Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Did Edmundson get lucky? 19:18 - Oct 28 with 9047 viewsITFCBlues

I'm not sure he's actually touched him in all honesty.

Poll: Has our squad been improved this summer?

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:21 - Oct 29 with 1052 viewsHerbivore

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:17 - Oct 29 by Vegtablue

Good clip Dan. It causes me to recall the Hutchinson non-penalty against Huddersfield to be honest, when he surged in a diagonal direction at the last moment to place his right hip in front of the covering Thomas. The consensus in that incident was stonewall penalty: Thomas needed to allow for any erratic movement from the player marginally ahead of him, irrespective of whether it was necessary to control of protect the ball.

In this clip, does Bundu's foot turn sideways because he's leaving it for contact, because of his own loss of balance, because his ankle is clipped by Fridge the moment his foot tries to lift off the ground (before the clear contact afterwards on the foot), or because he's attempting to shape up against the goalkeeper in an elaborate movement? The only certainty is that there's contact with the player and Fridge doesn't win the ball. I'm sure we'd be collectively miffed if we were on the receiving end, as much as the true reason for the detectable contact looks inconclusive to me.

In real time from my position, it looked a foul that you had to give on the balance of probabilities, just short of or just over the line of the penalty box. My questions were inside or outside and is it a red, rather than is it a foul. Schumacher and McKenna saw the incident similarly to each other in real time. McKenna thought FK and yellow. Schumacher didn't know if it was a FK or penalty and wasn't certain on the colour of the card, saying both he was the 'last man' and there were two 'covering defenders'. It's a clear shot on goal if Bundu doesn't take another touch, but one more and Williams is between him and the goalie IMO.

If you changed the ref and linesmen 100 times, would penalty+yellow or FK+yellow be the modal outcome? I'm inclined to believe a foul and a yellow, given refs typically try to avoid red cards in these incidents and the two Ipswich players are at the scene as Bundu's backside hits the deck, even if they wouldn't have denied an immediate shot.

There's a difference between cutting across a player so he bundles into the back of you and sends you to ground and throwing yourself to the floor and stretching your back leg out to try and manufacture 'contact'. I don't know why people are focusing on a freeze frame that doesn't show the context when there's a perfectly good slo mo replay that shows him diving and a very slight touch happening as he's on his way to ground, initiated by the player who is on his way to the floor.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:44 - Oct 29 with 1011 viewsVegtablue

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:21 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

There's a difference between cutting across a player so he bundles into the back of you and sends you to ground and throwing yourself to the floor and stretching your back leg out to try and manufacture 'contact'. I don't know why people are focusing on a freeze frame that doesn't show the context when there's a perfectly good slo mo replay that shows him diving and a very slight touch happening as he's on his way to ground, initiated by the player who is on his way to the floor.

I think you're the minority voice on this Herb because it isn't clear that what you suggest happened did happen, as much as it could be what happened. I believe you claimed there was no contact at all in your earlier posts, so I'm not sure your eyes have always seen true on this either (mine haven't). Town TV, Argyle TV and the neutral commentators all thought foul in real time, as did the managers. This changes I'm sure depending on where you were in the ground, but my gut instinct is most angles suggested a foul in real time, because most angles are behind the action.

It's only when we focus on a normal time replay in front of the incident that I think the majority opinion changes to one of has he dived, but even in the normal time or slow-mo I don't believe you can rule out his foot twisting as a result of it being sandwiched between the ground and Fridge's sliding leg. I'm reliably informed the Town TV studio at HT concluded it was a foul, after analysing the replays available to them.
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:45 - Oct 29 with 1004 viewsHerbivore

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:44 - Oct 29 by Vegtablue

I think you're the minority voice on this Herb because it isn't clear that what you suggest happened did happen, as much as it could be what happened. I believe you claimed there was no contact at all in your earlier posts, so I'm not sure your eyes have always seen true on this either (mine haven't). Town TV, Argyle TV and the neutral commentators all thought foul in real time, as did the managers. This changes I'm sure depending on where you were in the ground, but my gut instinct is most angles suggested a foul in real time, because most angles are behind the action.

It's only when we focus on a normal time replay in front of the incident that I think the majority opinion changes to one of has he dived, but even in the normal time or slow-mo I don't believe you can rule out his foot twisting as a result of it being sandwiched between the ground and Fridge's sliding leg. I'm reliably informed the Town TV studio at HT concluded it was a foul, after analysing the replays available to them.

I don't see how anyone can watch it and think it's a foul and that we've got away with one, but there we go. Agree to disagree.

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:47 - Oct 29 with 996 viewsbluelagos

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:45 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

I don't see how anyone can watch it and think it's a foul and that we've got away with one, but there we go. Agree to disagree.

I do - settle with an arm wrestle if we ever meet :-)

Poll: This new lockdown poll - what you reckon?

