Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
We've been here before... 11:19 - Feb 23 with 2182 viewsmattrolow

Anyone else seeing a lot of parallels with tonight's game and Barnsley v Sheff Weds last year?

Similar time, although the Barnsley game was maybe a few weeks on. Barnsley the in-form team flying along and Wednesday had wobbled from a 10(ish) point lead at the top.

At one point I had all but conceded the league to Wednesday and was aiming for second but this game turned it all around and they suddenly looked more than catchable, whilst Barnsley looked a real threat.

I know Leeds are already an immense threat to us, I guess what I'm saying is that maybe Leicester are the ones to catch and tonight could be a similar turning point like that game was last year.

Leicester have a lot of parallels with Wednesday - top but getting on the manager's back. Not happy with style of play etc. It's not a long stretch to see them completely implode.
We've been here before... on 11:20 - Feb 23 with 2146 viewsTractorCam

Wasn't until the end of March that game, but yes tough to call which way you'd want it to go, either outcome has goods and bads for us.

Just seen Leicester play QPR after this game, and that was similar to Wednesday last year who played and lost to Forest Green.

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

We've been here before... on 11:24 - Feb 23 with 2108 viewsmattrolow

We've been here before... on 11:20 - Feb 23 by TractorCam

Wasn't until the end of March that game, but yes tough to call which way you'd want it to go, either outcome has goods and bads for us.

Just seen Leicester play QPR after this game, and that was similar to Wednesday last year who played and lost to Forest Green.

Great point, the plot thickens.
We've been here before... on 11:29 - Feb 23 with 2072 views_clive_baker_

The difference IMO was that Sheff Wed weren't ever as good as their league table suggested. A largely aging side of flat track bullies who relied on a bit of fear factor at that level. The underlying performances were never particularly impressive, not least against us.

I think Leicester are a different proposition. They'll lose games of course, everyone does, but they're where they are on merit and because they've got a ridiculous squad for this level. So have Leeds to be fair, but they started slower and have been playing catch up. I think we're far more likely to gain 1 point more than Leeds over the course of the season than 10 more than Leicester.
We've been here before... on 11:30 - Feb 23 with 2060 viewsdavblue

We've been here before... on 11:20 - Feb 23 by TractorCam

Lightening rarely strikes twice...

Let's just see what happens, this isn't a fairytale where everything falls into place for us and we are triumphant, lets see what happens and hopefully we fall on the right side again!!
We've been here before... on 11:42 - Feb 23 with 1970 viewsSitfcB

Whatever happens tonight, we need to win tomorrow.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

We've been here before... on 11:46 - Feb 23 with 1920 viewsVaughan8

We've been here before... on 11:42 - Feb 23 by SitfcB

Whatever happens tonight, we need to win tomorrow.

This. We just need to win our games.

Having said that i'll watch with interest tonight. It doesn't really matter at this stage of the season what happens. However I'll probably side with Leicester winning as my preferred team to win.
We've been here before... on 11:47 - Feb 23 with 1913 viewsusm

We've been here before... on 11:29 - Feb 23 by _clive_baker_

The difference IMO was that Sheff Wed weren't ever as good as their league table suggested. A largely aging side of flat track bullies who relied on a bit of fear factor at that level. The underlying performances were never particularly impressive, not least against us.

I think Leicester are a different proposition. They'll lose games of course, everyone does, but they're where they are on merit and because they've got a ridiculous squad for this level. So have Leeds to be fair, but they started slower and have been playing catch up. I think we're far more likely to gain 1 point more than Leeds over the course of the season than 10 more than Leicester.

Spot on, have an uppie.
Best result for us I think is a Leicester win.
We are extremely unlikely to catch Leicester but we may be able to catch Leeds and a defeat for them tonight would make that a bit more feasible.

FOYSC
Poll: Did Broad just get a hat trick without realising ?

We've been here before... on 11:48 - Feb 23 with 1887 viewsMetal_Hacker

Let’s just make sure we get the 3 points ourselves - the rest will take care of itself

Poll: If it were one or the other

Login to get fewer ads

We've been here before... on 11:52 - Feb 23 with 1847 viewsTractorCam

We've been here before... on 11:30 - Feb 23 by davblue

Lightening rarely strikes twice...

Let's just see what happens, this isn't a fairytale where everything falls into place for us and we are triumphant, lets see what happens and hopefully we fall on the right side again!!

So you say, yet last season we:

Spent the whole first half of the season in 2nd
Hit a 10 game dip in form between games 22-31, dropping to 4th
Started a win streak on game 32

[Post edited 23 Feb 11:52]

Poll: An interesting day for our politicians, but which one is worse?

