsby, won that division with relative ease. Highlights for me were:

Southend at home - a 1-0 very early in the season. A humble sort of game but it was the first time I thought ‘hello, we are onto something here’
Bristol City - small crowd, thumping 4-2 win. We looked strong.
Blackburn - favourites, but beaten with a 2-1 comeback over Christmas
Portsmouth - 5-2 hiding
Newcastle - good game and atmosphere and a 3-2 comeback
Wolves - important late winner in an atmospheric evening game
Brighton - celebration all the way

Sadly, I couldn’t go to the Oxford game due to work and had to content myself with listening to the radio, but I’ll never forget the feeling when the result came through.

There were lows, of course, Camb Utd loss at home with their ghastly hoofball was one, but we saw the Liverpool games, of course, and it was after the Anfield game I knew we’d win the division.

A fabulous season. Thank you Mr Lyall.
One of the best signings we ever made on 08:57 - May 11 with 2290 viewsSharkey

One of the best signings we ever made on 08:12 - May 11 by Ely_Blue

But also another example of why when the manager moves on that you don’t appoint his assistant as your next manager (see also when Sir Bobby left)

Shankly-Paisley-Fagan went ok
One of the best signings we ever made on 09:11 - May 11 with 2232 viewsfarkenhell

One of the best signings we ever made on 08:30 - May 11 by Churchman

He did a great job. Lyall inherited some good professionals like Stockwell, Dozzell, Kiwomya, Linighan, Johnson,Thompson along with of course exceptional John Wark. Add in a few experienced additions like Whitton and Goddard, he welded together a really good team.

They just got better and better and despite delaying the inevitable with a loss at Ashton gate and a nothing draw with Grimsby, won that division with relative ease. Highlights for me were:

Southend at home - a 1-0 very early in the season. A humble sort of game but it was the first time I thought ‘hello, we are onto something here’
Portsmouth - 5-2 hiding

Sadly, I couldn’t go to the Oxford game due to work and had to content myself with listening to the radio, but I’ll never forget the feeling when the result came through.

There were lows, of course, Camb Utd loss at home with their ghastly hoofball was one, but we saw the Liverpool games, of course, and it was after the Anfield game I knew we’d win the division.

The Blackburn game was, for me, the one where I first thought we might make a decent challenge for promotion. And backing it up with more decent results over the Christmas period. Before then, we were frustratingly inconsistent.
One of the best signings we ever made on 10:48 - May 11 with 2062 viewsEly_Blue

One of the best signings we ever made on 08:57 - May 11 by Sharkey

Shankly-Paisley-Fagan went ok

Sir Bobby - Ferguson & Lyall - McGiven less so

Likewise Clough - Taylor too I believe
[Post edited 11 May 2022 10:49]

One of the best signings we ever made on 10:59 - May 11 with 2013 viewsParisBlue

Portsmouth - 5-2 hiding

Wark was an element of luck though. Gayle was sold to Sheff Utd, then Hunes was injured at Newcastle leavingvus short. Wark used to pop in to the club as the job centre was next door, then started training, then was signed to play vs Grimsby.

Libraries gave us power
Poll: Which position in the table will we be after Saturday?

Login to get fewer ads

One of the best signings we ever made on 11:55 - May 11 with 1916 viewsGlasgowBlue

One of the best signings we ever made on 10:48 - May 11 by Ely_Blue

Dalglish - Hartford immediately springs to mind.

From Premier League Champions to the Championship.

Iron Lion Zion

One of the best signings we ever made on 16:25 - May 11 with 1695 viewsfarkenhell

One of the best signings we ever made on 10:48 - May 11 by Ely_Blue

I think you're being a tad unfair to Ferguson here. The club was in financial turmoil and we lost pretty much the entire Uefa Cup winning side within a couple of years of Robson's leaving. I think even SBR himself would have struggled in those circumstances.

Edited to say that Clough wasn't half as effective without Taylor. They both underwhelmed when managing on their own, however they had an outstanding partnership at both Derby and Forest.
[Post edited 11 May 2022 16:29]
One of the best signings we ever made on 19:28 - May 11 with 1529 viewsEly_Blue

One of the best signings we ever made on 16:25 - May 11 by farkenhell

I think you're being a tad unfair to Ferguson here. The club was in financial turmoil and we lost pretty much the entire Uefa Cup winning side within a couple of years of Robson's leaving. I think even SBR himself would have struggled in those circumstances.

Edited to say that Clough wasn't half as effective without Taylor. They both underwhelmed when managing on their own, however they had an outstanding partnership at both Derby and Forest.

