Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History 09:33 - Mar 24 with 4155 viewsKeno

its a little dusty here, and there I a lot of pollen about and I cant help but think that what we are building today in terms of the feeling, the atmosphere, a style a clearly defined 'Ipswich Way" do resonant with the Robson era

a few other random thoughts

apparently it is 'may not be appropriate' to shout 'you effing useless welsh c*** b'stard' when Clive Thomas came on the screen although I did point that is was factually correct

I miss the old Northstand

What a player Beattie was my word you forget just how good

I do care what other team you compare us with there is no one else I would want to support, we truly are the finest football team the world has ever seen

COYBS!!!!!

in case anyone else wants to watch

[Post edited 24 Mar 9:38]

Poll: Should Hoppy renew his season ticket
Blog: [Blog] My World Cup Reflections

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 09:52 - Mar 24 with 3672 viewsStochesStotasBlewe

A thing of beauty.
You are excused your outburst at a certain Welsh referee. It comes naturally to us older supporters. I miss the old North Stand too. My 23 year old son would have loved it.

We have no village green, or a shop. It's very, very quiet. I can walk to the pub.

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 09:54 - Mar 24 with 3659 viewsflykickingbybgunn

Notice the kids sat on the grass and leaning their backs on the wall. Crowd surges that could move you 3 yards at a time without your feet hardly touching the floor.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 09:56 - Mar 24 with 3654 viewsKeno

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 09:52 - Mar 24 by StochesStotasBlewe

A thing of beauty.
You are excused your outburst at a certain Welsh referee. It comes naturally to us older supporters. I miss the old North Stand too. My 23 year old son would have loved it.

would love to see it rebuilt as a single 'terrace'

was an amazing place to watch football front

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:14 - Mar 24 with 3618 viewsChurchman

I actually watched it a month or two back. It’s excellent.

I don’t think there is or ever was ‘an Ipswich way’. I think what there is and was in an ‘identity’ which is not the same thing.

I was lucky to see the Robson teams. Drilling it down, the first was a scratch for results, a brutal player or two at the back (Derek Chopper Jefferson etc) and a player or two throughout the team - Morris, Viljoen, Clarke, Robertson.

The first really good team emerged 72/73. Better players were emerging or coming in. Beattie, Johnson, Whymark, Burley, Talbot and Woods added to Hunter, Viljoen, Lambert, Mills. A cracking team that nearly won the league and certainly deserved to win the cup in 75. It was very much get it up there and or out wide, crosses etc. It was based on fitness and strength. Anyone up against H and B were in for a long day.

The real passing side emerged with the Dutch players. What a team. Its style was very different to what came before. All good. Being young I never realised how lucky we were. Neither did my dad tbf and he’d seen the 62 champions and the teams all the way back to the late 30s. We thought top flight competitiveness would never end. Oh dear.

Clive Thomas? An arrogant a-wipe. Dreadful.

North Stand? I had a season ticket there for 2000/2001. Oh how I enjoyed that. Brilliant. Hreidarsson’s bar dive was a particular abiding memory along with watching Man City go down the pan. They were a real club then. Irony - the only home game I missed was Man United. Marvellous.

Beattie. The crowd would hold its breath when he got the ball and rumbled forwards. What a privilege to see him play.

Regardless of how you view the current owners, what they have done more than anything else of importance is give the club its identity back. It’s smart, it’s vibrant, you can feel the atmosphere long before you clap eyes on the ground. A total contrast to the Evans period and for me the years that preceded it back to Burley’s time. Let’s hope it continues.

No, they’re not the finest team the world has ever seen. But they’re my team and I’m not the slightest bit interested in anybody else. Even watching England is a summer ‘filler’ for me.

A ramble through memory lane - apologies.
[Post edited 24 Mar 10:15]
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:22 - Mar 24 with 3589 viewsKeno

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:14 - Mar 24 by Churchman

I actually watched it a month or two back. It’s excellent.

I don’t think there is or ever was ‘an Ipswich way’. I think what there is and was in an ‘identity’ which is not the same thing.