We've been here before... on 12:01 - Feb 23 with 1734 views_clive_baker_

We've been here before... on 11:47 - Feb 23 by usm

Spot on, have an uppie.
Best result for us I think is a Leicester win.
We are extremely unlikely to catch Leicester but we may be able to catch Leeds and a defeat for them tonight would make that a bit more feasible.

Certainly the best result would be a Leicester win. We all have 13 games to pick up points, and it's Leeds and Southampton we're competing with in all likelihood. If Lids drop 2 or 3 points tonight it would be a wonderful outcome for us. Of course we'll still need to do our bit, but it's not an either / or is it. Give me both and us sitting proudly in 2nd place tomorrow night.
We've been here before... on 12:05 - Feb 23 with 1682 views_clive_baker_

We've been here before... on 11:46 - Feb 23 by Vaughan8

This. We just need to win our games.

Having said that i'll watch with interest tonight. It doesn't really matter at this stage of the season what happens. However I'll probably side with Leicester winning as my preferred team to win.

I understand what you're saying, but mathematically that's not the case. We also need Leeds to slip up somewhere if we're to better them. What better place to start than tonight.

COYF
We've been here before... on 12:23 - Feb 23 with 1563 viewsBad_Boy_Mark

"I think we're far more likely to gain 1 point more than Leeds over the course of the season than 10 more than Leicester."

This is an excellent point - and that mission starts tomorrow
We've been here before... on 12:30 - Feb 23 with 1537 viewstonybied

We've been here before... on 12:01 - Feb 23 by _clive_baker_

Certainly the best result would be a Leicester win. We all have 13 games to pick up points, and it's Leeds and Southampton we're competing with in all likelihood. If Lids drop 2 or 3 points tonight it would be a wonderful outcome for us. Of course we'll still need to do our bit, but it's not an either / or is it. Give me both and us sitting proudly in 2nd place tomorrow night.

Everyone was saying that last year with the Barnsley vs Wed game but if Wednesday had won that game we would've only made the playoffs.
[Post edited 23 Feb 12:31]
We've been here before... on 12:34 - Feb 23 with 1498 viewsMattinLondon

I might well have misinterpreted your post but Wednesday didn’t implode at all. For their last fifteen matches they still averaged 2 points a match - an average that is accepted for the bench mark for automatic promotion. Apologies if I did indeed misinterpret your post.

But, I can’t see anyone catching up with Leicester - they might well lose tonight and lose one or two other matches, but I can’t see it. Saying that, anything can happen and Ipswich have the ability to catch them and Leeds. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I haven’t a clue.
We've been here before... on 12:51 - Feb 23 with 1400 viewsPrideOfTheEast

Agree with that re Sheff Weds last year. Felt the same with Sunderland the year before. We were so much better than We’d obviously the table didn’t necessarily suggest that (although of course this year it does).

Re tonight - we should be hoping for a Leicester win I think. But if Leeds beat them there is a bit of pressure on Leicester over the next few weeks, and they have a tough few games.
We've been here before... on 13:16 - Feb 23 with 1252 views_clive_baker_

We've been here before... on 12:30 - Feb 23 by tonybied

Everyone was saying that last year with the Barnsley vs Wed game but if Wednesday had won that game we would've only made the playoffs.
[Post edited 23 Feb 12:31]

I wasn't saying that, I wanted Barnsley to win it as I always felt like we were objectively better than Sheff Weds and it wasn't out of the question for us to catch them. I don't feel like that against Leicester, they've had a few slips which is to be expected but since the first whistle of the season they've looked excellent. So they should with their squad, but they're up, there's no stopping them. They have incredible depth and could probably afford to only win 7 or 8 more games and go up. I'd be very happy for them to beat Leeds tonight and run away with 1st.

This same conversation came up last time the 2 played and I wanted Leicester to win that one when most were saying Leeds (who did win it). Leicester ain't dropping away, they're far too good. Sheff Weds weren't IMO
We've been here before... on 13:45 - Feb 23 with 1117 viewscressi

Exactly the comments I made about this game 4 for 2 spots is better than 3 for 1. Far from over last season proved it.
We've been here before... on 15:21 - Feb 23 with 937 viewsSarge

I can see Leicester losing more games from here on out than Leeds. Unfortunately though I think they’ve already won too many for it to matter.

If someone can derail Leeds that would be ideal, they have a very easy looking run coming up.
We've been here before... on 17:59 - Feb 23 with 771 viewsronnyd

We've been here before... on 11:52 - Feb 23 by TractorCam

So you say, yet last season we:

Spent the whole first half of the season in 2nd
Hit a 10 game dip in form between games 22-31, dropping to 4th
Started a win streak on game 32

[Post edited 23 Feb 11:52]

We are in a higher division this year though.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024