Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
UK home atmospheres 01:38 - Jan 23 with 2257 viewsTresBonne

Just had this convo with a mate on the way back, I really think the home atmosphere for 99.9% of clubs in the UK is proper dwindling.

People moan about PR atmosphere, but I've done all awaydays this season bar Watford and Southampton, only time I've been wowed by an atmosphere is at Leeds, which was pretty obvious reasons.

I don't think its just an Ipswich problem, it's across the entire country. Never heard 'is there a fire drill' while a team is 1-0 up on 85 mins, it was that bad again.

Maybe we're not so bad after all at PR.
UK home atmospheres on 02:24 - Jan 23 with 2144 viewsJoey_Joe_Joe_Junior

I was a bit critical of the home atmosphere when I was back at Christmas but we are certainly not alone. I just searched Ipswich Leicester on YouTube to see highlights from tonight and a Leicester vlog from Boxing Day came up. The North Stand reaction and roar to the equalizer is as good as an end as you’ll see in the championship this season. Just could do we a bit more noise during the games at times.
UK home atmospheres on 07:38 - Jan 23 with 1797 viewsChurchman

I’m not sure home atmospheres in many grounds is that great most of the time. It depends on the occasion and sometimes the game situation as well as the acoustics- Millwall’s New Den is no where near as noisy as their old Cold Blow Lane ground.

One memorable one for us was the Sheffield United Dale Roberts game. The crowd wasn’t the largest and we were down to 10 men and 2-0 down. The players dug in, everyone got behind them and we won 3-2. The place was rocking by the end,

I went quite a few times to the old Dell. For a place where the supporters were right up against the pitch, they were remarkably quiet. However, we played a game there in the early 80s and I think lost 4-3 and they weren’t quiet then!

Just a couple of examples. Often it is away fans that generate noise and atmosphere and even then not always. I watched one or two PL games over Xmas including Liverpool v Man U and I thought the sound was off. Rubbish games clearly don’t help.
UK home atmospheres on 08:01 - Jan 23 with 1683 viewsbluefunk

All seater stadia are part of the problem, as it stopped gatherings of like minded fans who want to sing. Away fans are concentrated together, likely to be the most enthusiastic fans, no one sits down and so generate a much better atmosphere. At PR, there are fans who’ve been in their same seat for years, maybe a little less enthusiastic than they once were, perhaps made cynical by years of under achievement, so less likely to join in unless we’re really ripping it up. Where once they would have naturally moved away from, say, the middle of the North, they’re now still there, which drags down the atmosphere.
UK home atmospheres on 08:10 - Jan 23 with 1639 viewsyorkshireblue

There is a 259 page thread on Foxes Talk regarding their atmosphere.

You mentioned Elland Road, which is an interesting one. I've been plenty of times and always thought it was overhyped and not been impressed but since some of their fans moved from The Kop to near the away fans it's made a massive difference.
UK home atmospheres on 08:36 - Jan 23 with 1559 viewscordonblue

100% agree....

Number of factors at play I think.

The out of town soulless bowls certainly don't help, although Cov manage to generate a good noise in theirs.

Certain elements of fans expect 100% brilliance at all times and if not would prefer to boo at HT/FT than support their team. See Leicester last night, season of a lifetime but pretty lifeless and booing at the end.

Despite some horrid behaviour still going on football is seen as more of a family day out, rather than 20/30 something blokes creating constant noise.

Continued gentrification of football in many ways but especially ticket prices seeing more of the prawn sandwich brigade, especially relevant in the prem where you get a lost of 'tourist' fans there for an insta picture.

Portman Road is much better than a lot of grounds atm.
UK home atmospheres on 09:30 - Jan 23 with 1411 viewsAlberto_the_frog

UK home atmospheres on 07:38 - Jan 23 by Churchman

I’m not sure home atmospheres in many grounds is that great most of the time. It depends on the occasion and sometimes the game situation as well as the acoustics- Millwall’s New Den is no where near as noisy as their old Cold Blow Lane ground.

One memorable one for us was the Sheffield United Dale Roberts game. The crowd wasn’t the largest and we were down to 10 men and 2-0 down. The players dug in, everyone got behind them and we won 3-2. The place was rocking by the end,

I went quite a few times to the old Dell. For a place where the supporters were right up against the pitch, they were remarkably quiet. However, we played a game there in the early 80s and I think lost 4-3 and they weren’t quiet then!

Just a couple of examples. Often it is away fans that generate noise and atmosphere and even then not always. I watched one or two PL games over Xmas including Liverpool v Man U and I thought the sound was off. Rubbish games clearly don’t help.