I think SBR would have had more clout to get players to come to PR though

One of the best signings we ever made on 19:33 - May 11 with 1518 viewschicoazul

Many people disagree when I say the Lyall title was the clubs greatest achievement. They don’t understand the context that you have nicely explained. The team was full of no hopers kids and has beens. He turned them into Champions in one season in the teeth of huge spending by Derby Blackburn and Toon.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

One of the best signings we ever made on 19:41 - May 11 with 1497 viewsGlasgowBlue

One of the best signings we ever made on 16:25 - May 11 by farkenhell

In Fergusson's first season we finished 9th and thirty points off the top. That was just a season after being runners up and with pretty much the same squad, with the exception of Arnie Murhen and an ageing Mick Mills.

Ipswich Town FC Squad, 1982-83

Paul Cooper
Terry Butcher
John Wark
Laurie Sivell
Robin Turner
Frans Thijssen
Alan Brazil
Paul Mariner
George Burley
Russell Osman
Steve McCall
Kevin Steggles
Kevin O'Callaghan
Mich D'Avray
Trevor Putney
Eric Gates
Irvin Gernon
Ian Cranson
Frank Yallop
Mick Stockwell
[Post edited 11 May 2022 19:59]

Iron Lion Zion

One of the best signings we ever made on 19:58 - May 11 with 1446 viewsBluespeed225

One of the best signings we ever made on 19:41 - May 11 by GlasgowBlue

In Fergusson's first season we finished 9th and thirty points off the top. That was just a season after being runners up and with pretty much the same squad, with the exception of Arnie Murhen and an ageing Mick Mills.

Ipswich Town FC Squad, 1982-83

Paul Cooper
Terry Butcher
John Wark
Laurie Sivell
Robin Turner
Frans Thijssen
Alan Brazil
Paul Mariner
George Burley
Russell Osman
Steve McCall
Kevin Steggles
Kevin O'Callaghan
Mich D'Avray
Trevor Putney
Eric Gates
Irvin Gernon
Ian Cranson
Frank Yallop
Mick Stockwell
[Post edited 11 May 2022 19:59]

we did. The players minds were elsewhere by then, 3 tilts at getting close for some, 77, 81, 82, getting on a bit, hearing what other players were getting paid, one last contract somewhere, Wark obvious exception as he went to probably best team in Europe. How gates, Butch, Osman hung on till 85' was a surprise.
One of the best signings we ever made on 19:59 - May 11 with 1441 viewsBluespeed225

Portsmouth - 5-2 hiding

Thought Zondervan was also a key element, was disapointed he didn't stay for Prem' opening season.
One of the best signings we ever made on 22:06 - May 11 with 1317 viewsFearon

One of the best signings we ever made on 09:11 - May 11 by farkenhell

The Blackburn game was, for me, the one where I first thought we might make a decent challenge for promotion. And backing it up with more decent results over the Christmas period. Before then, we were frustratingly inconsistent.

I agree, Blackburn home game was a big confidence boost that we could compete with the big spenders. Southend away is probably my favourite away game all these years later. Also enjoyed away wins at Millwall and Wolves with Dozzell waltzing through the defence to score. Great season and Lyall worked wonders with a very limited budget .
One of the best signings we ever made on 22:48 - May 11 with 1190 viewsBlueyandCrazy

One of the best signings we ever made on 19:58 - May 11 by Bluespeed225

we did. The players minds were elsewhere by then, 3 tilts at getting close for some, 77, 81, 82, getting on a bit, hearing what other players were getting paid, one last contract somewhere, Wark obvious exception as he went to probably best team in Europe. How gates, Butch, Osman hung on till 85' was a surprise.

They didn’t hold Ferguson in the same respect as Robson. Several had had run ins with him.
All well in hindsight, but it needed a fresh start; manager from the outside.
However the Pioneer stand meant sales were needed and managing itfc post Robson was the poison chalice then that Man U post Ferguson was a few years ago

Poll: Worst ever ITFC manager

One of the best signings we ever made on 23:13 - May 11 with 1119 viewsChurchman

One of the best signings we ever made on 22:48 - May 11 by BlueyandCrazy

They didn’t hold Ferguson in the same respect as Robson. Several had had run ins with him.
All well in hindsight, but it needed a fresh start; manager from the outside.
However the Pioneer stand meant sales were needed and managing itfc post Robson was the poison chalice then that Man U post Ferguson was a few years ago

Ferguson was a coach, not a manager. He deserved his chance, but it was a shame it wasn’t somewhere else. Following Robson was never going to be easy.

I was relieved when he went, only to see Duncan replace him. A nice man, but out of his depth. I always thought John Lyall would do well here he was a good fit, but maybe if he’d been a couple of years younger he’d have done better for longer.

I thought at the time Curbishley might have been a good fit for the club after he left West Ham. It would have been a Lyall-esque style appointment, but there it is. He might have failed like all the rest bar MM.
One of the best signings we ever made on 08:59 - May 12 with 877 viewsfarkenhell

One of the best signings we ever made on 19:59 - May 11 by Bluespeed225

Thought Zondervan was also a key element, was disapointed he didn't stay for Prem' opening season.

"Mr Consistent". Signed by Ferguson, I should add.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024