Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suggestions on who to sign next season? 09:02 - Apr 30 with 8673 viewsDilithium85

Considering players from the Championship came down to league 1, surely players from the Premier league will be happy to drop down to the championship
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 20:52 - Apr 30 with 1071 viewsChurchman

Luongo and Hirst. If we can’t get Hirst, another no 9.

I genuinely don’t thing we need much to give next season a real go and the last thing I’d like to see is the team spirit and cohesion shredded.
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 22:44 - Apr 30 with 941 viewsjayessess

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:05 - Apr 30 by SlippinJimmyJuan

To (try to) keep it short, and not including those already out on loan, I see Humphreys probably out on loan and I think Donacien and Hladky stay if they are happy to be back up.

I reckon these five will almost certainly move on:

Keogh
Aluko
KVY
Jackson
Evans

These four could be vulnerable depending on who is available, what their playing time expectations are and what we can get for them:

Ball
Burgess
Harness
Leigh

I honestly have no idea with Edmundson - is he down the pecking order because of fitness or would he have been out of the side anyway?

All of them have played a vital role in getting us up and they deserve our thanks to a man, but if the club think they can attract better then I don't think they will hesitate.

Does seem ruthless when you write it down like that though. In reality, there is a balancing act to perform. Can't knock the character of anyone listed there nor what they have done for us - anyone that comes in will need to live up to those high standards. You do have to keep reinventing squads, but it could feel a bit callous to discard so many players. In truth, I don't believe all of those listed will go, but I think a good percentage probably will.

I tend to agree on Bishop, I like him but I like Ladapo too, so if it came down to either/or, I'd stick with Fred.

Most importantly though, whatever McKenna decides to do with the squad, I'll back it. I'm not trying to hound anyone out, they've all put a monumental shift in and they'll forever have my gratitude.

Just can't see McKenna + the club going back on so many judgements they've made relatively recently. There was a lot of chat about massive turnover last Summer and we ended up selling just one player who was in contract (and that was Tyreece Simpson). Just one senior pro left (Tom Carroll).

I'm sure Keogh, Aluko and KVY's deals will be allowed to expire.

But Evans, when he's been fit he's generally started. We might subsequently have decided he's not robust enough and we'll look to upgrade, but it's not a given.

Jackson's been written off before, but McKenna's continued to see him as a useful option and was happy to offer him a 2-year contract last Summer. Wouldn't surprise me if he's still knocking about in August (might disappear later if we use Aluko's spot for Whittaker/Rak-Sakyi or similar and he's drops down the Wes Burns stand-in pecking order).

Ball - versatile, plays 3 positions, experienced in the Championship, he'll be here.

Burgess - has been our starting centre back for months, no chance he's going anywhere, especially with Keogh retiring.

Leigh - said this before, it's a mug's game setting out to replace adequate squad players who are in contract. I doubt we'll bother. Davis is unchallenged first choice Left Back, unlikely we'll find a much better deputy.

Harness - might be in danger, but McKenna chose to spend a big fee on him relatively recently. We know how much analytical work goes into those deals, so I'm sceptical that we into that one with the idea he'd only be of use for one season.

Edmundson's one. But again, it's hard to know how he's thought of when fully fit.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2023 22:51]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 23:06 - Apr 30 with 898 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 22:44 - Apr 30 by jayessess

Just can't see McKenna + the club going back on so many judgements they've made relatively recently. There was a lot of chat about massive turnover last Summer and we ended up selling just one player who was in contract (and that was Tyreece Simpson). Just one senior pro left (Tom Carroll).

I'm sure Keogh, Aluko and KVY's deals will be allowed to expire.

But Evans, when he's been fit he's generally started. We might subsequently have decided he's not robust enough and we'll look to upgrade, but it's not a given.

Jackson's been written off before, but McKenna's continued to see him as a useful option and was happy to offer him a 2-year contract last Summer. Wouldn't surprise me if he's still knocking about in August (might disappear later if we use Aluko's spot for Whittaker/Rak-Sakyi or similar and he's drops down the Wes Burns stand-in pecking order).

Ball - versatile, plays 3 positions, experienced in the Championship, he'll be here.

Burgess - has been our starting centre back for months, no chance he's going anywhere, especially with Keogh retiring.

Leigh - said this before, it's a mug's game setting out to replace adequate squad players who are in contract. I doubt we'll bother. Davis is unchallenged first choice Left Back, unlikely we'll find a much better deputy.

Harness - might be in danger, but McKenna chose to spend a big fee on him relatively recently. We know how much analytical work goes into those deals, so I'm sceptical that we into that one with the idea he'd only be of use for one season.

Edmundson's one. But again, it's hard to know how he's thought of when fully fit.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2023 22:51]

You may well be right but I think the club may be far more aggressive in their ambitions than most expect. Let's come back to it when the window closes, I reckon aside from Hump out on loan, 7 or 8 of all those players that I mentioned are sold, loaned or released. Least likely to go by a long shot being Burgess and then Ball. That said, I still expect they will be further down the pecking order than they are now.

