Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? 12:19 - May 1 with 6037 viewsGavTWTD

That's how I feel at the moment anyway. Do you budget for extraordinarily seasons or average ones? And what is average?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:22 - May 1 with 4129 viewshomer_123

Simple solution.

Can we beam matches live to Colchester's Stadium? We'd fill that a few times over!!!!

Just make sure we don't play at home at the same time. Maybe Col U go back to Friday nights (used to love Fri nights at Layer Road)?

Ade Akinbiyi couldn't hit a cows arse with a banjo...
Poll: As things stand, how confident are you we will get promoted this season?

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:28 - May 1 with 4059 viewsearlsgreenblue

Fingers crossed for Saturday, & after next season the attendance picture will be clearer, such a big cost & what that in turn means for potential recruitment going forward.
Thinking Coventry & their demise after a new ground etc, would 5k fill the demand & be worth it financially or go big & up it 10k is that number even possible in the current location / infrastructure?
Or, leave it as is, have a waiting list for season tickets, spend budget on players & consolidate (potential) status in top flight.
What a conundrum.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:32 - May 1 with 3998 views_clive_baker_

That's the problem really, games like Saturday we could probably sell 50,000 in all honesty. But there wasn't such a scramble for Coventry or Cardiff at home. Don't get me wrong we've had excellent attendances but tickets until recently have at least made general sale and in some cases not quite sold out. By and large 35k is probably big enough aside from a couple of games a season if things are going particularly well.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:41 - May 1 with 3855 viewsstrikalite

Thing is if they make the Prem gate receipts mean far less due to TV money etc...
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:44 - May 1 with 3828 viewsKieran_Knows

I suspect that's why they've decide to introduce a season ticket waiting list ... probably to get a gauge of the additional numbers.

Poll: We’ve got super KM, he knows exactly what we need. Woolfie at the back…

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:46 - May 1 with 3784 viewsKievthegreat

I think the goal should be:

- Redevelop Cobbold and add 5k + Hospitality/commercial now with new share investment (maybe that was the plan for the bulk of that money?)
- Wait 5 years to see if we can establish in the PL and if we need any extra capacity, hospitality, facilities, etc
- If we do establish ourselves, add maybe another 5k onto the West Stand, maybe filling in the corner between it and the SAR and or SBR.

Then I think that's that 40k is the realistic max you should make Portman Road. Maybe one other thing would be to make use of the training pitch area and make a much more permanent and bespoke fan park.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:53 - May 1 with 3653 viewsvilanovablue

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:22 - May 1 by homer_123

Simple solution.

Can we beam matches live to Colchester's Stadium? We'd fill that a few times over!!!!

Just make sure we don't play at home at the same time. Maybe Col U go back to Friday nights (used to love Fri nights at Layer Road)?

Keen for us to be established before going crazy. Longer term a further 5k would seem a good start.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:56 - May 1 with 3604 viewsIllinoisblue

Would have been more than big enough for last 20 years, though. And now there’s a significant problem of having to reduce capacity to rebuild Cobbold when demand is at its highest. Unless there’s a way to hire every builder and contractor in the country and have them work 24/7 in a close season and get it done.

Still going with 38,011 as perfect capacity 😄

62 - 78 - 81
Poll: What sport is the most corrupt?

Login to get fewer ads

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:26 - May 1 with 3423 viewsMarshalls_Mullet

Redevelop with the ability to add more capacity if we experience sustained success.

I think the ground is about the right size, just needs updating. 35k max I think.

Poll: Would Lambert have acheived better results than Cook if given the same resources

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:28 - May 1 with 3381 viewstextbackup

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:44 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

I suspect that's why they've decide to introduce a season ticket waiting list ... probably to get a gauge of the additional numbers.

Oh look at me I’m like a mini mark ashton and I know how to act like a CEO. Grow up

😂

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:31 - May 1 with 3336 viewsKieran_Knows

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:28 - May 1 by textbackup

Oh look at me I’m like a mini mark ashton and I know how to act like a CEO. Grow up

😂

How you keeping mate?

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:33 - May 1 with 3315 viewstextbackup

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:31 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

How you keeping mate?

As you can tell from the number of posts… bored out of my brains.

Hurt like fook at times, then fine at others. Just want to pass the aching stage ready for Saturday, but know I won’t be!

