Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? 12:19 - May 1 with 6027 viewsGavTWTD

That's how I feel at the moment anyway. Do you budget for extraordinarily seasons or average ones? And what is average?

If you liked my post, please take the time to upvote it. It's very much appreciated.
Poll: Will you watch the Championship Play-Off Final?
Blog: Man v Fat Football - A Personal Blog

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 17:48 - May 1 with 758 viewsbournemouthblue

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:58 - May 1 by Durovigutum

Every time in history we’ve upgraded the ground the following years have been a financial mess and the team decimated to fund the shortfall. Can we concentrate on the team and properly consolidating for a few years first please? Bournemouth and Luton have proven that ground size isn’t key. This isn’t to say that I disagree with the premise that real fans in the ground is best.

It's going to be about four years before we build this new stand

Based on the leaked designs we have seen, it might take us bigger than that 35k mark?

Alcohol is the answer but I can't remember the question!
Poll: Rate this transfer window

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 17:53 - May 1 with 741 viewsBobbychase

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 14:51 - May 1 by NthQldITFC

That 'every time' is twice, isn't it? And the second of those coincided with significant external circumstances (ITV Digital collapse) beyond the club's control. And in neither case did we have massive 'internal' funding behind us.

If not now, when?

Exactly. Circumstances are totally different now. We have to seize the day

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 18:57 - May 1 with 702 viewsBluespeed225

Special section for all the west ham, spurs, arsenal etc Ipswich based fans who’ll flock back. Put them on show!
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 19:44 - May 1 with 668 viewsSchancheITFC

Safe standing areas are the way to go. Better for atmosphere as well
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 20:51 - May 1 with 615 viewsNthQldITFC

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 16:40 - May 1 by dirtyboy

I'm with the 35k route. Any more and when attendances do tail off (sadly, you can't be on the up forever) 18k in a 40k stadium is like having a tiny penis and having a go at rattling the oldest pro in the 'dam, good effort and all, but ultimately a souless experience (so I've heard).

Any development would likely be as mentioned, hotel, bars, restaurants etc. It'll be an event, taking West Ham fans would be a huge tast, they have all that lovely Stratford waterside etc to wander around and the Westfield area, families can make a day out of that no issues.

That ain't happening for a long time unless Ipswich get to host the Olympics in 2040.

Council would have to fill in a few potholes and/or get the Underground out of mothballs before bidding. Not gonna happen. But imagine the beach volleyball on Nacton shores.

# WE ARE STEALING THE FUTURE FROM OUR CHILDREN --- WE MUST CHANGE COURSE #
Poll: It's driving me nuts

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 06:42 - May 2 with 548 viewsEssexBloo

I hope we aim for 37,359.

10,000 more than that lot up the road and for no reason other than being petty and immature.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 06:48 - May 2 with 541 viewsLA_Tractor_Boy

I think 35k is the perfect capacity, but with the option to extend in future.

Okay, if/when the 'big six' come to town 35k isn't enough, but football goes in cycles and I don't want to be sat in a half empty stadium if it all goes t*ts up when Gamechanger sell.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 07:00 - May 2 with 525 viewstiptreeblue

I honestly believe that IF the club can survive in the Premier league for a couple of seasons, the ground will need to be 40,000. There are plenty of people who would start to go with their kid's, just to see other PL team's, which hopefully in turn, will turn their heads to be town fans
Login to get fewer ads

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 07:17 - May 2 with 504 viewsChurchman

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 14:33 - May 1 by _clive_baker_

I'm all for the club doing it, its really exciting and I'm very interested to see any proposals. I just think the priority is probably not actually around increasing the capacity to the max, but how it pays back as an asset that we can generate revenues from 24/7. 35k capacity is probably perfectly sufficient for our needs.

I think this is the key. I’d add that the Portman/Cobbold/East/Chicken Run stand is very old (c1971) and it shows. It is cramped, plenty of restricted views, access poor, little usable space so aside from capacity and commercial issues it has to be replaced sooner or later.

I suspect they are/will be long term planning for the ground as a whole. That’s certainly what MA has repeatedly said. The West Stand has potential because of the space behind so maybe develop that. Facilities for that stand are not the best to say the least. Maybe re-roof it?

Then there is the space behind Churchmans. Maybe house the away supporters in there and give them each a periscope. Sorted.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:14 - May 2 with 473 viewsElephantintheRoom

The answer is in why so many Americans are buying English clubs - the mythical global audience which is an on-line money tap, no construction costs at all and enhanced ‘customer experiences’ at the ground and in themed bars etc. Which can be done with borrowed money and abandoned as soon as they don’t pay. Much better to milk your current customers than spend tens of millions on potentially empty seats…. Whilst reducing your capacity just as the golden goose lays an egg

American owned clubs are probably at the front of the queue to play Prem games in the USA as well

However expect lots of noise about a ‘multiuse stadium’ with some glitzy 3D modelling - that’s de rigeur for added value and attracting ‘new investment’ . That hype will be dialled up to 11.

Have a count of the destitute clubs in the championship who are struggling precisely because they overspent in their few, or very few years in the Prem…. 14 at least. Experience shows that’s the future for Town as well - unless some painful lessons have been learned.