3rd October 1981. The day before I moved out of parents' house. We were 1-3 up at the Dell at half time. I went for a little stroll round the neighbourhood to "say goodbye". Came back and we were losing 4-3. Felt like a really sad turning point.
UK home atmospheres on 09:35 - Jan 23 with 1382 viewsAlberto_the_frog

Move to allseaters was a large part of it. Unnecessary knee jerk reaction to a tragedy by people who never went to football. Portman Road was certainly quicker to evacuate in an emergency without all those seats in the way. Turned the equivalent of a mosh pit in front of the stage into the equivalent of sitting in the balcony of the regent watching Daniel O'Donnell.
UK home atmospheres on 10:06 - Jan 23 with 1256 viewsyorkshireblue

UK home atmospheres on 08:36 - Jan 23 by cordonblue

100% agree....

Number of factors at play I think.

The out of town soulless bowls certainly don't help, although Cov manage to generate a good noise in theirs.

Certain elements of fans expect 100% brilliance at all times and if not would prefer to boo at HT/FT than support their team. See Leicester last night, season of a lifetime but pretty lifeless and booing at the end.

Despite some horrid behaviour still going on football is seen as more of a family day out, rather than 20/30 something blokes creating constant noise.

Continued gentrification of football in many ways but especially ticket prices seeing more of the prawn sandwich brigade, especially relevant in the prem where you get a lost of 'tourist' fans there for an insta picture.

Portman Road is much better than a lot of grounds atm.

As well as they are doing, I think most Leciester fans would describe the 2015/16 season as the season of a lifetime to be fair.
Login to get fewer ads

UK home atmospheres on 11:15 - Jan 23 with 1139 viewsSlambo

UK home atmospheres on 08:01 - Jan 23 by bluefunk

All seater stadia are part of the problem, as it stopped gatherings of like minded fans who want to sing. Away fans are concentrated together, likely to be the most enthusiastic fans, no one sits down and so generate a much better atmosphere. At PR, there are fans who’ve been in their same seat for years, maybe a little less enthusiastic than they once were, perhaps made cynical by years of under achievement, so less likely to join in unless we’re really ripping it up. Where once they would have naturally moved away from, say, the middle of the North, they’re now still there, which drags down the atmosphere.

You've absolutely nailed it and this is precisely what A Block is attempting to solve. The fact is in, all-seater stadia, the club HAS to be proactive in engineering atmosphere. It won't just sort itself out. Now that standing areas are steadily being reintroduced, there's a once in a generation chance to rectify this permanently at Portman Road. Just have to hope that, when the club get round to it, they don't take the easy option and stick in those rubbish rail seats, but proper terracing (modified obviously to make it safer) so fans can congregate...

There has been some regrettable back and forths between some of our lads and others based in the North Stand. There are probably a couple of hundred good singers in there, but - as you allude to - they're scattered about and surrounded by fans who are just too inhibited - or simply can't be bothered - to sing. So our message is get up to A Block. It's been a revelation...

UPPA TOWEN!
Blog: Consumer Rights

UK home atmospheres on 12:01 - Jan 23 with 1021 viewsChurchman

UK home atmospheres on 09:30 - Jan 23 by Alberto_the_frog

3rd October 1981. The day before I moved out of parents' house. We were 1-3 up at the Dell at half time. I went for a little stroll round the neighbourhood to "say goodbye". Came back and we were losing 4-3. Felt like a really sad turning point.

Ta for that. We also saw a 3-3 and another high scoring loss. The only boring game in that period was a quiet 1-0 win. I saw a few Southampton games there in later years with a Saints supporting chum as working in SW London and having a company rattlebox to thrash, it wasn’t too bad to nip down to there.
UK home atmospheres on 12:24 - Jan 23 with 958 viewsTootingTown

I've been thinking exactly the same thing recently.

I don't think strange kick off times help, as most of the 'big games' in our league especially are moved to lunchtime kick offs, but it's definitely more noticeable how quiet most grounds are becoming.

Even when watching Bournemouth vs Liverpool the other day, you could argue its one of B'mouths biggest games of the season and it sounded dead (even at 0-0).
UK home atmospheres on 14:17 - Jan 23 with 820 viewsjontysnut

UK home atmospheres on 08:10 - Jan 23 by yorkshireblue

There is a 259 page thread on Foxes Talk regarding their atmosphere.

You mentioned Elland Road, which is an interesting one. I've been plenty of times and always thought it was overhyped and not been impressed but since some of their fans moved from The Kop to near the away fans it's made a massive difference.

My son's a season ticket holder in the South stand and it's definitely not a place for a blanket and thermos
UK home atmospheres on 14:23 - Jan 23 with 779 viewsBiGDonnie

Southampton and Watford home fans were utter w&nk as well.

COYBs
Poll: Is it too soon to sack Hurst?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024