Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Trevor Whymark 13:52 - Apr 18 with 1415 viewsCoastalblue

How good was he?

I saw him play a good few times but as a kid then didn't really have too much appreciation of what a good player was, the time I was old enough he was gone and Mariner was my hero.

He struggled with injuries didn't he?

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Trevor Whymark on 13:57 - Apr 18 with 1367 viewshomer_123

Very very good, underrated.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Trevor Whymark on 14:01 - Apr 18 with 1355 viewsshaunmahony

He was brilliant , seemed to be able to hang in the air heading on for first Johnson and then Mariner - great pairings. He was thin and lanky and always looked like he needed a good meal - personally I think he is one of the most unsung heroes of Robson's first teams. Saw his 4 goals against Lazio - wow is the best word . Then he got another 4 against WBA in Mariner's first match - yes, I think injuries caused him to miss out on the 78 Cup Final. Great player.
Trevor Whymark on 14:04 - Apr 18 with 1339 viewsTVRBlue

Trevor Whymark was my favourite player when I started following Town as a young lad.

A great, great player back in the day.
Trevor Whymark on 14:07 - Apr 18 with 1328 viewsCoastalblue

Trevor Whymark on 14:01 - Apr 18 by shaunmahony

He was brilliant , seemed to be able to hang in the air heading on for first Johnson and then Mariner - great pairings. He was thin and lanky and always looked like he needed a good meal - personally I think he is one of the most unsung heroes of Robson's first teams. Saw his 4 goals against Lazio - wow is the best word . Then he got another 4 against WBA in Mariner's first match - yes, I think injuries caused him to miss out on the 78 Cup Final. Great player.

It was the WBA game that started me thinking, mentioned in another thread I went, then looked up the highlights as you do, and watching him he looked unplayable that day.

I think it was his second was stunning, ball from Burley, interplay between Whymark and Mariner and then it's in the back of the net.

To be honest, watching it I was thinking it was the sort of goal we might score now, but probably wouldn't have in the last 10-15 years.

Pretty sure I saw him play for Colchester in the mid 80's but not certain now, I know he only played a handful of games there.

No idea when I began here, was a very long time ago. Previously known as Spirit_of_81. Love cheese, hate the colour of it, this is why it requires some blue in it.
Poll: If someone promised you promotion next season, would you think

Trevor Whymark on 14:12 - Apr 18 with 1291 viewsHeathlander

He was fantastic. He was my favourite player as a youngster. Had an amazing leap but was also great with his feet. Brilliant foil for Jonty and then Mariner. Unlucky with injuries later on in his career. Great perm too.
Trevor Whymark on 14:16 - Apr 18 with 1266 viewsSivell

He is still playing at 72.

Well he was when I last saw Laurie Sivell at least.

Told me they were in the same walking football team together.
Trevor Whymark on 14:54 - Apr 18 with 1164 viewsMeadowlark

This piece appeared in the August 2006 edition of TWTD. When it was a paper fanzine.

https://ibb.co/VJ2trbk
Trevor Whymark on 16:02 - Apr 18 with 1019 viewsTVRBlue

Trevor Whymark on 14:54 - Apr 18 by Meadowlark

This piece appeared in the August 2006 edition of TWTD. When it was a paper fanzine.

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post that here today.

Was brilliant to read that.
Login to get fewer ads

Trevor Whymark on 16:02 - Apr 18 with 1016 viewsfarkenhell

Trevor Whymark on 14:07 - Apr 18 by Coastalblue

It was the WBA game that started me thinking, mentioned in another thread I went, then looked up the highlights as you do, and watching him he looked unplayable that day.

I think it was his second was stunning, ball from Burley, interplay between Whymark and Mariner and then it's in the back of the net.

To be honest, watching it I was thinking it was the sort of goal we might score now, but probably wouldn't have in the last 10-15 years.

Pretty sure I saw him play for Colchester in the mid 80's but not certain now, I know he only played a handful of games there.

Of all the great goals in that game (and there were a number of them), my favourite is Beattie's. Including the goalie moving his arm out of the way at the last moment, to avoid it from becoming distorted!
Trevor Whymark on 16:06 - Apr 18 with 1002 viewsChurchman

Those who remember him think of him being good in the air. He was, but he was also excellent in the ground too. He was an excellent foil for first Belfitt, then David Johnson and finally Mariner. That’s the measure of the player.

He started getting serious injuries in 1977 and he was never quite the same player. He did go on to play at a lower level for a good few years after he left us in 1979.

He was a really good player and let’s face it, anyone making over 250 appearances for a club has to fall into the ‘hall of fame category, which he deservedly is.
Trevor Whymark on 16:07 - Apr 18 with 1000 viewsfarkenhell

Trevor Whymark on 16:02 - Apr 18 by TVRBlue

Thanks for taking the time and making the effort to post that here today.

Was brilliant to read that.

That certainly was. Hadn't seen that before.
Trevor Whymark on 17:03 - Apr 18 with 862 views66notout

Trevor Whymark on 13:57 - Apr 18 by homer_123

Very very good, underrated.

Agreed. He was at the game on Saturday.
Trevor Whymark on 17:56 - Apr 18 with 783 viewshowdonblue

He was my first town hero

He was Top notch
Extremely underrated 💙🤍
Lovely article on 18:29 - Apr 18 with 715 viewsDyland

Trevor Whymark on 14:54 - Apr 18 by Meadowlark

I wonder, is Trevor still invited to the club for stuff? He should have the keys innit.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024