Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges 08:41 - Jun 10 with 2200 viewsclive_baker

Anyone know anything about them? My criteria is as follows:

Fast growing - I don't want to be waiting until we're in the Champions league until it's a decent size. 2027 is a long way away.

Look: Don't really mind but certainly evergreen

Size: Not too thick (maybe deep is a more appropriate word) - Don't want it to gobble up too much garden. Also wants to be circa 6ft tall.

Also, if I plant one on a boundary as an alternative to a fence, do I need permission from whoever owns the land the other side, as presumably they'll need to cut it from their side or I'll be trespassing. I can do my side and the top innit.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 08:57 - Jun 10 with 2139 viewsBanksterDebtSlave

Privet, laurel or elaeagnus.

"They break our legs and tell us to be grateful when they offer us crutches."
Poll: If he goes will he still be Super?

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:07 - Jun 10 with 2116 viewsexeterblue10

Not a boring post as far as I’m concerned but maybe that says a lot about me and what I do professionally! You’ve got loads of choices but a few questions - what is your soil like (clay/sandy?), are you near the sea? If your soil is badly draining you might want to look at hornbeam (not evergreen but retains golden brown leaves in winter which looks great), or if it’s drier then beech, which looks very similar. Avoid yew and box because they’re slow growing. Portuguese laurel, griselinia and photinia (red robin) would all be a good bet as they tolerate a wide range of soils and grow relatively quickly (all are evergreen but photinia’s new growth is bright red which might work a treat or might look naff depending on its context). If you wanted a dense hedge you’d plant an offset double row but if you want to take up as little space as possible plant a single row, usually about 50cm apart depending on what species you go for. You don’t have to let your neighbours know - and you’re right anything over growing is technically trespass and by the strict letter of tort they have a right to cut their side as long as they return the bits they’ve cut off to you as the hedge clippings are your property! I’d just mention it to them out of courtesy. Hope that helps?
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 9:08]
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:10 - Jun 10 with 2101 viewsGlevum

Leyland cypress is the obvious one, gets a bad rep in the press but as long as you prune it regularly to maintain the shape you want, it's fine.

For a bit more interest and better for the bugs, birds and beasties try beech, hornbeam or field maple. You can buy whips (saplings to joe public) fairly cheap. If you want a single row hedge plant them about 30cms apart. A thicker hedge plant 2 rows, 30cms between rows and stagger the planting. mulch with woodchip to keep weeds down and water well if no rain for 10 days or so. Prune branches in the winter.

If you're flushed with cash you can buy "instant hedges". Google it, they come as the name suggests all ready at your chosen height.

You don't need permission from the adjoining landowner, they can prune it themselves on their side, you don't have to. Unless you are feeling neighbourly. I'd advise not planting right on the boundary, plant a wee bit into your property.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 9:10]
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:10 - Jun 10 with 2098 viewsBloomBlue

Griselinia

No you don't require permission to use it as a fence, neighbour can cut their side of the hedge but they should throw them back into your garden as the hedge is your property.

There is a law (I think) on the height, ie if you plant a load of certain types of trees/conifers and they grow to 30 feet and cut out the neighbours light there is something in law about that.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:11 - Jun 10 with 2093 viewsbluenorth

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 08:57 - Jun 10 by BanksterDebtSlave

Privet, laurel or elaeagnus.

Also depends on whether you want something you can cut quite tightly for a formal look, or if you want it to be looser and more informal.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:11 - Jun 10 with 2095 viewsCoastalblue

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:07 - Jun 10 by exeterblue10

Not a boring post as far as I’m concerned but maybe that says a lot about me and what I do professionally! You’ve got loads of choices but a few questions - what is your soil like (clay/sandy?), are you near the sea? If your soil is badly draining you might want to look at hornbeam (not evergreen but retains golden brown leaves in winter which looks great), or if it’s drier then beech, which looks very similar. Avoid yew and box because they’re slow growing. Portuguese laurel, griselinia and photinia (red robin) would all be a good bet as they tolerate a wide range of soils and grow relatively quickly (all are evergreen but photinia’s new growth is bright red which might work a treat or might look naff depending on its context). If you wanted a dense hedge you’d plant an offset double row but if you want to take up as little space as possible plant a single row, usually about 50cm apart depending on what species you go for. You don’t have to let your neighbours know - and you’re right anything over growing is technically trespass and by the strict letter of tort they have a right to cut their side as long as they return the bits they’ve cut off to you as the hedge clippings are your property! I’d just mention it to them out of courtesy. Hope that helps?

This is what I love about TWTD, no matter what the question in amongst all the flotsam there will be a genuine and qualified piece of advice.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:17 - Jun 10 with 2075 viewsGlevum

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:10 - Jun 10 by BloomBlue

Griselinia

No you don't require permission to use it as a fence, neighbour can cut their side of the hedge but they should throw them back into your garden as the hedge is your property.

