Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Suggestions on who to sign next season? 09:02 - Apr 30 with 8708 viewsDilithium85

Considering players from the Championship came down to league 1, surely players from the Premier league will be happy to drop down to the championship
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 16:18 - Apr 30 with 2274 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Backup for Walton and Broadhead. Particularly the latter, I’ll be shocked if Harness doesn’t move on permanently or on loan - maybe someone like Windass.

Hopefully Burgess can cut it in the Championship as he’s had a fantastic season.

Surely Luton or Millwall have some decent players to poach. If they don’t go up the vultures will be circling!
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 16:24 - Apr 30 with 2256 viewscressi

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 16:14 - Apr 30 by CBMTOBWMMBG

Surprised at the comments so far. It's a big step up.

I don't expect us to be looking at many L1 players. Championship level at a minimum.

And for us to upgrade in several areas, just as we did in January. I would expect few current contracted players to be automatic choices next year: maybe Davis, Chaplin, Broadhead, Walton.

The likes of Burns, Burgess, Wolf, possibly even Morsy, can expect real competition to be coming in.

Never stand still I believe we will lose or ie Keogh will become part of the coaching set up. lose Aluko Hladky Harness Jackson KVY Humpreys loan try and sign Llungo and Hirst plus 5 others roughly.
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 16:49 - Apr 30 with 2212 viewsjayessess

I don't expect us to be looking at many L1 players. Championship level at a minimum.

And for us to upgrade in several areas, just as we did in January. I would expect few current contracted players to be automatic choices next year: maybe Davis, Chaplin, Broadhead, Walton.

The likes of Burns, Burgess, Wolf, possibly even Morsy, can expect real competition to be coming in.

Think you've got to be careful not to go to overboard with massive changes after a promotion season. The main advantage you've got over established teams is momentum, cohesiveness and good feeling, you're used to winning games together. You'll also have players who'll feel they and their team mates have earned a shot at the higher level.

Yes, you've got to be ruthless, but you do also have to show a bit of trust and loyalty.

Sunderland have had a great season and barely any of their new signings have been more than squad players (only Diallo makes their top 12 for appearances).

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:08 - Apr 30 with 2166 viewsxrayspecs

I think there will be more change than most fans expect. MA made some comment about transfer targets changing significantly if we get back to the Champ.

I think we need much more than a few tweaks to the squad if we want to be competitive next season.
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:09 - Apr 30 with 2158 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

I think those expecting a quiet summer are in for a rude awakening. Like Chico said the other day, I expect to see a good chunk of fringe players moved on in some capacity, with replacements of a similar standard to Davis and Broadhead brought in.

Luongo should be a given. Try for Hirst, not sure it will happen though. TJJ is obviously well thought of, although I don't feel I have seen enough of him to have a strong opinion either way.

I like Jes Rak-Sakyi a lot. Beyond that, I think we will be looking at other young lads in and around the Premier League. I like Colby Bishop, but can he make that step up from journeyman to Championship at 26/27?

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:49 - Apr 30 with 2075 viewsBigCommon

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 16:49 - Apr 30 by jayessess

Think you've got to be careful not to go to overboard with massive changes after a promotion season. The main advantage you've got over established teams is momentum, cohesiveness and good feeling, you're used to winning games together. You'll also have players who'll feel they and their team mates have earned a shot at the higher level.

Yes, you've got to be ruthless, but you do also have to show a bit of trust and loyalty.

Sunderland have had a great season and barely any of their new signings have been more than squad players (only Diallo makes their top 12 for appearances).

Exactly this... And we've only been an absolute force for a couple of months. Yes, the Jan signings added lots. But for some others, it's taken over a year under KM, to really get it right... I dont think wholesale changes are a great idea. 2 or 3 in the summer, 2 or 3 in January if required. My op.
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:49 - Apr 30 with 2074 viewsjayessess

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:09 - Apr 30 by SlippinJimmyJuan

I think those expecting a quiet summer are in for a rude awakening. Like Chico said the other day, I expect to see a good chunk of fringe players moved on in some capacity, with replacements of a similar standard to Davis and Broadhead brought in.

Luongo should be a given. Try for Hirst, not sure it will happen though. TJJ is obviously well thought of, although I don't feel I have seen enough of him to have a strong opinion either way.

