Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit 09:42 - Apr 10 with 3909 viewsChris_ITFC

Scandalous.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-68776913
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:42 - Apr 10 with 2485 viewsDeano69

Every little helps.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:44 - Apr 10 with 2467 viewsDeano69

Microsoft make that a week.

Poll: What view setting do you use for TWTD

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:46 - Apr 10 with 2449 viewsHerbivore

It's not like there's a huge problem with cost of living and food poverty or anything. Sales up 4% but profits up 11% which suggests they've improved their margins, despite supermarkets denying they were using high inflation to bolster their profits.

Poll: Should someone on benefits earn more than David Cameron?
Blog: Where Did It All Go Wrong for Paul Hurst?

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:54 - Apr 10 with 2412 viewsMullet

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:46 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

It's not like there's a huge problem with cost of living and food poverty or anything. Sales up 4% but profits up 11% which suggests they've improved their margins, despite supermarkets denying they were using high inflation to bolster their profits.

Tesco's new approach to the clubcard probably helps massively. If you forget it or don't use it, it adds a huge premium on your shop. Likewise there are so many incentives to getting everything through them e.g. your phone etc. it's easy for them to syphon off a bigger % of peoples' wages each month.

If they can do that with only 10-20% of the population it's no wonder they're raking it in.

Poll: If Cook had the full season where would we have finished?
Blog: When the Fanzine Comes Around

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:57 - Apr 10 with 2389 viewsGuthrum

That's about 3.8% of revenue. Around the same as you'd get from a high-interest savings account.

They are one of the largest companies in the world by turnover.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:00 - Apr 10 with 2366 viewshomer_123

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:57 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

That's about 3.8% of revenue. Around the same as you'd get from a high-interest savings account.

I would add that within this sector, there is also a lot of competition and choice for the consumer if they don't want to shop at Tesco.

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:05 - Apr 10 with 2327 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

So do your shop at Lidl - they lost money in the UK last year keeping prices under control.
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:06 - Apr 10 with 2325 viewslurcher

It's a shop not a charity, other shops are available.
[Post edited 10 Apr 10:07]
Login to get fewer ads

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:06 - Apr 10 with 2326 viewsChris_ITFC

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:00 - Apr 10 by homer_123

I would add that within this sector, there is also a lot of competition and choice for the consumer if they don't want to shop at Tesco.

I do get it - capitalism, competition, etc.

But when we’re talking about a supplier of basic food and drink, it jars somewhat to see people struggling (food banks etc) at the same time as an absolute fortune is siphoned from the average man and woman into the pockets of shareholders.
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:08 - Apr 10 with 2289 viewshomer_123

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:06 - Apr 10 by Chris_ITFC

But when we’re talking about a supplier of basic food and drink, it jars somewhat to see people struggling (food banks etc) at the same time as an absolute fortune is siphoned from the average man and woman into the pockets of shareholders.

Don't get me wrong, I completely understand that and you are right - no one should be struggling, that's not even a discussion is it.

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:10 - Apr 10 with 2274 viewskeighleyblue

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:00 - Apr 10 by homer_123

Exactly, I do exactly that. It justriles me however that Tesco as a British company is so far removed from helping people eat well for less money than its EU based rivals....
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:13 - Apr 10 with 2228 viewsSarge

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:06 - Apr 10 by lurcher

It's a shop not a charity, other shops are available.
[Post edited 10 Apr 10:07]

Yep because Tesco are the only ones making record profits and profiteering from a global crisis. There’s only an illusion of choice for consumers, you will be taken advantage of from all sides.
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:14 - Apr 10 with 2212 viewsTractorWood

There is currently a bull market on defence stocks from various conflicts and possiblity of Trump back in the whitehouse.

I guess the game is the game though....

I know that was then, but it could be again..
Poll: At present who do you think you'll vote for?

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:17 - Apr 10 with 2197 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:13 - Apr 10 by Sarge

Yep because Tesco are the only ones making record profits and profiteering from a global crisis. There’s only an illusion of choice for consumers, you will be taken advantage of from all sides.

