Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers 06:13 - Feb 28 with 8436 viewsgtsb1966

but this is bonkers. If people take offence to that they're the ones with the problem not BR.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-68416265
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 15:24 - Feb 28 with 1313 viewsChorleyBoy

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 15:10 - Feb 28 by Vegtablue

Now the world has gone mad when you can no longer patronise your dog!

Chorley's "collocates" point is an inspired offering, truly lol, but a quick inspection of his usual sign-offs with this reporter would surely reveal it was intended as a little swipe on account of how the interview went. Gendered language obviously and a gentle put-down to be sure, but I'm not comfortable dumping it on the sexism pile without knowing how he would have addressed a male reporter in the same scenario (and my first instinct mostly is to be a generous marker on such matters).

*It is presumption on my part of course and he may go around saying "good girl" sincerely much like others say "thanks love". It would surprise me!
[Post edited 28 Feb 15:22]

I'm happy to read that you found my first post to this thread both inspired and lol-worthy. Would you care to explain why? If you've got better things to do, don't bother. I'm just curious.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 15:42 - Feb 28 with 1283 viewsVegtablue

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 15:24 - Feb 28 by ChorleyBoy

I'm happy to read that you found my first post to this thread both inspired and lol-worthy. Would you care to explain why? If you've got better things to do, don't bother. I'm just curious.

I think it's an excellent tangent and interesting discussion, but also a clever redirection of the focus in my view that amounts to a misdirection (based on what I watched and my own presumptions: Rodgers' normal language and his intention in the clip). I nearly always misuse "lol" in my writing, often inserting it to intimate that I do not wish to die on the hill of my point or have just found something a little entertaining / humourous. I didn't intend it to come across as disrespectful or dismissive.
There’s very little balance…. on 17:33 - Feb 28 with 1202 viewsNutkins_Return

There’s very little balance…. on 12:50 - Feb 28 by Bloots

…or nuance to any modern day discussions.

Of course if you do try and offer any then you just get accused of “both siding”, which is plainly just the response of a fool that refuses to acknowledge any opinion other than his/her own.

Everything has to be black or white.

Completely. Well said.

Although I don't consider Herbivore a fool (but I do fear I may have both sided with that statement....)
[Post edited 28 Feb 17:34]
Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 17:57 - Feb 28 with 1157 viewsBloots

There’s very little balance…. on 17:33 - Feb 28 by Nutkins_Return

Completely. Well said.

Although I don't consider Herbivore a fool (but I do fear I may have both sided with that statement....)
[Post edited 28 Feb 17:34]

...I wasn't even thinking of him specifically.

There's a couple of other posters who use that as a derogatory term far more than him.

It's the same with people incessantly calling out "whataboutery", when you are merely trying to offer a counterpoint to their opinion.

It makes having any sort of reasoned debate on here impossible once certain posters get involved, and the main reason I don't get involved very often.

Fools, fools everywhere.

Enduringly lovable, intelligent and thunderingly exquisite.

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 18:21 - Feb 28 with 1127 viewsDJR

I think there is a danger of being a bit po-faced about this, especially in a case where there appears to be no intention to offend and the interviewer herself was not offended.

In this connection, it is interesting to consider the Cambridge Dictionary definition of "girl", which appear to muddy the waters.

The UK definition is "a female child or young woman, especially one still at school", and I suppose what is a young woman might depend on your age.

The US definition is" a female child or, more generally, a female of any age", and maybe it this definition which has given rise to expressions like "Girl Power" (adopted by the Spice Girls) and "Go girl!", as well as songs like "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" and "I Kissed A Girl". But whatever the reason, it seems that many young women have been prepared to use the term themselves.

It is also interesting to consider the Cambridge dictionary definition of "boy" which is "a male child or, more generally, a male of any age" as in the phrases "Stupid boy!" or (used in a sporting sense to by adult sporting teams) "Come on boys".

None of this is to say that we shouldn't try to be careful with language where appropriate but let's not go overboard on innocent (perhaps learned) mistakes because there are bigger battles to fight, such as the glass ceiling and equal pay.
[Post edited 28 Feb 18:28]
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 18:29 - Feb 28 with 1102 viewsMK1

Like he said, "some people are just looking to be offended".
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 18:33 - Feb 28 with 1089 viewsDubtractor

I've not been on here all day, but feel I ought to add my views, as I'm sure you're all interested.

