Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has 11:52 - May 19 with 1810 viewsArnieM

“Are the EFL play offs fair”?
Good arguments here I think …. Have a look

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 11:58 - May 19 with 1761 viewsJ2BLUE

They are 100% fair because everyone knows the plan before the season starts. Do you think Plymouth were objecting to the play offs before the season started? I doubt it, yes if they finished third it would be unfair.

When everyone knows what happens going in there's nothing to complain about.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 12:00 - May 19 with 1747 viewsVaughan8

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 11:58 - May 19 by J2BLUE

They are 100% fair because everyone knows the plan before the season starts. Do you think Plymouth were objecting to the play offs before the season started? I doubt it, yes if they finished third it would be unfair.

Agreed. Everyone knows what is going to happen at the start so I wouldn't say they are unfair.

I've said before I like the National League way of doing it, where the higher teams get home advantage in a one off game, so I think they could be "fairer"
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 12:10 - May 19 with 1718 viewsTractorFrog

In a sport like football when all fans predominantly care about just one team, the playoffs are a necessity to keep things interesting. Without them, the games would all have become dead rubber for every team from Bolton downwards very quickly, apart from the bottom few, and it just makes things a lot more boring. Almost all fans would be as bored as Birmingham City fans every year.

Also, arguably beating another top team in a high-pressure match is more worthy of a promotion than edging them out by a single point over a season. It looks harsh for Wednesday this year having to play Peterborough who they comfortably beat in the league (but then they should be expected to beat them in the playoffs), but also remember that the team in 7th ends up with the same situation, in terms of promotion, as the team in 20th.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 12:59 - May 19 with 1640 viewsEastTownBlue

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 12:00 - May 19 by Vaughan8

Agreed. Everyone knows what is going to happen at the start so I wouldn't say they are unfair.

I've said before I like the National League way of doing it, where the higher teams get home advantage in a one off game, so I think they could be "fairer"

The National League system can be viewed as fairer while providing an additional two teams a chance at the play offs.

Sky's new TV deal with the EFL mentions all 15 play offs per season will be televised so it won't be changing anytime soon.
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 13:02 - May 19 with 1630 viewsxrayspecs

Perfectly fair, and we have had same rules for a long time now, so everyone know the score.

It is unusual for the third placed team to get so many points and not be in the automatic places. If that was not the case and the four play off teams were separated by a few points, we would not be having this discussion.

EDIT: should have added that current approach provides advantages to higher placed sides. If you finish third you play sixth placed team, and have second leg at home.
[Post edited 19 May 2023 14:10]
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 13:20 - May 19 with 1592 viewsYou_Bloo_Right

I will again refernce my understanding of the Serie B play offs - or at least some aspects of it.

If the third placed team are 10 or more points clear of 4th then no playoffs.
Otherwise all teams within 14 points of 3rd (up to a max of 6 teams in total including those in 3rd place) enter the playoff system.

Fill your boots from there as to how you'd organise the games but I do like that idea.

Poll: Are this group of ITFC players the best squad in the division?

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 13:35 - May 19 with 1554 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

All teams know the format at the start of the season. And yesterday showed why it works so well.

Football is full of disparities, some will argue its not fair that we pretty much spent more this season than the rest of the league combined.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 13:51 - May 19 with 1509 viewsTractorFrog

I think an improvement would be to have 5 vs 6 at 5’s ground, winner plays against 4 at 4’s ground, and the winner plays against 3 at Wembley.

They'd all laugh at me if they knew what I was trying to do. To create a new strain of super-wine in half-an-hour with a fraction of nature's resources and a FOOL for an assistant. 'Bernard Black, he's mad,' they'd say, 'he's insane, he's dangerous.' Well I'll show them! I'll show them all!
Poll: What hurt more?

Login to get fewer ads

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 14:25 - May 19 with 1452 viewsArnieM

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 11:58 - May 19 by J2BLUE

Er, I personally, wasn’t complaining at all. Just saw this and thought people might be interested in his comments ….

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 14:58 - May 19 with 1384 viewsFtnfwest

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 13:51 - May 19 by TractorFrog

I think an improvement would be to have 5 vs 6 at 5’s ground, winner plays against 4 at 4’s ground, and the winner plays against 3 at Wembley.

The thing is you could do all that or any other permutation and 6th could still beat 3rd in the final. Thinks its fine as it is tbh
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 16:00 - May 19 with 1328 viewsstrikalite

I just think that the team that finishes third should have some advantage for doing so, maybe they play the 6th place team at home only?

Don't like the pens to be honest, to place that on the shoulders of one player(as it often is)in a team sport with up to £100m at stake isn't right, it didn't matter so much 50 years ago or whenever they were introduced, far more at stake these days..
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 16:04 - May 19 with 1322 viewsSawtrich

Obviously they're not fair but they're here to stay because they create interest and therefore cash.

Saying everyone knows at the start of the season so they're fair is utter nonsense. You could make anything up before the season starts! Top 10 are all in play offs, 1st v 2nd, 3rd v 4th, 5th v 6th, 7th v 8th, 9th v 10th. Semi finals come from the 5 winners with one team missing out in a random draw. Everyone knows at the start of the season though, so no complaints.
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 07:07 - May 20 with 1186 viewsPioneerBlue

Fair. Keeps promotion hopes alive for P3-8 or even 10 ish all the way to the end of the season or at least late into final weeks of season. Great entertainment. I don’t think preferring P3 with a pass to Wembley works, they would have nearly 1 month between last league game and Wembley final whereas all others would be playing competing and keeping sharp. I don’t think P3 playing third from bottom from the league above works, the gaps due to money would probably result in no change most times - teams need a transfer window to make additions to set themselves for the season to come.

Blog: Ipswich Ramblings

Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 09:09 - May 20 with 1119 viewsCheshire_Tractor

I think it arguable whether playing over 2 legs is as much of an advantage to the better team than having a single leg at home.

The only tweak I'd consider is scrapping the penalty shoot out. If they can't be separated after 210 minutes league position should come into play. Both teams would know this from the start and the lower team have to win to take the place from the higher team.
[Post edited 20 May 2023 9:13]
Not sure if this has been posted so apologies if it has on 10:24 - May 20 with 1069 viewsAsa

I would love to see a seeding system and home advantage because it’s fairer.

But the playoffs are perfectly fair. Teams know at the start of the season whether they finish bottom or third from bottom they are relegated. Whether they finish 3rd or 5th then it’s the playoffs.

The goalposts aren’t moving mid-season. A team finishing 3rd this season like Wednesday have finished 6th before and ended up in the same situation. It happens.

Teams that finish third don’t go mad that they can’t also be promoted and it’s unfair because they got enough points to win it another year. They didn’t go up, so where they finish below that is irrelevant to automatic promotion. The top two, the playoff six and the bottom four in League One carry the same prize or punishment regardless of where you finish the within them.

There should definitely be some advantage to finishing higher up. I’d rather that the winner of 5th v 6th goes to 4th and the winner meets 3rd in the final.

There’s no perfect answer though. You can’t have moving goalposts one year when 3rd just misses out and are 20 points ahead of 6th and then something different the next year when 3rd finish 20 below automatic promotion and only a point above 7th.
[Post edited 20 May 2023 10:30]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024