Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Most winning goals scored 13:42 - Jan 4 with 3334 viewsWacko

A lot of people have been saying “but we’re the top scorers in the league” in discussing whether we need a striker, but the more important stat is what percentage of our goals have been winning goals. We have the worst percentage in the top six - with 29%. Everyone else is over 30% (with Plymouth nearly 37%). I guess this just confirms what most of us knew already, that we’re not ruthless enough

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

Most winning goals scored on 13:45 - Jan 4 with 2398 viewsitfcjoe

What does this stat even mean

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Most winning goals scored on 13:47 - Jan 4 with 2373 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 13:45 - Jan 4 by itfcjoe

That it’s easier to score a third goal against Oxford than a second against Lincoln

Most winning goals scored on 13:49 - Jan 4 with 2332 viewsAsa

I think it means that if Plymouth win 1-0 twice and we win 5-0 twice to start the season that they are five times better than us at scoring a winning goal with 100% to our 20%!

It's a real shame for them that they'd be below us in the table and 8 goals worse off!
Most winning goals scored on 13:50 - Jan 4 with 2303 viewsGuthrum

What exactly is a "winning goal", tho? Is it simply the last one scored in a victory, or the first one to progress from a level scoreline?

It might suggest we're winning by bigger margins than our rivals, or that we are more efficient.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Most winning goals scored on 13:51 - Jan 4 with 2279 viewsCokeIsKey

Guessing it means that we’re scoring a lot of our goals against lesser teams to secure 2 or 3 goal leads but not enough of our goals have been used to win the tighter games that our rivals have been able to win.

So probably means we’re good at playing against open teams with space in behind but can’t break down teams that sit back - as we know.

Poll: Should Lambert continue as the Ipswich Town manager?

Most winning goals scored on 13:56 - Jan 4 with 2212 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 13:50 - Jan 4 by Guthrum

What exactly is a "winning goal", tho? Is it simply the last one scored in a victory, or the first one to progress from a level scoreline?

It might suggest we're winning by bigger margins than our rivals, or that we are more efficient.

Well it varies. It’s the goal that changes a draw to a win. Like I say below, it implies we are far better at scoring when other teams have “given up” or can no longer park the bus than when it really natters

Most winning goals scored on 13:58 - Jan 4 with 2188 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 13:51 - Jan 4 by CokeIsKey

Guessing it means that we’re scoring a lot of our goals against lesser teams to secure 2 or 3 goal leads but not enough of our goals have been used to win the tighter games that our rivals have been able to win.

So probably means we’re good at playing against open teams with space in behind but can’t break down teams that sit back - as we know.

Yeah exactly - it confirms what we know. And also negates the argument that we don’t need a better striker because we already score loads. Deeper down I think it puts a question on how our current strikers handle pressure

Most winning goals scored on 13:58 - Jan 4 with 2188 viewsBigCommon

So when we win 3-0. How many of those 3 are winning goals?
Weird stat.. But agree, we could be more ruthless when you convert our possession/shots to goals scored..
Login to get fewer ads

Most winning goals scored on 14:00 - Jan 4 with 2168 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 13:58 - Jan 4 by BigCommon

So when we win 3-0. How many of those 3 are winning goals?
Weird stat.. But agree, we could be more ruthless when you convert our possession/shots to goals scored..

One goal. I simply divided number of wins by goals scored

Most winning goals scored on 14:03 - Jan 4 with 2127 viewsSheffordBlue

Isn't this partly impacted by the fact that we've only been behind 7 times in the whole season. Plymouth and Wednesday have come from behind to win more often but only because they've been behind more than we have.

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Most winning goals scored on 14:08 - Jan 4 with 2085 viewsGuthrum

Most winning goals scored on 13:56 - Jan 4 by Wacko

Well it varies. It’s the goal that changes a draw to a win. Like I say below, it implies we are far better at scoring when other teams have “given up” or can no longer park the bus than when it really natters

However, all games start as a draw, so every win has a "winning goal". If we're winning by larger margins than our rivals (i.e. more "spare" goals), then surely that's good thing?

Or do you mean winning after the opposition (or ourselves) have equalised?

Most winning goals scored on 14:10 - Jan 4 with 2063 viewsitfcjoe

Most winning goals scored on 13:56 - Jan 4 by Wacko

So if we go 2-0 up and then win 2-1 we don't score any winning goals?

