Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football 15:27 - Jan 3 with 1954 viewsGenericIpswichMan

I recently discovered about a match which was played about 30 years ago to the day following the initiation of a new “No draw Golden Goal” rule. As the name suggests, it totally backfired and embarrassed the CONCACAF federation which deployed it. When I heard about the circumstances from a friend I thought this was fictional but it transpires was actually true!!

The match itself was a qualification match in the “Shell Carribean Cup” which was a 21 team International tournament. The game itself was a qualification fixture between Granada and Barbados. Will try and explain the game as best I can so bear with me.

So in one of the qualification groups before the main tournament itself, there were 3 teams drawn in the same group (Granada, Barbados and Puerto Rico). Each team played each other once with the top team qualifying and the other 2 teams being eliminated. Going into the game Granada were top of the table with 3 points and a goal difference of +2 whilst Barbados lost their first game 1-0 and sat on zero points and a goal difference of -1. Puerto Rico, having played both their matches sat on 3 points with a goal difference of -1. Therefore Barbados had to win by 2 or more goals in order to qualify for the finals on goal difference otherwise it would have been Granada who qualified.

Now here is the strange part…

The geniuses who set the rules for the tournament determined that in the event of a draw, matches go to extra time to determine a winner. In addition if no goals were scored in extra time the winner would be decided on a penalty shootout.

BUT…

In the event of a goal in extra time. The value of the goal was doubled and the game stopped immediately.

So here’s what happened.

Barbados went into a 2-0 lead and if the result stayed that way would have been good enough for Barbados to qualify for the tournament.
With about 5 minutes to go, Granada pulled one back. Meaning that if the result stayed 2-1 Granada would qualify on goal difference.

Now here is the even stranger part…

Barbados, realising that they needed to score in the final 5 minutes made the decision to intentionally score an own goal. The logic being in the event of a 2-2 draw the game would go to extra time and they could win by scoring the double pointed “Golden Goal” in extra time!!
When Barbados did this, Grenada then twigged that they need to either score in the correct end to win the game 3-2, or alternatively score an own goal to lose 3-2 and still qualify on goal difference.

This led to a frantic last 5 where Grenada attacked both ends and Barbados defended both ends in one of the strangest things ever to be seen on a football pitch. Needless to say the rule was scrapped immediately never to return again!

I can’t believe this actually happened and therefore thought I’d ask if anyone else has any other similar stories as I found this fascinating?.

As for the game itself in case anyone is interested, Barbados did manage to score the golden goal extra time and win 4-2 to qualify for the tournament itself, where they promptly went out in the first group stage.
The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 15:37 - Jan 3 with 1848 viewsgainsboroughblue

Annoyingly, couldn't find longer coverage than this.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 15:39 - Jan 3 with 1839 viewsPhilTWTD

I vaguely remember the tale being one of the first football things to go viral, so to speak, back in the early days of the Internet.
The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 15:45 - Jan 3 with 1794 viewsFtnfwest

It'll never beat the 75 minute rule for abandoning fog bound matches......that doesn't exist...
The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 15:48 - Jan 3 with 1760 viewsFrimleyBlue

For me. Whilst it's part of our style...

Letting defenders in the box for a goal kick..

Never understood why they changed it.

Waka waka eh eh
Poll: We've had Kuqi v Pablo.. so Broadhead or Celina?
Blog: Marcus Evans Needs Our Support Not to Be Hounded Out

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:07 - Jan 3 with 1687 viewsRadlett_blue

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 15:48 - Jan 3 by FrimleyBlue

For me. Whilst it's part of our style...

Letting defenders in the box for a goal kick..

Never understood why they changed it.

To allow teams more opportunity to play the ball out, rather than have the keeper doing a long hoof?
Has to be good for the game.

Poll: Should horse racing be banned in the UK?

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:10 - Jan 3 with 1666 viewsFrimleyBlue

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:07 - Jan 3 by Radlett_blue

To allow teams more opportunity to play the ball out, rather than have the keeper doing a long hoof?
Has to be good for the game.

I dunno.
Sometimes it can 2 minutes of a team passing it around the back.

Or bung it up the pitch and get a battle going straight a way

Waka waka eh eh

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:51 - Jan 3 with 1511 viewsSamWhiteUK

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:10 - Jan 3 by FrimleyBlue

I dunno.

Terrible take. Why should the team with the goal kick be limited as to what they can do with the ball? There is no such rule on free kicks or corners.
The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:58 - Jan 3 with 1440 viewsFrimleyBlue

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:51 - Jan 3 by SamWhiteUK

Terrible take. Why should the team with the goal kick be limited as to what they can do with the ball? There is no such rule on free kicks or corners.

Just a fan of how football was. Didn't feel a need to change it personally.

Not saying anything wrong with it and modern football is different anyway.

Waka waka eh eh

Login to get fewer ads

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 17:00 - Jan 3 with 1430 viewsTractorCam

That is incredible.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 17:39 - Jan 3 with 1305 viewsMattinLondon

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:58 - Jan 3 by FrimleyBlue

Just a fan of how football was. Didn't feel a need to change it personally.

Not saying anything wrong with it and modern football is different anyway.

I hope that you never called Mick a dinosaur.
The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 17:52 - Jan 3 with 1268 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 17:39 - Jan 3 by MattinLondon

I hope that you never called Mick a dinosaur.

Mickropachycephalosaurus

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 18:51 - Jan 3 with 1143 viewsEireannach_gorm

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 16:10 - Jan 3 by FrimleyBlue

I dunno.

TWTD

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 19:05 - Jan 3 with 1111 viewsClapham_Junction

There was something similar in the 1998 AFF Championship where Thailand and Indonesia were playing each other in the last round of the group stage. Both had already qualified. However, they knew whoever won the group would play Vietnam (the hosts and favourites) in the next round.

Indonesia deliberately scored an own goal in injury time. Thailand then tried to do the same but were thwarted and won 3-2.

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 19:30 - Jan 3 with 1057 viewsIllinoisblue

Throw-ins in football are kinda ridiculous when you think about it.

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 19:38 - Jan 3 with 1035 viewsEdwardStone

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 19:30 - Jan 3 by Illinoisblue

I remeber that they experimented with kick-ins rather than throw - ins sometime in the 1970s
The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 23:02 - Jan 3 with 812 viewsAlberto_the_frog

The Weirdest Rule To Be Introduced In The History Of Football on 19:30 - Jan 3 by Illinoisblue

In the early days, the team putting it out would get the throw, kind of like a rugby line out. Would rather change the game if still in effect - lots of punts for yardage.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024