I like Jes Rak-Sakyi a lot. Beyond that, I think we will be looking at other young lads in and around the Premier League. I like Colby Bishop, but can he make that step up from journeyman to Championship at 26/27?

Couldn't actually name many candidates to go though.
None of the 6 loanees are likely to figure for our first team next season, but they haven't this year either,so won't be replaced.
Keogh, Aluko and KVY are clearly on the way out, but again haven't really been involved since January. Only Keogh needs replacing
TJJ, Hirst and Luongo will be back.

So who else goes? We clearly like Edwards, who is young, under contract and had a good impact off the bench in key games. Fringe players like Jackson, Harness, Ball, Ladapo, Donacien are all players that McKenna has made positive decisions to keep or bring in. Edmundson and Evans are probably the only 2 with significant question marks for me.

It's hard to see why we'd move someone like Ladapo on for someone like Colby Bishop. We'll almost certainly take someone of Rak-Sakyi's profile on loan, but I wonder if we might want someone a levelup from that if we're in the loan market.
[Post edited 30 Apr 2023 17:53]

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 18:12 - Apr 30 with 1979 viewsWestover

I think Dom Ball will be used often probably from the bench if Mass signs a contract and remember he's played 90 games in the Championship for QPR and at 27 years old can still improve so I'm not sure that position is needed.
Login to get fewer ads

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 18:18 - Apr 30 with 1971 viewsOldFart71

Well let's start at a couple of players who will leave Keogh and I reckon KVY. Even if we keep Luongo I could see another player to challenge for his place. If Hirst isn't bought then obviously we will need to source someone else. As much as McKenna has shown faith in Jackson if restriction exist with regards squad size he could be allowed to move on. With regards to Lankester I am not sure. He was used only because we had no one else available and as soon as Luongo was fit Lankester dropped out. Sone Akuko could be another to depart. Therefore I could see three. maybe four come in and then depending on where we were come the next January window additions could again be brought in to make an impact.
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 18:20 - Apr 30 with 1968 viewsBoy_Railey

Hassan Kachloul
I think people are being a bit naive if they think we won’t look to strengthen on 18:59 - Apr 30 with 1913 viewsunstableblue

…. in 4 or 5 positions

McKenna will want very serious competition in all positions and higher championship level quality in the starting 11. This is building for a Premiership push.

As much as I love players like Jackson, Harness, Aluko, Evans… I don’t expect they’ll be around next season.

Loanees such as Penney, Harper and Ahadme will be moved out or paid off.

It will be very interesting what happens to Camara. He was one of our biggest signings.

I think Edwards has shown enough, but is a critical season for him. I hope he can do it.

Keogh as a coach. And Donacien as senior back up to Clarke, and an influence in the dressing room.

As much as I think Morsy is absolutely brilliant and Luongo also frankly superb, they become a little less dynamic and dominant in a much tougher league. I personally think El Miz and Humphreys as back up will be joined by a BIG centre mid signing.

I think Edmundson is better suited to Championship than Burgess, and if he recovers he may come back in, but is he left sided? Do we go back three in Championship? Wolfenden ahead of Edmundson and AN Other… but that is harsh on Burgess… he’s been excellent.

Davis can make it, same for Clarke… indeed Clarke has miles more improvement to come and is so physical… I think Leigh and Donacien are good enough in the wings… Leigh was superb at Barnsley

Then to the forwards… Burns, Ladapo and even bloody Chaplin may not be the level required!!!
Hirst must be signed and Broadhead is our true best player… we need that level in all positions.

Do we cash in on Ladapo? Buy another serious striker to challenge Hirst? And competition for Burns? edwards challenging Broadhead and Chaplin.

Decisions decisions… but I’d say centre back, centre mid, winger and striker incoming!!

Poll: How many points will Town get from 5 (Wat, Boro, Hull, Cov, Hudd)?

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:05 - Apr 30 with 1886 viewsSlippinJimmyJuan

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:49 - Apr 30 by jayessess

None of the 6 loanees are likely to figure for our first team next season, but they haven't this year either,so won't be replaced.
Keogh, Aluko and KVY are clearly on the way out, but again haven't really been involved since January. Only Keogh needs replacing

So who else goes? We clearly like Edwards, who is young, under contract and had a good impact off the bench in key games. Fringe players like Jackson, Harness, Ball, Ladapo, Donacien are all players that McKenna has made positive decisions to keep or bring in. Edmundson and Evans are probably the only 2 with significant question marks for me.

