Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
I think ive torn my calf muscle today 19:29 - Mar 20 with 2467 viewsnodge_blue

I did my achilles a couple of years back and now this.

Lifting furniture up steps. Felt a kick in the back of the leg feeling and went down like the preverbial sack of spuds. Quite a bit of pain. Cant put any weight on it. Crawling about the house.

Really depressed about it as i know from the achilles it can be a long way back.

And thats probably my football trips to PR done for the season too.

Gutted.
[Post edited 20 Mar 19:30]

Poll: best attacking central midfielder?

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 19:55 - Mar 20 with 1990 viewsWicklowBlue

Don't panic...hopefully not as bad as you fear and shouldn't be as bad as an achilles injury. Obviously depends on the grade of the injury and if it is indeed the calf muscle.

RICE it, is it badly swollen? Can you move your foot back and forward? Can you feel any "dents" in the muscle itself?

If the swelling and pain is so severe after 24 hours or so go get it checked out. I'm not an expert so others may have better advice.

Years ago I did my calf playing hockey as I slipped on the astro. Doesn't sound as bad as yours, but was bloody sore and hobbling. RICE'd it and kept weight off it and the swelling and pain died down. Then I did light exercises such as just slowly rising up on to my toes will standing and back again. Then moved onto doing same on the injured leg carefully, loads of info online. Was back training after two weeks.

Hope it's not a bad tear for you.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:04 - Mar 20 with 1966 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 19:55 - Mar 20 by WicklowBlue

Don't panic...hopefully not as bad as you fear and shouldn't be as bad as an achilles injury. Obviously depends on the grade of the injury and if it is indeed the calf muscle.

RICE it, is it badly swollen? Can you move your foot back and forward? Can you feel any "dents" in the muscle itself?

If the swelling and pain is so severe after 24 hours or so go get it checked out. I'm not an expert so others may have better advice.

Years ago I did my calf playing hockey as I slipped on the astro. Doesn't sound as bad as yours, but was bloody sore and hobbling. RICE'd it and kept weight off it and the swelling and pain died down. Then I did light exercises such as just slowly rising up on to my toes will standing and back again. Then moved onto doing same on the injured leg carefully, loads of info online. Was back training after two weeks.

Hope it's not a bad tear for you.

I can move my foot. I felt the muscle kind of bobble for want of a better word and tear. I really cant put any weight on it at all and its pretty sore to touch. Nhs web site suggests could be grafe 3 tear but im not sure theres much point in going to doctors as the rice treatment seems to be what he will say.

But my morale has taken a big hit. Its like you suddenly cant even do simple stuff like stand in a shower or drive. This feels like a multi week job

The achilles was the worst though as i had to sleep in la surgical boot and inject myself in the stomach daily.

But thanks for the advice.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:15 - Mar 20 with 1937 viewsWicklowBlue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:04 - Mar 20 by nodge_blue

I can move my foot. I felt the muscle kind of bobble for want of a better word and tear. I really cant put any weight on it at all and its pretty sore to touch. Nhs web site suggests could be grafe 3 tear but im not sure theres much point in going to doctors as the rice treatment seems to be what he will say.

But my morale has taken a big hit. Its like you suddenly cant even do simple stuff like stand in a shower or drive. This feels like a multi week job

The achilles was the worst though as i had to sleep in la surgical boot and inject myself in the stomach daily.

Did you completely rupture the achilles? That is one horrible injury!!

I'm lucky during my pathetic sport career I didn't pick up many major injuries. Several stitches, low grade muscle injuries, broken metacarpal 7 weeks to heal.

Worst was smashing my shoulder in a tackle trying to be a big man. Felt fine for a few hours until it swelled affecting the brachial plexus, tried heat pads, ice, voltarol etc etc Just wouldn't go away, struggled to get out of bed, turn my head etc. It go to the point that in work 5 days later I broke down in tears and headed to the doc. Some pain killers and anti inflammatory and was sorted in literally 48 hours. Still plays up at times...

