Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight 11:52 - Aug 15 with 5588 viewsthe_toff

Colchester v Wimbledon in L2. I'm not expecting a lot but how bad will it be?

£27.75 for the privilege as well. The under 11 goes free though so not too bad I guess when you consider it as a pair.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 19:26 - Aug 15 with 1754 viewsJrm_72

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 19:02 - Aug 15 by burnbudgiesburn

The better he does the more chance of a sale.

He's actually a decent L1 frontman, I don't think i've ever seen anyone give Woolfy such a hard time.

Could Cambridge afford £200k? I think that's what we were rumoured to have paid for him, I heard it wasn't a massive fee.

Never know, tears it up in league one and add a nought to that. Ive always wondered if turning a quick buck was the point, never meant to be a player here.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 19:44 - Aug 15 with 1722 viewsSharkey

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 18:47 - Aug 15 by Jrm_72

Im at Cambridge vs Stevenage tonight. "Top of the table" clash and a chance to see how our boy Ahadme is getting on.
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 18:47]

Almost a 'derby' that one, and I guess a a large Stevenage turnout. There seem to be loads of the semi-local fixtures tonight; I'm sure the computer saves the really nasty long away trips for the darkest days of winter.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:13 - Aug 15 with 1661 viewsthe_toff

So in answer to my original question, VERY! That was absolutely dire. Comically bad. No atmosphere at all, either before or during. Absolutely turgid football, no quality on show at all. A stark reminder of just how good we have it watching Town at the moment when you see what they have to witness. Those poor Colchester fans exposing themselves to the Stoke match, I think I would bury my head in the sand at the chasm if I felt that level of animosity towards Ipswich. It would be like us watching Arsenal to laugh at them.

I looked out for Bandeira as suggested, one of the worst performances from a professional footballer that I’ve seen. Ever. Long season for the U’s I fear.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:38 - Aug 15 with 1598 viewsDinnernotTea

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 12:32 - Aug 15 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

They were singing "Ipswich get battered" at us at Colchester station, from the other side of the station, before going quiet when joining us on the train, not taking in that even in Colchester (and Essex) they are still in a minority, once off the train they were signing anti-Ipswich songs at Ipswich station and then added in a few Colchester chants. It was just very weird, it would be like us going to West Ham (a close team, but non-rival) to support Aston Villa against them and giving it large about Ipswich. Fair enough, go to the game if you have a free day and enjoy as a neutral, many of us do that at clubs we are near or have friends who support, but to turn up in numbers to back Stoke... odd... just odd.

However, the Stoke fans mixed in with us fine and were good to chat to.

This is weird on so many levels but the strangest part of this is why didn't they visits pubs like Bar 21, Curve Bar or The Falcon to get a rise out of Ipswich fans? For instance there would be loads of lads in those pubs happy to talk about their hatred of Ipswich.

Why do you all that but not head into town to show what you're about?

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:49 - Aug 15 with 1560 viewsgainsboroughblue

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:38 - Aug 15 by DinnernotTea

This is weird on so many levels but the strangest part of this is why didn't they visits pubs like Bar 21, Curve Bar or The Falcon to get a rise out of Ipswich fans? For instance there would be loads of lads in those pubs happy to talk about their hatred of Ipswich.

Probably not old enough to drink.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:49 - Aug 15 with 1560 viewsDubtractor

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 14:10 - Aug 15 by Sharkey

I hope you both enjoy the game.

A clash of two recent Charlton managers, and even though Johnny Jackson is an almost-legend at Colchester, I think the U's have the better one.

I'll be interested to hear your report on 'how bad can it be', but in theory Tchamadeu and now Taylor should be worth watching. As someone else here notes , the lad from Arsenal in midfield looks tidy, and you'll probably get to compare the young Southampton central defender with whatever you've seen of Baggott. On the other hand, I think most people think Colchester are crying out for a good defensive midfielder having sold two in the last two years (at a healthy profit.)

And as you'll probably be there until about 10.30 you can't say it's not value for money!
[Post edited 15 Aug 2023 14:32]

Surprised to see you rate Garner - or is it that you don't rate Jackson?!

Garner has done a pretty poor job at 2 of his 3 clubs before Colchester, and the signs aren't looking good at Colchester either.

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 10:46 - Aug 16 with 1357 viewsSharkey

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:49 - Aug 15 by Dubtractor

Surprised to see you rate Garner - or is it that you don't rate Jackson?!

Garner has done a pretty poor job at 2 of his 3 clubs before Colchester, and the signs aren't looking good at Colchester either.

First off, that was awful last night. I think the kindest word for the football would be 'lumpen'.

I thought Garner really lifted the team last season after the turgid football that Bloomfield played. But I must admit, really I'm rating him more based on the opinion of people 'within the game' who are far more knowledgeable than I am and whose opinion I value. Jackson I don't really know much about as a manager, although obviously I admired him as a player and as a captain.

There was certainly nothing good on show last night. The only caveat might be that surely a holding midfielder as a replacement for Ashley (sold to Salford) and Skuse must be on his way before the end of the month. But a bit like with Town (at a different level obviously), it remains to be seen if significant upgrades can be made this late in the window, even if there is some cash to splash.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 11:46 - Aug 16 with 1315 viewsthe_toff

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 10:46 - Aug 16 by Sharkey

First off, that was awful last night. I think the kindest word for the football would be 'lumpen'.

I thought Garner really lifted the team last season after the turgid football that Bloomfield played. But I must admit, really I'm rating him more based on the opinion of people 'within the game' who are far more knowledgeable than I am and whose opinion I value. Jackson I don't really know much about as a manager, although obviously I admired him as a player and as a captain.