It's hard to see why we'd move someone like Ladapo on for someone like Colby Bishop. We'll almost certainly take someone of Rak-Sakyi's profile on loan, but I wonder if we might want someone a levelup from that if we're in the loan market.

To (try to) keep it short, and not including those already out on loan, I see Humphreys probably out on loan and I think Donacien and Hladky stay if they are happy to be back up.

I reckon these five will almost certainly move on:

Keogh
Aluko
KVY
Jackson
Evans

These four could be vulnerable depending on who is available, what their playing time expectations are and what we can get for them:

Ball
Burgess
Harness
Leigh

I honestly have no idea with Edmundson - is he down the pecking order because of fitness or would he have been out of the side anyway?

All of them have played a vital role in getting us up and they deserve our thanks to a man, but if the club think they can attract better then I don't think they will hesitate.

Does seem ruthless when you write it down like that though. In reality, there is a balancing act to perform. Can't knock the character of anyone listed there nor what they have done for us - anyone that comes in will need to live up to those high standards. You do have to keep reinventing squads, but it could feel a bit callous to discard so many players. In truth, I don't believe all of those listed will go, but I think a good percentage probably will.

I tend to agree on Bishop, I like him but I like Ladapo too, so if it came down to either/or, I'd stick with Fred.

Most importantly though, whatever McKenna decides to do with the squad, I'll back it. I'm not trying to hound anyone out, they've all put a monumental shift in and they'll forever have my gratitude.

Poll: What is your milk of choice?

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:11 - Apr 30 with 1853 viewscbower

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 18:18 - Apr 30 by OldFart71

Well let's start at a couple of players who will leave Keogh and I reckon KVY. Even if we keep Luongo I could see another player to challenge for his place. If Hirst isn't bought then obviously we will need to source someone else. As much as McKenna has shown faith in Jackson if restriction exist with regards squad size he could be allowed to move on. With regards to Lankester I am not sure. He was used only because we had no one else available and as soon as Luongo was fit Lankester dropped out. Sone Akuko could be another to depart. Therefore I could see three. maybe four come in and then depending on where we were come the next January window additions could again be brought in to make an impact.

Think you mean Humphreys not Lankester?

bluescouser

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:17 - Apr 30 with 1812 viewsNthQldITFC

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 09:15 - Apr 30 by Stu_boy

Max aarons would be an ok back up to wes burns and perhaps sara as back up in case broady or chappers need a rest

Not for me, seems to have a bad attitude when I've seen him play, and a massive, massive diver. Certainly wouldn't displace Burns/Clarke/Donacien.

As for the Sara, who the hell is she?

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:23 - Apr 30 with 1778 viewsNthQldITFC

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 10:50 - Apr 30 by wkj

I don't think you'll find we need a whole lot of players. Our squad is strong enough to make a serious impact in the Championship in my opinion

I think that's right, but I also think Gamechanger are going to push on and KMc will be happy to do so, which inevitably means some of this seasons heroes are going to have to move on to avoid squad bloat. It's harsh, really bloody harsh, but it will probably have to happen.

But as you said/implied, I'd be happy to go with pretty much the exact same squad we've got at the moment. Whatever happens, I'm sure it will be handled with aplomb!

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:23 - Apr 30 with 1777 viewssouthnorfolkblue

It isn’t a big step up with the squad we have. The standard isn’t great.

The bigger issue imho is that these owners are not interested in maintaining a place in the Championship - they want Premier League football…and they’ll be prepared to spend to achieve it. Hopefully they’ll give the majority of the squad a chance to build on the momentum of this season, but do not be surprised if we see some major upgrades.

Personally I’d be looking at least one CB (to replace Keogh and possibly Fridge), signing Hirst and another striker as un upgrade on Freddie. TJJ would make sense as a backup to Broady

Poll: Our final position

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:25 - Apr 30 with 1769 viewsBigCommon

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:05 - Apr 30 by SlippinJimmyJuan

To (try to) keep it short, and not including those already out on loan, I see Humphreys probably out on loan and I think Donacien and Hladky stay if they are happy to be back up.

I reckon these five will almost certainly move on:

Keogh
Aluko
KVY
Jackson
Evans

These four could be vulnerable depending on who is available, what their playing time expectations are and what we can get for them:

Ball
Burgess
Harness
Leigh

I honestly have no idea with Edmundson - is he down the pecking order because of fitness or would he have been out of the side anyway?

