Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bakinson 12:46 - May 20 with 3958 viewsGarv

What do people think?

When mentioned on various podcasts people seem to be indifferent on him, take him or leave him.

I'm surprised there's not more folk wanting us to snap him up. I think he got gradually better over the season - which he finished with a belter - and unless Harper is going to come back into the fold and suddenly be a different player, I think we should be taking the option on Bakinson.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

Bakinson on 16:27 - May 20 with 858 viewscressi

Bakinson on 16:20 - May 20 by topguy

Dont mean there are not players able to do well, buying doesnt bring success targetting the right players regardless of cost is more important, for example luton team cost about a million this season and most clubs in L1 cost less than us they finished 6th in CS and we were behind 10 others in L1, buying is not the quick fix getting the right players is.

Man City don't agree with you
Bakinson on 16:36 - May 20 with 836 viewsSTYG

Bakinson on 16:20 - May 20 by topguy

Dont mean there are not players able to do well, buying doesnt bring success targetting the right players regardless of cost is more important, for example luton team cost about a million this season and most clubs in L1 cost less than us they finished 6th in CS and we were behind 10 others in L1, buying is not the quick fix getting the right players is.

When you want to identify the right player then it's far more likely they are one of 5,000 under contract than one of 500 out of contract.

It's a bonus if the player you want is free either because he's not needed at his Championship club or has decided to let his contract run down because he's too good for his League One club, but ultimately we will be looking for very good players, and they don't to be allowed to leave or have their contracts run down.

Luton have no money. They had to bring in out of contract and cheap players because they get about 7,000 fans at Kenilworth Road and have no parachute money. The clubs around the top 6 will have big crowds or parachute payments most likely.

We aren't in their boat. We have almost unlimited financial backing in the sense that we can buy pretty much any player that would actually want to play for us on the best wages we could realistically offer and we are also a massive club at this level. We will be shopping for top performers that hit a lot of data markers. We aren't looking for squad filler.

If there's a player out there in the top 10% for shots, shots on target, dribbles, completed crosses etc they are going to to be under contract and require a decent fee.
Bakinson on 16:36 - May 20 with 836 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

I like Bakinson. For the most part looks to play the ball forward. Got some unnecessary stick early doors here. Formed a decent partnership with Morsy as the season progressed and can see much more to come with the coaching staff we now have in place.

Of course, I know b-gger all in the grand scheme of things.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Bakinson on 16:40 - May 20 with 832 viewsVeggie

Bakinson on 13:12 - May 20 by Garv

Do we? Not enough match winners in the team otherwise? Morsy, Burns, Chaplin, Celina if he signs...etc

He's got a goal in him anyway, in fairness.

Ah yes. That explains why we win so many matches.
Bakinson on 16:56 - May 20 with 801 viewsDJR

Bakinson on 16:36 - May 20 by StochesStotasBlewe

I like Bakinson. For the most part looks to play the ball forward. Got some unnecessary stick early doors here. Formed a decent partnership with Morsy as the season progressed and can see much more to come with the coaching staff we now have in place.

Of course, I know b-gger all in the grand scheme of things.

You and me both, but I agree. We did pretty well in most of the games he played in, including when Morsy was absent. Indeed, he didn't play in arguably our two worst games since he arrived, Gillingham and Cambridge. In the first, Evans played with Carroll, and in the second, Morsy played with Carrol. The other thing to note is that McKenna played him in preference to El Miz and Harper, which may indicate he favours him above them and sees something in him. His career record of 10 goals in about 100 games is also not bad for a midfielder.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 16:58]
Bakinson on 17:12 - May 20 with 760 viewsmylittletown

Bakinson on 16:36 - May 20 by STYG

When you want to identify the right player then it's far more likely they are one of 5,000 under contract than one of 500 out of contract.

It's a bonus if the player you want is free either because he's not needed at his Championship club or has decided to let his contract run down because he's too good for his League One club, but ultimately we will be looking for very good players, and they don't to be allowed to leave or have their contracts run down.

Luton have no money. They had to bring in out of contract and cheap players because they get about 7,000 fans at Kenilworth Road and have no parachute money. The clubs around the top 6 will have big crowds or parachute payments most likely.

We aren't in their boat. We have almost unlimited financial backing in the sense that we can buy pretty much any player that would actually want to play for us on the best wages we could realistically offer and we are also a massive club at this level. We will be shopping for top performers that hit a lot of data markers. We aren't looking for squad filler.

If there's a player out there in the top 10% for shots, shots on target, dribbles, completed crosses etc they are going to to be under contract and require a decent fee.

Almost unlimited financial backing?

Let's get Ronaldo then. KMcK will know him, he wants out of ManU, money won't won't be an object, because we are so rich.
Bakinson on 17:59 - May 20 with 723 viewsBlueBadger

Bakinson on 16:40 - May 20 by Veggie

Ah yes. That explains why we win so many matches.

