Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
January 22:41 - Oct 25 with 3475 viewsBseaBlue

Yeah, don't want to get too ahead of ourselves, but say we remain in the situation we are in currently come January, what the fudge do the club do?

The January signings last season saw us over the line so do we see something special happening again or will we approach with caution? Certainly exciting times at Town and good problems to have!
January on 22:45 - Oct 25 with 2710 viewshomer_123

You are constantly looking to improve and I've no doubt we would in Jan.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

January on 22:47 - Oct 25 with 2695 viewsDarkBrandon

Is the question will we gamble and go above our FFP limits and hope we can sort things out if we don’t go up?

I’ve no idea.

We will be trying to improve the squad though, and it should be much easier to attract players than it was in the Summer when nobody was really sure how the season would go.
January on 22:55 - Oct 25 with 2619 viewstextbackup

Got GOT to be a striker that can do the Hirst role, but with more quality on the ball on a more consistent basis.
I think if that happens (and we continue doing what we are) we really could go up
[Post edited 25 Oct 2023 22:56]

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

January on 22:57 - Oct 25 with 2591 viewsBigCommon

Think the puzzle is to recruit Prem' ready players, within FFP restrictions...
Last Jan, we largely recruited players that were not only bolstering our promotion push. But were also ready for the division above.
The flip side of being successful with our current squad of players, is that our owners might think we've got enough about us already to sustain a promotion push... Let's not forget, also, that we spend a lot on coaching/management. So maybe they will be expected to push these current players, further?
There's a lot to think about.. A couple of quality additions would be great.. But can we afford to splash out on definite upgrades? Perhaps another loanee to add freshness?
January on 22:58 - Oct 25 with 2580 viewsIllinoisblue

I bet many scenarios are well under way, contacts made, ifs and buts accounted for. This is a different club.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

January on 23:09 - Oct 25 with 2492 viewsNthQldITFC

January on 22:57 - Oct 25 by BigCommon

Think the puzzle is to recruit Prem' ready players, within FFP restrictions...
Last Jan, we largely recruited players that were not only bolstering our promotion push. But were also ready for the division above.
The flip side of being successful with our current squad of players, is that our owners might think we've got enough about us already to sustain a promotion push... Let's not forget, also, that we spend a lot on coaching/management. So maybe they will be expected to push these current players, further?
There's a lot to think about.. A couple of quality additions would be great.. But can we afford to splash out on definite upgrades? Perhaps another loanee to add freshness?

That's possibly going to mean looking abroad to a large extent, isn't it? For the quality at a price we can afford. I wonder if we're expanding our scouting there now. Obviously personality will continue to be one of our top considerations, which might be a little more difficult/different overseas? Maybe not. I just trust them, whatever they do.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

January on 23:15 - Oct 25 with 2447 viewsFrimleyBlue

Sign Armstrong from Southampton. Then we have another option to Hirst and Freddie which would work with our style.
Sign Sara from nodge.
Sign williams on perm

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

January on 08:14 - Oct 26 with 2137 viewsStokieBlue

January on 23:15 - Oct 25 by FrimleyBlue

Sign Armstrong from Southampton. Then we have another option to Hirst and Freddie which would work with our style.
Sign Sara from nodge.
Sign williams on perm

So in summary:

- Sign Southampton's top scorer when they are going for promotion
- Sign Norwich's best player (valued well north of 10m)
- Take on William's huge wages whilst in the Championship

We probably need a bit of realism here, even if we do push the boat out in January I don't think it's going to be to the tune of 20m+.

Interestingly, Broadhead has a better "goals per 90 minutes" than Armstrong. Two of Armstrong's goals have been penalties as well.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

Login to get fewer ads

January on 08:21 - Oct 26 with 2097 viewsWacko

January on 23:15 - Oct 25 by FrimleyBlue

Sign Sara from nodge.
Sign williams on perm

I’d rather we signed Sinclair Armstrong from QPR (more realistic too)

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

January on 08:25 - Oct 26 with 2071 viewsBiGDonnie

January on 08:14 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

So in summary:

We probably need a bit of realism here, even if we do push the boat out in January I don't think it's going to be to the tune of 20m+.

Interestingly, Broadhead has a better "goals per 90 minutes" than Armstrong. Two of Armstrong's goals have been penalties as well.

SB

No chance for Rowe, until we go up. Imagine the scenes.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

January on 08:26 - Oct 26 with 2069 viewsBseaBlue

January on 22:55 - Oct 25 by textbackup

Got GOT to be a striker that can do the Hirst role, but with more quality on the ball on a more consistent basis.
I think if that happens (and we continue doing what we are) we really could go up

That's a good point. I thought we massively missed Freddie last night, in that when Hirst had to go off, Scarlett just couldn't make the ball stick. We needed someone to hold it and release some of the pressure but it just kept coming back at us.