There was certainly nothing good on show last night. The only caveat might be that surely a holding midfielder as a replacement for Ashley (sold to Salford) and Skuse must be on his way before the end of the month. But a bit like with Town (at a different level obviously), it remains to be seen if significant upgrades can be made this late in the window, even if there is some cash to splash.

Do you support Colchester Sharkey? Or are you both Col and Town?

Thought they were torn a new one for the most part last night, which given it was at home and against Wimbledon must be a bit concerning. Who knows though, maybe Wimbledon will prove to be a good side this season and that result doesn't age too badly. Thought the whole performance just looked so abject though, even at 1-0 down there was no urgency to try and get a leveler. Thought the number 8 was so poor, I was expecting more given his pedigree, but just didn't look at it at all. Thought the full backs were rubbish as well. You certainly need a few new signings on that evidence. There's a few freebies still kicking about, even Matt Penney would be an upgrade.
Login to get fewer ads

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 13:30 - Aug 16 with 1239 viewsSharkey

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 11:46 - Aug 16 by the_toff

Do you support Colchester Sharkey? Or are you both Col and Town?

Thought they were torn a new one for the most part last night, which given it was at home and against Wimbledon must be a bit concerning. Who knows though, maybe Wimbledon will prove to be a good side this season and that result doesn't age too badly. Thought the whole performance just looked so abject though, even at 1-0 down there was no urgency to try and get a leveler. Thought the number 8 was so poor, I was expecting more given his pedigree, but just didn't look at it at all. Thought the full backs were rubbish as well. You certainly need a few new signings on that evidence. There's a few freebies still kicking about, even Matt Penney would be an upgrade.

Yes, they were awful last night, and slightly worryingly so. And Wimbledon's first away win since they won at Colchester very early in the year. Bandeira is only 19 and was decent at Bradford at the weekend, so maybe three games (and a lot of traveling) in under week was too much for him. I think more criticism will be aimed at Chilvers, who's often linked with moves to bigger clubs because he's genuinely two-footed (and there were plenty of scouts at the ground last night), but he was dreadful.

One of the full-backs is Junior Tchamadeu, who's rated by some websites to be the most valuable player in League 2. Colchester seem to be holding out for over a million for him and are keeping Stoke waiting. Again, poor last night, operating on the other side of the pitch from usual. I think he will leave this week (if he hasn't already done so today).

The most interesting striker (Samson Tovide) is suspended.

I think fees will be paid for two or three players before the window closes, and I think generally for better players than Penney. For what it's worth, the one Town player I wish hadn't been 'let go' is Emyr Huws. I guess nobody trusts him to be able to play many games in a row, but his skill and physical presence would have helped a lot last night.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 15:56 - Aug 16 with 1162 viewsYallop2

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:13 - Aug 15 by the_toff

So in answer to my original question, VERY! That was absolutely dire. Comically bad. No atmosphere at all, either before or during. Absolutely turgid football, no quality on show at all. A stark reminder of just how good we have it watching Town at the moment when you see what they have to witness. Those poor Colchester fans exposing themselves to the Stoke match, I think I would bury my head in the sand at the chasm if I felt that level of animosity towards Ipswich. It would be like us watching Arsenal to laugh at them.

I looked out for Bandeira as suggested, one of the worst performances from a professional footballer that I’ve seen. Ever. Long season for the U’s I fear.

I'm going Saturday v MK Dons. My boys got an invite to a birthday party event there. Be interesting to see if they fair any better although I will have an earpiece in listening to Suffolk.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 16:07 - Aug 16 with 1143 viewsSharkey

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:13 - Aug 15 by the_toff

And the pub?
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 16:19 - Aug 16 with 1119 viewsChampionsofInnsbruck

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 22:38 - Aug 15 by DinnernotTea

I believe they went into the away support pub opposite the station, after that I didn't see or hear from them again.

We should start using their ground for our cup games, just to routinely sell it out just to continue to annoy them!
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 17:52 - Aug 16 with 1063 viewsthe_toff

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 16:07 - Aug 16 by Sharkey

And the pub?

The pub was decent. I went a little off piste and stopped at the Rovers Tye as it was the first place we came to, easy to park and plenty of outside seating. Drove from there down to the ground (via a chippy whose name escapes me - they were good).
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 18:02 - Aug 16 with 1034 viewspointofblue

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 16:19 - Aug 16 by ChampionsofInnsbruck

I believe they went into the away support pub opposite the station, after that I didn't see or hear from them again.

We should start using their ground for our cup games, just to routinely sell it out just to continue to annoy them!

Going off the attendance for the Bristol Rovers game, their ground would be too small.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 23:20 - Aug 16 with 932 viewsSharkey

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 18:02 - Aug 16 by pointofblue

Going off the attendance for the Bristol Rovers game, their ground would be too small.

But maybe worth it, as there aren't many people still alive who've seen Town win a competitive game in Colchester.
I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 08:10 - Aug 17 with 796 viewsDinnernotTea

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 23:20 - Aug 16 by Sharkey

But maybe worth it, as there aren't many people still alive who've seen Town win a competitive game in Colchester.

"We saw us win at Col Who you'll never sing that"

Shouts the old boys.

You can keep Sir Alf, Sir Bobby but being an Ipswich fan is all about remembering if you've seen us beat a tiny, irrelevant and bitter club in North Essex.

Merge with our norfolk pals, you might become semi important then.

Beware of The Ipswich Cabbages

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 08:14 - Aug 17 with 785 viewspointofblue

I'm off to watch Colchester tonight on 23:20 - Aug 16 by Sharkey

Key focus is actually beating Norwich for the first time in over a decade.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024