I was lucky to see the Robson teams. Drilling it down, the first was a scratch for results, a brutal player or two at the back (Derek Chopper Jefferson etc) and a player or two throughout the team - Morris, Viljoen, Clarke, Robertson.

The first really good team emerged 72/73. Better players were emerging or coming in. Beattie, Johnson, Whymark, Burley, Talbot and Woods added to Hunter, Viljoen, Lambert, Mills. A cracking team that nearly won the league and certainly deserved to win the cup in 75. It was very much get it up there and or out wide, crosses etc. It was based on fitness and strength. Anyone up against H and B were in for a long day.

The real passing side emerged with the Dutch players. What a team. Its style was very different to what came before. All good. Being young I never realised how lucky we were. Neither did my dad tbf and he’d seen the 62 champions and the teams all the way back to the late 30s. We thought top flight competitiveness would never end. Oh dear.

Clive Thomas? An arrogant a-wipe. Dreadful.

North Stand? I had a season ticket there for 2000/2001. Oh how I enjoyed that. Brilliant. Hreidarsson’s bar dive was a particular abiding memory along with watching Man City go down the pan. They were a real club then. Irony - the only home game I missed was Man United. Marvellous.

Beattie. The crowd would hold its breath when he got the ball and rumbled forwards. What a privilege to see him play.

Regardless of how you view the current owners, what they have done more than anything else of importance is give the club its identity back. It’s smart, it’s vibrant, you can feel the atmosphere long before you clap eyes on the ground. A total contrast to the Evans period and for me the years that preceded it back to Burley’s time. Let’s hope it continues.

No, they’re not the finest team the world has ever seen. But they’re my team and I’m not the slightest bit interested in anybody else. Even watching England is a summer ‘filler’ for me.

A ramble through memory lane - apologies.
[Post edited 24 Mar 10:15]

when you say "No, they’re not the finest team the world has ever seen" I know what you mean

but they are to me Churchy!!

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:23 - Mar 24 with 3583 viewsDeano69

Brilliant. Is this available in any other format (dvd etc)?

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:43 - Mar 24 with 3518 viewsChurchman

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:22 - Mar 24 by Keno

when you say "No, they’re not the finest team the world has ever seen" I know what you mean

They’re the only team to me Keno.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:45 - Mar 24 with 3510 viewsKeno

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:43 - Mar 24 by Churchman

They’re the only team to me Keno.

!!!

Login to get fewer ads

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 11:37 - Mar 24 with 3426 viewsCheltenham_Blue

I miss the old BBC ident.

Poll: Smooth Mash or Mash with Lumps?

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 12:18 - Mar 24 with 3338 viewssolemio

The finest CLUB the world has ever seen.

The 80 - 81 side was the second finest team the world has ever seen - after 1970 Brazil.

Thank goodness I'm not old. 80 in a few weeks time isn't old is it?
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:21 - Mar 24 with 3177 viewspatrickswell

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 10:23 - Mar 24 by Deano69

Brilliant. Is this available in any other format (dvd etc)?

It was previously released on BBC Video in 1993. I still have my copy, though it did get scrunched up, so I’m not sure how playable it is. My wife has just ordered a new VCR so that she can watch some of her old videos, so maybe I’ll risk it.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 16:26 - Mar 24 with 3093 viewsDeano69

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:21 - Mar 24 by patrickswell

It was previously released on BBC Video in 1993. I still have my copy, though it did get scrunched up, so I’m not sure how playable it is. My wife has just ordered a new VCR so that she can watch some of her old videos, so maybe I’ll risk it.

Thanks

Ouch, kids today will never know the sickening noise of an audio or video tape scrunching up and looking like a grim Christmas decoration.

Hope it works ok.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 16:34 - Mar 24 with 3073 viewsChurchman

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 16:26 - Mar 24 by Deano69

Thanks

Ouch, kids today will never know the sickening noise of an audio or video tape scrunching up and looking like a grim Christmas decoration.

Hope it works ok.

Ah that hope as you tear the tape out of the machine, optimism telling you it’ll be ok but knowing it won’t be.

Those head cleaning tapes - totally useless. Cotton buds and alcohol - waste of time. Splicing good bits of ruined tape? Never worked.