I was excited about Jackson starting because his pace can be a real handful. He got in some great positions but his crossing was dreadful. Hopefully Burns won't be out too long but if so, maybe a right winger comes in.
January on 08:29 - Oct 26 with 2050 viewsStokieBlue

January on 08:25 - Oct 26 by BiGDonnie

No chance for Rowe, until we go up. Imagine the scenes.

I believe you can't see his posts but he was referring to Sara who I think it probably their best player still and their most valuable.

Rowe started well but has tailed off and only played a few matches, Sara is right up there in the divisional stats for a midfielder.

SB

January on 08:31 - Oct 26 with 2040 viewsStokieBlue

January on 08:21 - Oct 26 by Wacko

He looked very good but not sure he is any more realistic given PL interest.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sinclair-armstrong-qpr-new-contract-ma

SB

January on 08:34 - Oct 26 with 2011 viewsStokieBlue

January on 22:55 - Oct 25 by textbackup

I think that's pretty harsh, Hirst has been excellent and I think is pretty consistent in delivering what KM has asked him to do.

An upgrade on Ladapo at the Hirst level would be good though. If you want an upgrade on Hirst we are once again looking at the 7m+ bracket one would think (we got him pretty cheap).

SB

January on 08:39 - Oct 26 with 1985 viewsWacko

January on 08:31 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

He looked very good but not sure he is any more realistic given PL interest.

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/sinclair-armstrong-qpr-new-contract-ma

SB

Oh fair enough, thought he was under the radar

Poll: Who would you rather see lose their job?

January on 08:50 - Oct 26 with 1953 viewsFrimleyBlue

January on 08:14 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

So in summary:

SB

What is the level of realism when it comes to gamechanger and what they'll do to support KM?

Ffp has its limitations of course.. but if we are still looking at a large gap come January. Then yes I see them allowing some early higher spending transfers..

I didn't mention broady so not sure why you have. But Armstrong for me would be a great signing and one that fits as a hirst type so we have 2 of them.

Williams.. I just meant with him pre contract agreement... I don't see utd extending his deal so can't we discuss signing him from Jan for the summer?

Sara.. nodge imo won't get that much for him. The may want it.. but they will soon need to sell. Financially they fked again with this being Last parachute season. And a 45 mill loan to pay back.

But the truth is its actually difficult for any of us to know what type of player we might go with..

We've seen how long it takes players to get used to our style... and I'm sure KM will want some in Jan who can spend the rest of season getting to know the system for a prem campaign should we be in that direction... then it comes down to funds... if we spent £4mill to get us out of league 1.. who's to know what we will spend to push us out of the champ...

Do you have any thoughts on what players you could see coming in?

Waka waka eh eh

January on 08:54 - Oct 26 with 1921 viewsReusersTown

That is actually a decent shout if he has managed to continue in a similar vein as when he played us. Compared to the literary Diarrhoea Frimley is spouting again.
January on 08:58 - Oct 26 with 1872 viewsMK1

Can see us bringing a few in regardless of our league position. A striker and wide right will probably be top of the list. I would try and buy Hutchinson and Williams, but not a chance I guess. I would still take a chance on Collins from Bristol Rovers as well. Sure KM has more knowledge than me though.
January on 08:59 - Oct 26 with 1868 viewsITFCBlues

Why would you rather we signed a striker with 1 goal this season and can't even start for QPR over one of the leagues top scorers?

Probably irrelevant anyways as no way saints sell us Armstrong.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

January on 09:03 - Oct 26 with 1844 viewsStokieBlue

January on 08:50 - Oct 26 by FrimleyBlue

What is the level of realism when it comes to gamechanger and what they'll do to support KM?

Ffp has its limitations of course.. but if we are still looking at a large gap come January. Then yes I see them allowing some early higher spending transfers..

I didn't mention broady so not sure why you have. But Armstrong for me would be a great signing and one that fits as a hirst type so we have 2 of them.

Williams.. I just meant with him pre contract agreement... I don't see utd extending his deal so can't we discuss signing him from Jan for the summer?

Sara.. nodge imo won't get that much for him. The may want it.. but they will soon need to sell. Financially they fked again with this being Last parachute season. And a 45 mill loan to pay back.

But the truth is its actually difficult for any of us to know what type of player we might go with..