Nearly 50% of them?

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Bakinson on 18:15 - May 20 with 706 viewsSTYG

Bakinson on 17:12 - May 20 by mylittletown

Almost unlimited financial backing?

Let's get Ronaldo then. KMcK will know him, he wants out of ManU, money won't won't be an object, because we are so rich.

Don’t be stupid. For this level it is.

We can probably sign anybody that would be willing to come for a top League One / lower Championship wage.

Anybody demanding more than that will likely be out of our reach in that they won’t sign here.

So yes. For this level we will have the backing to probably get anyone who’d be willing to fit within a very high wage structure for League One.
Login to get fewer ads

Bakinson on 18:27 - May 20 with 702 viewsRimsy

Get him for sure. He was improving all the time and was a near permanent fixture of the midfield. If he's available for minimal fee, why not. After all, we all know the midfield were not the problem last season (not that it can't be improved), the problem was the(lack of) goal scorers.

BlueBlood

Bakinson on 18:34 - May 20 with 686 viewsDJR

Bakinson on 18:15 - May 20 by STYG

We can probably sign anybody that would be willing to come for a top League One / lower Championship wage.

Anybody demanding more than that will likely be out of our reach in that they won’t sign here.

So yes. For this level we will have the backing to probably get anyone who’d be willing to fit within a very high wage structure for League One.

We may have the money, but I imagine that very few settled and accomplished Championship players would want to drop a division. I suppose they could be sold a vision, but that was the case last year, and look where we ended up. Indeed, I think most of the players we bought last year who had played at a higher level had reached a turning point in their career. Take Morsy as an example, who I don't think really wanted to come here. Having said that a few unsettled players of Morsy's ability would not go amiss, and I would like to think that McKenna will be a good judge of such players.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 18:38]
Bakinson on 18:57 - May 20 with 660 viewsmylittletown

Bakinson on 18:15 - May 20 by STYG

So we haven't got almost unlimited funds then?
Just well off by L1 standards.
Bakinson on 19:05 - May 20 with 651 viewsFrimleyBlue

Difficult one.

Quite a tidy player. But not sure if he really owns a position.
He goes through games good enough without excelling. Financially I'd rather use the funds on a stand out partner to Morsy, but then he is still relatively young so could become a very handy player.

Midfield is absolutely key next season. It needs to protect that backline but we also need double figures in goals from it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

Bakinson on 19:31 - May 20 with 628 viewsSTYG

Bakinson on 18:34 - May 20 by DJR

We may have the money, but I imagine that very few settled and accomplished Championship players would want to drop a division. I suppose they could be sold a vision, but that was the case last year, and look where we ended up. Indeed, I think most of the players we bought last year who had played at a higher level had reached a turning point in their career. Take Morsy as an example, who I don't think really wanted to come here. Having said that a few unsettled players of Morsy's ability would not go amiss, and I would like to think that McKenna will be a good judge of such players.
[Post edited 20 May 2022 18:38]

What about Walton. Celina. Chaplin. Edmundson. Aluko.

In addition to Morsy.

Plenty of types of players came here when the ‘project’ was a lot more about vision and less about actual roots.
Bakinson on 23:39 - May 20 with 575 viewsBigCommon

I like him... Took him a little while to settle imo.. Don't forget he played with quite a few MF partners in his first few games, Which wouldn't have helped.... He's not quite matured enough to be a midfield boss, and needs a Morsy alongside him, atm, imo.... But I thought, the more he settled into the squad and playing patterns, the more confident he was getting, and showing signs of improvement.. My confidence in him was growing as the games ticked off.. I wouldn't mind if we signed him. There's room for improvement, for sure. But having seen signs of improvement in his game, during his short spell here. Then , you'd have to say, that the environment here, works for him. So , imo, there's every chance that he could carry on improving and reach his full potential under KM... How far that potential takes him, is hard to say atm.. But he's got a few Championship games under his belt already. And I think he'd certainly be ok for us in L1 and highly likely, with further improvement, in The Championship, too, should we get there in the near future.....
Bakinson on 00:23 - May 21 with 561 viewsChurchman

Bakinson on 16:19 - May 20 by itfcjoe

Just because he is free to leave doesn't mean he is a free transfer, still has a year left on deal

If they charge a fee they could easily wind up paying salary for a year on a player they don’t want, or partial salary on a loan. There’s no point in it.

I suspect if KM wants him, he will come here on a free.
Bakinson on 00:53 - May 21 with 554 viewsSwansea_Blue

Bakinson on 17:59 - May 20 by BlueBadger

Nearly 50% of them?

Best win %age of any manager since Mick O’Brien in 1936/7 and people think we’re not winning enough matches. It’s a funny old world.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024