Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... 15:13 - Aug 16 with 974 viewsunstableblue

... if you're serious about automatic promotion, its a must win game, its 3 points in the bag for the season ahead. Its as simple as that.

Burton are in a poor state, low confidence in players and fans, dissent about the manager, and with injuries.

We've got a fully fit and far superior squad, that is fit bar one player, and we've sold out our away end.

It's a real test of where we are. Core of the team has been together for a long time now, manager has had time to get his plans and system into the player.

A win tonight and we are rocking and we are really throwing off the issues of last season. And i'd start to get bullish - even with expected wins from Derby, Bolton, and Pompey.

A loss and we hope its a one off blip and we go and take 6 points from Shrews and Barnsley.... but tonight feels the right time to lay down a marker!

Who's with me!!??

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:16 - Aug 16 with 938 viewsSheffordBlue

Will be good to get the 3 wins in a row that we miserably failed to do last season as well. Another mental block that the team can break through tonight.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:27 - Aug 16 with 885 viewsDarth_Koont

Let's take each game as it comes.

We've got 43 of them to go. And probably at least another 10 to know how we and the division are really looking.

The good news seems to be that we've got a better balance as a team now. A better-looking left side already, but also we both attack and defend from front to back and as one unit. With more confidence in the setup and the overall approach, hopefully the players can just keep working for each other and trusting the process now. And fingers crossed we get the results we deserve.

Pronouns: He/Him

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:27 - Aug 16 with 880 viewsChrisd

Most certainly will. This is the sort of game we’d slip up on over the last 3 seasons and this is what intrigues me the most. Their style of play is far more direct than ours and they will put us under pressure from set pieces and throw ins. Hoping that we stand tall and ride it out, while playing our brand of football to nullify them. An interesting night ahead.

Poll: Where are we going to finish?

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:42 - Aug 16 with 826 viewsVic

I get your drift and agree that this is a game which it would be really good to win. It will set us up nicely, build confidence (in us as well as the players), and hopefully help build momentum as we get into the season.

But no way is it a 'must win' game!

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:45 - Aug 16 with 808 viewsMetal_Hacker

Leaving Sheffield now for Burton and I'm totally with ya

3-0 with Freddie getting his first

COYB - safe travels !!!

Poll: If it were one or the other

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:50 - Aug 16 with 761 viewsCoastalblue

Not sure it goes down as a must win game, but agree with the sentiment, win tonight and we could then really start to roll as opposed to the stuttering we've been used to.

You do get the sense that if we go on a run now it's going to be as a result of a settled side playing to a clear set of instructions instead of a freak run of converting chances as we've seen in the past. If we can win 3 or 4 on the bounce and get our tails up I think this squad, playing this way could start to look imperious. Keep getting the odd flat performance or result though and it might just mean more of what we're used to.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Yup, that's a key point... Wigan and Rotherham got 3 wins in succession.... on 15:50 - Aug 16 with 758 viewsunstableblue

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:16 - Aug 16 by SheffordBlue

Will be good to get the 3 wins in a row that we miserably failed to do last season as well. Another mental block that the team can break through tonight.

... early last season

And a win tonight gives us the confidence to go on a true run of form.

Rotherham ended up with 2 blocks of 3 successive wins, and one block of 6!
Wigan a block of 5 and a block of 4

Yup, that's a key point... Wigan and Rotherham got 3 wins in succession.... on 15:57 - Aug 16 with 727 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

Yup, that's a key point... Wigan and Rotherham got 3 wins in succession.... on 15:50 - Aug 16 by unstableblue

... early last season

And a win tonight gives us the confidence to go on a true run of form.

Rotherham ended up with 2 blocks of 3 successive wins, and one block of 6!
Wigan a block of 5 and a block of 4

We couldn't really have asked for a softer set of games in August. Bolton was the toughest, but MK are a shadow of last season. There's an opportunity to get 9 points from the next 3 games. What a start that would be, we'd take some catching.

Poll: would you rather

Login to get fewer ads

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 16:01 - Aug 16 with 708 viewsxrayspecs

Not a must win game. I suspect Burton will be better than some folk expect. They were winning comfortably at Accrington, which not many teams do, until the final few mins.

We agree it is a benchmark for how we are progressing. Improving on the one point we got from Burton and Shrewsbury away last season is the goal. If you win your home games and draw away matches then you get your 2 point average and 92 points for the season. We are currently on track with seven from three. A couple of away points would keep us on track. I would though want us to get at least three across both games.
Yup Bolton, FGR and MK have tried to match our passing... on 16:18 - Aug 16 with 634 viewsunstableblue

Real test of the team, the manager and the project tonight... on 15:27 - Aug 16 by Chrisd

Most certainly will. This is the sort of game we’d slip up on over the last 3 seasons and this is what intrigues me the most. Their style of play is far more direct than ours and they will put us under pressure from set pieces and throw ins. Hoping that we stand tall and ride it out, while playing our brand of football to nullify them. An interesting night ahead.

... to some extent

But Burton are different gravy, and that's why its such a key game... can this season mean points from weaker, from more robust sides.

I'm feeling confident, but this is Ipswich

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024