We've seen how long it takes players to get used to our style... and I'm sure KM will want some in Jan who can spend the rest of season getting to know the system for a prem campaign should we be in that direction... then it comes down to funds... if we spent £4mill to get us out of league 1.. who's to know what we will spend to push us out of the champ...

Morning Frimmers.

"What is the level of realism when it comes to gamechanger and what they'll do to support KM?

Ffp has its limitations of course.. but if we are still looking at a large gap come January. Then yes I see them allowing some early higher spending transfers.."

This is a fair point, although didn't you spend the summer saying that due to FFP we couldn't spend the sums needed to get the players you've listed? Perhaps we will go large but it could be a big risk.

"I didn't mention broady so not sure why you have. But Armstrong for me would be a great signing and one that fits as a hirst type so we have 2 of them."

I mentioned Broady as a direct comparison to Armstrong which I think is fair. Armstrong isn't really a Hirst replacement, he's more a 10. I really don't think he's the type of player we need, especially not for the 10m+ they would want.

"Williams.. I just meant with him pre contract agreement... I don't see utd extending his deal so can't we discuss signing him from Jan for the summer?"

This is different to what you said but might be a good idea, although wages would depend on division of course.

"Sara.. nodge imo won't get that much for him. The may want it.. but they will soon need to sell. Financially they fked again with this being Last parachute season. And a 45 mill loan to pay back."

I think they will get quite a bit more than you imagine, his stats are still very good. They paid 6m+extras for him so doubt they are going to look to sell him for a loss given how well he's done.

"Do you have any thoughts on what players you could see coming in?"

To be honest I've not considered it, it's the end of October, a lot can change before Jan. Something I would consider nearer to the time but I am sure the club have many targets already outlined.

I think an upgrade on Freddie is absolutely vital, we looked far worse when Hirst got knackered and eventually went off yesterday. Who that upgrade might be I don't know. I don't think it's Armstrong though.

SB

January on 09:28 - Oct 26 with 1787 viewsFrimleyBlue

January on 09:03 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

Morning Frimmers.

"What is the level of realism when it comes to gamechanger and what they'll do to support KM?

Ffp has its limitations of course.. but if we are still looking at a large gap come January. Then yes I see them allowing some early higher spending transfers.."

This is a fair point, although didn't you spend the summer saying that due to FFP we couldn't spend the sums needed to get the players you've listed? Perhaps we will go large but it could be a big risk.

"I didn't mention broady so not sure why you have. But Armstrong for me would be a great signing and one that fits as a hirst type so we have 2 of them."

I mentioned Broady as a direct comparison to Armstrong which I think is fair. Armstrong isn't really a Hirst replacement, he's more a 10. I really don't think he's the type of player we need, especially not for the 10m+ they would want.

"Williams.. I just meant with him pre contract agreement... I don't see utd extending his deal so can't we discuss signing him from Jan for the summer?"

This is different to what you said but might be a good idea, although wages would depend on division of course.

"Sara.. nodge imo won't get that much for him. The may want it.. but they will soon need to sell. Financially they fked again with this being Last parachute season. And a 45 mill loan to pay back."

I think they will get quite a bit more than you imagine, his stats are still very good. They paid 6m+extras for him so doubt they are going to look to sell him for a loss given how well he's done.

"Do you have any thoughts on what players you could see coming in?"

To be honest I've not considered it, it's the end of October, a lot can change before Jan. Something I would consider nearer to the time but I am sure the club have many targets already outlined.

I think an upgrade on Freddie is absolutely vital, we looked far worse when Hirst got knackered and eventually went off yesterday. Who that upgrade might be I don't know. I don't think it's Armstrong though.

SB

Morning SB

"This is a fair point, although didn't you spend the summer saying that due to FFP we couldn't spend the sums needed to get the players you've listed? Perhaps we will go large but it could be a big risk."

Yes I did, but at that time, I and probably most of the board didn't expect us to be 2nd with potentially a 12 point game to third at this point in time.. for that, the rules kinda change a bit in my mind as I never expected any chance of promotion this season.

"I mentioned Broady as a direct comparison to Armstrong which I think is fair. Armstrong isn't really a Hirst replacement, he's more a 10. I really don't think he's the type of player we need, especially not for the 10m+ they would want."

Fair enough, I felt he was more a hirst rotator, so happy to be wrong on that.

"This is different to what you said but might be a good idea, although wages would depend on division of course."

Apologies, that's what I meant.

I agree with you though, being october its quite difficult to think ahead, and parts of us don't really want to as we have no clue how it's gonna look. And no ideas either of what level of financial support gamechanger are going to give... I don't think anyone even KM thought we'd be where we are.