All of them have played a vital role in getting us up and they deserve our thanks to a man, but if the club think they can attract better then I don't think they will hesitate.

Does seem ruthless when you write it down like that though. In reality, there is a balancing act to perform. Can't knock the character of anyone listed there nor what they have done for us - anyone that comes in will need to live up to those high standards. You do have to keep reinventing squads, but it could feel a bit callous to discard so many players. In truth, I don't believe all of those listed will go, but I think a good percentage probably will.

I tend to agree on Bishop, I like him but I like Ladapo too, so if it came down to either/or, I'd stick with Fred.

Most importantly though, whatever McKenna decides to do with the squad, I'll back it. I'm not trying to hound anyone out, they've all put a monumental shift in and they'll forever have my gratitude.

Colby Bishop is not an upgrade on Ladapo, imo. Let alone anywhere near Hirst levels.. Think, in Hirst we can see what KM is really looking for in a front man. Quick, mobile, unselfish, workaholic that can finish if the chance comes...Not sure Bishop fits that description, if I'm honest... Although he is a decent target man, imo.
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:29 - Apr 30 with 1761 viewsNthQldITFC

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 18:12 - Apr 30 by Westover

I think Dom Ball will be used often probably from the bench if Mass signs a contract and remember he's played 90 games in the Championship for QPR and at 27 years old can still improve so I'm not sure that position is needed.

Agree, but we'll probably need a fourth dominator as cover in there over the course of the season. If we don't go for Taylor or similar, I'd be looking at loaning El Miz out to a good League One side, with a cast iron return clause in January if he has a good first half of the season again.

But we'll probably buy in there, won't we?

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:47 - Apr 30 with 1704 viewsMillsey

Having read some of the comments on this subject, thank goodness we’ve got a management team in place lol
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 20:16 - Apr 30 with 1623 viewsLeoMuff

If we have learnt anything from the Cook clearout changes will be small and gradual, I think we will give most a chance to show how they compete at the next level, which I thought was the big spend justification in Lg 1, wouldn’t be surprised if we got a silly offer for Davis, or maybe Wolf.

I think Harness, KVY, Keogh, Jackson and Evans will possibly move on.

The only Muff in Town.
Poll: Lamberts rotational policy has left us....

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 20:30 - Apr 30 with 1575 viewsWakh

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:08 - Apr 30 by xrayspecs

I think there will be more change than most fans expect. MA made some comment about transfer targets changing significantly if we get back to the Champ.

I think we need much more than a few tweaks to the squad if we want to be competitive next season.

Not sure why this got downvoted. The comments made by Ashton and others suggested exactly what Xray said - some significant transfer targets and activity
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 20:30 - Apr 30 with 1575 viewscressi

Jerry Yates Blackpool available for a quid now there relegated will Keane 2 quid
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 20:41 - Apr 30 with 1534 viewsWakh

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 17:49 - Apr 30 by jayessess

Ashton is a wheeler dealer. Whether KMc has said positive things about individuals or not I would imagine any of those on the fringes will be moved on if the right deal can be done.

Would imagine we would be trying to buy the likes of Rak Sakyi
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 20:44 - Apr 30 with 1513 views765765

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 19:47 - Apr 30 by Millsey

Having read some of the comments on this subject, thank goodness we’ve got a management team in place lol

Yes agreed, controversial for a message board I know but I feel happy with an approach of "the manager seems to know what he is doing, I'll trust him and see what happens". This team have earned the right to start next season unchanged haven't they, they are so far above the rest of this division that surely it's not a risk to change anyone?
Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 20:49 - Apr 30 with 1480 viewsVic

Suggestions on who to sign next season? on 09:18 - Apr 30 by nodge_blue

Hirst if we can is a must. If we can't get him Id go for Bishop from Portsmouth.

But I wouldn't be surprised if we aren't tracking a few more like cClarke. PL players not in the first team picture but with huge potential.

Agreed - they’ll have been drawing up a list of potentials for a while now. There will be no knee jerk reaction signing. KM will know exactly who he wants and why. Who will be on his list? I’ve no idea - most of his signings so far have been done with minimal upfront notice.

Poll: Right now, who would you rather have as Prime Minister?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024