Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most disappointing ITFC signings? 20:05 - Aug 24 with 7641 viewsBlueandTruesince82

It has been suggested to me that judging Harper as once such example is heavy but I maintain what we got vs what we thought we were getting makes it an entirely justified statement

I would include on my list

Lee Martin
Paul Taylor
Nigel Reo Coker
Sam Parkin
Adrian Paz

Any other contenders for Towns most disappointing (not worst) signing?
[Post edited 24 Aug 2022 20:06]

Poll: Will Phil ever confirm we are actually close on a signing ever again

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:00 - Aug 26 with 337 viewsFifeITFC

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 18:53 - Aug 25 by Churchman

I saw all the home games that season including Derby and Sunderland. Finidi was an excellent player. The problem was he was too old. I’ve no idea how old he was in reality, but late 30s maybe? Either way, week in week out wasn’t on and rarely was 90 minutes. He just wasn’t what we needed, despite his extraordinary talent.

Sereni? He was a decent keeper but all wrong for us. I seem to remember Poom was a possibility and he’d have been a good option. Either way, on these transfers GB got it wrong. Such a shame Wright couldn’t have been patient for another season. We’d have survived and I suspect he’d have done better with his playing career than shining his rear end for the rest of it.

Was Poom realistically available at that time? I didn't think he was. I think he was cemented first teamer at the time elsewhere. Maybe Sereni was a panic last minute buy by Burley after realising that Marshall was either carrying an injury going into the season and/or wasn't as good as originally thought.

Personally, as much as I liked Sereni and Finidi, I think they massively disrupted the influence and team spirit of a fairly level and equally paid squad with 2 big name 'Prima Donnas' on presumably bigger wages.

In hindsight, we had just finished 5th in the Premier League so the club did what you might expect/hope by signing some bigger name players to build on that 2000/01 season, but it majorly back-fired and we were found out from all corners.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:39 - Aug 26 with 309 viewsstopmoaning

Mentioning Scotland seems strange?!

Cameron Stewart seems an obvious answer.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:00 - Aug 26 with 290 viewsitfc_bucks

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 08:19 - Aug 26 by MJallday

Didn’t he turn out to be a bit of a rapist*

*allegedly and according to Wikipedia

He was certainly accused of some sex offences. Pretty sure he was convicted, wasn't he?
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:00 - Aug 26 with 289 viewsChurchman

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 10:00 - Aug 26 by FifeITFC

Was Poom realistically available at that time? I didn't think he was. I think he was cemented first teamer at the time elsewhere. Maybe Sereni was a panic last minute buy by Burley after realising that Marshall was either carrying an injury going into the season and/or wasn't as good as originally thought.

Personally, as much as I liked Sereni and Finidi, I think they massively disrupted the influence and team spirit of a fairly level and equally paid squad with 2 big name 'Prima Donnas' on presumably bigger wages.

In hindsight, we had just finished 5th in the Premier League so the club did what you might expect/hope by signing some bigger name players to build on that 2000/01 season, but it majorly back-fired and we were found out from all corners.

I doubt Poom was available, but I do remember his name being circulated at the time.

In hindsight, I could see what GB was trying to do and he’s expressed it in interviews. He’s the first to admit he got it wrong. George was great at bringing in players who had something to prove and developing them. People with hunger and desire. People like Holland, David Johnson, Clapham. Even Jermaine Wright who used to drive me nuts with his sideways passing was made a better player by GB and his staff.

You were never going to develop an ancient player like Finidi or a character like Sereni let alone add to the outstanding team spirit the players had developed over a number of years.
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:06 - Aug 26 with 288 viewsDyland

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 03:59 - Aug 26 by Wickwar_Blue

I didn’t mean to down vote this and now can’t work out how to reverse it. I’m not some niche Graham Harbey fan…. I remember him, he was bloody awful!

"Niche Graham Harbey fan."

Would make a good (random) song, or ridiculous indy film.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:13 - Aug 26 with 283 viewsSkip_Intro

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:00 - Aug 26 by itfc_bucks

He was certainly accused of some sex offences. Pretty sure he was convicted, wasn't he?

he was convicted but won an appeal and the charges were later dismissed by the court - some suggestions that his wife fabricated the claims in a very bitter divorce I believe...
Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:36 - Aug 26 with 268 viewsMJallday

Most disappointing ITFC signings? on 11:13 - Aug 26 by Skip_Intro

he was convicted but won an appeal and the charges were later dismissed by the court - some suggestions that his wife fabricated the claims in a very bitter divorce I believe...

Irrespective of his private life, I remember being very excited at what was then a record signing for us and the prospect of a goalkeeper that could make the Italy squad

Turned out he couldn’t catch coronavirus let alone a ball

Stilton eating Participant - 1977 to Present Day
Poll: Will you be renewing if you are an existing ST Holder - given todays news?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024