Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Jan. Tranfers in and out? 20:55 - Dec 4 with 13216 viewshyperbrit

Assuming that McKenna has four players in mind to bring in like last year ,what position would they be and who would have to leave to make room for them?
[Post edited 4 Dec 2023 20:57]
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 09:48 - Dec 5 with 2998 viewsBigCommon

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 09:07 - Dec 5 by gordon

Yep - don't think there's much logic to saying that Jackson ought to leave - at the moment he's probably third or fourth choice centre-forward and third choice right-winger, is pretty reliable, knows the system inside out (fans always underestimate the importance of this, good managers don't) and has the potential to have a lot of impact when he comes on with his pace. It's the same with Donacien - obviously he's limited as a footballer, but McKenna knows them both really well, they know the system really well, and churning squad players for the sake of churning squad players is precisely the opposite of the approach that has taken a muddle of a League One team to 2nd in the Championship!

Having said that, who knows if Jackson would be a useful makeweight in a deal for Poku.

He's got a great attitude and work ethic, has Jackson.. Very low maintenance, knows his squad role and gets on with it. With no off field drama's.... Be an incredible story if he got to The Prem' with us.. After knocking around in non league football and fighting his way up the ladder.. On paper, he's an excellent role model to any of our younger players and youths.
People like him, are good to have around the club. Imo. Even if they are not world beaters on the pitch, they will still have their moments in games.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:16 - Dec 5 with 2903 viewsjayessess

Yep - don't think there's much logic to saying that Jackson ought to leave - at the moment he's probably third or fourth choice centre-forward and third choice right-winger, is pretty reliable, knows the system inside out (fans always underestimate the importance of this, good managers don't) and has the potential to have a lot of impact when he comes on with his pace. It's the same with Donacien - obviously he's limited as a footballer, but McKenna knows them both really well, they know the system really well, and churning squad players for the sake of churning squad players is precisely the opposite of the approach that has taken a muddle of a League One team to 2nd in the Championship!

Having said that, who knows if Jackson would be a useful makeweight in a deal for Poku.

Like you say, there probably are some circumstances under which we part with Jackson in January, one of which might be that letting him go might facilitate bringing in a younger player who we can develop.

But even then I don't think it's that straightforward. Poku's Championship experience to date is 20 undistinguished appearances in a doomed team two years ago. He's relatively slight and Peterborough are not a team that put on a lot of defensive demands on their forward players.

Whatever his long term trajectory, if we needed to drop a right winger into a tough away game this season, against a team with a strong left side I'm not sure I'd prefer Poku over Jackson. He'd be pretty tangential to a promotion push IMO.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:39 - Dec 5 with 2889 viewsCityBlue

We need an experienced CB to partner the ever improving Tuanzebe
We need a proven goal threat - able to hold the ball up like Hirst but also with the legs and pace to challenge himself
We need another pivot to back up Morsy/Luongo - Taylor is not a true pivot MF and I can see him pushing to CAM and shadowing Chappers

I T I D

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 12:04 - Dec 5 with 2836 viewsHerbivore

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:39 - Dec 5 by CityBlue

We need an experienced CB to partner the ever improving Tuanzebe
We need a proven goal threat - able to hold the ball up like Hirst but also with the legs and pace to challenge himself
We need another pivot to back up Morsy/Luongo - Taylor is not a true pivot MF and I can see him pushing to CAM and shadowing Chappers

A CB is the last thing we need, imo. We're very well stocked there with good quality in depth.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 12:25 - Dec 5 with 2812 viewstractordownsouth

I think we'll see Ladapo move on if we can find a replacement.

Oxford were interested in the summer and they're still in need of a striker. Perhaps he'll link up with Edwards and Leigh again.

Poll: Preferred Lambert replacement?
Blog: No Time to Panic Yet

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 15:14 - Dec 5 with 2704 viewshyperbrit

McKenna's genius is that he is building a team for the Premiership as we speak and NOT one just to survive the Championship and get promoted with no plan to stay up.The case in point is Wes' goal:When the first buildup appeared to stall they passed back to the goalie and started again until they drew the player covering Davis out of position and then struck with deadly precision.
Norwich has learned nothing of these tactics and in spite of all the parachute payments wasted is now suffering for their stupidity. Your points are well taken: players familiar with the system are worth their weight in gold even if they don't look like much on the surface.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 0:29]
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 00:06 - Dec 6 with 2592 viewshyperbrit

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 15:14 - Dec 5 by hyperbrit

McKenna's genius is that he is building a team for the Premiership as we speak and NOT one just to survive the Championship and get promoted with no plan to stay up.The case in point is Wes' goal:When the first buildup appeared to stall they passed back to the goalie and started again until they drew the player covering Davis out of position and then struck with deadly precision.
Norwich has learned nothing of these tactics and in spite of all the parachute payments wasted is now suffering for their stupidity. Your points are well taken: players familiar with the system are worth their weight in gold even if they don't look like much on the surface.
[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 0:29]

Gamechanger is aptly named because the game is changing rapidly at the moment.
The Premiership is tightening up these days such that the rich oil sheiks that support clubs like City are finding that their teams are no longer running away with the league and clubs like Brentwood are sitting comfortably in mid table.
A bigger change is coming though because the bank loans supporting these smaller clubs are coming to an end soon and Hammers wont be able to borrow anything like 30 million to purchase Davis because the banks won't have it to lend. At that point the best managed clubs like Town with a small budget will thrive
[Post edited 7 Dec 2023 1:49]
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:31 - Dec 6 with 2485 viewsParky

3 in - a striker, winger and a centre mid.

