Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
India's moon mission 13:23 - Aug 23 with 3286 viewsthe_toff

Would be the first mission to successfully land at the south pole of the Moon, due to land soon.

Looks fake to me.
India's moon mission on 13:37 - Aug 23 with 2385 viewsMookamoo

Go India!

I assume it has a rover thing to have a poke about
India's moon mission on 13:39 - Aug 23 with 2379 viewsthe_toff

India's moon mission on 13:37 - Aug 23 by Mookamoo

Go India!

I assume it has a rover thing to have a poke about

Yeah it's going to spend a couple of weeks up there. Presumably looking for Aliens.
India's moon mission on 13:40 - Aug 23 with 2371 viewsJ2BLUE

Modi taking an age to say well done and thank you.

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

India's moon mission on 13:48 - Aug 23 with 2343 viewsStokieBlue

Some context here though, the only other attempt to land there was Russia's Luna 25 a few days ago.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

India's moon mission on 13:57 - Aug 23 with 2297 viewsMookamoo

India's moon mission on 13:48 - Aug 23 by StokieBlue

Some context here though, the only other attempt to land there was Russia's Luna 25 a few days ago.

SB

I hope the Indian's rover has a dustpan and brush attachment.
India's moon mission on 14:11 - Aug 23 with 2265 viewsthe_toff

SB

That's not true, India themselves had an unsuccessful attempt in 2019.
India's moon mission on 14:36 - Aug 23 with 2210 viewsbournemouthblue

The clip from mission control was a graphic surely, not the actual footage?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

India's moon mission on 14:54 - Aug 23 with 2183 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

SB

As someone else said, it's India's second attempt.

Might be misreading you but you appear to be playing it down? The reason so few have attempted it is because it's much harder than other areas. To be the first there is a fantastic achievement for India.

Trust the process. Trust Phil.

Login to get fewer ads

India's moon mission on 14:58 - Aug 23 with 2177 viewsthe_toff

India's moon mission on 14:36 - Aug 23 by bournemouthblue

The clip from mission control was a graphic surely, not the actual footage?

Yes, I was being a touch facetious.

I think I’m right in saying the rover is due to step out in a couple of hours time and start exploring the terrain. I’m curious, in time, to see the images it sends back.
India's moon mission on 15:01 - Aug 23 with 2173 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

India's moon mission on 14:58 - Aug 23 by the_toff

Yes, I was being a touch facetious.

I think I’m right in saying the rover is due to step out in a couple of hours time and start exploring the terrain. I’m curious, in time, to see the images it sends back.

If it finds water surely there's a huge chance it finds the first non-Earth life?

India's moon mission on 15:09 - Aug 23 with 2144 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

India's moon mission on 15:01 - Aug 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

If it finds water surely there's a huge chance it finds the first non-Earth life?

“Huge chance” is a bet of a stretch - more like infinitely remote. Also sure it would be ice rather than water.
India's moon mission on 15:20 - Aug 23 with 2105 viewsthe_toff

I think we already know that there's water on the moon, in the form of ice. That's been the obsession with the south side I think, with the expectation that it's rich in water (ice). Due to the sizable and unique craters on the south side there's areas that are permanently shadowed from the sun, and therefore very different in their make up to what's been explored previously.

The objective of this mission is primarily (aside from any political objectives that India has) to survey the make up of the moon's south pole. I don't think it'll be too long (relatively speaking) until there's a permanent human presence on the moon (by way of a base) from which the exploration and understanding of it will accelerate no end. As well as opening up opportunities for further space travel from it. It's fecking mind blowing really.
India's moon mission on 15:28 - Aug 23 with 2083 viewsThe_Flashing_Smile

India's moon mission on 15:09 - Aug 23 by SuperKieranMcKenna

“Huge chance” is a bet of a stretch - more like infinitely remote. Also sure it would be ice rather than water.

Sorry, meant hugely increased chance.

India's moon mission on 15:34 - Aug 23 with 2069 viewsiamatractorboy

India's moon mission on 15:20 - Aug 23 by the_toff

I think we already know that there's water on the moon, in the form of ice. That's been the obsession with the south side I think, with the expectation that it's rich in water (ice). Due to the sizable and unique craters on the south side there's areas that are permanently shadowed from the sun, and therefore very different in their make up to what's been explored previously.

The objective of this mission is primarily (aside from any political objectives that India has) to survey the make up of the moon's south pole. I don't think it'll be too long (relatively speaking) until there's a permanent human presence on the moon (by way of a base) from which the exploration and understanding of it will accelerate no end. As well as opening up opportunities for further space travel from it. It's fecking mind blowing really.

Yes the search for water (ice) on the moon is about potential fuel, eg hydrogen-based, for future bases or onward missions, rather than life, isn't it?
India's moon mission on 15:41 - Aug 23 with 2041 viewsSamuelowen88

South Pole is slightly misleading, although it is what everyone is calling it.

