Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Drinking holes 18:25 - Jan 12 with 12460 viewsDevonport

Evening all, Plymouth fan in peace here.

Reading the away day guide the Station hotel is the allocated away pub for us on Saturday. As you are all fully aware, having a large contingent of people in one pub isn’t usually a pleasant experience so I was hoping for some recommendations to alternative pubs to waste a few hours prior to kick off.

No club colours will be on show to hopefully not restrict our options. Any help will be appreciated and all the best for the rest of the season post Saturday

Thanks
Drinking holes on 10:41 - Jan 13 with 2510 viewshype313

Drinking holes on 10:28 - Jan 13 by Parky

Went in there before Christmas when we were doing the Spring Road pub crawl, it was like going back in time, mixed with a crack den.

Black leather sofas infront of an 80’s style tv with an Iraqi commentary on the Premier League game. We got filthy looks from the clientele as soon as we walked in, was topped off when going to the bog and seeing what I can only assume was homeless people, injecting on more leather sofas outside.

Pool table was alright though.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 10:30]

Sounds Idyllic.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Drinking holes on 10:50 - Jan 13 with 2472 viewsclive_baker

Drinking holes on 10:39 - Jan 13 by hype313

Lorn Nelson is decent and not too far from Waterfront

Yeah that's not bad, although we didn't go in. It's got a bit of outside space at the back from memory hasn't it? Pub garden was a top priority that day, which is where Arcade doesn't rank too strong but still a nice pub.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Drinking holes on 11:21 - Jan 13 with 2409 viewshype313

Drinking holes on 10:50 - Jan 13 by clive_baker

Yeah that's not bad, although we didn't go in. It's got a bit of outside space at the back from memory hasn't it? Pub garden was a top priority that day, which is where Arcade doesn't rank too strong but still a nice pub.

It's got a small outside garden quite nice, decent beer and the food isn't too shabby either.

Poll: Simpson - Keep, Sell or Loan

Drinking holes on 12:21 - Jan 13 with 2325 viewswoodbridge_blue

I would give a vote to The Halberd, plenty of screens showing live games, decent beers, food available, generally friendly crowd ...what's not to like?
[Redacted] on 12:29 - Jan 13 with 2293 viewsvictorywilhappen

Drinking holes on 12:21 - Jan 13 by woodbridge_blue

I would give a vote to The Halberd, plenty of screens showing live games, decent beers, food available, generally friendly crowd ...what's not to like?

[Redacted]
Drinking holes on 12:54 - Jan 13 with 2245 viewswoodbridge_blue

[Redacted] on 12:29 - Jan 13 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Didn't know about that....always been fine on a Saturday lunchtime when I have been in there, but if that is the case then best avoid for our West Country friends.
Drinking holes on 12:58 - Jan 13 with 2236 viewstivo

Drinking holes on 18:55 - Jan 12 by SitfcB

The Hare and Hounds on Norwich Road always welcoming, short walk to the ground.

You can get a gorgeous wedding dress at the same time.
Drinking holes on 13:00 - Jan 13 with 2235 viewstivo

Dove, Greyhound, Woolpack. All will have parking nearby as they're a 20 minute walk to the stadium and you will be welcomed as long as you behave :)
Login to get fewer ads

Drinking holes on 13:11 - Jan 13 with 2210 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 10:08 - Jan 13 by CityBlue

My advice would be that most town center pubs will be fairly safe with any that have a history of trouble having relevant SIA door people.
Avoid the Falcon as that is where the hard core of Ipswich fans who may be slightly raucous will go. Any of the pubs surrounding Christchurch Park will be very busy but full of people willing to discuss the merits of supporting any particular club (Greyhound, Woolpack, Arbor).
Isaacs on the Quay is convenient and large enough for large crowds but there are also plenty of eateries surrounding it that would be equally suitable.
The railway is ideal for just away fans but it gets very crowded and of course attracts the raucous variant of the away fan.

Seconded!

Greyhound, Woolpack, Arcade and Lord Nelson from experience tend to have Town fans who like talking football generally and more than happy to chinwag with like minded oppo fans.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

Drinking holes on 13:18 - Jan 13 with 2186 viewsitfcjoe

Plenty of places in town, and you'll be fine in nearly any of them - prob a couple to avoid like Bar21 and Curve which will be more a footbally vibe.

But to be blunt, with 27k Ipswich fans going, and 2k Plymouth fans there everywhere is going to be rammed pre game - I'd maybe look someone like The Halberd as big space there and away from the main thrust of things but still only 10-15 min walk.

But will very much be a case of getting in early and taking what you can find - you'll have a good time wherever you end up, a sh*t time between 3 and 5 and hopefully a safe trip home!

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Drinking holes on 13:20 - Jan 13 with 2183 viewsitfcjoe

Drinking holes on 23:58 - Jan 12 by Dubtractor

That's pretty sh1tty.

They clearly know how to get 'bums on seats', but it's really not a pub I'm ever tempted to visit.

I went there before the game last week and was decent, cheap food and had my 6 year old with me, with their football special and decent beer selection and was all tasting good so clean lines etc.

Obviously wasn't as rammed for a Cup game but can't really grumble if you can get a good inside table by the main upstairs bar

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Drinking holes on 13:26 - Jan 13 with 2161 viewsStewart27

Drinking holes on 13:20 - Jan 13 by itfcjoe

I went there before the game last week and was decent, cheap food and had my 6 year old with me, with their football special and decent beer selection and was all tasting good so clean lines etc.