Blog: The Swinging Sixty

That's actually quite measured, for you on 08:20 - May 2 with 467 viewsDyland

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:14 - May 2 by ElephantintheRoom

The answer is in why so many Americans are buying English clubs - the mythical global audience which is an on-line money tap, no construction costs at all and enhanced ‘customer experiences’ at the ground and in themed bars etc. Which can be done with borrowed money and abandoned as soon as they don’t pay. Much better to milk your current customers than spend tens of millions on potentially empty seats…. Whilst reducing your capacity just as the golden goose lays an egg

American owned clubs are probably at the front of the queue to play Prem games in the USA as well

However expect lots of noise about a ‘multiuse stadium’ with some glitzy 3D modelling - that’s de rigeur for added value and attracting ‘new investment’ . That hype will be dialled up to 11.

Have a count of the destitute clubs in the championship who are struggling precisely because they overspent in their few, or very few years in the Prem…. 14 at least. Experience shows that’s the future for Town as well - unless some painful lessons have been learned.

I don't disagree in essence. It's not mythical though.

It's why Sky want Leicester in the Prem, and probably Leeds over Ipswich if more for their UK audience.

Subs innit. And merch. Etc.

You're living in the pre 90s, as has been noted ad nauseum.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:21 - May 2 with 465 viewsrodney76

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:14 - May 2 by ElephantintheRoom

I upvoted it because it holds sense, but nevertheless feel that it is alarmist and exaggerated.

However, we must not get ahead of ourselves, we are one club of so many chasing the dream.
Indeed on 08:27 - May 2 with 458 viewsDyland

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:21 - May 2 by rodney76

I upvoted it because it holds sense, but nevertheless feel that it is alarmist and exaggerated.

However, we must not get ahead of ourselves, we are one club of so many chasing the dream.

Football is going to hell in a dump truck and has been for many years. Nerders is right on that. But that's the way it is for every professional club IF you want to be promoted and win games etc. Otherwise what's the point? I'm almost done with it, and that's whilst loving the last two years.

No one's under any illusion why the yanks bought in. They'd sell to a dodgy nation state if the money was right.

Poll: Does a Season Ticket include away matches?

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:34 - May 2 with 449 viewsArnieM

I've always thought we need a ground of 40k for the PL ..but give our current situation and the explosion of the Town fan base ( mostly dormant fans I feel)... we might need it more than that ..

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:48 - May 2 with 435 viewsrodney76

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:34 - May 2 by ArnieM

I've always thought we need a ground of 40k for the PL ..but give our current situation and the explosion of the Town fan base ( mostly dormant fans I feel)... we might need it more than that ..

Myopic nonsense.
What if we fail? Success can never be guaranteed.
Many clubs could claim that 40, 000 plus in the PL against the giants, but how many for the others?

There is also constant television coverage to compete against, and for this so-called explosion of our fan base to consider.

What about the maintenance costs of a half empty 40, 000 plus ground if the club suddenly struggles to get 20, 000?

Even Nodge has a larger fan-base, and that area expands as well.

We are amongst the many and must accept that and must not get ahead of ourselves as we once did.

As for dormant, what is that supposed to mean. Fair weather supporters? If so, you defeat your own argument.
[Post edited 2 May 8:58]
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:58 - May 2 with 404 viewsbluefunk

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 13:58 - May 1 by Durovigutum

Every time in history we’ve upgraded the ground the following years have been a financial mess and the team decimated to fund the shortfall. Can we concentrate on the team and properly consolidating for a few years first please? Bournemouth and Luton have proven that ground size isn’t key. This isn’t to say that I disagree with the premise that real fans in the ground is best.

That’s not really true though is it. The original Cobbold upgrade was completed in the mid 70’s while we were growing into a competitive team, then the two ends were added just in time for the Leeds FA Cup quarter final in 1975. That said, the Pioneer upgrade was a financial disaster.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 09:00 - May 2 with 395 viewsDJR

I first went to watch Ipswich at the age of 9 when getting into the ground was never an issue, and of course maybe the current demand will fall away in a couple of years if it all goes pear-shaped, but it is a shame if young kids growing up and wanting to get to home games (especially with all our recent success) struggle (along with their parents) to get tickets.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 09:06 - May 2 with 378 viewsChurchman

From what I’ve read Americans are interested in English football because it’s undervalued by a huge margin. Gamechanger didn’t invest in the club because they love the area and felt that misty eyed supporters deserved a return to 1962, 78 or 81. They bought it to make money. To invest in ‘real estate’, get in on booming values of the English game n all that jazz. I can’t see too much of a problem in that providing they do as they say. To date they have.

If you want to invest in US soccer clubs you need considerably more than what they paid for ITFC and you won’t even be getting a fraction of the 20k attending as we had in 2021. The global aspect is an opportunity too. Just look at what the NFL are doing and doing well in Europe and Mexico now.

The last game I went to was autumn 2022 and Jacksonville were the nominated home team. For the first time they’d taken over the bars, food, presentation, merchandise aspect and it was materially better than Wembley’s poor offering (though still hideously expensive). I’d not be surprised if they didn’t make a ton on money from that alone that day. The Americans know how to do things well.