Evans, Ladapo and Aluko out / de-registered.
Login to get fewer ads

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:38 - Dec 6 with 2480 viewshyperbrit

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:31 - Dec 6 by Parky

..call me crazy but I've got a feeling that Clarke is being groomed for a mid field role in the future. Neither Morsy nor Luongo are spring chickens and with the bloody internationals to deal with too it makes sense,If he's been training for a midfield role lately it might explain his strange loss of form as a full back because it's not easy to train for a position that you're not playing regularly.

[Post edited 6 Dec 2023 17:01]
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:57 - Dec 6 with 2460 viewsParky

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:38 - Dec 6 by hyperbrit

..call me crazy but I've got a feeling that Clarke is being groomed for a mid field role in the future. Neither Morsy nor Luongo are spring chickens and with the bloody internationals to deal with too it makes sense,If he's been training for a midfield role lately it might explain his strange loss of form as a full back because it's not easy to train for a position that you're not playing regularly.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see him play there if required. It’s pretty clear McKenna likes versatile players that can play in multiple positions, ie Williams, Ball, Jackson, Broadhead, Harness.

Think we missed Burns quite a lot whilst he was injured, so I personally think it’s a position McKenna will add more quality in January. Gives the squad a bit of a boost too.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 09:06 - Dec 6 with 2449 viewsjayessess

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:31 - Dec 6 by Parky

There's a lot of chat about Evans being de-registered, but I really can't see it. He's a well-liked senior player in a tight-knit group and we have no history of de-registering players in these circumstances (we declined to do it for John-Jules, Edmundson, Ball, Evans last season). To my knowledge there's not been any confirmation that there's no chance of him playing again this season and de-registering essentially ends his season whether he manages to work his way back to fitness or not.

As I understand it, leaving senior players who you own outside a registered squad is a widely considered a big no no inside the game.

Aluko might be a different story if he's reached the point where he actually agrees to it, but unlike Evans he's near the end of his career.

Blog: What Now? Taking a Look at Life in League One

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 09:13 - Dec 6 with 2444 viewstractorboy1978

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 09:06 - Dec 6 by jayessess

There's a lot of chat about Evans being de-registered, but I really can't see it. He's a well-liked senior player in a tight-knit group and we have no history of de-registering players in these circumstances (we declined to do it for John-Jules, Edmundson, Ball, Evans last season). To my knowledge there's not been any confirmation that there's no chance of him playing again this season and de-registering essentially ends his season whether he manages to work his way back to fitness or not.

As I understand it, leaving senior players who you own outside a registered squad is a widely considered a big no no inside the game.

Aluko might be a different story if he's reached the point where he actually agrees to it, but unlike Evans he's near the end of his career.

I read the announcement re his injury at the time very much as if he knows he won't be here next season and we've mutually agreed he should have the operation and concentrate on getting himself ready for next season. I could of course be wrong but that was the feeling I got!

"He’s had the issue a couple of times and hasn’t had the surgical repair, so we’re confident this will now set him on a better path and he can fully recover and set him up for the next few years of his career.”
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 09:30 - Dec 6 with 2382 viewsParky

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 09:06 - Dec 6 by jayessess

It’s not about being well-liked though, if there is no chance of him returning and playing a part in the squad before the end of season, it’s a wasted spot taken. The club still have the responsibility of assisting his rehabilitation and I’m sure he will still be around the squad at the training ground etc.

All the above said, I don’t know his exact time-frame for the injury, but from the links I can find, I can’t see him returning to the squad anytime soon. We’re almost certainly going to be without Luongo and potentially Morsy in January because of the AFCON / Asia Cups, I don’t think it’s the time to keep someone registered for the sake of it.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:07 - Dec 6 with 2327 viewslurcher

Evans number to be retired. He is unlikely to be fit this year and his contract is up in the summer. Which allows us to spend on a new CM.

Maybe Ladapo goes, which allows us to sign another striker. We have been talking with Brandon Vazquezs club in the MLS.

Donacian could go, allowing us to sign a successor/cover for Davis.

Brandon Williams, might be off. Which could allow for another loan.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:38 - Dec 6 with 2257 viewsitfcjoe

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:49 - Dec 5 by jayessess

Like last January, I think it's likely that any deal we do will look to improve the first XI rather than establish a revolving door for squad players. Every window we get people making long lists of reserve players they don't like and who are certain to be out the door, but our recruitment hasn't generally worked like that.