There is a law (I think) on the height, ie if you plant a load of certain types of trees/conifers and they grow to 30 feet and cut out the neighbours light there is something in law about that.

The law you mention is the so called high hedges act. Awful piece of legislation. You'll see it banded about that all conifer hedges are not allowed to grow above 2m. This is incorrect. There is no law stating that trees and hedges are only allowed to grow to a certain height. The high hedges act can be used by council's in certain limited circumstances to order a conifer hedge owner to reduce their hedge to a certain height depending upon lots of criteria.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:20 - Jun 10 with 2055 viewsclive_baker

Thanks, there's some great advice here. I didn't realise how many options there are, I do like the look of a Laurel or Beech.

The ready grown hedges are pricey, definitely a good option for some but I'm looking at planting around a corner, probably 20m in total so I imagine I'll need to get 50 odd potted ones and watch them grow :) going to measure and clear the area at the weekend.

Thanks all.

Login to get fewer ads

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:25 - Jun 10 with 2034 viewsexeterblue10

I should have said that if space is at a premium the other option might be a fence with climbers? That way you wouldn’t pass on a maintenance issue to your neighbours. If you went that way you’d need to think about how much sun the climbers would get. Star jasmine for example is a real corker and smells beautiful but wouldn’t work on a north facing boundary. Good shouts from other posters too.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:28 - Jun 10 with 2019 viewsGlevum

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:20 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

Thanks, there's some great advice here. I didn't realise how many options there are, I do like the look of a Laurel or Beech.

The ready grown hedges are pricey, definitely a good option for some but I'm looking at planting around a corner, probably 20m in total so I imagine I'll need to get 50 odd potted ones and watch them grow :) going to measure and clear the area at the weekend.

Thanks all.

If you going for beech and can wait until winter you should be able buy bare rooted whips from a local tree nursery for a few pounds each. Buying and planting potted ones now from a garden centre will be much, much more. Good luck.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:30 - Jun 10 with 2009 viewsclive_baker

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:25 - Jun 10 by exeterblue10

I should have said that if space is at a premium the other option might be a fence with climbers? That way you wouldn’t pass on a maintenance issue to your neighbours. If you went that way you’d need to think about how much sun the climbers would get. Star jasmine for example is a real corker and smells beautiful but wouldn’t work on a north facing boundary. Good shouts from other posters too.

That was actually my initial preference, but my neighbour objected and some jobsworths at the heritage office rejected my application. I wasn't asking for Fort Knox, just a fence to keep my kids and dog safe to be honest, but it's all a bit sticky as said neighbour is a bell end. Apprantly he had his eyes on my house but I bought it before it hit the market and he's still crying about it.

Be interesting to see how he prefers a 10 ft conifer rather than the nice fence I was proposing.

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:42 - Jun 10 with 1947 viewsexeterblue10

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:30 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

That was actually my initial preference, but my neighbour objected and some jobsworths at the heritage office rejected my application. I wasn't asking for Fort Knox, just a fence to keep my kids and dog safe to be honest, but it's all a bit sticky as said neighbour is a bell end. Apprantly he had his eyes on my house but I bought it before it hit the market and he's still crying about it.

Be interesting to see how he prefers a 10 ft conifer rather than the nice fence I was proposing.

I get you. In that case go for Rubus cockburnianus. Not only will it make a horrific hedge for your neighbour but also send a nice message to them that they are both a cock and an anus. Good luck!
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 10:07]
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 10:14 - Jun 10 with 1874 viewssolemio

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:17 - Jun 10 by Glevum

The law you mention is the so called high hedges act. Awful piece of legislation. You'll see it banded about that all conifer hedges are not allowed to grow above 2m. This is incorrect. There is no law stating that trees and hedges are only allowed to grow to a certain height. The high hedges act can be used by council's in certain limited circumstances to order a conifer hedge owner to reduce their hedge to a certain height depending upon lots of criteria.

I've no doubt you're correct, but I think that considering the long-term effect on your neighbours is a good thing!

I'm not for a moment suggesting that you wouldn't.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 10:18 - Jun 10 with 1871 viewsitfcjoe

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:20 - Jun 10 by clive_baker

Thanks all.

Go Laurel, a lot of the box hedgy stuff are getting ruined by those dodgy Asian caterpillars that are unstoppable. Laurel's grow quick so can get some cheap ones in and don't take any real looking after
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 10:18]

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 10:23 - Jun 10 with 1842 viewsEssexBloo

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 10:18 - Jun 10 by itfcjoe

Go Laurel, a lot of the box hedgy stuff are getting ruined by those dodgy Asian caterpillars that are unstoppable. Laurel's grow quick so can get some cheap ones in and don't take any real looking after
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 10:18]

My box hedge got hit by the caterpillars last summer. A quick spray of bug clear got rid and with the new growth this spring they are doing very well indeed.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 10:27 - Jun 10 with 1835 viewsclive_baker

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:07 - Jun 10 by exeterblue10

FWIW personally I find it far from boring either, just thought my personal hedge request might not be everyone's cup of tea haha.