Stack systems where one of the tape players always broke within a year.

Record players where the needle was knackered in no time.

Ahh the good ole days.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 17:54 - Mar 24 with 2972 viewsBlue_badge

I've watched just 8 minutes and the dust is too much - remembering the sheer joy of watching Town in the 70's. Will catch the rest later.
I hope that some among our current squad can make their mark and be remembered years later like Viljoen, Beattie, Hunter, Mills...
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 18:46 - Mar 24 with 2885 viewsbilllm

I miss the north stand a lot of different reasons,
And Muhren what a wand,
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 22:24 - Mar 24 with 2717 viewspatrickswell

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 16:26 - Mar 24 by Deano69

Thanks

Hope it works ok.

No worries if it doesn’t. I watched it so often back in the day that Motty’s narration and the commentaries for every match on there are seared into my mind. It’s great that it’s on YouTube.

It was invaluable at the time as a primer for Town’s ascent under Robson and I’ve subsequently got hold of several books on the era which helped to put all of those matches into full context.

I’d also say that the release of the video itself was very well timed, given that it ends with Town back in the top flight during the good half of the 1992/93 season and Match of the Day back as a regular Saturday night show. There were a number of other similar videos on other clubs that preceded our one which end up petering out with fuzzy footage from goal round-ups during the programme’s Road to Wembley era - nothing to compare with Dozzell burying that header in the bottom corner against Leeds.

Finally, that opening montage with that music still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up now and is begging to be re-edited into a similar montage of McKenna era Town.
[Post edited 24 Mar 22:25]
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 00:26 - Mar 25 with 2605 viewsChurchman

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 22:24 - Mar 24 by patrickswell

No worries if it doesn’t. I watched it so often back in the day that Motty’s narration and the commentaries for every match on there are seared into my mind. It’s great that it’s on YouTube.

It was invaluable at the time as a primer for Town’s ascent under Robson and I’ve subsequently got hold of several books on the era which helped to put all of those matches into full context.

I’d also say that the release of the video itself was very well timed, given that it ends with Town back in the top flight during the good half of the 1992/93 season and Match of the Day back as a regular Saturday night show. There were a number of other similar videos on other clubs that preceded our one which end up petering out with fuzzy footage from goal round-ups during the programme’s Road to Wembley era - nothing to compare with Dozzell burying that header in the bottom corner against Leeds.

Finally, that opening montage with that music still makes the hairs on the back of my neck stand up now and is begging to be re-edited into a similar montage of McKenna era Town.
[Post edited 24 Mar 22:25]

And of course Gavin Johnson (nice little player - shame injuries held him back) burying that header at Anfield.

All behind the goal saw the ball swung in and everybody knew what he was going to do. We all went absolutely mental. My dad was smothered by the great big bloke next to him, so he told me because I’d gone over the seats in front. Absolute scenes.

But yes, that Leeds game was a good un too. And the away 2-0 at Norwich.

It’s a good, well narrated video. I still have it, but no VHS player. Probably degraded by now anyway.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 07:26 - Mar 25 with 2464 viewsDJR

I remember reading an article in a broadsheet (probably the Times) in the season when we won UEFA Cup in which a respected sports journalist (whose name I can't now remember) said that team was one of the finest teams he had ever seen.

Sadly, I've never been able to track down the article.
[Post edited 25 Mar 7:31]
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 07:36 - Mar 25 with 2429 viewsDJR

I haven't watched it all but I noticed the game with snow and an orange ball which brings to mind the West Ham home game when snow fell during the game, the game was stopped for a while to sweep snow from the touchlines, and the game resumed with an orange ball.
[Post edited 25 Mar 8:01]
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 07:46 - Mar 25 with 2404 viewsChurchman

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 07:26 - Mar 25 by DJR

I remember reading an article in a broadsheet (probably the Times) in the season when we won UEFA Cup in which a respected sports journalist (whose name I can't now remember) said that team was one of the finest teams he had ever seen.

I read that too. From a number of sources around that time and right the way up to when Sky invented football and all previous teams and achievements were chucked in the bin.

