Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drinking holes 18:25 - Jan 12 with 12462 viewsDevonport

Evening all, Plymouth fan in peace here.

Reading the away day guide the Station hotel is the allocated away pub for us on Saturday. As you are all fully aware, having a large contingent of people in one pub isn’t usually a pleasant experience so I was hoping for some recommendations to alternative pubs to waste a few hours prior to kick off.

No club colours will be on show to hopefully not restrict our options. Any help will be appreciated and all the best for the rest of the season post Saturday

Thanks
Drinking holes on 23:58 - Jan 12 with 2444 viewsDubtractor

Drinking holes on 23:53 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

Isaacs is everything I hate about pubs - and life in general to be honest.

My boy worked there for a while just before he pretended to go to university. On some days he would go in at 05.30 to meet the draymen and then have to get clocked off after one hour of unloading. Personally I would have paid them at the very least half a day,

And.......... If they were offered a drink by a reveller they could accept it but the transaction would go through as a sale - no money for the staff baby - and no beer!

That's pretty sh1tty.

They clearly know how to get 'bums on seats', but it's really not a pub I'm ever tempted to visit.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

Drinking holes on 00:09 - Jan 13 with 2408 viewsLord_Lucan

Drinking holes on 23:58 - Jan 12 by Dubtractor

That's pretty sh1tty.

They clearly know how to get 'bums on seats', but it's really not a pub I'm ever tempted to visit.

Yeah, it's really not my kind of place.

I like a place where you can sit at the bar and talk a load of sh1te, I was in the Salmon and Ball the other night and we put some ELO on and spoke a load of complete cr4p for a couple of hours - yeah, Pray silence for the Electric Light Orchestra! . Brilliant stuff - and the best thing is you always have the chance of being topped.

I like a pub where you have a good chance of getting shot

Isaacs, in my opinion offers none of these things.

“Hello, I'm your MP. Actually I'm not. I'm your candidate. Gosh.” Boris Johnson canvassing in Henley, 2005.
Poll: How will you be celebrating Prince Phils life today

Drinking holes on 00:12 - Jan 13 with 2400 viewsKentish_Tractor

Drinking holes on 23:58 - Jan 12 by Dubtractor

That's pretty sh1tty.

If you want a bar close to the ground then Isaacs is a good option - but it's always very busy in there on matchdays and is one of the most expensive pubs in the town due to being on the waterfront.

My favourite pub in the town is The Greyhound (lucky enough for it to have been my local growing up in Ipswich) - although you're talking about a 30 minute walk from the station to get there - and it has limited seating so my advice would be to get there early. Very friendly part of town.

Otherwise as others have said - so long as you're polite and not wearing your team shirt, virtually all the pubs in the town centre are fairly welcoming - and most will say on the door if they are home fans only. My recommendations would be the Plough or the Dove (both get very busy on match days so get there as early as you can to get a seat)

Poll: How often are you refreshing TWTD today?

Drinking holes on 00:30 - Jan 13 with 2368 viewsBasingstokeBlue

On the whole, we're a pretty friendly lot at the Black Horse.

Poll: What do you think of the three stars being relocated?

Drinking holes on 01:42 - Jan 13 with 2328 viewsfloridablue

I for one will be interested in your thoughts/opinion regarding the visit to Ipswich and the drinking holes you chose!
Drinking holes on 09:01 - Jan 13 with 2118 viewsMeadowlark

You'll be welcome in the Spread Eagle in town. Bit quieter than many on match days but great selection of cask ales from an independent brewer.
Plymouth is my favourite away trip in this division for pubs (After Derby and Sheffield of course!)
Drinking holes on 09:08 - Jan 13 with 2087 viewsDyland

You will be welcome at the Arcade Tavern for good selection of ale and craft beer. A bit further from the ground is the Greyhound if you like Adnams, and they do grub.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Drinking holes on 09:10 - Jan 13 with 2069 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 23:53 - Jan 12 by Lord_Lucan

Isaacs is everything I hate about pubs - and life in general to be honest.

My boy worked there for a while just before he pretended to go to university. On some days he would go in at 05.30 to meet the draymen and then have to get clocked off after one hour of unloading. Personally I would have paid them at the very least half a day,

And.......... If they were offered a drink by a reveller they could accept it but the transaction would go through as a sale - no money for the staff baby - and no beer!

