Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
VAR 10:10 - Aug 14 with 1152 viewsMancBlue86

Needs to be changed as of next season. It really is simple, whole of the body, excluding arm’s as you cant score with them anyway, surely that would make for easier, less frequent checks. It needs to speed up too, surely the tech stretches to be able to watch the game with permanent green/red lines.

Poll: Who should be in goal tommorow?

VAR on 10:47 - Aug 14 with 1064 viewsCheltenham_Blue

That's what they are trialing in a number of countries at the moment.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

VAR on 10:49 - Aug 14 with 1055 viewsbrazil1982

Pundits, media, players, managers and fans have been screaming for video evidence for years. This is what they have got, this is what it means. Managers and pundits have spent years moaning about poor decisions and calling for video - now they don't like it. TOUGH.

This is light touch. I believe in twenty years we will have two referees on the pitch to "guide" the players - assistants will be done away with, with video monitoring everything, especially throws, corners, offside - anything from a sideline. The game will become incredibly clinical.
VAR on 10:50 - Aug 14 with 1051 viewsiamatractorboy

Not sure how that would help, it just changes where the line goes. The issue is more with the precision, surely? Make the lines thicker and it'll speed it up. If they overlap, onside.
VAR on 10:51 - Aug 14 with 1047 viewsTractorWood

Not sure this helps as you are just changing the line to a different spot on the body. Ie this season someone is offside by a toenail and next season they will be offside by their body and a toenail.....

For fwiw, I really like VAR and goal line tec. Gets rid of the criminal injustices we use to see ie Lampard vs Germany.
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 10:52]

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

VAR on 10:52 - Aug 14 with 1028 viewsiamatractorboy

VAR on 10:51 - Aug 14 by TractorWood

Not sure this helps as you are just changing the line to a different spot on the body. Ie this season someone is offside by a toenail and next season they will be offside by their body and a toenail.....

For fwiw, I really like VAR and goal line tec. Gets rid of the criminal injustices we use to see ie Lampard vs Germany.

Exactly
VAR on 10:56 - Aug 14 with 1007 viewsJammyDodgerrr

VAR on 10:47 - Aug 14 by Cheltenham_Blue

That's what they are trialing in a number of countries at the moment.

Feels like if this comes in, it will massively change the game. A huge advantage to the attacker.

Poll: How many Loanees would you like in the team next season?
Blog: [Blog] What Happened to Our Star Number Nine?

VAR on 11:06 - Aug 14 with 946 viewsEly_Blue

Surely just needs to be any part of the body that you can legally score with, be that head, leg or torso but not an arm. The whole “needs to be the whole body” farce will throw up as many issues as the current rule does

Poll: Will you still buy a Season Ticket for next year in league 1

VAR on 11:35 - Aug 14 with 865 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

VAR on 10:56 - Aug 14 by JammyDodgerrr

Feels like if this comes in, it will massively change the game. A huge advantage to the attacker.

Macauley Bonne approves.
Login to get fewer ads

VAR on 11:40 - Aug 14 with 852 viewsBluroo

VAR on 10:50 - Aug 14 by iamatractorboy

Not sure how that would help, it just changes where the line goes. The issue is more with the precision, surely? Make the lines thicker and it'll speed it up. If they overlap, onside.

Precisely.

Although at least all those goals where a toe nail or a nose hair are in front of the defender would count... I prefer the benefit to go to the attacking team and at least this change would facilitate that.
VAR on 11:48 - Aug 14 with 813 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

VAR on 10:49 - Aug 14 by brazil1982

Pundits, media, players, managers and fans have been screaming for video evidence for years. This is what they have got, this is what it means. Managers and pundits have spent years moaning about poor decisions and calling for video - now they don't like it. TOUGH.

This is light touch. I believe in twenty years we will have two referees on the pitch to "guide" the players - assistants will be done away with, with video monitoring everything, especially throws, corners, offside - anything from a sideline. The game will become incredibly clinical.

I think most people wanted goal line technology, to determine whether a ball went in or not, this is over regulated, nonsense and deliberately convoluted to allow the big teams to still get away with nonsense and cause enough drama for the arm chair fans to remain engaged and subscribed. It's absolutely naff all to do with sport or being fair.
VAR on 11:53 - Aug 14 with 798 viewsDarth_Koont

VAR on 10:56 - Aug 14 by JammyDodgerrr

True. But about time as defending teams have had it far too easy at crowding and compressing the play.

With forwards able to keep defensive lines much more honest and force them deeper it will take that dominant and fairly destructive advantage away. And helping attacking sides stretch the play and defences *should* make for more open games, more chances in the attacking third and ultimately more reward for attacking teams.

Fingers crossed it works well in the trial and we see it rolled out for English football next year.

Pronouns: He/Him

VAR on 12:25 - Aug 14 with 750 viewsGarv

If 'changed' could be stretched to mean scrapped, then I agree.

Poll: Pick a goal to win the derby in stoppage time...

VAR on 13:07 - Aug 14 with 686 viewsBluJu

They're just moving the red line to a different point - but the decision on whether the "whole body" is in front still has to be made, just the same as "any part of" or whatever it is now, surely?

The argument will just be renamed, but basically we'll still be debating whether x was past the line or not.

In Cheltenham Blue's reply & the official example photo, what if the player has his shirt tucked in and shorts pulled right up, vs. long untucked shirt over his arse? Will long style shorts give an advantage? etc... Where does the "whole body" start?!

I've often thought that a red line plus a trailing area behind it for a margin of error should be used to account for blurred imagery and the frame rate of the tech etc. Loads of times you see a freeze frame at the "moment the ball is kicked" but the ball is a smudge and it was kicked a fraction before or after the point in time the red line represents. Hence the red line should be equally as fuzzy and more forgiving. It's impossible to make it as accurate as the clear-cut goal line technology.
VAR on 13:12 - Aug 14 with 675 viewsMeadowlark

I have a question.

Is "onside" a real word now?
VAR on 13:43 - Aug 14 with 640 viewsStewart27

VAR on 10:51 - Aug 14 by TractorWood

Completely. I said as much on a different thread.

Why is it ok to be offside by a subjective amount of space? It’ll need to be the same space for everyone in every game so we will draw to the same conclusions.

Offside is offside. It’s black and white nowadays.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024