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:56 - Oct 29 with 970 viewsVegtablue

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:45 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

After one final viewing, my suspicion is that Bundu's foot turns as a consequnce of his ankle lifting naturally and being caught by the upper shin/calf of Fridge's right leg, before the contact on Fridge's left foot that looks contrived due to Bundu's foot already being sideways at this point. Respect your alternative view tho! 😅🍻
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:56 - Oct 29 with 968 viewsbluestandard

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 11:46 - Oct 29 by bluelagos

Looks like a pen to me. Not sure why people are saying he dived when his leg was clearly clipped.

So yep, we got away with one.

No no mate, look again. As others have said, look at the full clip, then look at this freeze frame. He’s already on his way down, arms up in the air and falling away from goal.
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 14:12 - Oct 29 with 940 viewsSuffolktractor

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:56 - Oct 29 by bluestandard

No no mate, look again. As others have said, look at the full clip, then look at this freeze frame. He’s already on his way down, arms up in the air and falling away from goal.

He’s clearly lost control of the ball having expected contact from Edmundson which didn’t arrive. Knew Woolfie and Williams were closing in, so took a tumble expecting the ref to give the easy decision. For once in the game the ref didn’t fall for their diving, tumbling and time wasting and fortunately nor did the linesman who was in a perfect position. Justice done.
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 14:12 - Oct 29 with 937 viewsbluestandard

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:44 - Oct 29 by Vegtablue

It’s interesting that everyone’s initial reaction is that it was a foul. I must admit I thought it when I saw it first time around. I think my initial reaction is because Bundu got the wrong side of Fridge, and the moment you see Fridge lunge and Bundu fall, the causation seems obvious to the naked eye.

It’s all in the past now, but for interest I’d love to hear what Fridge has to say about it.
Login to get fewer ads

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 14:17 - Oct 29 with 907 viewsVegtablue

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 14:12 - Oct 29 by bluestandard

It’s interesting that everyone’s initial reaction is that it was a foul. I must admit I thought it when I saw it first time around. I think my initial reaction is because Bundu got the wrong side of Fridge, and the moment you see Fridge lunge and Bundu fall, the causation seems obvious to the naked eye.

It’s all in the past now, but for interest I’d love to hear what Fridge has to say about it.

I reckon Fridge would say he got the ball 😂
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 14:20 - Oct 29 with 903 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 13:56 - Oct 29 by bluestandard

Not reading 4 pages but threads like this really do show fans bias positions.

Everyone would have been up in arms if it was the other way around. Now the player clearly seems to look for contact but that doesn’t automatically disqualify it from being an infringement. Edmondson was beaten, it was a tackle from behind and he didn’t get near the ball, any contact and he’s in trouble, especially in this day an age. Poor defending all round.

I’m pretty sure he walks with VAR. Huge call in the game but we’ll take it.
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 14:38 - Oct 29 with 852 viewstractordownsouth

Looks like a pen to me. Not sure why people are saying he dived when his leg was clearly clipped.

I've changed my mind from my tweet in the OP - it's still not a pen but Edmundson gets a slight touch on the ball beforehand. This clip conveniently edits that part out.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 14:39 - Oct 29 with 847 viewsjaykay

i was on that side in churchmans he never touched him. i looked at the linesman he had the best view and never even thought it was a pen . the ref and linesmen could see the incident
from both angles .the ref looked at the linesman in case the side the linesman saw from his angle that it was a foul.so the right decision was given

forensic experts say footers and spruces fingerprints were not found at the scene after the weekends rows

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 15:33 - Oct 29 with 791 viewsFoD_Blue

Maybe they can do the same over-analysis on the panalty that they won at home to Derby last season? Some you win, some you lose...
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 15:38 - Oct 29 with 779 viewsFoD_Blue

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 12:24 - Oct 29 by Herbivore

He's already on his way down at that point and has stuck his back leg out so any contact is initiated by him, that's why freeze frames are rarely helpful. Watch the replay on full and there's no contact until he's already throwing himself over and sticking his back leg out.

This is exactly how I see it from looking at the replays. There is no contact from Fridge until the Plymouth player is on his way down and moves his leg across to ensure that there is contact.
Failed to con the ref, which is surprising as they were getting away with it all game.

The short footage in that video has been carefully selected so as not to show the entire incident.
Did Edmundson get lucky? on 15:39 - Oct 29 with 777 viewsHerbivore

Did Edmundson get lucky? on 15:33 - Oct 29 by FoD_Blue

Maybe they can do the same over-analysis on the panalty that they won at home to Derby last season? Some you win, some you lose...

Had a look at the Twitter thread and the guy posting the clip claiming robbery shifts to "seen them given" pretty rapidly. He's deliberately edited the clip so you can't see (a) the possible slight touch on the ball from Fridge (think this is open to debate) and (b) that the player is already on his way down and the minimal contact with Fridge's foot only happens because their player dives and sticks his trailing leg backwards to try and make it look like a foul.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024