Doesn’t surprise me that. What a shytehole.

Login to get fewer ads

Drinking holes on 09:11 - Jan 13 with 2057 viewsStewart27

I like the Curve bar.

Especially when you get served the first pint in the lines since it was last opened 2 weeks prior to that.
Drinking holes on 09:23 - Jan 13 with 2014 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 18:28 - Jan 12 by DinDjarin

Head to the Arcade Tavern in town, if you have no colours and behave should be no problems. Will be busy though but cracking selection of beers.

Or a bit of a further walk The Dove Street Inn is decent too. Again great selection of beers. My favourite pub.
[Post edited 12 Jan 2023 18:47]

Arcade don’t mind away colours on show as long as it’s not budgie, and as long as they’re well behaved and not singing.

Drinking holes on 09:33 - Jan 13 with 1979 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 20:57 - Jan 12 by Pendejo

Ipswich is a friendly place, unless you augment green with yellow, you will be welcome to spend oodles of cash anywhere. Well pretty much anywhere, there's still the odd caveman place.

Indeed. Any of the actual proper pubs welcome well behaved away fans, except possibly Mannings. The Black Horse is home fans only or it used to be but not sure they heavily enforce it? I’d avoid Curve bar and Isaacs but they aren’t proper pubs and I’d avoid them anyway as a matter of course innit
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 9:38]

Drinking holes on 09:44 - Jan 13 with 1927 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 18:55 - Jan 12 by SitfcB

The Hare and Hounds on Norwich Road always welcoming, short walk to the ground.

You little tinker. Surely it closed before you were out of nappies.

We lived that way in the early 80s and I remember locals regularly getting thrown through the window. A Wild West type of place.

Drinking holes on 09:47 - Jan 13 with 1900 viewsclive_baker

Drinking holes on 09:44 - Jan 13 by Dyland

You little tinker. Surely it closed before you were out of nappies.

We lived that way in the early 80s and I remember locals regularly getting thrown through the window. A Wild West type of place.

I never went in it but I remember it being featured on Britains Toughest Pubs on Sky. Have to say compared to a lot of the other pubs featured in that, especially some of the northern or Scottish ones it looked like the Ritz, but it was certainly a real dive. My favourite one I saw had a local who used to pop his glass eye out and drop it in his pint whenever he went for a slash to make sure nobody mineswept it.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Drinking holes on 09:48 - Jan 13 with 1915 viewsDyland

If you’re into ale you could also do the classic half crawl, if you drink and walk quickly and start midday. Fat Cat to Dove to Woolpack, saunter across the delightful Christchurch Park to Greyhound, then to St Jude’s (hold your nose) and finally to Arcade and the to the ground.

Drinking holes on 09:51 - Jan 13 with 1891 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 09:47 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

I never went in it but I remember it being featured on Britains Toughest Pubs on Sky. Have to say compared to a lot of the other pubs featured in that, especially some of the northern or Scottish ones it looked like the Ritz, but it was certainly a real dive. My favourite one I saw had a local who used to pop his glass eye out and drop it in his pint whenever he went for a slash to make sure nobody mineswept it.

Ha that’s brilliant.

I went in once after a skinful at the Brewers Arms, around 89/90, and yes it was actually pretty tame compared to some proper dives. But then, I’m not a fighting type and have never attracted trouble.

Drinking holes on 09:59 - Jan 13 with 1869 viewshype313

Drinking holes on 18:44 - Jan 12 by Parky

The Waterlily.

I've never been in there, or had any inclination to go, but also never seen anyone else walk in there or out, is it actually a Pub?

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Drinking holes on 10:03 - Jan 13 with 1851 viewsCityBlue

Drinking holes on 18:39 - Jan 12 by Hipsterectomy

The Golf Hotel on Foxhall Road is a short walk to the ground

short walk for the BFG maybe....

I T I D

[Redacted] on 10:05 - Jan 13 with 1839 viewsvictorywilhappen

Drinking holes on 09:51 - Jan 13 by Dyland

Ha that’s brilliant.

I went in once after a skinful at the Brewers Arms, around 89/90, and yes it was actually pretty tame compared to some proper dives. But then, I’m not a fighting type and have never attracted trouble.