One particular benefit that came out of being locked down for me was enjoying my garden, especially as we seemed to have lovely weather in Spring 2020. I spent hours and hours on it in my old house and really enjoyed the process of bringing it round and maintaining it. I wouldn't say it was a shoestring budget but for what was relatively speaking not huge amounts as I did it all myself, it was transformational.

Moved from there though to my new place and starting again now, quite looking forward to getting stuck in again. Just took delivery of a few bits actually that I'm excited to put to use this weekend.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 10:31]

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 11:18 - Jun 10 with 1757 viewsLeaky

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:17 - Jun 10 by Glevum

I have a neighbour who's hedge is on their side of our boundary. Their property is owned by social housing therefore tenants change periodically. The latest tenant is a single lady who doesn't trim the hedge. If I trim it for her can then be held responsible for its upkeep, I trim myside. Previous tenants have trimmed both sides.
Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 11:27 - Jun 10 with 1742 viewsvestanpance

This is gold. Up there with the soup years. I don’t have much to add unfortunately, we barely separate our gardens here but I’ve been thinking about Karo to keep the dog out of next door’s pool, along the 20 metres where their garden adjoins the orchard.

Blog: Saturday is Non-League Day

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 12:08 - Jun 10 with 1692 viewsRyorry

Thanks all.

Fwiw, I took 5 twigs that my neighbour had pruned off his Scarlet Willow in 2016, stuck them into the ground, 4 died (probably lack of water in summer 2018 drought) but one survived, and in 6 years has grown into a 20 foot tree with an approx 3 foot trunk circumference! so if the ground where you want to plant is wet ...

They look like this -

https://www.etsy.com/ie/listing/647691297/4-flame-willow-tree-cuttings-vibrant

PS just remembered you wanted evergreen, apols. But the thick stems of this do provide some screening from about 3 feet up, even in winter.
[Post edited 10 Jun 2022 14:57]

Poll: Time of the annunciation

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 13:07 - Jun 10 with 1636 viewsElephantintheRoom

Thanks all.

Laurel sounds your best option. If you take cuttings it’s very cheap too. One thing to bear in mind is that quick growing hedges take a lot of looking after - a number of regular hair cuts is better than occasional trims. 6 feet is a short hedge. You can also lose a lot of your garden to the width of the hedge - you’ll need to cut back the width quite aggressively. Depending on a neighbour to trim a hedge is not a good idea. In France you’re not allowed to plant a hedge that will cross a boundary so you can only plant 2m from the boundary which seems quite sensible.

Rose might suit your purpose too. Have a quick Google of rose hedging

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 13:18 - Jun 10 with 1613 viewsRyorry

Had another thought too - Berberis - particularly if you want to deter snoopers & intruders, as they're very thorny! Bonus of prunings being a brilliant slug deterrant laid round & between young plants.

There are numerous varieties, including evergreen

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/berberis

My fav is the Berberis linearifolia 'Orange King'. Can be pricey but many people have them, so cuttings may be available from your neighbours -

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 13:31 - Jun 10 with 1590 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 13:18 - Jun 10 by Ryorry

Had another thought too - Berberis - particularly if you want to deter snoopers & intruders, as they're very thorny! Bonus of prunings being a brilliant slug deterrant laid round & between young plants.

There are numerous varieties, including evergreen

https://www.rhs.org.uk/plants/berberis

My fav is the Berberis linearifolia 'Orange King'. Can be pricey but many people have them, so cuttings may be available from your neighbours -

Horrible things to cut though have one advantage of keeping unwanted visitors out

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 14:56 - Jun 10 with 1510 viewsRyorry

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 13:31 - Jun 10 by StochesStotasBlewe

Horrible things to cut though have one advantage of keeping unwanted visitors out

I still have 3 buried thorn splinters 10 days after pruning mine! (unable to wear gloves on one hand due to unrelated pre-existing gash).

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 14:58 - Jun 10 with 1506 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 14:56 - Jun 10 by Ryorry

I still have 3 buried thorn splinters 10 days after pruning mine! (unable to wear gloves on one hand due to unrelated pre-existing gash).

Ouch. I visibly wilt when asked to prune those beggars. See also blackthorn.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 15:04 - Jun 10 with 1500 viewsRyorry

Potentially the worlds most boring post...hedges on 09:28 - Jun 10 by Glevum

If you going for beech and can wait until winter you should be able buy bare rooted whips from a local tree nursery for a few pounds each. Buying and planting potted ones now from a garden centre will be much, much more. Good luck.

Just to add for CliveB that beech, being very shallow-rooted, needs watering (& frost protection in harsh areas in their early years) - the sapling I bought & planted in 2016 died in winter 20-21 due to a couple of months of semi-permanent hard/frosty ground - and had needed frequent watering in dry spells to keep it going till then.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024