However I'd rather any of the above then when my wisdom tooth went bad!!! Two bottles of wine didn't numb it, rang the dentist on a Sunday morning begging to be seen, anaesthetic didn't numb it...the wave of relief when the búgger was pulled out.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:35 - Mar 20 with 1910 viewsgordon

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:04 - Mar 20 by nodge_blue

Sounds bad, must be really frustrating - ice it as much as you can, it can really make a difference in the long run to recovery times, if you haven't got one make sure you've got one of those packs with the strap that you put in the freezer.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:39 - Mar 20 with 1907 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:15 - Mar 20 by WicklowBlue

Did you completely rupture the achilles? That is one horrible injury!!

I'm lucky during my pathetic sport career I didn't pick up many major injuries. Several stitches, low grade muscle injuries, broken metacarpal 7 weeks to heal.

Worst was smashing my shoulder in a tackle trying to be a big man. Felt fine for a few hours until it swelled affecting the brachial plexus, tried heat pads, ice, voltarol etc etc Just wouldn't go away, struggled to get out of bed, turn my head etc. It go to the point that in work 5 days later I broke down in tears and headed to the doc. Some pain killers and anti inflammatory and was sorted in literally 48 hours. Still plays up at times...

However I'd rather any of the above then when my wisdom tooth went bad!!! Two bottles of wine didn't numb it, rang the dentist on a Sunday morning begging to be seen, anaesthetic didn't numb it...the wave of relief when the búgger was pulled out.

I wondered how people were coping with teeth pain in covid. That feeling you had when you broke down in tears, I think it can be mentally tough to struggle and endure an injury until it’s sorted.

I know I’m feeling sorry for myself but that’s partly cos I know how long stuff can take to get right. Going to lose all the fitness I’d been trying to get back from cycling. Think that caused it actually cos my legs were tight after riding this morning.

Yeah the Achilles was a complete rupture. Probably the worst I’ve done. But also tore both ankle ligaments and dislocated my knee cap when I used to play football. So I’ve had so many I think it’s just worn me down when I start this one. And I’m not so young now either.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:49 - Mar 20 with 1882 viewsWicklowBlue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:39 - Mar 20 by nodge_blue

I wondered how people were coping with teeth pain in covid. That feeling you had when you broke down in tears, I think it can be mentally tough to struggle and endure an injury until it’s sorted.

I know I’m feeling sorry for myself but that’s partly cos I know how long stuff can take to get right. Going to lose all the fitness I’d been trying to get back from cycling. Think that caused it actually cos my legs were tight after riding this morning.

Yeah the Achilles was a complete rupture. Probably the worst I’ve done. But also tore both ankle ligaments and dislocated my knee cap when I used to play football. So I’ve had so many I think it’s just worn me down when I start this one. And I’m not so young now either.

Wear and tear I'm afraid inevitable. Injuries and pain always wear you down especially when you were on the up. I didn't add my exercise bike really helped with the calf strain starting at minimum resistance and moving slowly up.

Eeek can't imagine completely rupturing my achilles!!!

A mate in work who played a decent level of footie over in the US is having his second knee replacement next week. He is freaking out about it as he knows what is involved to get back up walking after it and the excruciating pain. But his motivation is getting back on the golf course, very mentally draining as you say.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:52 - Mar 20 with 1869 viewsBlueForYou

I’m with you on the Wisdom tooth pain. If you’re anywhere near BSE I can recommend an excellent physio who treated an overseas friend of mine who had a calf tear.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:54 - Mar 20 with 1859 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:49 - Mar 20 by WicklowBlue

Wear and tear I'm afraid inevitable. Injuries and pain always wear you down especially when you were on the up. I didn't add my exercise bike really helped with the calf strain starting at minimum resistance and moving slowly up.

Eeek can't imagine completely rupturing my achilles!!!

