Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric car batteries 23:28 - Jul 4 with 1871 viewsHARRY10

Some good news as, "make a solid-state battery with a range of 1,200km (745 miles) that could charge in 10 minutes or less "

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2023/jul/04/toyota-claims-battery-breakthro

However, it comes with reservations that this might be just advertising puff, and what has been developed is yet to be clarified.

But as with solar panels there will be improvements, as the batteries become smaller, and cheaper.
Electric car batteries on 06:33 - Jul 5 with 1714 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

The world has been waiting for a breakthrough in solid state batteries, so if this is really it, and not just marketing hype from Toyota, that is the gamechanger we've been waiting for.

Poll: would you rather

Electric car batteries on 12:33 - Jul 5 with 1518 viewsFreddies_Ears

Electric car batteries on 06:33 - Jul 5 by LegendofthePhoenix

The world has been waiting for a breakthrough in solid state batteries, so if this is really it, and not just marketing hype from Toyota, that is the gamechanger we've been waiting for.

A real world range of over 600 miles is my game changer. Charge time less important, as very few trips would need an on-the-road top-up.
Electric car batteries on 14:19 - Jul 5 with 1433 viewsGuthrum

Electric car batteries on 12:33 - Jul 5 by Freddies_Ears

A real world range of over 600 miles is my game changer. Charge time less important, as very few trips would need an on-the-road top-up.

Very few petrol cars have a real-world range that far. 300-400 miles is more realistic on a single tank, driving normally, in traffic and without draining to the last drop.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Electric car batteries on 14:25 - Jul 5 with 1422 viewsGeoffSentence

Electric car batteries on 14:19 - Jul 5 by Guthrum

Very few petrol cars have a real-world range that far. 300-400 miles is more realistic on a single tank, driving normally, in traffic and without draining to the last drop.

But it only takes a couple of minutes to fill up a petrol tank.

Don't boil a kettle on a boat.
Poll: The best Williams to play for Town

Electric car batteries on 14:27 - Jul 5 with 1420 viewssticklegs

What is needed is the technology to exchange batteries. You pull into the 'battery' station and for a fee, swap your near empty battery for a charged up one. That must the future as it will do away with all the home charging issues. They just need to get smaller!
Electric car batteries on 22:10 - Jul 5 with 1297 viewsHARRY10

Electric car batteries on 14:27 - Jul 5 by sticklegs

What is needed is the technology to exchange batteries. You pull into the 'battery' station and for a fee, swap your near empty battery for a charged up one. That must the future as it will do away with all the home charging issues. They just need to get smaller!

Yes, much like how they did with the old Routemaster (bus). In the garage, take out the engine, fit in a serviced one while the old one then gets serviced

I wonder how much this will help

"A huge phosphate rock deposit discovered in Norway contains enough minerals to meet the global demand for batteries and solar panels for the next 100 years, according to the mining company that controls it."

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/norway-phosphate-mineral-solar-panels-battery

It also addresses the security aspect, as up till as

"Russia previously controlled the world’s largest ultra-pure phosphate rock deposits ....... with China, Iraq and Syria also home to large deposits."

Not any more, it would seem.
Electric car batteries on 22:13 - Jul 5 with 1291 viewsSwansea_Blue

Electric car batteries on 06:33 - Jul 5 by LegendofthePhoenix

Toyota also have a world-leading hydrogen programme apparently. They’re supposed to be sinking far more resource into it than into batteries. All very confusing.

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

Electric car batteries on 10:44 - Jul 7 with 1124 viewsEly_Blue

Electric car batteries on 14:25 - Jul 5 by GeoffSentence

But it only takes a couple of minutes to fill up a petrol tank.

I assume you can fill your car up whilst you’re asleep in your bed at night?

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

Login to get fewer ads

Electric car batteries on 11:24 - Jul 7 with 1083 viewsMookamoo

Electric car batteries on 14:27 - Jul 5 by sticklegs

Friend of mine who works on car development spends a lot of time testing batteries and he pointed out how heavy they are at the moment and said it would take a few years to get to the point where you could swap them out.

He also pointed out how much worse the road surfaces are going to get with all the heavier vehicles about and how nobody seems to have factored that in.
Electric car batteries on 11:30 - Jul 7 with 1049 viewssoupytwist

Electric car batteries on 22:10 - Jul 5 by HARRY10

Yes, much like how they did with the old Routemaster (bus). In the garage, take out the engine, fit in a serviced one while the old one then gets serviced

"A huge phosphate rock deposit discovered in Norway contains enough minerals to meet the global demand for batteries and solar panels for the next 100 years, according to the mining company that controls it."

https://www.independent.co.uk/tech/norway-phosphate-mineral-solar-panels-battery

"Russia previously controlled the world’s largest ultra-pure phosphate rock deposits ....... with China, Iraq and Syria also home to large deposits."

Flippin' Norway. They're already benefiting from the wise use of their North Sea oil deposits thanks to them sensibly setting up the sovereign wealth fund. Now they're going to have even more money.
Electric car batteries on 15:07 - Jul 7 with 980 viewsronnyd

Electric car batteries on 22:10 - Jul 5 by HARRY10

If it had been discovered here in the UK, our lot would have probably flogged it off to the Chinese.
Electric car batteries on 15:22 - Jul 7 with 963 viewstonybied

Electric car batteries on 11:24 - Jul 7 by Mookamoo

Friend of mine who works on car development spends a lot of time testing batteries and he pointed out how heavy they are at the moment and said it would take a few years to get to the point where you could swap them out.

He also pointed out how much worse the road surfaces are going to get with all the heavier vehicles about and how nobody seems to have factored that in.

"He also pointed out how much worse the road surfaces are going to get with all the heavier vehicles about and how nobody seems to have factored that in."

Not sure about where you live but here in the midlands most of our roads are turning into hardcore already, not sure how much worse they could get!
Electric car batteries on 15:27 - Jul 7 with 944 viewsBig_Jase

Next problem is figuring out how to charge them for terraced housing etc. Where I live in IP4 it’s permit parking but after 6pm it’s chaos and the likelihood of getting your car anywhere near your property is slim to none. My current employer keep trying to switch my company vehicle to a electric car but I keep having to explain I have nowhere to charge it.

Poll: Who would actually care if Norwich responded with a plane banner?

Electric car batteries on 15:29 - Jul 7 with 939 viewsOldsmoker

Electric car batteries on 11:24 - Jul 7 by Mookamoo

The extra weight has met with a Meh from this Tory government.
Luckily we build bridges to withstand a max weight + 25% for good measure.

The USA however, have highlighted that their crumbling infrastructure of highways and bridges cannot withstand the extra weight of current traffic loads if all the cars were electric not petrol/diesel.
Biden has passed an infrastructure bill to help to rebuild some bridges but if a Republican President is next then you can kiss goodbye to anymore infrastructure investment as the Republicans only do tax breaks for the rich and corporations. Trickle down economics innit - or is that trickle something else on your head?
[Post edited 7 Jul 2023 15:30]

Don't believe a word I say. I'm only kidding. Or am I?
Poll: What mode is best?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024