See above - Lidl lost GBP 76m in the UK last year so that simply isn’t true.
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:24 - Apr 10 with 2157 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:57 - Apr 10 by Guthrum

Indeed, but why let facts get in the way of outrage. The UK is also a huge market of 70m people, and an additional 20pc of their revenue comes from abroad. Unless we go back to shopping only at local stores firms are going to make huge profits. French chain Carrefour made similar levels of profit to Tesco last year.
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:24 - Apr 10 with 2159 viewshomer_123

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:10 - Apr 10 by keighleyblue

Exactly, I do exactly that. It justriles me however that Tesco as a British company is so far removed from helping people eat well for less money than its EU based rivals....

Food is an interesting one, in 2022 the UK spent around 12% of their annual income on food. Historically, food accounted for a much higher % (upwards of 50% of annual income at times and still does in many Countries around the World).

So, food is 'cheap' in comparison to what it used to be - however, this actually comes at a huge cost in terms of quality and the environment.

Tomatoes - as one example - they stay fresher for longer and therefore can be transported further but the quality of those tomatoes in terms of nutrients is much less than traditional tomatoes.

Not withstanding Chris's point about foodbanks before, the availability of food is far greater than we have ever had, seasonal foods are almost a thing of the past and it's cheap but...as I say, that comes at a cost.

I digress somewhat from the original OP, sorry!

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:30 - Apr 10 with 2131 viewsSitfcB

Shoplifting should be encouraged at places like this.

COYB
Poll: What will today’s 10 pager be
Blog: [Blog] One Year On

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:31 - Apr 10 with 2118 viewslurcher

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:13 - Apr 10 by Sarge

Businesses that don't make decent profits get taken over or cease to exist. There is still a choice, you can shop at independent stores, Waitrose, Tesco or Aldi. Sadly if you don't have money there is no profit to be made from you and you have no choice. Its the world we live in, it is what the majority voted for.
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:42 - Apr 10 with 2055 viewscatch74

On a personal note it does feel a bit sour.
In lock down Rishi Sunak said he’d do anything it takes for the hospitality industry. There were even
mentions of the obvious increased tax burden being loaded onto those businesses benefitting from the lockdowns - supermarkets and online. This never happened.
Our industry is being absolutely decimated, the highest duty raise in 50 years (so well masked by the freezing of the duty on the pint of beer that a number of my customers were confused that we weren’t putting beer prices down.) Increase in minimum wage, whilst I’m all for as a small business with margins shredded by 30% supplier price rises, paying energy bills more than we pay ourselves as owners, the aforementioned duty increase, return of business rates I’m not sure where we fund the rise.
Suoermarket business rates equate to about 2.5p in the price of a pint, pubs it’s 23.5p. Supermarkets don’t pay VAT on food sales, pubs do, at 20%. This was all our industry were asking - to match that VAT, would have saved thousands of pubs and restaurants, now closing in bloodbath in the industry.
Yes it’s a massive business, so small margin of profit and yes there are other supermarkets. The issue is that’s what going to be left, bland mass produced packaged products in a soulless warehouse. Companies able to tell producers what they’ll charge for their product.
It’s not badly run pubs and restaurants closing now it’s people at the top of their game and it’s not because there isn’t customer demand it’s because costs have been driven up by huge energy companies also being allowed to make eye watering profits. There’s been no help, no wherever it takes - there’s clearly a benefit for some people for our industry to die.

Poll: Who are the Numbskulls?

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:48 - Apr 10 with 2018 viewsHerbivore

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:24 - Apr 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Indeed, but why let facts get in the way of outrage. The UK is also a huge market of 70m people, and an additional 20pc of their revenue comes from abroad. Unless we go back to shopping only at local stores firms are going to make huge profits. French chain Carrefour made similar levels of profit to Tesco last year.