We've barely been behind this season, we've scored first goal in majority of games so much less opportunities to score a 'winning goal'.

Most winning goals scored on 14:11 - Jan 4 with 2065 viewsSaleAway

it basically means we either win easily, lose, or draw.... we don't sneak a lot of wins by a single goal... i.e we're scoring a lot of goals which aren't gaining us points.... just improving goal difference

I think this is why people think that Plymouth might drop off, they've won 9 games by 1 goal... we've won 5.

a couple of " winnning" goals in that context would make a difference.

however.... we have also drawn 5 matches and lost 1 from when we were in front, so you could easily argue that our propensity for throwing away a winning position is more a defensive problem, than a lack of goals.

As most people have already said. We don't do a lot wrong, hence we're at the right end of the table, however, we have the potential to be a lot better by making small improvements at both ends. Cut out the cheap goals conceded, and score a couple more goals at crucial times, and we'll fly.

Poll: Which is less impressive?
Blog: Phoenix From the Flames

Most winning goals scored on 14:14 - Jan 4 with 2004 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 14:10 - Jan 4 by itfcjoe

So if we go 2-0 up and then win 2-1 we don't score any winning goals?

We've barely been behind this season, we've scored first goal in majority of games so much less opportunities to score a 'winning goal'.

No

1 win = 1 winning goal

Most winning goals scored on 14:15 - Jan 4 with 1991 viewsitfcjoe

Most winning goals scored on 14:11 - Jan 4 by SaleAway

it basically means we either win easily, lose, or draw.... we don't sneak a lot of wins by a single goal... i.e we're scoring a lot of goals which aren't gaining us points.... just improving goal difference

I think this is why people think that Plymouth might drop off, they've won 9 games by 1 goal... we've won 5.

a couple of " winnning" goals in that context would make a difference.

however.... we have also drawn 5 matches and lost 1 from when we were in front, so you could easily argue that our propensity for throwing away a winning position is more a defensive problem, than a lack of goals.

As most people have already said. We don't do a lot wrong, hence we're at the right end of the table, however, we have the potential to be a lot better by making small improvements at both ends. Cut out the cheap goals conceded, and score a couple more goals at crucial times, and we'll fly.

I don't disagree with the last paragraph, but that's surely the same for any team in the league? Concede a few less and score a few more makes a massive different to anyone

Most winning goals scored on 14:15 - Jan 4 with 2003 viewsPhilTWTD

Most winning goals scored on 13:47 - Jan 4 by Wacko

That it’s easier to score a third goal against Oxford than a second against Lincoln

I've funnily enough just been writing something similar for my Gazette column without citing your stat. We're the top scorers in the division but that is skewed a bit by often winning fairly big when we win, such as the Oxford, MK Dons, Cambridge and Shrewsbury games. We've won 1-0 twice in the league all season. I'd imagine it's rare to win 3-0 more regularly than 1-0 in a season unless you're Manchester City or similar.

This post has been edited by an administrator
Most winning goals scored on 14:17 - Jan 4 with 1951 viewsGuthrum

Most winning goals scored on 14:00 - Jan 4 by Wacko

One goal. I simply divided number of wins by goals scored

Derby, Bolton and Barnsley have scored a lot fewer goals than the top three (12 - 15), so that's going to skew the statistic, even tho they have slightly fewer wins (3 - 6) overall.

Most winning goals scored on 14:17 - Jan 4 with 1947 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 14:08 - Jan 4 by Guthrum

However, all games start as a draw, so every win has a "winning goal". If we're winning by larger margins than our rivals (i.e. more "spare" goals), then surely that's good thing?

Or do you mean winning after the opposition (or ourselves) have equalised?

Exactly, every win has a winning goal. And of course it's great score loads of goals, I'm not saying it isn't. Just that it implies we are less likely to score under pressure*

*pressure that comes about from dealing with teams who park the bus and who we're expected to beat

Like I say in the OP, it's what we already know. My main motivation was to discredit the "we've scored the most goals in the league" boast

Most winning goals scored on 14:24 - Jan 4 with 1816 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 14:17 - Jan 4 by Guthrum

Derby, Bolton and Barnsley have scored a lot fewer goals than the top three (12 - 15), so that's going to skew the statistic, even tho they have slightly fewer wins (3 - 6) overall.

It doesn't skew anything - it's a percentage.

