Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? 08:29 - Feb 10 with 1444 viewsPippin1970

Remember going to game at Maine Road in 86/87 season. You could opt out of it too certain clubs too. Cracking game though.
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 09:26 - Feb 10 with 1370 viewsMattinLondon

Wasn’t that introduced due to English clubs being banned from European competition? Was it the same as the Simond (or some similar name) cup?

I think the cubs that qualified for Europe played in a more elite Micky mouse cup instead of it?
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 10:09 - Feb 10 with 1341 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 09:26 - Feb 10 by MattinLondon

Wasn’t that introduced due to English clubs being banned from European competition? Was it the same as the Simond (or some similar name) cup?

I think the cubs that qualified for Europe played in a more elite Micky mouse cup instead of it?

Yep. Full members became Simod and Zenith Data.

I don't recall it being considered a burden of a tournament like it would be today. I enjoyed it as it was more football to watch and like already said, you could opt in or out of it.

We came close to an East Anglian Derby final one year as we both got to semis.

One of my favourite Derby wins was in this event too as well as one of my biggest laughs (Luton shootout) so I've actually got quite a bit of affection for it.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 14:44 - Feb 10 with 1255 viewssticklegs

Yes remember it well and as others have said, it wasn't really considered second rate at the time. I seem to remember us winning 3-2 at Man City in a really entertaining match. I also remember us beating Norwich at home in the Simon Cup (as it was later called). I went to the Wembley final too to see Luton lose 4-0 to Reading, in the same season Luton beat Arsenal in the League Cup.
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 15:18 - Feb 10 with 1223 viewsSawtrich

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 10:09 - Feb 10 by gainsboroughblue

Yep. Full members became Simod and Zenith Data.

I don't recall it being considered a burden of a tournament like it would be today. I enjoyed it as it was more football to watch and like already said, you could opt in or out of it.

We came close to an East Anglian Derby final one year as we both got to semis.

One of my favourite Derby wins was in this event too as well as one of my biggest laughs (Luton shootout) so I've actually got quite a bit of affection for it.

Yes! We beat Norwich 1-0 with a Milton goal in extra time I think.

Also remember the penalty shoot out with Luton, Linighan smashing one against the post, did they win it 2-1 or similar?
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 15:22 - Feb 10 with 1218 viewsPique

The main thing I remember about it is that Nottingham Forest always seemed to win it.
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 16:51 - Feb 10 with 1132 viewsbluelagos

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 15:22 - Feb 10 by Pique

The main thing I remember about it is that Nottingham Forest always seemed to win it.

Just done some googling. We were regulars in the quarters and semi finals.

Remember going to a couple of home games and being disappointed not to be Wembley bound.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Full_Members%27_Cup

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 17:38 - Feb 10 with 1096 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 15:18 - Feb 10 by Sawtrich

Yes! We beat Norwich 1-0 with a Milton goal in extra time I think.

Also remember the penalty shoot out with Luton, Linighan smashing one against the post, did they win it 2-1 or similar?

We won 2-1 on pens, going out to Chelsea (again on pens) in the next round.

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 17:40 - Feb 10 with 1093 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 15:22 - Feb 10 by Pique

Them and Chelsea both won it twice.

Login to get fewer ads

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 17:48 - Feb 10 with 1088 viewsTrequartista

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 09:26 - Feb 10 by MattinLondon

Yes the Super Cup was the elite mickey mouse cup and it lasted 1 season, whereas Full Members lasted several years whilst English clubs were banned from Europe. The big clubs often opted out, ironic as they were mostly the ones that would have been playing in Europe.

I remember seeing us playing Aston Villa at home in this competition purely because it was the match i realised i needed to wear glasses. (No, I wasn't the referee)

Poll: Who do you blame for our failure to progress?

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 19:15 - Feb 10 with 1026 viewsPique

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 17:40 - Feb 10 by gainsboroughblue

Them and Chelsea both won it twice.

Ah yes, that's right.

At the time it felt very much like a Brian Clough 'I can't win the league or European trophies any more, but I can win this' kind of trophy.

Although I suppose no-one could win European trophies at that point.
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 19:59 - Feb 10 with 917 viewssolemio

It wasn't the Simond or the Simon Cup. It was the Simod Cup.
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 21:16 - Feb 10 with 840 viewsNthsuffolkblue

There was also the short-lived Anglo-Italian Cup. Was it Championship or non-European-qualifying teams playing? Some rounds involved two domestic sides. Crowds were low and it didn't last long.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 21:22 - Feb 10 with 827 viewsgainsboroughblue

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 21:16 - Feb 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

There was also the short-lived Anglo-Italian Cup. Was it Championship or non-European-qualifying teams playing? Some rounds involved two domestic sides. Crowds were low and it didn't last long.

It basically replaced the Full Members cup from 92-93 but was for teams from Championship (Division One as it was) and Serie B.

Lasted four seasons and we only took part in the last one.

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 21:25 - Feb 10 with 816 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 21:22 - Feb 10 by gainsboroughblue

It basically replaced the Full Members cup from 92-93 but was for teams from Championship (Division One as it was) and Serie B.

Lasted four seasons and we only took part in the last one.

I thought we took part in more than one. I guess that was the first year we were relegated.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 21:51 - Feb 10 with 790 viewsMattinLondon

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 21:25 - Feb 10 by Nthsuffolkblue

I thought we took part in more than one. I guess that was the first year we were relegated.

There’s a quiz question which asks ‘what is the only team to have beaten Ipswich at home in European competition? The answer being Port Vale as they won at PR in the Anglo-Italian Cup.
Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 23:03 - Feb 10 with 706 viewsFifeITFC

I remember us beating Wimbledon.

Also, the crazy penalty shoot out with Luton.

Poll: Lambert goes, would you prefer an ex-Town connection replacement or not?

Anyone remember the Full Members Cup? on 23:10 - Feb 10 with 687 viewsallezlesbleus

I remember going to Blackburn away midweek, for what I think was a semi final. We didn't play very well and got deservedly knocked out.

Bizarrely, I seem to remember being shocked seeing a big Union Jack flag in the side stand next to us, with "Blackburn NF" on it.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024