It's the facts that are causing the outrage, mate. Not everyone is cool with an increasingly small cabal of massive companies making eye watering sums of monn t while the country crumbled and more and more people struggle to make ends meet. If that's not a legitimate source of outrage, what is?

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 11:05 - Apr 10 with 1946 viewsSuperKieranMcKenna

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:48 - Apr 10 by Herbivore

It's the facts that are causing the outrage, mate. Not everyone is cool with an increasingly small cabal of massive companies making eye watering sums of monn t while the country crumbled and more and more people struggle to make ends meet. If that's not a legitimate source of outrage, what is?

Most of the problems you, and the poster above you have outlined are problems of government policy, not Tesco making an <4pc profit margin. I’m not outraged as I don’t shop there. As I noted I shop mostly at Lidl who lost money last yea, and Asda as it’s cheaper - alternatives are available.

Tesco have never been the cheapest in my lifetime. Of course they will make large profits in such a large and wealthy market, that’s the globalised world we live in now. It’s only because they’ve been cr@p at expanding internationally that they aren’t making more (on a global scale they are far below their peers). Brexit is a bigger problem, it’s led to increased food prices and inflation rates higher the rest of Western Europe - despite being less reliant on Russian gas imports.
[Post edited 10 Apr 11:07]
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 11:05 - Apr 10 with 1943 viewsHerbivore

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:31 - Apr 10 by lurcher

Businesses that don't make decent profits get taken over or cease to exist. There is still a choice, you can shop at independent stores, Waitrose, Tesco or Aldi. Sadly if you don't have money there is no profit to be made from you and you have no choice. Its the world we live in, it is what the majority voted for.

Did we ever have a vote on whether we wanted an economy that distributes money upwards from the masses to a small elite who profiteer from the rest? I must have missed that particular vote.

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 11:08 - Apr 10 with 1923 viewsGuthrum

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 10:06 - Apr 10 by Chris_ITFC

I understand entirely the anger. But "shareholders" is not just wealthy individuals. A large proportion* are ordinary people's pensions, mortgage endowments, savings, plus charities and the like.

* Tho they may be removed by a layer or two of funds invested in other funds. Same as the Arizona emergency workers money went into ORG, a subsidiary fund of which then put cash into ITFC.

Good Lord! Whatever is it?
Poll: McCarthy: A More Nuanced Poll
Blog: [Blog] For Those Panicking About the Lack of Transfer Activity

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 11:09 - Apr 10 with 1903 viewsDarkBrandon

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 09:54 - Apr 10 by Mullet

Tesco's new approach to the clubcard probably helps massively. If you forget it or don't use it, it adds a huge premium on your shop. Likewise there are so many incentives to getting everything through them e.g. your phone etc. it's easy for them to syphon off a bigger % of peoples' wages each month.

If they can do that with only 10-20% of the population it's no wonder they're raking it in.

Ah, yes. The privacy tax
Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 11:10 - Apr 10 with 1890 viewsHerbivore

Tesco £2.3BILLION Profit on 11:05 - Apr 10 by SuperKieranMcKenna

Most of the problems you, and the poster above you have outlined are problems of government policy, not Tesco making an <4pc profit margin. I’m not outraged as I don’t shop there. As I noted I shop mostly at Lidl who lost money last yea, and Asda as it’s cheaper - alternatives are available.

Tesco have never been the cheapest in my lifetime. Of course they will make large profits in such a large and wealthy market, that’s the globalised world we live in now. It’s only because they’ve been cr@p at expanding internationally that they aren’t making more (on a global scale they are far below their peers). Brexit is a bigger problem, it’s led to increased food prices and inflation rates higher the rest of Western Europe - despite being less reliant on Russian gas imports.
[Post edited 10 Apr 11:07]

They are problems largely created by capitalism. This is a fairly route one example of how capitalism enables large corporations to make eye watering profits from money earned by those who don't have very much in the grand scheme of things. Governments can choose to do more to alleviate poverty but until they start meaningfully looking to stop the upwards redistribution of wealth then it's tinkering around the edges.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024