Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? 19:54 - Nov 2 with 262422 viewsnoggin

Yeah but Owen Jones...
[Post edited 3 Nov 2023 9:05]

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:19 - Mar 4 with 2227 viewsnoggin

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:48 - Mar 4 by NthQldITFC

May I ask whether the following would make it into your list of criteria for a more meaningful and long-term ceasefire?:

D) gives a cast iron guarantee for a two-state solution, finally providing freedom, equality and a degree of justice for Palestinian people 75 years too late
E) funds the rebuilding of the destroyed Gaza Strip, home to 2 million oppressed people
F) reverses all settler land theft in the West Bank and compensates the dispossessed
G) guarantees no further land-grabbing by this or any future Israeli administration, with real and enforceable international sanctions ready in place to stop it

H. Ensure Israeli/IDF leaders are tried for war crimes.

Poll: Which team thread should I participate in?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:21 - Mar 4 with 2211 viewsStokieBlue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:10 - Mar 4 by phillymark

So we both agree to preconditions for a ceasefire. Cool

Makes "ceasefire now" seem like a strange chant then doesn't it?

Not if you object to the systematic destruction of an entire region as well as the indiscriminate killing of tens of thousands of civilians. The specifics can and would be sorted out but stopping that is surely a priority?

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:21 - Mar 4 with 2210 viewsNthQldITFC

Sorry, but 'A) will hold' can't be a 'precondition' for a ceasefire - how can you guarantee that?

The criteria have to be realistic expectations of positive outcomes resulting from a ceasefire, surely, and then that ceasing of fire has to be bilaterally implemented in order for negotiations towards those achieving those criteria to begin, in good faith

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:32 - Mar 4 with 2162 viewsBlueschev

In what way does it make "ceasefire now" seem like a strange chant?
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 17:14 - Mar 4 with 2074 viewsDJR

My understanding is that the situation on the ground in Gaza isn't being reported in Israel, except in a left-wing paper such as Haaretz, which I dip into regularly.

This means things like this are unlikely to get any traction in Israel.

[Post edited 4 Mar 19:24]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 19:34 - Mar 4 with 2017 viewsRyorry

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 17:14 - Mar 4 by DJR

My understanding is that the situation on the ground in Gaza isn't being reported in Israel, except in a left-wing paper such as Haaretz, which I dip into regularly.

This means things like this are unlikely to get any traction in Israel.

[Post edited 4 Mar 19:24]

It may not be reported in Israeli msm, but lools like resident Israelis are doing their own research - there've been large anti-Netanyahu govt. protest marches there, last one only yesterday (albeit that one was more re the hostages than Gaza) -

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 19:45 - Mar 4 with 2003 viewspointofblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 14:32 - Mar 4 by Blueschev

In what way does it make "ceasefire now" seem like a strange chant?

I do think a non-conditional ceasefire won't happen; there would be too much doubt and uncertainty on both sides. So at least one condition from both sides will have to met - the Israelis halt the bombing and Hamas release the hostages, for example.

Once achieved, and maybe an element of trust gained (which looks highly unlikely at this stage but the same would have been said about the British Government and the IRA in the 1980s), then further conditions can be discussed.

This is where the likes of the US and Iran should turn the screw on the respective parties. My concern is they're so invested in the proxy war, the hostages, some Israelis and the citizens of Gaza are caught in the literal crossfire.

Poll: Who would you play at right centre back on Saturday?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 19:59 - Mar 4 with 1991 viewsNthsuffolkblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:20 - Mar 4 by phillymark

It isn’t a genocide

I support a ceasefire that
A) will hold
B) causes the release of hostages
C) prevents Hamas from launching attacks

https://www.google.com/search?q=genocide+definition&sca_esv=8ae7611df0134f35

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Login to get fewer ads

Is the answer 30,000 on 20:04 - Mar 4 with 1980 viewsRyorry

Is the answer 30,000 on 13:26 - Mar 4 by leitrimblue

Why on earth do you think only a Jewish person could understand the Nazis or the Isreal/Palestine conflict?

Of course every reasonably intelligent & empathetic person can read & become very knowledgeable about history, events, war-crimes, and those caught up in those dreadful things.

However, lived experience adds a whole other level to that - through oral history, families passing down stories of their own persecution, relatives killed in concentration camps, life as refugees, experiences of antisemitism in their adoptive countries etc. This is emotional, and an almost hereditary instinct which cannot be felt by those who haven't grown up with it since babyhood imo.