Obviously wasn't as rammed for a Cup game but can't really grumble if you can get a good inside table by the main upstairs bar

It’s great.

It’s an independent pub in a stunning location and always has footy on. Plenty of little bars to choose from and the courtyard is great in the summer. Will be taking my 9 year old and meeting my mates tomorrow. Not many pubs you can do that.

I get that people don’t like busy places though.
Drinking holes on 13:48 - Jan 13 with 2115 viewsStu_Magoo

Honorable mention for The Spread Eagle. That said, it's neither near the station nor the ground but we are creatures of habit and thus it shall remain.
Drinking holes on 17:11 - Jan 13 with 1975 viewsCityBlue

strange how a post relating to alcohol consumption gets the biggest response.

I T I D

Drinking holes on 17:14 - Jan 13 with 1972 viewsclive_baker

Drinking holes on 17:11 - Jan 13 by CityBlue

Literally doesn't mention alcohol once in his post. Just asks where's good to go for a drink before the game.

Poll: Will Boris Johnson be PM this time next week?
Blog: [Blog] Team Spirit Holds the Key

Drinking holes on 17:26 - Jan 13 with 1933 viewsZx1988

Drinking holes on 17:11 - Jan 13 by CityBlue

It's almost as if there's a strong contingent of football fans who enjoy a beer before a game, and just happen to know the best places for a pre-match pint.

Poll: Stone Island - immediate associations

Drinking holes on 18:05 - Jan 13 with 1853 viewsLRB84UK

Just hopping on to say the plough is no good if you've got under 18s in your party! Drank in there for 30 plus years and now unable to go on a Saturday as under 18s are banned!
Drinking holes on 18:15 - Jan 13 with 1833 viewsDinDjarin

Drinking holes on 09:33 - Jan 13 by Dyland

Indeed. Any of the actual proper pubs welcome well behaved away fans, except possibly Mannings. The Black Horse is home fans only or it used to be but not sure they heavily enforce it? I’d avoid Curve bar and Isaacs but they aren’t proper pubs and I’d avoid them anyway as a matter of course innit
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 9:38]

It's the council who made the ban on away fans not the pubs.
Drinking holes on 18:19 - Jan 13 with 1825 viewsDarkHorse

Drinking holes on 18:05 - Jan 13 by LRB84UK

Just hopping on to say the plough is no good if you've got under 18s in your party! Drank in there for 30 plus years and now unable to go on a Saturday as under 18s are banned!

It's Benjamin Button!
Drinking holes on 08:03 - Jan 14 with 1590 viewsHarlestonblue

The Thomas Wolsey on St.Peter's Street is a great old pub in an historic part of Town just a 5 minutes walk from PR. A great crowd there, very friendly with well kept real ales. Officially it's home fans only but if you are not wearing away colours and smile at the doorman you will be fine! see you there! If you have time visit the nearby WATERFRONT.
Drinking holes on 08:30 - Jan 14 with 1546 viewsFunge

[Redacted] on 10:05 - Jan 13 by victorywilhappen

[Redacted]

Very good Darts teams at the Smock.

That mini-crawl above is quite good, although I'd probably laugh St Jude's off; personal preference...
Drinking holes on 09:14 - Jan 14 with 1479 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 08:30 - Jan 14 by Funge

Very good Darts teams at the Smock.

That mini-crawl above is quite good, although I'd probably laugh St Jude's off; personal preference...

I hear ya on St Jude's.... but it's a nice curiosity with some alright beers, for a fleeting visit en route to more salubrious surroundings... innit.

Drinking holes on 09:16 - Jan 14 with 1459 viewsDyland

Drinking holes on 18:15 - Jan 13 by DinDjarin

It's the council who made the ban on away fans not the pubs.

Aye of course... probs why (some) don't really enforce it.

It used to do my nut the Station being away fans, but now just pop into Legends if we have time for pre train pint.

Drinking holes on 12:09 - Jan 14 with 1300 viewsstonojnr

Drinking holes on 09:16 - Jan 14 by Dyland

Aye of course... probs why (some) don't really enforce it.

It used to do my nut the Station being away fans, but now just pop into Legends if we have time for pre train pint.

if its a condition of your license, and its more a police imposed condition that the council apply to the license, you are taking a big risk not enforcing it properly, because the police will absolutely call you out on it if they have to attend any calls to respond to trouble, and that then impacts your business in the future, I know McGintys were on their final warning for it back in the day.

and thats why Mannings has always been quite strict on it, why the Robert Ransome had to use plastic glasses on match days & why door staff appear at pubs that never are any bother the rest of the time.

pubs outside the town centre dont have that stipulation which is why theyre more relaxed about it.
Drinking holes on 12:11 - Jan 14 with 1292 viewsFunge

Drinking holes on 12:09 - Jan 14 by stonojnr

if its a condition of your license, and its more a police imposed condition that the council apply to the license, you are taking a big risk not enforcing it properly, because the police will absolutely call you out on it if they have to attend any calls to respond to trouble, and that then impacts your business in the future, I know McGintys were on their final warning for it back in the day.

and thats why Mannings has always been quite strict on it, why the Robert Ransome had to use plastic glasses on match days & why door staff appear at pubs that never are any bother the rest of the time.

pubs outside the town centre dont have that stipulation which is why theyre more relaxed about it.

McGintys seemed to be on a final warning for everything from about 1995 onwards...

2 bottles of Carlsberg for a quid was a teenage dream back in the day.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024