A mate in work who played a decent level of footie over in the US is having his second knee replacement next week. He is freaking out about it as he knows what is involved to get back up walking after it and the excruciating pain. But his motivation is getting back on the golf course, very mentally draining as you say.

I was thinking about George Hirst and even Wes. George sounds like he tore his hamstring pretty badly as he needed surgery. But that must leave mental doubts about it going again. You can see why players like Michael Owen never quite hit the absolute heights after a few hamstring injuries.

And Hirst has had months on the sidelines too.

Login to get fewer ads

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:55 - Mar 20 with 1856 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:35 - Mar 20 by gordon

Sounds bad, must be really frustrating - ice it as much as you can, it can really make a difference in the long run to recovery times, if you haven't got one make sure you've got one of those packs with the strap that you put in the freezer.

Just went on Amazon and ordered one. Thanks.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 08:43 - Mar 21 with 1612 viewsChurchman

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 20:55 - Mar 20 by nodge_blue

Just went on Amazon and ordered one. Thanks.

In the meantime a large bag of frozen peas and a towel works quite well. They sort of wrap nicely round the damaged area. Just remember not to open the flippin bag or eat the peas!

Sounds a nasty injury, as does the achilles one.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 08:49 - Mar 21 with 1601 viewsHerbivore

Sorry to hear that, mate. As others have said, ice it and rest up and hopefully this acute stage of not being able to put weight on it won't last too long. It sounds like it'll take some time to fully heal but getting to a stage where you can put weight on it and walk hopefully will be a quicker process.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 08:50 - Mar 21 with 1597 viewstractorshark

Tore my calf playing cricket for the first time in 8 years.
Turned 50 last year and said I’d fill in so I could play alongside my son.
Got myself in, got a bit cocky, attempted a quick single and felt a pop in my leg as I ran.
Collapsed in a heap just past the stumps.
Thought it was cramp at first but then couldn’t put any weight on it.
Very painful and has probably put an end to any sporting comeback even if the mind is willing.
Eased up after a couple of weeks but still took 6 weeks to fully recover.
And I still get twinges now if I run for the train.
You have my sympathy.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 08:54 - Mar 21 with 1589 viewsSwansea_Blue

Even a significant tear isn’t anywhere near as bad as an Achilles rupture. I got back on my feet after about a week to 10 days, so there’s every chance you’ll be back at PR soon. You won’t be running there any time soon though.

Try and get it seen to asap and find some proper physio recovery support if you can. I didn’t for mine and now have noticeable mobility and strength issues is that calf still six years later (not stopping me doing anything, but I pick up small injuries now whereas I never used to).

Poll: Do you think Pert is key to all of this?

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:10 - Mar 21 with 1557 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 08:49 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

Sorry to hear that, mate. As others have said, ice it and rest up and hopefully this acute stage of not being able to put weight on it won't last too long. It sounds like it'll take some time to fully heal but getting to a stage where you can put weight on it and walk hopefully will be a quicker process.

Thanks Herbie. Ive already nearly watched all of slow horses season 3!

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:19 - Mar 21 with 1540 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 08:54 - Mar 21 by Swansea_Blue

Even a significant tear isn’t anywhere near as bad as an Achilles rupture. I got back on my feet after about a week to 10 days, so there’s every chance you’ll be back at PR soon. You won’t be running there any time soon though.

Try and get it seen to asap and find some proper physio recovery support if you can. I didn’t for mine and now have noticeable mobility and strength issues is that calf still six years later (not stopping me doing anything, but I pick up small injuries now whereas I never used to).

Thats interesting you were back walking in a couple of weeks? Could you put any weight on it after day 1? I can stand on tip toes with it but theres no way i can lower my heel or try and walk.

I might ring the doctors just to get physio.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:22 - Mar 21 with 1532 viewsSteve_M

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:19 - Mar 21 by nodge_blue

Thats interesting you were back walking in a couple of weeks? Could you put any weight on it after day 1? I can stand on tip toes with it but theres no way i can lower my heel or try and walk.