Rodgers comment is 100% patronising/condescending, not sure there can be too much debate there, but in the list of things that bothered me today it is very low indeed.

Much lower, for example, than my busy day in the office meaning I've not had a poo yet today.
[Post edited 28 Feb 18:37]

I was born underwater, I dried out in the sun. I started humping volcanoes baby, when I was too young.
Poll: How confident are you of promotion now? Predicted final position...

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 18:40 - Feb 28 with 1071 viewsHerbivore

I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 18:33 - Feb 28 by Dubtractor

I've not been on here all day, but feel I ought to add my views, as I'm sure you're all interested.

Rodgers comment is 100% patronising/condescending, not sure there can be too much debate there, but in the list of things that bothered me today it is very low indeed.

Much lower, for example, than my busy day in the office meaning I've not had a poo yet today.

This is the kind of content we've been waiting for.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Login to get fewer ads

Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 18:41 - Feb 28 with 1058 viewsDJR

Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 17:57 - Feb 28 by Bloots

...I wasn't even thinking of him specifically.

There's a couple of other posters who use that as a derogatory term far more than him.

It's the same with people incessantly calling out "whataboutery", when you are merely trying to offer a counterpoint to their opinion.

It makes having any sort of reasoned debate on here impossible once certain posters get involved, and the main reason I don't get involved very often.

Fools, fools everywhere.

The English language and debate would be much better without manufactured terms such as "whataboutery", "both siding" and "othering". Indeed, I have no idea what the last means, and am not sure about the second.
I'm not a fan of Brendan Rodgers on 18:45 - Feb 28 with 1031 viewsMK1

Is it possible to be busy in an office?
I did a poo very early.... on 18:54 - Feb 28 with 1005 viewsBloots

....this morning, about 7:15.

Which was a strange because I don't usually have one until 11:17.

The consistency was the same as normal though and I feel OK, so I assume it was just a freak occurrence.

Cheers.

I blame social media... on 18:58 - Feb 28 with 993 viewsBloots

Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 18:41 - Feb 28 by DJR

The English language and debate would be much better without manufactured terms such as "whataboutery", "both siding" and "othering". Indeed, I have no idea what the last means, and am not sure about the second.

....teenagers (mods, rockers, hippies etc), the government, Keith Stroud and Gripper Stebson.

End.

I don’t see a huge difference… on 19:33 - Feb 28 with 944 viewsGlasgowBlue

I don’t see a huge difference… on 12:15 - Feb 28 by Zapers

And we all know who that was!

Well you should have turned your phone off.

Iron Lion Zion
Poll: What will be announced first?
Blog: [Blog] For the Sake of My Football Club, Please Go

I did a poo very early.... on 19:43 - Feb 28 with 935 viewsPortmanteauxcurling

I did a poo very early.... on 18:54 - Feb 28 by Bloots

....this morning, about 7:15.

Which was a strange because I don't usually have one until 11:17.

The consistency was the same as normal though and I feel OK, so I assume it was just a freak occurrence.

Cheers.

Shame 'cus you didn't get up 'til 7.30.

Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 20:55 - Feb 28 with 879 viewsWeWereZombies

Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 18:41 - Feb 28 by DJR

Othering is pretty straightforward, a similar tactic to the wilful alienation of a race, gender or perceived social type. In the case of othering it is for social gain rather than a class based alienation specifically exploiting labour for monetary gain. See also status and status anxiety.

Poll: What was in Wes Burns' imaginary cup of tea ?

Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 21:24 - Feb 28 with 842 viewsDJR

Ha! The funny thing is that.... on 20:55 - Feb 28 by WeWereZombies

Othering is pretty straightforward, a similar tactic to the wilful alienation of a race, gender or perceived social type. In the case of othering it is for social gain rather than a class based alienation specifically exploiting labour for monetary gain. See also status and status anxiety.

Thanks for that. I thought "othering" was a recent invention, and didn't know what it meant, but I see it has a basis in philosophy which goes back more than two centuries.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024