Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bookies odds 18:25 - Jan 16 with 2562 viewscarlo88

I'm very surprised at the current odds for us to win the title, we're still at 8/1 behind Leicester with Leeds and Southampton both at 12/1.

Now I'm not the most pessimistic of supporters and I reckoned we had a good chance of 2nd a few weeks ago, but even I feel we will eventually be overtaken by one or both of the above.

I just wonder what the bookmakers are seeing which makes them still fancy us, despite our dodgy run. Or is it just the fact we're three points ahead of 3rd?
Bookies odds on 18:28 - Jan 16 with 2506 viewsMattinLondon

Probably because the bookies employ teams of analysts to advise them on teams strengths, weaknesses and which teams seem to win matches. Seeing as we have good odds seems to indicate that we have a very good championship team under the guidance of a very good manager.
[Post edited 16 Jan 18:29]
Bookies odds on 18:30 - Jan 16 with 2465 viewsJ2BLUE

It's odd. I would have thought those Southampton odds would have attracted a lot of money and driven them down to second favourites.

Edit: The top 2 and promotion markets are a lot tighter. Likely just that everyone thinks Leicester will win it so are avoiding that market.
[Post edited 16 Jan 18:34]

Truly impaired.
Poll: Will you buying a Super Blues membership?

Bookies odds on 18:32 - Jan 16 with 2433 viewsMK1

The title will be out of reach, but second a real possibility. Leicester nailed on for the title.
Bookies odds on 18:33 - Jan 16 with 2403 viewsorfordbuoy

yeah, that surprised me with the Christmas form. Most on here have been conceding that a playoff position is more likely.

I'm with the bookies.
Bookies odds on 18:53 - Jan 16 with 2224 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Surely it also reflects betting patterns as much as any wider analysis. Much like the England ‘golden generation of Lampard and Gerrard’ were always second or third favourites in a tournament. Not because they were any good - they repeatedly went out with a squeak at the first sign of a half decent team - but because England fans were delusional and put loads of money on them.

Maybe as a neutral Ipswich are a more appealing bet (I.e they don’t have years of cynicism and disappointment from the Evans years) than looking at it from the inside.
Bookies odds on 18:54 - Jan 16 with 2209 viewsHerbivore

We've got a 7 point gap to Leeds who effectively had as bad a Christmas 'blip' as us after the game at Elland Road. Southampton are flying but have had a decent run of fixtures and have a tough looking run in, including playing all of the other sides in the top 4 away from home. I'm not hugely surprised we're still favoured to finish second behind Leicester.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Bookies odds on 18:59 - Jan 16 with 2181 viewsVegtablue

Skybet markets are curious at the moment. We're 2nd favourites for the title, 2nd favourites for automatic promotion, but 4th favourites for promotion. Shows how tight the race is and how unfancied we would be in the play-offs, should we end up there.

I thought we'd be 2nd favourites for the title but 3rd favourites for automatic promotion, to be honest, given the gaps between us all.
Bookies odds on 21:45 - Jan 16 with 1739 viewsRIPbobby

We've only lost 3.
Login to get fewer ads

Bookies odds on 21:49 - Jan 16 with 1703 viewsblueislander

Bookies odds on 18:53 - Jan 16 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Surely it also reflects betting patterns as much as any wider analysis. Much like the England ‘golden generation of Lampard and Gerrard’ were always second or third favourites in a tournament. Not because they were any good - they repeatedly went out with a squeak at the first sign of a half decent team - but because England fans were delusional and put loads of money on them.

Maybe as a neutral Ipswich are a more appealing bet (I.e they don’t have years of cynicism and disappointment from the Evans years) than looking at it from the inside.

Exactly this. The bookies set the odds on the bets placed with them.. Nothing to do with who they might think will win.
Bookies odds on 16:26 - Jan 17 with 1156 viewsBlue_In_Boston

Bookies odds on 18:28 - Jan 16 by MattinLondon

Probably because the bookies employ teams of analysts to advise them on teams strengths, weaknesses and which teams seem to win matches. Seeing as we have good odds seems to indicate that we have a very good championship team under the guidance of a very good manager.
[Post edited 16 Jan 18:29]

Nothing to do with strengths, new signings or analysis, that is all completely irrelevant.

All to do with what cash is lumped on each team, nothing else... and that is why the bookies always win.
Bookies odds on 16:30 - Jan 17 with 1126 viewsitfcjoe

Bookies odds on 18:30 - Jan 16 by J2BLUE

It's odd. I would have thought those Southampton odds would have attracted a lot of money and driven them down to second favourites.

Edit: The top 2 and promotion markets are a lot tighter. Likely just that everyone thinks Leicester will win it so are avoiding that market.
[Post edited 16 Jan 18:34]

These markets are so massive that money isn't what moves them, it's team ratings and the like

Poll: Club vs country? What would you choose
Blog: What is Going on With the Academy at Ipswich Town?

Bookies odds on 21:18 - Jan 17 with 803 viewsLRB84UK

I stuck £20 on us being promoted this season, back in May after we were promoted. I stand to make a total of £75
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024