Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. 11:53 - Jun 21 with 2412 viewsMattinLondon

On Tuesday, Ronaldo won his 200th cap for Portugal. I’m not particularly interested in the rather childish GOAT arguments. But reaching that milestone is extremely impressive - well done him.
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 11:56 - Jun 21 with 2367 viewsJ2BLUE

Agree, he's an all time great.

Not sure the debate is childish. Surely every sport has the same debate? As a club, we even had a statue made of our greatest ever player.

At this point though, how do you separate Ronaldo and Messi? Pointless trying but many will have a go.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:03 - Jun 21 with 2315 viewsGeoffSentence

Hardly seems fair that they did this.....

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:11 - Jun 21 with 2283 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 11:56 - Jun 21 by J2BLUE

Not sure the debate is childish. Surely every sport has the same debate? As a club, we even had a statue made of our greatest ever player.

At this point though, how do you separate Ronaldo and Messi? Pointless trying but many will have a go.

Childish was probably the wrong word to use.
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:11 - Jun 21 with 2270 viewschicoazul

There is no debate, at least where Ronaldo is concerned.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!
Poll: With Evans taking 65% in Huddersfield, is the Banter Era over?

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:17 - Jun 21 with 2246 viewschicoazul

Messi won the World Cup almost single handed after giving one of the all time great Final performances. The only time Ronaldo was in anything like as high profile a game he got injured. I can’t believe anyone seriously compares the two anymore. It’s like comparing David Gregory with John Wark.

In the spirit of reconciliation and happiness at the end of the Banter Era (RIP) and as a result of promotion I have cleared out my ignore list. Look forwards to reading your posts!

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:20 - Jun 21 with 2250 viewsTRUE_BLUE123

Messi is a vastly superior footballer. Achievements wise Messi is slightly ahead.

Ronaldo is incredible, an all time great. But not on the same planet as Messi imo.

Poll: Will Paul Lambert be Ipswich Town manager on the final day of this season ?

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 13:46 - Jun 21 with 2136 viewsAYACCA

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:20 - Jun 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

Messi is a vastly superior footballer. Achievements wise Messi is slightly ahead.

Ronaldo is incredible, an all time great. But not on the same planet as Messi imo.

I've always seen Messi as a Maradona or Pele, pure natural talent. Ronaldo is not as naturally talented but probably the most hard working dedicated footballer I have seen.
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 13:49 - Jun 21 with 2116 viewspositivity

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 13:46 - Jun 21 by AYACCA

I've always seen Messi as a Maradona or Pele, pure natural talent. Ronaldo is not as naturally talented but probably the most hard working dedicated footballer I have seen.

apart from jay tabb

Poll: do you do judo and/or do you do voodoo?

Login to get fewer ads

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 15:32 - Jun 21 with 1960 viewscressi

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 13:46 - Jun 21 by AYACCA

We all have our favourites football is very different now players probably over protected, But as you say I don't believe the most natural player but definitely worked harder than most to get in such fantastic shape and stay in it a top top player,
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 15:55 - Jun 21 with 1913 viewsWeirdFishes

The greatest compliment you can give to Ronaldo is that he made it a conversation. Ronaldo is clearly fantastic, world-class.

Messi is from another universe.

TWTD Participant
Poll: Who's Worse?

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 16:23 - Jun 21 with 1878 viewsBlueBadger

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:11 - Jun 21 by chicoazul

There is no debate, at least where Ronaldo is concerned.

Fat Ronaldo>Falls over a lot Ronaldo.

I'm one of the people who was blamed for getting Paul Cook sacked. PM for the full post.
Poll: What will Phil's first headline be tomorrow?
Blog: From Despair to Where?

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 17:42 - Jun 21 with 1795 viewschicoazul

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:17 - Jun 21 by chicoazul

Messi won the World Cup almost single handed after giving one of the all time great Final performances. The only time Ronaldo was in anything like as high profile a game he got injured. I can’t believe anyone seriously compares the two anymore. It’s like comparing David Gregory with John Wark.

See David Gregory’s anon account has downvoted this, sorry David but you get the point.

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 19:29 - Jun 21 with 1733 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 16:23 - Jun 21 by BlueBadger

Fat Ronaldo>Falls over a lot Ronaldo.

Anyone who cannot appreciate how great a player Cristiano Ronaldo knows little about football. And probably thinks Skuse was a good player 😊
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 19:40 - Jun 21 with 1701 viewsStewart27

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 12:20 - Jun 21 by TRUE_BLUE123

Messi and Ronaldo are by far the 2 best footballers of all time.