Probably won’t be able to conga around Christchurch park Monday at this rate

We’ll be good again... one day
Poll: How many home games do you get to a season

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:36 - May 1 with 3285 viewsblueislander

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:31 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

How you keeping mate?

The redevelopment of the ground was one of the reasons the club went into administration, so it would be a bit of a gamble.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:37 - May 1 with 3263 viewsReuser_is_God

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:28 - May 1 by textbackup

😂

It was me who told him that yesterday to be fair.

Thought he’d have given me the credit but clearly not

Evans out
Poll: Are Burgers the new Cheese?

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:38 - May 1 with 3209 viewsKieran_Knows

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:37 - May 1 by Reuser_is_God

It was me who told him that yesterday to be fair.

Thought he’d have given me the credit but clearly not

Sorry buh, still tired from last night to be honest.

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:40 - May 1 with 3188 viewsReuser_is_God

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:38 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

Sorry buh, still tired from last night to be honest.

Evans out

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:40 - May 1 with 3187 views_clive_baker_

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:44 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

Bloody good shout that Kieran_Knows.

That's the sort of intelligent thinking we've come to expect from you. I'd hate to see others try and take credit for your work.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:41 - May 1 with 3168 viewslurcher

Wouldn't be cost effective to add 5k. I expect 8-10k more seats with a new Cobbold.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:41 - May 1 with 3162 viewsKieran_Knows

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:40 - May 1 by Reuser_is_God

Was alright for you! Although quite happy to take it all in sober to be honest.

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:42 - May 1 with 3152 viewsKieran_Knows

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:40 - May 1 by _clive_baker_

Bloody good shout that Kieran_Knows.

That's the sort of intelligent thinking we've come to expect from you. I'd hate to see others try and take credit for your work.

Up there for dancing, down there for thinking and all that.

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:43 - May 1 with 3138 viewsReuser_is_God

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:41 - May 1 by Kieran_Knows

Was alright for you! Although quite happy to take it all in sober to be honest.

I don’t think I felt any effect from the beers to be honest, the nerves just kept me sober

Evans out

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:44 - May 1 with 3112 viewshoppy

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:32 - May 1 by _clive_baker_

That's the problem really, games like Saturday we could probably sell 50,000 in all honesty. But there wasn't such a scramble for Coventry or Cardiff at home. Don't get me wrong we've had excellent attendances but tickets until recently have at least made general sale and in some cases not quite sold out. By and large 35k is probably big enough aside from a couple of games a season if things are going particularly well.

That is based on what has happened at Championship level again this season - do you really think there will be any Premier League games that don't sell out next season, should we get over the line ok on Saturday?

Poll: Which Which nickname for ITFC do you prefer? poll do you prefer?
Blog: Graphical Blog: I Feel the Need...

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:48 - May 1 with 3064 views_clive_baker_

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:44 - May 1 by hoppy

That is based on what has happened at Championship level again this season - do you really think there will be any Premier League games that don't sell out next season, should we get over the line ok on Saturday?

No I'm sure they will but initially we're talking about 19 games, most of which probably wouldn't benefit from a new stand as it wouldn't be built in time. I think we need to prove our ability to stay at that level first personally, and we all know how difficult that would be given the uncompetitive nature of that division.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:58 - May 1 with 2955 viewsElderGrizzly

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 12:41 - May 1 by strikalite

Thing is if they make the Prem gate receipts mean far less due to TV money etc...

Absolutely this. It's tiny in comparison to TV and is also the reason you rebuild the Cobbold in the PL not in the Championship. You can lose a stand and hardly notice it financially.

I tweeted the stats, but in relation to why TV trumps fan inconvenience rather than this point but the stats back this up too.

I think we would go to 40k depending on cost/space we have but not for 2 or 3 seasons of consolidation in the PL.

As much as they want more fans in, the business case just doesn't stack up straight away.

[Post edited 1 May 14:01]
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:58 - May 1 with 2956 viewsDurovigutum

Every time in history we’ve upgraded the ground the following years have been a financial mess and the team decimated to fund the shortfall. Can we concentrate on the team and properly consolidating for a few years first please? Bournemouth and Luton have proven that ground size isn’t key. This isn’t to say that I disagree with the premise that real fans in the ground is best.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024