With America by and large you pay your dollar and you get your dollar’s worth. Unlike the U.K. where ripping people off is the default setting. I’m not saying the way the game is going or foreign ownership is all brilliant. It isn’t. Gamechanger have been good for us, but you don’t have to see far to spot a disaster.

The PL? Loathe it. The way all bar the top clubs are starved into penury is ridiculous and unhealthy. But that is not the Americans fault. It’s not ITFCs fault either. We just have to go with it or switch the tv off.

I’m rambling here. The bottom line is that football is not crusty old local businessmen indulging in their local club as some type of private members club paid for by the rough on the terraces. It’s not 60s sepia or Match of the Day with Jimmy Hill and ttfn. It’s 2024 and the world is different.

Despite your assertion that Gamechangers are debt peddlers etc etc, they have been good for us. That is as obvious as night follows day. If they sell up tomorrow to the Romulans, we will be in a better place than we were in 2021. We have a value and a future regardless of what the next month brings.

A football club is the people, the area, its history, its identity. Same as a lot of sports. When owners say they are custodians I’m not sure if they mean it - but in truth they are. If a club is not supported it dies. It’s as simple as that.

Finally, try and enjoy the moment. Times like this are really rare. Living in some unrealistic construct of the past isn’t healthy.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 09:12 - May 2 with 371 viewsArnieM

I think the Club are looking outside of the "football" box tbh guys. If we had a bigger Stadium , we could ( and will) host other events at PR that are not football related, but will earn the Club money .

Think big. I think Gamechanger are ...

Poll: Would this current Town team beat the current narwich team

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 09:27 - May 2 with 351 viewsEuropablue

You are missing the important point that the stand is old and needs replacing anyway. While we have the money it makes sense to address the problem. I think to future proof and in consideration of the increasing population of our part of East Anglia, 40K is a sensible number.
Indeed on 09:30 - May 2 with 336 viewsEuropablue

Indeed on 08:27 - May 2 by Dyland

Football is going to hell in a dump truck and has been for many years. Nerders is right on that. But that's the way it is for every professional club IF you want to be promoted and win games etc. Otherwise what's the point? I'm almost done with it, and that's whilst loving the last two years.

No one's under any illusion why the yanks bought in. They'd sell to a dodgy nation state if the money was right.

Gamechanger have been the propellant behind our amazing assent, but how they make money from buying us is always at the back of my mind. The obvious answer would be to sell the club as a Premier League club. Just maybe, they are buying into football at the right time and a spending cap may mean that clubs can be run at a profit.
35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 09:44 - May 2 with 308 viewsLegendofthePhoenix

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 09:12 - May 2 by ArnieM

I think the Club are looking outside of the "football" box tbh guys. If we had a bigger Stadium , we could ( and will) host other events at PR that are not football related, but will earn the Club money .

Think big. I think Gamechanger are ...

Gamechanger 20 have continued to show more ambition than most fans. An American trait is to think big - and it is their money after all.
Factors to take into account (and that make it very different from previous stadium developments) are:
1) a massive increase in the demand as our target market - it's now 100% of the population rather than 50% due to the inclusivity
2) All the work of the Foundation is to strengthen community links which further increases potential fanbase
3) MA has spoken about "the ground faces the wrong way" - he wants to see a new "face" to the stadium facing the Town
4) Premier League football will bring more interest to the town as a whole - more commerce, new businesses, increased population, all of which are clearly within the vision of MA
5) as mentioned in posts above, more fans = increased commercial revenues from merchandise, plus events hosting for sustained income
6) The Cobbold is very cramped - it only holds about 6500 (?), and if we are replacing it, it makes sense to have a showpiece stand facing the town, with a capacity of 13,000, resulting in a ground capacity of around 36,500.

Also, once the investment is made and the stand is built, that increased revenue is available every year - so over 20, 30 years, you can get several £M additional every single year.

Sure, if we only stay one season in the PL, interest will wane, but I have a sneaky feeling that the ambition of the owners is such that once we get to the PL, they will back McKenna to keep us there. They have said it's a long term project, so even if it involves a yo-yo, that is the place we are headed.
[Post edited 2 May 9:47]

Poll: would you rather

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 09:52 - May 2 with 290 viewsBobbychase

35k capacity ground isn't even enough is it? on 08:48 - May 2 by rodney76

Myopic nonsense.
What if we fail? Success can never be guaranteed.
Many clubs could claim that 40, 000 plus in the PL against the giants, but how many for the others?

There is also constant television coverage to compete against, and for this so-called explosion of our fan base to consider.

What about the maintenance costs of a half empty 40, 000 plus ground if the club suddenly struggles to get 20, 000?

Even Nodge has a larger fan-base, and that area expands as well.

We are amongst the many and must accept that and must not get ahead of ourselves as we once did.

As for dormant, what is that supposed to mean. Fair weather supporters? If so, you defeat your own argument.
[Post edited 2 May 8:58]

Norwich do not have a larger fan base than us.

Poll: Who's going to be at the Bolton game?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© TWTD 1995-2024