Something like 600km from the pole which is by far the furthest south, and in the region they wanted to be in.

However the claiming the south pole is like saying Hamburg and Ipswich are in the same location

Poll: England v Wales Score

India's moon mission on 15:52 - Aug 23 with 2022 viewsthe_toff

India's moon mission on 15:34 - Aug 23 by iamatractorboy

Yes the search for water (ice) on the moon is about potential fuel, eg hydrogen-based, for future bases or onward missions, rather than life, isn't it?

Pretty much, it would be a seismic leap forward in that respect. Ultimately, for there to be a base on the moon, from which we can explore Mars, it'll need to support human life, as much as possible, from the resources that exist there already. Of course water is a part of that.

There's plenty of other issues, but if there's a political will to do it then there's probably a way.
India's moon mission on 16:08 - Aug 23 with 2012 viewsronnyd

Seems a touch obscene for a country in which many of their citizens are in extreme poverty to be having an expensive space programme. ,
India's moon mission on 16:24 - Aug 23 with 1971 viewsthe_toff

India's moon mission on 16:08 - Aug 23 by ronnyd

Seems a touch obscene for a country in which many of their citizens are in extreme poverty to be having an expensive space programme. ,

It wasn't actually a particularly expensive mission in the grand scheme of things, and I'm sure there's a case that it creates jobs and boosts India's standing for future prospects and projects. It cost less than a Declan Rice.
India's moon mission on 16:30 - Aug 23 with 1953 viewsSamuelowen88

India's moon mission on 16:24 - Aug 23 by the_toff

It wasn't actually a particularly expensive mission in the grand scheme of things, and I'm sure there's a case that it creates jobs and boosts India's standing for future prospects and projects. It cost less than a Declan Rice.

it was a quarter of the cost of the Russian mission

Poll: England v Wales Score

India's moon mission on 16:37 - Aug 23 with 1943 viewsthe_toff

India's moon mission on 16:30 - Aug 23 by Samuelowen88

it was a quarter of the cost of the Russian mission

It's likely to be a ridiculously good investment for India when you consider the relatively cheap cost of the whole thing compared to them writing their name in the history books and the global attention, prestige and future opportunities it's probably garnered.
India's moon mission on 17:26 - Aug 23 with 1909 viewsChurchman

India's moon mission on 16:08 - Aug 23 by ronnyd

It does seem odd. India has its caste system that’s been around for a couple of thousand years and I’m led to believe is still very strong, regardless of constitutional equality. It’s explained quite well here:

https://www.tiyara.org/blog/everything-you-need-to-know-about-indias-caste-syste

I worked with somebody 12 years ago who although born in this country is very much governed by her Indian background and heritage. She used to tell me a lot about how it worked over coffee and chats because I was interested. When she got married, it was an arranged one, in all the formal ways, out to India, family formalities, a price etc I find very strange/alien in 21st century. There were big problems in the arrangements because she was of the highest caste (a Pandit), him the one lower. Still high, but not equal.

She was in quite a strange position having been brought up completely in the west, utterly western in every way yet subject to the rules of her heritage. She got on fine with her husband, detested her mother in law who she had to obey and swore no child of hers would ever be forced into an arranged marriage.

The point of all this is that it seems to me that beyond it being countries within a countries, differing cultures, huge, massive population, the people of the bottom two castes, millions of people, actually don’t matter in their world. How sustainable that is in the future, goodness knows, but given how their system works it explains why spending billions on space, weapons and stuff is perfectly ok to them..
India's moon mission on 17:34 - Aug 23 with 1892 viewsDJR

Green cheese?
India's moon mission on 17:40 - Aug 23 with 1876 viewsStokieBlue

India's moon mission on 14:11 - Aug 23 by the_toff

That's not true, India themselves had an unsuccessful attempt in 2019.

Apologies, I meant to say only other nation whom attempted to land there was Russia.

SB

India's moon mission on 17:43 - Aug 23 with 1871 viewsStokieBlue

India's moon mission on 14:54 - Aug 23 by The_Flashing_Smile

As someone else said, it's India's second attempt.

Might be misreading you but you appear to be playing it down? The reason so few have attempted it is because it's much harder than other areas. To be the first there is a fantastic achievement for India.

With regards to orbital mechanics it's no more difficult than any other part of the moon (this is where Russia failed the other day though).

The actual landing is more difficult because the surface in that area is more rocky that other areas.

I agree it's a great achievement for India.

SB

India's moon mission on 18:08 - Aug 23 with 1827 viewsvilanovablue

SB

Although in fairness if the USA had been minded too they'd have got there first. Nonetheless it is some achievement.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024