Of course I could be completely wrong!

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 07:08 - May 1 with 759 viewsPioneerBlue

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 09:04 - Apr 30 by FrimleyBlue

John Jules
Hirst
Taylor
A cb possibly. unsure

then it just depends who/if we lose any
[Post edited 30 Apr 2023 9:05]

I’m not disagreeing but should point out none of these are proven at the level up.

Defence
I see a centre back as a key investment probably an experienced one or potentially one that allows Edmundson to compete with Wolf.

We assume Keogh is not going to be seen as the back up.

Edmundson and Wolf wouldn’t be my assumed Championship pair and we’ve benefited from Burgess left side with Wolf which could be an opening pair. It’s probably a player to put immediate pressure on Burgess, unless we find Baggot can contribute.

Midfield
Taylor would leave a lot of questions to answer about midfield balance. I see midfield as a place we could add height/younger legs to ensure we don’t over do Morsy/Luongo/Ball. Who knows what’s to come for Camera but he might be that player.

El Miz probably benefits from a L1 loan.

Many have said Evo is done, not sure, yes he has reoccurring knee problems and that might be enough but he has good general fitness and his running is good based on comments last pre season.

Attack/Striker
There is also a player or two light in the attacking midfield/10 positions and striker role. Edwards/Harness are currently the only rotation players for Broadhead, Burns has Jackson. Chaplin has no equal. Ladapo and Hirst (not currently ours) have very limited Championship experience.

I’m not convinced that Edwards and Jackson are the quality of back up they have been seen as in L1 compared with next year at the higher level, there are some that say the Championship will better suit Edwards, maybe? Either way, Aluko is probably done and we have a gap, TJJ could cover Broadhead and Striker roles.

Interesting summer ahead to see how we approach it. Assuming we don’t want to get stuck in the loss making quagmire like ME managers did, there will be genuine starting players brought in to have a fighting chance of getting out in 1-3 seasons. It’s going to be a real headache in a way perhaps it wasn’t when we knew we were building to compete for L1 promotion. There will also be new players that become options for us in a way they were not previously in L1, like higher quality Prem loans, possibly even overseas players with an eye on stepping to the prem.
[Post edited 1 May 2023 8:39]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 07:47 - May 1 with 706 viewsWeWereZombies

If Everton have a close season financial crisis, either as a result of relegation or loss of faith in a side that can only just stay up or because of uncertainty about ownership, then poaching Ellis Simms from them would give us a powerful front man who has plenty of tricks up his sleeve. Not sure if he is the type of player that fits with McKenna's team ethos but would be exiting to watch, he would need an assurance of regular first team football though I think.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 07:57 - May 1 with 670 viewsPioneerBlue

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 16:00 - Apr 30 by BigCommon

Here's the thing, Burgess has only looked exposed imo, when our midfield has been under cooked... Since we've had Luongo in there, I honestly can't remember Burgess putting a foot wrong, as he's been protected, somewhat, from players breaking through and running at him... The partnership and telepathy he's built up with Woolfy, shouldn't be underestimated either. That's something, that any new addition, would probably take some time to achieve, if ever...

This might have been part of the undoing when we were relegated. I agree with you. Defending is not only about the defenders!
[Post edited 1 May 2023 8:33]

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 08:05 - May 1 with 658 viewsSenatorBlue

Tend to look at this as a squad vs ambition situation.

This year, ambition Championship, build a squad oven ready for Championship. Job done; as stated in this thread this squad is ready for next season. Heroes the lot of them, and they’ll do well, even if unchanged.

But…

Ambition now changes to Premier League, therefore the model is build a squad oven ready for the Premier League (if that is possible), and when you look at our squad through that lense then you start to see the changes required.

I really don’t want to think of it too much right now, maybe closer to summer, because right now and this season is some of the best memories of supporting Ipswich I can ever recall, and frankly I don’t want this time to ever end.

Edit: typo
[Post edited 1 May 2023 8:07]
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 08:29 - May 1 with 597 viewsMullet

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 07:47 - May 1 by WeWereZombies

If Everton have a close season financial crisis, either as a result of relegation or loss of faith in a side that can only just stay up or because of uncertainty about ownership, then poaching Ellis Simms from them would give us a powerful front man who has plenty of tricks up his sleeve. Not sure if he is the type of player that fits with McKenna's team ethos but would be exiting to watch, he would need an assurance of regular first team football though I think.

Simms would be a hell of a signing.

Likewise looking at who United are releasing Hannibal and Tuanzebe (sp) are the more recognisable names with Championship experience, but I'd wonder if they were the type of players McKenna wants.

I'm waiting on Reuser to reply to my tweet asking for any Ajax connections to be explored.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024