We'll almost certainly look for a striker, Ladapo's the only one who can really make way, so it'll have to be someone with at least a modicum of experience.

Beyond that, I wonder if our business will be quieter than anticipated. Strikers aside, the levels of Broadhead, Chaplin, Burns, Hutchinson and Harness have all been high, so I don't see that you improve much there.
[Post edited 5 Dec 2023 11:02]

I'd maybe increase starting XI to top 14-15 players in the squad - i.e. it's unlikely we replace George Hirst but get someone to put actual pressure on him in that role

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:41 - Dec 6 with 2248 viewsitfcjoe

I think players who are in danger of going are:

Evans - if injured until end of season then may just be deregistered

Aluko - similar re de-registration

Edmundson - at end of window if Baggott deemed ok to step up but feels unlikely

Ladapo - Feels an inevitability that we bring in a striker and let him move on permanently

Donacien - If Humphreys staying here rather than going out on loan, and happy to be used as a LB then little need to have him here and we may be able to get a fee which helps

Williams - if off field stuff doesn't improve then he may not be here until summer

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:50 - Dec 6 with 2208 viewslurcher

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:41 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

Ladapo - Feels an inevitability that we bring in a striker and let him move on permanently

Donacien - If Humphreys staying here rather than going out on loan, and happy to be used as a LB then little need to have him here and we may be able to get a fee which helps

Williams - if off field stuff doesn't improve then he may not be here until summer

Aluko wont go. He has a specific role to be a mature player who is a bridge between the coaching staff and the squad.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:57 - Dec 6 with 2188 viewsitfcjoe

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:50 - Dec 6 by lurcher

Aluko wont go. He has a specific role to be a mature player who is a bridge between the coaching staff and the squad.

Sorry, was talking more for the 25 man squad if necessary than actually leaving the club because I can't see the latter happening

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:00 - Dec 6 with 2183 viewsRobTheMonk

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:41 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

What's the deal with Williams?

Everyone else bar perhaps Edmundson I can see going.

Potentially add Dom Ball to that list too.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:02 - Dec 6 with 2164 viewslurcher

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:57 - Dec 6 by itfcjoe

Sorry, was talking more for the 25 man squad if necessary than actually leaving the club because I can't see the latter happening

McKenna stated at the start of the year that he would be in the 25. He wanted him as an actual player in the squad training day in day out. I expect he will become part of the staff at the end of this season.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:07 - Dec 6 with 2131 viewstractorboy1978

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:02 - Dec 6 by lurcher

McKenna stated at the start of the year that he would be in the 25. He wanted him as an actual player in the squad training day in day out. I expect he will become part of the staff at the end of this season.

He's currently in the 25 but if we need a space in January he will surely drop out? He can train every day without being in the 25. It's a totally wasted space at the moment. Has he even been on the bench in the league this season?
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:12 - Dec 6 with 2103 viewslurcher

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:07 - Dec 6 by tractorboy1978

He's currently in the 25 but if we need a space in January he will surely drop out? He can train every day without being in the 25. It's a totally wasted space at the moment. Has he even been on the bench in the league this season?

McKenna stated that he specifically wanted him as a player in the squad for the season. If he drops out of the squad his relationship with the squad players will change as he will become coaching staff. He is only expected to play in an emergency, his role is to be more like a union rep or a deputy captain. He is approachable in a way that coaching staff are not.
Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:15 - Dec 6 with 2077 viewsKieran_Knows

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 08:38 - Dec 6 by hyperbrit

Ala Zinchenko at Arsenal. Inverted full backs.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:16 - Dec 6 with 2075 viewsKieran_Knows

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 10:07 - Dec 6 by lurcher

Evans number to be retired. He is unlikely to be fit this year and his contract is up in the summer. Which allows us to spend on a new CM.

Maybe Ladapo goes, which allows us to sign another striker. We have been talking with Brandon Vazquezs club in the MLS.

Donacian could go, allowing us to sign a successor/cover for Davis.

Brandon Williams, might be off. Which could allow for another loan.

Interesting regarding Brandon Vasquez. You'd think with our owners that would be a relatively easy deal to do if we wanted? I read online that he's apparently told Cincinnati that he wants a move to Europe in January.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:21 - Dec 6 with 2040 viewslurcher

Jan. Tranfers in and out? on 11:16 - Dec 6 by Kieran_Knows

Interesting regarding Brandon Vasquez. You'd think with our owners that would be a relatively easy deal to do if we wanted? I read online that he's apparently told Cincinnati that he wants a move to Europe in January.

I have it on very good authority that he is on the list and we are talking to his club. He is a decent striker/target man. Has been capped internationally. Plays at a decent level, I think he is 25 ish and his record is 1 goal in every 3 games.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024