Yes, get a physio to take a look at it. Much better feedback and probably exercises to aid recovery. I regret not doing that with injuries in my 20s that took far longer to clear up than they should have done.

The other advice in the thread is good but aid that by an expert opinion.

Poll: When are the squad numbers out?
Blog: Cycle of Hurt

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:23 - Mar 21 with 1527 viewsChurchman

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 08:54 - Mar 21 by Swansea_Blue

The physio recovery support is a great idea. I picked up a shoulder injury some years ago and went to see a recommended sports physiotherapist. It made all the difference in rate of recovery and getting full mobility back.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:58 - Mar 21 with 1489 viewsHerbivore

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:19 - Mar 21 by nodge_blue

Definitely worth doing. Quite a lot of GP practices have rapid access to physio through the surgery rather than having to refer you on so worth checking out. I had recurring shoulder problems after dislocating it when I was younger and the GP hooked me up with a physio at the surgery very quickly.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 10:01 - Mar 21 with 1484 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 09:58 - Mar 21 by Herbivore

Definitely worth doing. Quite a lot of GP practices have rapid access to physio through the surgery rather than having to refer you on so worth checking out. I had recurring shoulder problems after dislocating it when I was younger and the GP hooked me up with a physio at the surgery very quickly.

That's what's happened. Ive got a physio appointment without going through the doctor first. So that's good news. Morale has improved a bit.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 10:08 - Mar 21 with 1474 viewsHerbivore

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 10:01 - Mar 21 by nodge_blue

That's what's happened. Ive got a physio appointment without going through the doctor first. So that's good news. Morale has improved a bit.

Good news. They will be able to do a bit of an assessment of the injury as well as recommending treatment, much more useful than seeing a GP to be honest.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 10:12 - Mar 21 with 1464 viewsgeg1992

I tore my calf quite badly playing football.

Getting back to walking didn't actually take THAT long, maybe a couple weeks. Still had pain though.

The whole recovery took many months with set backs as I believe I kept partially re-tearing it when doing silly things like reaching over in my car.

Still feels very tight from time to time now which is annoying but probably more due to my sedentary lifestyle.

Poll: Who would you play in place of Burns on Sunday?

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 10:17 - Mar 21 with 1449 viewstractorshark

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 10:01 - Mar 21 by nodge_blue

Like others, definitely recommend the physio.
I had it after I needed keyhole surgery on my shoulder in my late 20s. Was really sceptical at the time but my shoulder ended up being stronger than ever.
Didn’t bother with my calf because I’m older and thought I wouldn’t play cricket again apart from a few throw downs to my boys in the nets.
Still have no issue with my shoulder 20 years on but the calf feels like it could go again.
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 21:55 - Mar 30 with 939 viewsnodge_blue

Update!

For anyone vaguely interested.

My calf has made a huge recovery in 10 days. It was a partial tear. I can walk slowly with a limp.

So the plan for Monday is a train down and a slow walk, maybe with a walking stick round to the West stand. So if you see a middle aged man struggling spare a thought.

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 22:17 - Mar 30 with 879 viewsChurchman

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 21:55 - Mar 30 by nodge_blue

Update!

For anyone vaguely interested.

My calf has made a huge recovery in 10 days. It was a partial tear. I can walk slowly with a limp.

So the plan for Monday is a train down and a slow walk, maybe with a walking stick round to the West stand. So if you see a middle aged man struggling spare a thought.

Or kick his stick away. Good base level comedy gold.

Only joking!! I’m glad you are making a good recovery 👍🏻
I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 23:38 - Mar 30 with 830 viewsnodge_blue

I think ive torn my calf muscle today on 22:17 - Mar 30 by Churchman

Or kick his stick away. Good base level comedy gold.

Only joking!! I’m glad you are making a good recovery 👍🏻

Thanks. It wasnt a season ending injury but Im in danger of trying to come back too soon for the good of the team.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024