Derby have scored 14 fewer goals than us yet have won only 3 fewer games than us. So their conversion rate (33%) of goals to wins is a lot better than ours. What does skew things are draws, which I admit I haven't taken into account, but essentially what I'm saying is that we've scored 11 more goals than Derby with little to show for it
[Post edited 4 Jan 2023 14:24]

Most winning goals scored on 14:25 - Jan 4 with 1789 viewsSheffordBlue

Most winning goals scored on 14:17 - Jan 4 by Wacko

Exactly, every win has a winning goal. And of course it's great score loads of goals, I'm not saying it isn't. Just that it implies we are less likely to score under pressure*

*pressure that comes about from dealing with teams who park the bus and who we're expected to beat

Like I say in the OP, it's what we already know. My main motivation was to discredit the "we've scored the most goals in the league" boast

I make it:

Wins: 1 goal - 2. 2 goals - 7. 3 goals - 5
Draws: 1 goal - 4. 2 goals - 3. 4 goals - 1
Losses - 0 goals - 2. 1 goal - 1.

Our style of play with the high press makes us more likely to go on and score more when a team has to come from behind as they leave the space for us to play into. If we've 'wasted' goals it would be in the 5 three goal victories

Poll: How many points do you think you'll need to get a ticket for Norwich?

Most winning goals scored on 14:31 - Jan 4 with 1748 viewsgringoblue

Most winning goals scored on 14:24 - Jan 4 by Wacko

It doesn't skew anything - it's a percentage.

Derby have scored 14 fewer goals than us yet have won only 3 fewer games than us. So their conversion rate (33%) of goals to wins is a lot better than ours. What does skew things are draws, which I admit I haven't taken into account, but essentially what I'm saying is that we've scored 11 more goals than Derby with little to show for it
[Post edited 4 Jan 2023 14:24]

Little to show for it... we have 9 more points!
Most winning goals scored on 14:32 - Jan 4 with 1737 viewsWacko

Most winning goals scored on 14:25 - Jan 4 by SheffordBlue

I make it:

Wins: 1 goal - 2. 2 goals - 7. 3 goals - 5
Draws: 1 goal - 4. 2 goals - 3. 4 goals - 1
Losses - 0 goals - 2. 1 goal - 1.

Our style of play with the high press makes us more likely to go on and score more when a team has to come from behind as they leave the space for us to play into. If we've 'wasted' goals it would be in the 5 three goal victories

Interesting thanks. I forgot about Charlton. That's obviously a freak result that skews against us.

But yeah I'm not really focussed on the wasted goals, it's more the other side of the coin and whether the pressure is getting to us in tight games. Lincoln was a classic example, a man down and against our press yet they saw it out fairly comfortably

Most winning goals scored on 14:33 - Jan 4 with 1731 viewsGuthrum

Most winning goals scored on 14:17 - Jan 4 by Wacko

I don't think your main point is untrue, that we sometimes find it difficult to break down teams who go for all-out defence.

However, your stat doesn't actually demonstrate that, simply that we achieve fewer wins per goal than our rivals. Which is not surprising, given we've scored 3 or more goals in 28% of our matches and 2 goals in a further 36%. Plymouth and Wednesday are pretty similar, (but have one or two more wins) the other three are way off.

Most winning goals scored on 14:39 - Jan 4 with 1668 viewshomer_123

I'd just like to point out that a new 'striker' doesn't mean that we'll improve that stat.

Take Lincoln, the three guilt edge chances fell to Evans, Leigh and Woolf. Evans from the corner with a free hit he put wide. Leigh with a near post header he put over and Woolf hit bar.

The one thing I really like about our play is the fact that we create and score from many positions, so signing a 20 goal a season striker might mean that KM has to tweak or change the teams way of playing to get the best out of that striker, which could actually be at the overall detriment of the team.

I absolutely would not tweak or mess about with how we play or approach games, we get a lot right but we could absolutely do with being more ruthless in taking the chances we create but the fact that we don't rely on a single play for goals is a really good thing.
[Post edited 4 Jan 2023 14:39]

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Most winning goals scored on 14:40 - Jan 4 with 1646 viewshomer_123

Most winning goals scored on 14:31 - Jan 4 by gringoblue

Little to show for it... we have 9 more points!

Royle was right, just gotta score 1 more than the opponent, end of.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024