And it really was an extraordinary team. So close to the rewards it deserved.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 13:43 - Mar 26 with 1909 viewsgainsboroughblue

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 07:36 - Mar 25 by DJR

I haven't watched it all but I noticed the game with snow and an orange ball which brings to mind the West Ham home game when snow fell during the game, the game was stopped for a while to sweep snow from the touchlines, and the game resumed with an orange ball.
[Post edited 25 Mar 8:01]

Was that in 84/85? A fourth round second replay played on a Thursday night, two days after the first replay. We won the toss for home advantage, not that it helped us as we lost 1-0.

I don't remember the players going off but it was definitely bloody cold, not helped by the crowd being about half of what was there on the Tuesday.

Poll: Favourite Norwich Relegation?

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 13:48 - Mar 26 with 1883 viewsDJR

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 13:43 - Mar 26 by gainsboroughblue

Was that in 84/85? A fourth round second replay played on a Thursday night, two days after the first replay. We won the toss for home advantage, not that it helped us as we lost 1-0.

I don't remember the players going off but it was definitely bloody cold, not helped by the crowd being about half of what was there on the Tuesday.

No, the one I remember was in 1970 or 1971, I think.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 14:02 - Mar 26 with 1860 viewspatrickswell

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 13:48 - Mar 26 by DJR

No, the one I remember was in 1970 or 1971, I think.

Based on the following from In Quest of Glory - Ipswich Town FC under Bobby Robson 1969-82 it took place during Town’s 1-0 win over West Ham on 29 November 1969:

“It was debatable whether this game should have been played on a slippery, icy pitch but for an hour it had everything except goals. Peter Morris came closest to scoring, hitting the bar and heavy snow forced referee David Wallace to suspend play for 20 minutes during the first half. Fortunately, the snow stopped and once the lines had been swept clear, the game resumed with an orange ball. Mick Mills struck the vital blow for Town with a first time shot from 20 yards.”

Ipswich: Best, Carroll, Mills, Morris, Baxter, McNeil, Charlie Woods, Collard, Hill, Viljoen & Lambert.
West Ham (manager Ron Greenwood) Ferguson, Bonds, Lampard, Howe, Stephenson, Moore, Redknapp, Peters, Brooking, Hurst & Best

Goal - MILLS (64)
Referee - Mr D. Wallace (Swindon)
Attendance - 17, 454
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 14:46 - Mar 26 with 1822 viewsfarkenhell

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 07:26 - Mar 25 by DJR

Michel Platini said something like this.
Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 15:08 - Mar 26 with 1773 viewsDJR

Watching the Match of the Day Ipswich History on 14:02 - Mar 26 by patrickswell

Based on the following from In Quest of Glory - Ipswich Town FC under Bobby Robson 1969-82 it took place during Town’s 1-0 win over West Ham on 29 November 1969:

“It was debatable whether this game should have been played on a slippery, icy pitch but for an hour it had everything except goals. Peter Morris came closest to scoring, hitting the bar and heavy snow forced referee David Wallace to suspend play for 20 minutes during the first half. Fortunately, the snow stopped and once the lines had been swept clear, the game resumed with an orange ball. Mick Mills struck the vital blow for Town with a first time shot from 20 yards.”

Ipswich: Best, Carroll, Mills, Morris, Baxter, McNeil, Charlie Woods, Collard, Hill, Viljoen & Lambert.
West Ham (manager Ron Greenwood) Ferguson, Bonds, Lampard, Howe, Stephenson, Moore, Redknapp, Peters, Brooking, Hurst & Best

Goal - MILLS (64)
Referee - Mr D. Wallace (Swindon)
Attendance - 17, 454

Yes, that was the game, and I ought to have remembered the date because it was my birthday and I was 10.

In those days, I used to get on a bus from Broke Hall with friends of the same age to go to games. We used to get there when the ground opened (around 1.30), stand in Churchmans and sing songs long before kick-off. At that age it was a real adventure.

We'd then watch the game on Match of the Week the next day at someone's house with Gerry Harrison commentating, and jump about and shout when the goals went in.
[Post edited 26 Mar 15:14]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024