Messi edges number one in my opinion.
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 20:01 - Jun 21 with 1672 viewschicoazul

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 19:40 - Jun 21 by Stewart27

Cruyff Pele Maradona di Stefano all superior to Ronaldo and Zidane Best Michael Laudrup Platini Iniesta and Xavi all his equals at least.

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 20:08 - Jun 21 with 1671 viewscressi

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 19:40 - Jun 21 by Stewart27

Don't agree with that statement In 1986 Maradona carried Argentina to win the World Cup v England in the quarters and as good a performance you can see v Belgium scored both goals then set up winning goal in the final Messi and Ronaldo best in their era , But never played against Gentile or Ratten or players of that elk
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 20:29 - Jun 21 with 1644 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 20:08 - Jun 21 by cressi

Don't agree with that statement In 1986 Maradona carried Argentina to win the World Cup v England in the quarters and as good a performance you can see v Belgium scored both goals then set up winning goal in the final Messi and Ronaldo best in their era , But never played against Gentile or Ratten or players of that elk

Comparing players across different eras is an almost impossible task.

In Ronaldo’s defence every match that he has played - certainly since his Man U days has been captured by dozens of TV cameras. There’s been no hiding place and his levels of consistency has been amazing. Contrast this to players of the 60s, 70s and possibly 80s who could have played well in a televised match and then ok in the next ten that weren’t televised and people would go to the televised match to form their opinion.

Players in the 60s, 70s right through to the 90s had to play against carthorse defenders who frequently kicked and stamped on the more skilful player - Ronaldo probably hadn’t had to put up with a lot of that compared to days past.

It’s impossible to really compare like-for-like but anyone Ronaldo is definitely world class plus. Without a doubt.
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 21:38 - Jun 21 with 1581 viewsStewart27

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 20:08 - Jun 21 by cressi

Yawn.

Maradona hand balled one of those goals. Messi has now won a World Cup.

Messi’a stats are far more superior in the modern era where the game has progressed so much.
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 21:41 - Jun 21 with 1574 viewsStewart27

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 19:29 - Jun 21 by MattinLondon

Anyone who cannot appreciate how great a player Cristiano Ronaldo knows little about football. And probably thinks Skuse was a good player 😊

You’re right about Ronaldo.

I don’t think anybody ever thought Skuse was a good player!
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 21:51 - Jun 21 with 1560 viewsSwansea_Blue

Not bad. The lad’s done good.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 23:22 - Jun 21 with 1499 viewsrickw

I would prefer Messi, but to all those who belittle Ronaldo, he is the all time:-
Top International Scorer
Top Champions League Scorer
Top Euro's Scorer
Top overall Scorer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_500_or_more_goals

He hasn't done badly for himself - however nobody knows it more than he does...
[Post edited 21 Jun 2023 23:24]

Poll: Of the Non Favourites for ITFC managers job who would you prefer
Blog: Reasons for Relegation

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 07:08 - Jun 22 with 1411 viewscressi

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 23:22 - Jun 21 by rickw

I would prefer Messi, but to all those who belittle Ronaldo, he is the all time:-
Top International Scorer
Top Champions League Scorer
Top Euro's Scorer
Top overall Scorer https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_footballers_with_500_or_more_goals

He hasn't done badly for himself - however nobody knows it more than he does...
[Post edited 21 Jun 2023 23:24]

We probably all agree But it's not all about goals that makes a player great its the impact he has on his team how when things aren't going well he rallies his team mates and generally wins of course has to also have outstanding ability as well.
Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 09:19 - Jun 22 with 1350 viewsGeoffSentence

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 21:38 - Jun 21 by Stewart27

Yawn.

Maradona hand balled one of those goals. Messi has now won a World Cup.

Messi’a stats are far more superior in the modern era where the game has progressed so much.

Second one should have been a free kick to England at the beginning of the move too. Neither would have counted in the age of VAR.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 10:16 - Jun 22 with 1313 viewsMattinLondon

Cristiano Ronaldo - a magnificent achievement. on 09:19 - Jun 22 by GeoffSentence

Second one should have been a free kick to England at the beginning of the move too. Neither would have counted in the age of VAR.

In the age of VAR, Maradona would have been far more protection compared to that era - especially from the rather cowardly off-the-ball elbow which he received in that match.

Football moves very quickly so it’s kinda hard to impose todays norms on past matches and vice versa as well.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2023 10:25]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024