Poll: Why can't/don't we protest like the French do? 🤔

Is the answer 30,000 on 20:04 - Mar 4 with 1979 viewsNthsuffolkblue

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:19 - Mar 4 by phillymark

Please explain to this Jew why the policies of the nazis are different from the intentions of Hamas?

I think you will find the Nazis were the party of power who abused that power to target the genocide of Jews through horrific camps alongside other groups they was as a threat.

I think you will find Hamas are a terror organisation that have perpetrated horrific terror attacks.

If you cannot understand the difference, it probably explains why you support the genocide of the Palestinian people.

Poll: Is Jeremy Clarkson misogynistic, racist or plain nasty?
Blog: [Blog] Ghostbusters

Is the answer 30,000 on 20:14 - Mar 4 with 1955 viewsGlasgowBlue

Is the answer 30,000 on 20:04 - Mar 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

I think you will find the Nazis were the party of power who abused that power to target the genocide of Jews through horrific camps alongside other groups they was as a threat.

I think you will find Hamas are a terror organisation that have perpetrated horrific terror attacks.

If you cannot understand the difference, it probably explains why you support the genocide of the Palestinian people.

The Nazis were elected in 1933 with a vote share of 43.91%.

The Nazis wanted to eradicate all Jews in Europe.

Hamas were elected to be the government of Gaza with a vote share of 44.45%.

Hamas want to eradicate all Jews in the Middle East.
[Post edited 4 Mar 20:17]

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: Our best central defensive partnership?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

When (and how) do state sanctioned executions become genocide ? on 21:24 - Mar 4 with 1921 viewsWeWereZombies

Is the answer 30,000 on 13:50 - Mar 4 by phillymark

And Hamas has killed a fair few Palestinians

So the next thing to look at is the rationale behind executions.

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

Is the answer 30,000 on 21:31 - Mar 4 with 1905 viewsBlueschev

Is the answer 30,000 on 20:14 - Mar 4 by GlasgowBlue

The Nazis were elected in 1933 with a vote share of 43.91%.

The Nazis wanted to eradicate all Jews in Europe.

Hamas were elected to be the government of Gaza with a vote share of 44.45%.

Hamas want to eradicate all Jews in the Middle East.
[Post edited 4 Mar 20:17]

What election did they receive that level of support?
Is the answer 30,000 on 21:34 - Mar 4 with 1894 viewsWeWereZombies

Is the answer 30,000 on 21:31 - Mar 4 by Blueschev

What election did they receive that level of support?

And how long ago was the vote ?

And who allowed the voting to take place ?

Poll: How will we get fourteen points from the last five games ?

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 07:43 - Mar 5 with 1815 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 19:34 - Mar 4 by Ryorry

It may not be reported in Israeli msm, but lools like resident Israelis are doing their own research - there've been large anti-Netanyahu govt. protest marches there, last one only yesterday (albeit that one was more re the hostages than Gaza) -

I think there is a difference between anti-war protests and protests by relatives of the hostages or against Netanyahu.

This was reportedly the first anti-war protest with calls for a ceasefire, and it attracted only 100s of people.

https://www.wusf.org/2024-01-19/israeli-protesters-demand-gaza-cease-fire-in-rar

And according to Wikipedia, this peaceful anti-war protest was broken up by police for "harming the feelings of the public".

Such action reflects police chief, Kobi Shabtai, saying in October there will be “zero tolerance” for protests in support of Gaza in Israel and threatening to send anti-war demonstrators to the besieged Palestinian enclave that Israel had been bombarding daily for nearly two weeks.
[Post edited 5 Mar 7:59]
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:08 - Mar 5 with 1785 viewsleitrimblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 07:43 - Mar 5 by DJR

I think there is a difference between anti-war protests and protests by relatives of the hostages or against Netanyahu.

This was reportedly the first anti-war protest with calls for a ceasefire, and it attracted only 100s of people.

https://www.wusf.org/2024-01-19/israeli-protesters-demand-gaza-cease-fire-in-rar

And according to Wikipedia, this peaceful anti-war protest was broken up by police for "harming the feelings of the public".