Waka waka eh eh

January on 09:32 - Oct 26 with 1766 viewsDanTheMan

January on 08:50 - Oct 26 by FrimleyBlue

I think the issue is most of them are not going to be in our price range.

Armstrong is just coming good for Southampton who have no real reason to sell, it's not like they don't have the money. Selling to a promotion rival would be fairly insane for them.

Williams is going out of contract but don't Man Utd have an option? They'd exercise that if we're firming up interest just like they did with Martin many moons ago. If they don't have the option, I could see that happening rather than risking losing him for nothing in the summer. Don't think we can legally sign a pre-contract agreement until after the season has ended, there's some weird rules about it domestically that I can never quite remember.

Sara just seems unrealistic. Even if they were willing to sell him, I doubt they'd entertain selling him to us. He cost them £6mil so they'd want more than that and he's got another 3 years left on his contract. It's just not realistic.

I know you weren't asking me but on thoughts who might be realistic, we'd probably want someone from a midtable side really. It's a shame Knight went to Bristol City as I thought he'd be a perfect Morsy replacement.

Sinclair Armstrong, despite being linked to Prem clubs, also doesn't strike me as unrealistic.

Other than that, no idea.

Poll: FM Parallel Game Week 1 (Fulham) - Available Team

January on 09:33 - Oct 26 with 1761 viewsStokieBlue

January on 09:28 - Oct 26 by FrimleyBlue

Morning SB

"This is a fair point, although didn't you spend the summer saying that due to FFP we couldn't spend the sums needed to get the players you've listed? Perhaps we will go large but it could be a big risk."

Yes I did, but at that time, I and probably most of the board didn't expect us to be 2nd with potentially a 12 point game to third at this point in time.. for that, the rules kinda change a bit in my mind as I never expected any chance of promotion this season.

"I mentioned Broady as a direct comparison to Armstrong which I think is fair. Armstrong isn't really a Hirst replacement, he's more a 10. I really don't think he's the type of player we need, especially not for the 10m+ they would want."

Fair enough, I felt he was more a hirst rotator, so happy to be wrong on that.

"This is different to what you said but might be a good idea, although wages would depend on division of course."

Apologies, that's what I meant.

I agree with you though, being october its quite difficult to think ahead, and parts of us don't really want to as we have no clue how it's gonna look. And no ideas either of what level of financial support gamechanger are going to give... I don't think anyone even KM thought we'd be where we are.

I think it's also worth considering whether we might be seen as a good option for a higher standard PL loan in January.

Scarlett hasn't had many chances but someone like Diallo at Man Utd who hasn't been loaned out again this year but also hasn't played might be available to a team riding high in the table.

Once again though, he's more a 10 than a Hirst challenger which is what we really need.

What would really cause excitement on here would be a Hirst challenger scouted and purchased from abroad, someone that nobody has heard of.

SB

January on 09:37 - Oct 26 with 1732 viewsFrimleyBlue

January on 09:33 - Oct 26 by StokieBlue

I think it's also worth considering whether we might be seen as a good option for a higher standard PL loan in January.

Scarlett hasn't had many chances but someone like Diallo at Man Utd who hasn't been loaned out again this year but also hasn't played might be available to a team riding high in the table.

Once again though, he's more a 10 than a Hirst challenger which is what we really need.

What would really cause excitement on here would be a Hirst challenger scouted and purchased from abroad, someone that nobody has heard of.

SB

Andy Caroll is doing bits in france.... lol

Waka waka eh eh

January on 09:43 - Oct 26 with 1712 views_clive_baker_

We've constantly looked to improve on our weakest positions and show continuous improvement. The side that started last season was strong, but you would always have identified Evans, Aluko, Harness, Donacien, Ladapo as players who perhaps have lower ceilings than the likes of Walton, Davis, Woolf, Morsy, Chaplin, Burns for various reasons.

We've strengthened in all of those areas and raised the bar. Looking at the side now Tuanzebe might be one who can challenge Burgess & Woolfenden (although he's got some work to do on current form), central midfield is an area where either Taylor can really challenge or we look to bring someone in. Again Morsy and Luongo are playing well but that will be an area where we'll need to strengthen given age profiles and international duties. Also up top, someone to challenge Hirst, which probably spells the end for Ladapo.

Wouldn't be surprised to see 2 or 3 January additions in the next phase of our development, with Ladapo, Harness, Aluko, Ball, Evans the ones that ultimately become surplus as a result. The good thing about this start is we should be quite an attractive proposition and easier sell to quality players.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024