[Redacted]
Drinking holes on 10:08 - Jan 13 with 1831 viewsCityBlue

My advice would be that most town center pubs will be fairly safe with any that have a history of trouble having relevant SIA door people.
Avoid the Falcon as that is where the hard core of Ipswich fans who may be slightly raucous will go. Any of the pubs surrounding Christchurch Park will be very busy but full of people willing to discuss the merits of supporting any particular club (Greyhound, Woolpack, Arbor).
Isaacs on the Quay is convenient and large enough for large crowds but there are also plenty of eateries surrounding it that would be equally suitable.
The railway is ideal for just away fans but it gets very crowded and of course attracts the raucous variant of the away fan.

I T I D

Drinking holes on 10:11 - Jan 13 with 1822 viewsclive_baker

Drinking holes on 09:48 - Jan 13 by Dyland

If you’re into ale you could also do the classic half crawl, if you drink and walk quickly and start midday. Fat Cat to Dove to Woolpack, saunter across the delightful Christchurch Park to Greyhound, then to St Jude’s (hold your nose) and finally to Arcade and the to the ground.

That's a lovely crawl. There's a lot I would change about Ipswich but Christchurch Park is genuinely a great park in a lovely part of town. Big fan of all those watering holes.

Drinking holes on 10:14 - Jan 13 with 1799 viewsDyland

[Redacted] on 10:05 - Jan 13 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Never been there and was only yesterday wondering what the pub scene was like around Maidenhall/Belstead? I only know the Steamboat, which used to be a cracking old dive before its recent ill judged refurb.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 10:19]

Drinking holes on 10:19 - Jan 13 with 1788 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 10:11 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

That's a lovely crawl. There's a lot I would change about Ipswich but Christchurch Park is genuinely a great park in a lovely part of town. Big fan of all those watering holes.

The Swich has a genuinely world class pub scene imo… though could do with one or two more…

If you extend that crawl I’d detour to take in the Arboretum (refuse to call it the Arbor ffs) on way to st Jude, and after the Arcade head over to Spread Eagle then the Nelson.

Drinking holes on 10:27 - Jan 13 with 1751 viewsclive_baker

Drinking holes on 10:19 - Jan 13 by Dyland

The Swich has a genuinely world class pub scene imo… though could do with one or two more…

If you extend that crawl I’d detour to take in the Arboretum (refuse to call it the Arbor ffs) on way to st Jude, and after the Arcade head over to Spread Eagle then the Nelson.

Yeah we're lucky. I always take visitors to the waterfront as it is a lovely spot, it's a shame there's no great pub there though. Had a great one in the summer with some friends who visited from London. Glorious weather, so started on the marina for brunch and a coffee to line our stomach, and then did pretty much all of those mentioned above throughout the day, chilled in the park for a bit, tried the Botanist for evening drinks and ended up on St Nicholas street, bar there then a curry and few Cobras.

Top day that.

Drinking holes on 10:28 - Jan 13 with 1745 viewsParky

Drinking holes on 09:59 - Jan 13 by hype313

I've never been in there, or had any inclination to go, but also never seen anyone else walk in there or out, is it actually a Pub?

Went in there before Christmas when we were doing the Spring Road pub crawl, it was like going back in time, mixed with a crack den.

Black leather sofas infront of an 80’s style tv with an Iraqi commentary on the Premier League game. We got filthy looks from the clientele as soon as we walked in, was topped off when going to the bog and seeing what I can only assume was homeless people, injecting on more leather sofas outside.

Pool table was alright though.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 10:30]
Drinking holes on 10:39 - Jan 13 with 1704 viewshype313

Drinking holes on 10:27 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

Yeah we're lucky. I always take visitors to the waterfront as it is a lovely spot, it's a shame there's no great pub there though. Had a great one in the summer with some friends who visited from London. Glorious weather, so started on the marina for brunch and a coffee to line our stomach, and then did pretty much all of those mentioned above throughout the day, chilled in the park for a bit, tried the Botanist for evening drinks and ended up on St Nicholas street, bar there then a curry and few Cobras.

Top day that.

Lorn Nelson is decent and not too far from Waterfront

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024