Such action reflects police chief, Kobi Shabtai, saying in October there will be “zero tolerance” for protests in support of Gaza in Israel and threatening to send anti-war demonstrators to the besieged Palestinian enclave that Israel had been bombarding daily for nearly two weeks.
[Post edited 5 Mar 7:59]

# Free Isreal from the far right
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:32 - Mar 5 with 1761 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:08 - Mar 5 by leitrimblue

# Free Isreal from the far right

The recent local elections suggest a further move to the right.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/03/ultra-orthodox-and-far-right-make-
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:44 - Mar 5 with 1733 viewsleitrimblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:32 - Mar 5 by DJR

The recent local elections suggest a further move to the right.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/03/ultra-orthodox-and-far-right-make-

It's not looking good

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/05/extraordinary-islamic-and-jewish-s

These were the days
Is the answer 30,000 on 08:51 - Mar 5 with 1723 viewsDJR

Is the answer 30,000 on 11:19 - Mar 4 by phillymark

Please explain to this Jew why the policies of the nazis are different from the intentions of Hamas?

Given the events of 7 October, and as a non-Jew, I wouldn't even try.

As it is, a Jewish person of the left who favours a two-state solution commented that they had never felt more Jewish than on 7 October. It hadn't stopped their belief in such a solution, but it does goes to indicate the impact of what was a pogrom on the Jewish psyche.
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:57 - Mar 5 with 1699 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:44 - Mar 5 by leitrimblue

It's not looking good

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2024/mar/05/extraordinary-islamic-and-jewish-s

These were the days

Such a shame, and the fact that conflict is going on in an area with so much religious and historical significance makes it even more tragic.

As it is, Haaretz regularly features gems such as this.

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/2024-03-04/ty-article-magazine/philistines-w
How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 11:06 - Mar 5 with 1637 viewsleitrimblue

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 08:57 - Mar 5 by DJR

Such a shame, and the fact that conflict is going on in an area with so much religious and historical significance makes it even more tragic.

As it is, Haaretz regularly features gems such as this.

https://www.haaretz.com/archaeology/2024-03-04/ty-article-magazine/philistines-w

That's an interesting article, thanks.
The prehistoric world seemed pretty obsessed with ritualised drug taking but this area more then most seems to have a great variety of differing substances used in religious ceremonies etc.
In northern Europe we seemed to be more reliant on hallucinogenics, mushrooms, henbane etc. In the middle East they seem to be using a full cross section. Opiates, hallucinogenics, cannabis, I believe there was even a cocaine like substance possibly derived from a type of water lily.
All bring you closer to god/gods/deities etc
Is the answer 30,000 on 12:56 - Mar 5 with 1574 viewsphillymark

Is the answer 30,000 on 20:04 - Mar 4 by Nthsuffolkblue

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/04/europe/un-team-sexual-abuse-oct-7-hostages-in
Is the answer 30,000 on 13:33 - Mar 5 with 1536 viewsStokieBlue

Is the answer 30,000 on 12:56 - Mar 5 by phillymark

https://edition.cnn.com/2024/03/04/europe/un-team-sexual-abuse-oct-7-hostages-in

That's really not a response to what he posted and you've still not outlined how the IDF response in Gaza isn't a genocide.

Your link clearly outlines horrific acts, a position which I think nobody disagrees with but doesn't excuse the killing of tens of thousands of civilians in Gaza who had nothing to do with that.

I'm a bit concerned that you seen to think it does.

SB

Avatar - IC410 - Tadpoles Nebula

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 21:21 - Mar 7 with 1270 viewsDJR

How many Palestinian lives is sufficient? on 13:56 - Mar 8 with 1117 viewsDJR

This is a story Haaretz has also reported.

Al Jazeera’s Hani Mahmoud, reporting from Rafah, says there are reports of at least five people being crushed to death after being hit by aid packages airdropped to Gaza.

The parachute that was used to airdrop the aid did not open, causing the boxes to fall on people who were gathering in large numbers to collect the aid, the correspondent said.

Two people were killed on the spot while three were severely injured and later died at Kamal Adwan Hospital, according to initial reports.

“This is the tragedy people are experiencing in the north of Gaza. Not only are they confronted with the lack of food and medical supplies, but as they wait for packages of food they are either targeted by the Israeli military or killed by a non-functional parachute,” Mahmoud said.

EDIT: This Tweet, on the Haaretz website, shows even the aid packages where the parachutes appear to be working hitting the ground at a rather frightening speed, given their weight.

[Post edited 8 Mar 14:06]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024